Direct Free Kicks

I've read on here that allegedly goals from direct free kicks are fairly uncommon and it is something I have noticed in one of my own saves as well. I hardly ever score from them and I always seem to get piles of them, which are usually wasted. My taker was Steven Gerrard. However in another save I seemed to score quite a few of them regularly and this time my taker was Nene from PSG. Anyway I wasn't here to moan as no game is ever perfect; but is there any setting I can select that reduces the frequency of my player deciding to shoot, in the case of Steven Gerrard, and what attributes are needed for a free kick taker apart from the obvious 'Free Kick Taking' so I can see if there is anyone I should replace Gerrard with. Thanks in advance! :thup:

I think things like technique and composure are needed, although Steven G should have high attributes in these areas. Also i believe some ppm's have a huge influence on them like curl's ball, hits free kick with power. Have a look at Nene and see where his attrubutes are higher than Gerrard.

I did believe their was a problem from these, but I think that its not too far off reality in regards to the amount of goals scored from DFK's. If you are getting between 2-5 a season then its probably about right.

I think it depends a lot on PPM's rather than stats.

You can have a taker with free kicks, technique, long shots and all that stuff at 20, but if he has Hits free kicks with power, he will score rarely. You can have takers with 12's, but if they have the right PPM's they'll hit 3-4 a season.

I think it depends a lot on PPM's rather than stats.

You can have a taker with free kicks, technique, long shots and all that stuff at 20, but if he has Hits free kicks with power, he will score rarely. You can have takers with 12's, but if they have the right PPM's they'll hit 3-4 a season.

My dear Porthos, which PPM are you talking about? I find that PPM like "hit free kick with power" brings more goals. My C Ronaldo scores quite often with it from long range (30-40 yards). Maybe Aramis will give us more insight to this.

I've always found that the PPM 'Hits Freekick with Power' is a great one to have for freekick takers in the top end of the game. In lower leagues though it should be avoided like the plague. In the lower leagues, it seems like pot luck, as the way freekicks are scored 90% of the time is when the keeper positions himself poorly, and the taker just places it into the goal.

Most of the powerful freekicks hit the wall, especially from ranges below 20 meters. At that range Curls the Ball or no PPM seems to be better. I suppose that is just like it should be, except that we have so little control over set pieces!

We should be able to say that Tommy Thunderlimb with his Hits Freekick with Power PPM should take direct free-kicks from distance while Teddy Tendertoe with Curls the Ball should take those closer to the goal and from tighter angles.

We should also be able to instruct both Tommy and Teddy to take indirect free-kicks, and then the most suitable one of them should be automatically set up in the "stand with taker" position while the other tips it over to him when a shot is due - while when a cross comes in the best crosser whips it in instead.

The current "hit a 30cm pass into the heels of a nearby sleepwalker so that the opposition can go 3-to-1 on the keeper" shenanigans should -never- happen.

We also need to be able to list whom of the Mark Tall Player duties are supposed to mark their tallest player, who the second tallest etc. Specific man marking on set pieces is also a must. As it is now we don't know if the reason their 202cm behemoth stopper wins a challenge on a corner against my 165cm teenage winger is because my 190cm powerful stopper missed his marker or because the game decided that 202cm is a "small player" (my winger's duty in this example). The difference is important!

Defensive marking or positioning on throw-ins is also a travesty - a large percentage of goals both ways occurs because of complete lack of marking on throw-ins.

An unrealistic amount of goals come directly from kick-off. All the guy receiving the ball needs to do is to go past the first player challenging for the ball, and from then on he can just run directly towards goal and do whatever he wants undisturbed.

Defensive marking or positioning on throw-ins is also a travesty - a large percentage of goals both ways occurs because of complete lack of marking on throw-ins.

A touch off topic perhaps but this is a major grievance for me. The times I've noticed the goal came from a throw in in the post match analysis, gone to tactics to address my settings for the next match only to find there are no defensive throw in set ups or instructions and I can do nothing about it!

Archived