u19 --> reserves

at what age do you put u19 players into your reserves?

I used to do it at age 17 immediately, so they get full training, lately I have been leaving them in the u19 until they either turned 19 during their last season down there, or when I had a really amazing talent, which would IMO be wasted in the u19.

and does the training difference at that age make a massive difference, or will a talent develop either way?

Training and competitive matches each play their part.

I give fulltime contracts to the 17 year olds I feel deserve them, then I move them up to the reserves. I leave the rest in the U19's until their contract expires or they convince me (attribute wise) that they deserve a fulltime contract and a trip to the reseveres.

I'm sure if you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different answers though :)

I have Hibernian as a feeder club. Being Man. United, I'd have thought they'd play at least some of the youngsters I send them. A couple of seasons back, they played Febian Brandy a lot. But nothing since.

I promote my u18s when they're needed. I want my back ups to be the reserves, and the under 18s to play in the under 18s. In other words, I'll promote them if there's a free spot in the reserve side, but only then.

i'm trying to blood some 16/17 year olds in my first team. i called one up for international duty last time out, he was the best available aml, even though he's not great at the moment, although he is going to be good enough anyway.

generally, if the coach recommends a player in the new intake of yth players, he will be offered a full time deal and put straight in the reserves.

Funny you should ask, was thinking the same thing when playing earlier! Have just bought a 17yrs striker who has amazing potential according to my scouts. Now I don't know what to do with him?!?

Think I will use the same technique as some mentioned and look to try and be as real as possible, such as Wenger with Walcott. I'm pretty certain (please correct me if I am wrong) that Walcott was playing in the reserves when he first moved to Arsenal rather than the U18's, as this would obviously not have much beneficial effect on a player who has already played senior football. And Wenger does not seem to do too bad with his 'kids,' maybe we should follow his lead?

What I tend to do is, leave them in U18, but if they are one of the bigger talents in the squad, I try and give them about 10 games (if possible) in the 1st team a season so that they can get a taste of first team football, and this tends to have benefits for me.

in the past i would look at my yoots PA and just dump anyone with less than 150 (yeah i know its cheating but it was ages ago!) and promote the ones i had up to the reserves as soon as they looked like more rounded talents instead of just raw nobodys.

I never actively move players from the U18s to the Reserves because I find that if they're good enough, they play for the Reserves as well anyway?

Yes, this is true. It can be a problem, as sometimes the ass man doesn't understand they need a rest. I've ended up with 17 year olds playing 20 matches for the U18s and another 20 for the reserves in a season - a bit much for someone of that age. But I never move them up till I have to, they need time to develop mentally. More time scrubbing boots and turning out in front of 200 people on wet wednesday evenings is good for them.

Archived