Young Players & Their Attributes

Hey all,

Just wondering what attributes are most in important when looking at signing young players...

I'm currently managing Canvey Island in the BSN, and I have to sign all my players from young players released from football league clubs...

So my question is...

What attributes are more important, physical, technical or mental...which of these attributes are the slowest to develop?

Cheers in advance

Physical attributes develop fairly easily as a young player, then become very hard to increase. Mental attributes increase easily for older players, but it is very hard to get a young player to develop them. Technical attributes are at a constant medium.

I think the most important thing is high determination, because that makes it easier to develop other attributes and also has a big effect on the pitch. Also look for players with good personalities.

Physical attributes develop fairly easily as a young player, then become very hard to increase. Mental attributes increase easily for older players, but it is very hard to get a young player to develop them. Technical attributes are at a constant medium.

I think the most important thing is high determination, because that makes it easier to develop other attributes and also has a big effect on the pitch. Also look for players with good personalities.

What personalities are the good ones?

What do you mean by constant medium, that they increase as fast weather they are young or old?

Personalities that I look for amongst younger players as a rule in no order...

Fairly determined

Determined

Model Professional

Enthusiastic

Ambitious

Players will work hard and improve more if they fill in under 1 of these. Some people may argue the last one but an ambitious player will want to improve to move to a bigger club but he is still worth getting if he is potentially going to be good.

Cheers mate, I always tried to avoid ambitious players but the more I think about it, the more they are a better option(more drive and all that)...

Sorry now but I've another question...At what age will physical attributes stop(or slow down) developing?

I'm only asking, as I'm currently looking at 20 year old CB whose physical attributes aren't the best, but technically and mentally his a lot better than my current crop of nobodies...

Would be looking to develop his physical game the minute I get him in

This isnt a shot at SCIAG but I think that the game fails miserably when it comes to personalities. IRL even dumber folk try to pretend that they have better personalities than they really have. It would be awesome if the game hid some personality ratings but saved how players responded in key situations; ie, Player X received his university degree while maintaining a high level of training; or Player Y has been sued by three women for child support; or Player Z played through the pain of a sprained ankle to lead his club to victory. Notes could make the scouting experience a bit more difficult and real.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/16356-FM-Personality-Guide

The best personalities, in order of appearance:

Model Citizen

Perfectionist

Determined (may lack professionalism)

Resolute (may lack ambition)

Driven (may lack professionalism)

Model professional (may lack ambition and determination)

Professional (may lack ambition and determination)

Ambitious/Very ambitious (may lack professionalism and determination)

Spirited (may lack ambition and determination)

Fairly professional (may lack ambition and determination)

Fairly ambitious (may lack professionalism and determination)

Fairly determined (may lack professionalism and ambition)

Resilient (may lack professionalism and ambition)

The rest may lack all three and should thus be avoided.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/16356-FM-Personality-Guide

The best personalities, in order of appearance:

Model Citizen

Perfectionist

Determined (may lack professionalism)

Resolute (may lack ambition)

Driven (may lack professionalism)

Model professional (may lack ambition and determination)

Professional (may lack ambition and determination)

Ambitious/Very ambitious (may lack professionalism and determination)

Spirited (may lack ambition and determination)

Fairly professional (may lack ambition and determination)

Fairly ambitious (may lack professionalism and determination)

Fairly determined (may lack professionalism and ambition)

Resilient (may lack professionalism and ambition)

The rest may lack all three and should thus be avoided.

I'd rank the personalities where you say 'may lack determination' higher, because determination is visible and doesn't have to be guessed from the personality.

I'd rank the personalities where you say 'may lack determination' higher, because determination is visible and doesn't have to be guessed from the personality.

Well yes, but since Determination is something you know, you can more easily dismiss good players with those personalities if their Determination is low - since that is something you should rank pretty high. 14+ Determination is desirable, and 16+ Determination rules out most cases of the personalities that -may- lack Determination, since Determination has presedence when these descriptions are given (followed by professionalism). This means that you would not want a Fairly Ambitious/Professional/Determined player if his Determination is lower than 14; that would mean that both ambition and professionalism are 13 or lower.

Well yes, but since Determination is something you know, you can more easily dismiss good players with those personalities if their Determination is low - since that is something you should rank pretty high. 14+ Determination is desirable, and 16+ Determination rules out most cases of the personalities that -may- lack Determination, since Determination has presedence when these descriptions are given (followed by professionalism). This means that you would not want a Fairly Ambitious/Professional/Determined player if his Determination is lower than 14; that would mean that both ambition and professionalism are 13 or lower.

Yep, agree with that. Something else to note, which I presume you know but might be new to others, is how much professionalism helps in keeping up good relations with a players from contract negotiations and private chats to fines. It really does make a difference in keeping a better atmosphere around the club (and can lead to better results due to better morale).

• 5 years later...
10 minutes ago, StevenCopland said:

Came across this old thread and wondered if this is the same for fm17 regarding attributes. I've always been unsure of what to look for when trying to buy that wonderkid.

A lot of it is still valid but its also difficult to find perfect players and you often have to make allowances in some areas.

In terms of attributes you can highlight for each position/role the attributes needed for that role.  They are split into key & secondary, look for players with good attributes in those areas, I generally go for a more rounded player than one that has low attributes in one or two key areas.

In terms of hidden attributes scout potential signings as much as you can and take note of the strengths/weaknesses.  I particularly look for consistency, big matches, intelligence & professionalism.  I stay away from those that are red weaknesses, I consider yellow weaknesses.  Having an odd player with yellow inconsistency isn't a problem but you don't want 20 players like that.  LIkewise a player with yellow inconsistency as the only weakness isn't a problem but if he has yellow weaknesses in consistency, big matches & intelligence I would probably give him a miss.

Hidden attributes are also linked to personality, aim for positive/neutral personalities, don't sign negative ones and you'll generally do ok.  This guide is a good summary of personalities: http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/players/player-personalities

Do Regens grow, up to a specific age, or are they "regen'd" at their final height

For real life youth players we might see the relevant AR updating this, not so obviously for regen'd players for which this could be very key for specific player positions

Excellent, thanks Hunt3r.

Something mentioned in another forum was the average height of goalkeeper regens and whether they meet what is by today's standards the expected height for a successful goal keeper. It would be interesting to understand what the in game parametrers are for this and if they are in-line with modern expectation

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, MrPompey said:

Excellent, thanks Hunt3r.

Something mentioned in another forum was the average height of goalkeeper regens and whether they meet what is by today's standards the expected height for a successful goal keeper. It would be interesting to understand what the in game parametrers are for this and if they are in-line with modern expectation

They will be based, within a margin of variation, on the original DB.

16 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

They will be based, within a margin of variation, on the original DB.

So i think the question / statement is:

1. For youth GK's in the start db they will grow subject to specific SI parameters with variation based on their height data in the db. Thats fine and upto AR's to set this right as best they can

2. For regen GK, and I think this is the key point, are the regen GKs getting created at a realistic starting height that reflects that in current football a successful GK need to be around a minimum of 6ft 1 if not more. That seemed to be the issue being reported that most were around 6ft. Of course we may need to soak test sufficiently to put some evidence together to substantiate this. However the point is could someone check the SI GK regen parameters for height etc

Archived