How often do you have this...

''should have accepted the previous proposal'' feeling?

Today I started chasing Edison Cavani. I have 10mil transfer budget, also a chance to sell one player to get some extra 5mil. I make a 10mil bid. They answer that they want 13mil. I offer 10mil + 50% of next transfer (what I think is a really good offer for such a young talent). They reject it. So, I sell that one player I mentioned before, now I have 15mil to spend. Make a 15mil bid. They want 20mil now... Oh, go to hell...

I had something similar with Ilsinho. I am trying to sell him because he's a regular bench warmer (thanks to Menez and Fernandez), but still a nice player. Napoli offers 5mil for him. Ridiculous. He's more talented. Bayern offers 6mil. Still far from his real value (I am few years into the game and Ilsinho has developed radically). Rejected. Now, the next transfer window. Offer him to clubs for 3mil because his wage is too high for a bench warmer and I simply want to sell him. No interest. Ok, for 1mil then... Still nothing. For 0? Nothing.

To be honest, i had something similar in one of my fake player games.

David Jackson was worth £3.7M to Sheff Utd (in FM 07) and was by far one of my better players. He had received interest from Wigan and Portsmouth. I said that I wanted £3.9M (stupidly, mind), and they both offered that amount. I said no, and asked for £4.3M as a result. Both pulled their offers, and I heard nothing more from them. >_<

There are some quite serious issues with trying to offload decent players for £0. I mean IRL titus bramble found a club to play for so anyone should be able to go for 0 :D

summed up there pretty nicely!!! :thup::D

I do occasionaly, slightly different tho, seems like every time (although I'm sure it's just me being paranoid) I get a bid of monumentous proportions for my star player and I tell them where to get off, he then goes and gets a really nasty injury and is never the same again

If he has been a bench warmer for a long period of time i.e. between Aug and Jan, then clubs are going to lose interest surely. Also have the previously interested clubs strengthened their squad and maybe just not need him now?

Still, why not to take him for 0?

The same reason you want rid of him, wages. If the other clubs have already signed another player in that position they may not want to take his wages on, whether he costs them noting or not.

This is a symptom of all transfers throughout the game. When trying to buy a player from Oldham for £400K, they asked for £480 + 205 sell on. I bid £500K + 10%, they ask for £600K + 35% sell on + friendly (this is on the second last day of the summer transfer market). With me trying to avoid the friendly, they were eventually asking me for £1.2M + 50% sell on + friendly, for a player worth £400K

^^

I don't see anything wrong with that, they are trying to milk as much money as they can out of you especially considering you've been willing to up your price each time. I usually set my offer as non-negotiable when this happens and they either accept or reject, there's plenty of other fish in the sea for us managers so it's their loss.

I generally think about the wages when offloading a player for no or little money. If I have a 32 yr old on £10000 a week that I want to offload, I will see if I get any offers and if not terminate his contract. Nobody likes to lose money but if you think about it, the pay off comes from the general bank account, not the transfer kitty and the wage money that becomes available can be filtered into the transfer kitty. But, you're right about the Titus Bramble thing. If you have a half decent player, some desperate team will snap them up; just have a look at the Leeds Utd squad!

I see something wrong with it. Clubs set an asking price and either wait til someone bids it or dont sell, they don't suddenly raise their asking price. Maybe on the odd occasion but it happens too often in FM.

I don't agree Neji (although I do agree it maybe happens too often in FM), if Everton had went in for Gareth Barry this season I honestly don't think they would have been quoted £18m for him, whereas the perception is that Liverpool have more money and so can afford it. Look at Peter Crouch, Spurs and Arsenal are reported to be interested and Benitez says he'll cost £16m, weeks later and he's sold for £11m to a team that would never have stretched to the original asking price.

I hate the ai negotiating the wrong way, they nearly always up their asking price and Ive never seen them lower it. Transfers are so annoying and unrealistic that I just use FM Genie to see the asking price, its better than the ******** ai farting about with their price and when you finally agree, they decide they want 50% more.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from but thats a different matter really. You are talking about different clubs. The quotation for Barry is for Livepool, they havent coughed up so Villa haven't sold.

Im talking about a team increasing a price for now reason, to apply it to real life.... Villa say they want 10m from Liverpool. Liverpool offer 8m. Villa now say they want 14m. Liverpool offer 13m. Villa now say they want 18m. That doesn't happen IRL very often.

I see something wrong with it. Clubs set an asking price and either wait til someone bids it or dont sell, they don't suddenly raise their asking price. Maybe on the odd occasion but it happens too often in FM.

Exactly, it might happen with several teams bidding but not just one. It happens virtually every time in FM.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from but thats a different matter really. You are talking about different clubs. The quotation for Barry is for Livepool, they havent coughed up so Villa haven't sold.

Im talking about a team increasing a price for now reason, to apply it to real life.... Villa say they want 10m from Liverpool. Liverpool offer 8m. Villa now say they want 14m. Liverpool offer 13m. Villa now say they want 18m. That doesn't happen IRL very often.

Ah right, yes can't really argue with that. I do think that it's more the AI saying we don't want to sell this player rather than negotiating, it's just implemented poorly.

In relation to the OP it is quite reasonable for a team to request more money if they think the buyer can pay it (you are now richer than you were) , also they may be negotiating just to keep their player happy by making it look like they might sell to a bigger team etc these negotiatiosn i can understand but yes there are many other things wrong with the transfer system.

I have regrets in a similar vein, but not quite the same. As I often do I was putting in bids for numerous players towards the end of the January transfer window with Fiorentina and trying to sell off others to raise cash etc - then see what deals were on the table, delay some etc etc to try and pick the best ones. Anyway, I was trying to build a core of young Italian players and managed to get a ~£13 million bid accepted (1st season) for Torino's Alessandro Rosina and he agreed terms, but I had a few deals on the table and didn't quite have enough money so I opted for Kevin Nolan for £8 million instead (I was in need of someone who could play DMC too and he's one of my favourite players) and didn't quite raise the £13 million before the end of January so the deal fell through. The following summer and a few times after that I tried again, but the price was going up way faster than my transfer budget and then Inter Milan strode in with one of their typical silly deals where they pay loads of money to co-own him, but let him stay at Torino. Then a season later Juventus eventually bought out both Inter and Torino's halves for a total of £36 million...if only I'd been able to raise that extra ~£2 million I was short in that first January transfer window... :(

Archived