New To Soccer

I am relatively new to soccer. I live in Minnesota, so we don't have soccer here. I usually watch during the World Cup (like most Americans). I was just wondering if there is anyone on here that would be willing to help me out. I have AIM and Gmail chat if that would help.

Thanks,

Kevin

I am relatively new to soccer. I live in Minnesota, so we don't have soccer here. I usually watch during the World Cup (like most Americans). I was just wondering if there is anyone on here that would be willing to help me out. I have AIM and Gmail chat if that would help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Have Steam by chance?

I actually haven't gotten the game yet. I'm still debating, so therefore was wondering if anyone would be willing to chat on AIM, GMail, or something to help me out. I know there is tons of help on the boards, but I find chatting with someone helps out more.

I actually haven't gotten the game yet. I'm still debating, so therefore was wondering if anyone would be willing to chat on AIM, GMail, or something to help me out. I know there is tons of help on the boards, but I find chatting with someone helps out more.

Ah, sure thing. I'd be willing to help you out. Gmail perhaps?

Thanks,

Kevin

You guys got the Minnesota Stars of the NASL. Not sure if any of your sports channels have them on TV, but there's good quality soccer in Minnesota too. They won the league in 2011 too. :thup:

Thanks,

Kevin

If you can get Match of the Day over there on i-player, I recommend watching todays final EPL fixtures, especially Man C v QPR. You won't learn much about tactics from it, but you'll understand why football is the greatest game on earth. ;):lol:

I live in Minnesota, so we don't have soccer here.

I believe most of the major cable and satellite providers in the US now offer "Fox Soccer." Obviously, unless you already have it and don't realize it, you probably won't want to make that investment just yet... but I can assure you that football is available everywhere in the US. You can also catch a lot of games through the ESPN3 web site which you can also watch on your TV via an X-Box.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to play FIFA '12 first. The gameplay is not as realistic as the match representations in Football Manager, but it's probably the best console-based sports game ever made and directly controlling the players will give you a good sense of the basic rules of the game (there's also a simplified "Career Mode" which allows you to manage a team). After that, watch the Euros (I believe they'll be aired on ESPN and the ESPN3 site/app) and, if you enjoy it, see what kind of sports packages your television provider offers to see if you can start following the major European leagues. If you're really interested in tactics, you should read "Inverting the Pyramid" which will give you a very thorough understanding of what Football Manager is all about. With that said, I wouldn't delve directly into Football Manager, as it can be overwhelming and frustrating to newcomers, even those who are lifelong fans of football.

You should also watch the European Championship this summer. I'm sure it is streamed on itv.com if its not on your TV over there.

As an Englishman over in the USA I find there is no shortage of football/soccer on the telly here. Between ESPN, ESPN3 and the fox soccer channels I get to see the majority of premierleague games with a lot of Spanish, Italian, French and Mexican football televised too. The Euro's are all being broadcast too, probably everygame will be on over here like every major tournament is.

Today for example was end of season day in England, I think 5 of the matches/games were televised live. I find it better here than it was in England for watching football on the tv without having to pay a lot for it.

As an Englishman over in the USA I find there is no shortage of football/soccer on the telly here. Between ESPN, ESPN3 and the fox soccer channels I get to see the majority of premierleague games with a lot of Spanish, Italian, French and Mexican football televised too. The Euro's are all being broadcast too, probably everygame will be on over here like every major tournament is.

Today for example was end of season day in England, I think 5 of the matches/games were televised live. I find it better here than it was in England for watching football on the tv without having to pay a lot for it.

I agree. I moved to North Carolina just over a year ago (Was a season ticket holder back home at Spurs) and today I got to watch the Spurs v Fulham game on FOX Soccer. My mates back home said they couldnt watch the Spurs game but will have to watch the highlights later.

FOX Soccer and ESPN...also Gol TV... you get a lot of football (Soccer) on TV here in the US.

Sometimes I wish I could start watching football again with a completely fresh view. Without any of the prejudices, sentimentality or hero worship of vaguely clogger-ish League 2 midfielders getting in the way.

Hopefully the OP can post more in this thread so we can all help and experience the wonder of finding out about the game 'from new'.

main rule in football: you can buy championships

No you can't. You'd get done if you were caught trying to BUY the championship.

You can buy good players, who still have to perform week in week out, score more goals than anyone else (well that helps) as does conceding fewer than anyone, and doing the double over your nearest title challengers. You have to rotate the squad relentlessly while keeping big egos and a couple of reckless characters happy, and win back a very talented player who's vowed never to come to your city again - even on holiday, ever.

If you can manage to achieve all of that, you might win a championship - but you can't just buy it.

It is the same in a lot of countries around the world. We get 4-5 Premier League games a week on Sky Sports but in places like South Africa they get near enough every game shown live.

Not in FM! It's easy to win without breaking the (virtual) bank in this game...

i know (i actually love to buy only young talents and develop them, seeing their initial value go 10x, and barely spending any transfer budget), but im talking about actual football

Archived