England Laugh off Interest...

Why does this happen?

I saw an opening for the English team Manager so I applied for it. Just after applying I was headhunted by the Spanish FA to Manage Spain and they offered me a job before the English FA gave me an answer. Spain being ranked no.2 and alot of my clubs youth players being Spanish I accepted. Then it was announced that England laughed off my interest. Same thing happened 10 years ago in game time when I applied for Manager of Man United.

I have had this too it seem England do not want successful managers. I had won La Liga 3 times, champions league once, spanish cup 5 time and they laugh me off. I took up a role at Argentine instead. And just got knocked out in semi final of copa america, damn it

Is your FM nationality english? Perhaps its Spanish given where you've been managing?

Generally this happens if they feel your FM reputation is too low to consider you for the manager role. Perhaps they expect some knowldege / experience of English football. I appreciate Cappello didn't but given his desire until recently to always try to pair Gerard with Lampard it appears he is somewhat behind the curve on what all armchair manager's already know

Is your FM nationality english? Perhaps its Spanish given where you've been managing?

Generally this happens if they feel your FM reputation is too low to consider you for the manager role. Perhaps they expect some knowldege / experience of English football. I appreciate Cappello didn't but given his desire until recently to always try to pair Gerard with Lampard it appears he is somewhat behind the curve on what all armchair manager's already know

Irish Nationality. Too low? I have been playing for 12 years, won Serie A twice and Bundesliga 9 years in a row. 5 Champions Leagues and so many domestic cups I lost count. Plus the U23 Olympic medal with Spain after Pep Guardiola approached me for the job.

So it cant be reputation. If its my nationality I just say pffffft what a load of balls.

I had welsh nationality and continental reputation and Wales still laughed off my interest at a time where I was offered the United and Spurs job, Spurs being THE dominant team in England due to a tycoon takeover. Doesn't make sense.

Nothing you can do but wait until the next manager is sacked, really.

Had a similar situation myself - playing in Iceland I'd won every game for nearly 3 years, held all domestic trophies and had taken KF to the Champions League for 4 years running. I applied for their national job and got laughed off and they appointed an unknown Icelandic manager instead.

• Administrators

Was this with the latest update? There was an issue in regards to this which was looked at, however if it does still happen then maybe it was only resolved for club management rather than international. Do let me know, thanks.

Yes it's still happening when applying for the national teams it seems. I got laughed off by both Germany and England (tried to apply them both at the same time as well as one at a time, there was no difference) and yet I got World Class reputation, I've won the English PL with Swindon three times in a row now and also played in the UCL semi-final and the final in past two seasons. Even if it's not enough to get the job, I still think I shouldn't be laughed off by applying for the job? World Class reputation seems to mean nothing as it is... And I also got German nationality...

edit: Both jobs were filled with national reputation managers.

I applied to the Italy job on two occasions, got laughed off both times... then after firing their manager after a failed campaign they came crawling to me, begging me to turn their mangled wreck of a team into winners again. I want a Laugh off interest from Italy button. Seriously. If they can laugh, why can't I?

Does the game reflect the "cycle" England seem to be having of foreign manager followed by a native? Keegan resigns, then Sven, media decides its time to go English to McClaren -- absolute disaster so back to the foreign manager in Capello, inevitably to be followed by Redknapp or another English manager... and the cycle continues.

Archived