Stadiums of Fallen Giants

I've had a couple of saves on this FM where i've seen big clubs (perhaps not giants but big nonetheless) freefalling through the divisions. In one save i witnessed Fulham go from the premiership to the conference south in about 10 years, and in another save i've seen Everton fall the the premiership down to league 2 (and eventually get back to the championship).

Often i've noted that the reason for this freefall is a distinct lack of money and these clubs continually getting punished for this with point deductions. Consequently one thing i've noted is you end up with these teams in the bottom division still playing in 30,000 capacity stadiums. Now surely if the finances were so poor a club would have to sell their stadium and eveventually move out if they still could not pay the rent (a likely situation for a club with small gates). This is something i've never seen and was basically wondering if it was at all possible, or if it would be a good idea to include it in a future version. Therefore making it slightly more realistic and meaningful when trying to revive one of these clubs.

The problem is clubs will be in a catch-22 situation.

Their existing stadium acts like a millstone around their neck yet if they sell up & move to a smaller purpose built ground then theye giv up the one thing that will help them should they rise up the divisions.

In reality former big clubs that fall on hard times either recover or the ground slowly rots until it has to be demolished.

Fulham survived on mine by the skin of thier teeth, from relegation and the 10 point deduction on 1 of mine.

and there are some crazy freefalls (had 2 teams drom from L1 to BSQ in 2 seasons)

but the real big clubs i see never fall, although Leeds look like being relegated on my utd save :)

I've not seen the huge ones fall either, though rarely when people do the holiday experiments you see a Man u or newcastle etc down there stillplaying in 50000+ stadiums

Stands have been closing in the game since CM01/02. Clubs can't maintain them to the required standard and they get closed down on health and safety reasons.

If a club recovers and finances improve, then they can reopen the stands.

Stands have been closing in the game since CM01/02. Clubs can't maintain them to the required standard and they get closed down on health and safety reasons.

If a club recovers and finances improve, then they can reopen the stands.

Huh wow thats great to know thanks, only asked just because in 12 years of fm ive never really noticed it, next time i see a big club do poorly for a long time imma check it out!

As a supporter of Charlton, the last thing I would ever, ever want the club to do is leave The Valley again.

For those than dont know we lost the ground and spent years and years trying to get it back. We had to groupshare with mikey West Ham and The Nigels. A club would only sell its stadium as a last resort before liquidation of the club itself. It is such an important asset which mostly is irreplaceable (from a fans pov)

On FM, I have seen liverpool get relegated twice. Once because of my hilariously bad mates managing skills. After seeing him sell Torres, Gerrard, Alonso and Masch (big accepted for him by the board)

Chelsea were bottom after 12 games until I joined from 2nd place Swansea. Signed benzema and ganso and gonna climb up the table now

Archived