game breaking bug

SI have been trying to get to the bottom of this problem for a couple of years (at least I hope they have been trying), if you have a save file from before the cup or international match is scheduled it might be worth posting in the bugs forum.

I find this issue to be game breaking, to say Palermo will be suffering the same problem is dismissive, they might not have anywhere near the same number of internationals & as such be in a position to field a much stronger side.

You definition of game breaking differs form mine, a game breaking bug does not mean that it must result in a software crash.

What if your board expects you to win the cup & due to the call-ups you fail to reach the final which in turn has a negative confidence hit & ultimately the sack.

It ruins the game though Milner. I build young squads and it destroys your season. I've had it happen in a Europa League final. U19/U21 call ups trump a major final irl?? No. Never.

And as Barside says, SI have been trying and failing for years on this.

You definition of game breaking differs form mine, a game breaking bug does not mean that it must result in a software crash.

What if your board expects you to win the cup & due to the call-ups you fail to reach the final which in turn has a negative confidence hit & ultimately the sack.

Game breaking by its definition means a software crash, this doesn't prevent you playing the game, it doesn't crash the game, it does nothing but limit your available selection for one game. My board expect cup wins every season now, it doesnt matter really if i get knocked out in the semi final, the chances of your board sacking you over cups is very minimal if even a chance to be honest. Also you wont lose confidence in your squad, because none of your big players are playing, the result either positive or negative wont affect them because they are not at the club when the match takes place.

Again, yes this is very annoying, but its one game, and in this case just one leg, you save the game before its played and make sure because of the bug you give your first team a fighting chance for the return game.

I had this just now, lost the semi of the Dutch Cup when I was unable to field a team and had to holiday past the game. My opponents had about 5 out, I had closer to 20. Unfortunately, no save from before it was scheduled, it's not the sort of thing you notice before the game itself to save before

It has ruined whole seasons for me.

This single line of text is what I define as game breaking.

I'm sorry to say this, Milner, but on this issue you are coming across as a blind to what is in front of you fanboy, basing the key part of your reasoning on semantics is to be honest very unhelpful.

I expected more from you barside than to resort to childish comments but fair enough, we see the issue differently, doesnt mean we have to insult each other to get our points across. I only see game breaking bugs as those that stop you playing the game, obviously thats just one of my fanboyisms coming through tho, god forbid my point disagrees with anyone.

Like i say, save the game before you play, there is a second leg still to come so you can give yourself a fighting chance of still going through, yes this has happened for a few years now, SI have never been silent on it, it just proves very difficult to get out the system altogether. Give them your save when it happens and they will look into why it has happened. I still dont and never will find this game breaking, even when i have come across it in champs league semi finals, but i dont need to insult you guys to get that across do i?

Everyone has a different definition of "broken". The game is broken whenever a user cannot enjoy the game as much as they would like and the workaround is unacceptable.

In this case, of course, there is no workaround...

For a user who has a young squad, this is game-breaking because they cannot field most of their team. It doesn't matter if the AI is weakened too - the gameplay experience is damaged.

Is it "game-breaking"? That's an opinion and shouldn't be dismissed.

To me, something doesn't have to force a crash in order to be game-breaking - if a feature has incredible amounts of lag on a fast PC, for example, that would be considered game-breaking for many users.

"Game-breaking" implies the game is broken - given that software is designed with a specific "contract" in mind, anything that is unusual within the game arguably "breaks" the game, so the slightest bug should be considered "game-breaking". :)

However, the elephant in the room is the bug - arguing over "game-breaking" - it misses the point entirely.

Something that makes the game not run as intended is called a bug. A game breaking bug is something which makes it impossible to play the game.

This is a bug, a frustrating bug, but it's not a game breaking bug because the game is still playable.

Something that makes the game not run as intended is called a bug. A game breaking bug is something which makes it impossible to play the game.

This is a bug, a frustrating bug, but it's not a game breaking bug because the game is still playable.

That's not the definition of "game-breaking". A game is designed and written to specify a specific set of expected behaviours - should the game produce unexpected behaviours, the game's contract has been violated and the game is therefore "broken".

This is a more sensible definition of "broken" because everyone has a different tolerance level towards bugs. The OP thinks it's "game-breaking" - others don't.

By your definition of "broken", a game that takes 10 hours to load the game on the fastest PC today wouldn't be "broken" because it would still be possible to play the game. You just have to wait a long time. Is that broken? Heck yes, and I would imagine 99% of users would consider that "game-breaking".

The game is impossible to play for the OP - the OP cannot play in his desired gameplay style, and is forced to field a weakened side (which also affects future planning, too) against a side that may have little-or-no international commitments in the first-team. There isn't a workaround, too, unlike the goal kick/midfield header/striker one-on-one issue (distribute to full-back).

But like I said, it's missing the point.

Stupid analogy and completely different to what is happening in this scenario. Using that warped logic I could say that I can't play the game in my desired style because press conference aren't realistic and are always the same. Therefore the game is broken for me.

And in your analogy, a game that takes 10 hours to load would be broken because it isn't feasible to sit there 10 hours until you can play it. The bug in question causes nothing like that, it's just a very annoying bug.

Game breaking is what it says on the tin, ie. it breaks the game. If the bug that the OP mentioned is classed as game breaking then any bug in any game is game breaking because a bug will always interfere with your "desired style of play". No one desires to play a game with a bug in, so if we are using your logic then every bug is a game breaking bug.

But the logic is stupid which is why this is just a bug, and as it doesn't cause the game to be unplayable, it isn't a game breaking bug.

I can't believe I've devoted any time trying to explain this though so this will be my last word on the subject, and I hope this BUG is fixed.

One more thing to add actually. I worked in software testing from 2006-2008 so I'd like to think I speak with some authority on this issue.

This bug would probably have been classed as quite a serious bug, but it wouldn't ever be classed as a game breaking bug.

Granted, it wasn't computer games I was testing but it's still a bug in a piece of software.

Stupid analogy and completely different to what is happening in this scenario. Using that warped logic I could say that I can't play the game in my desired style because press conference aren't realistic and are always the same. Therefore the game is broken for me.

Arguably it is. You have to adapt your thinking in order to progress through the game.

The OP has to adapt his favoured team and rotation strategy in order to progress, and since he plays a young team, he could well suffer hugely as it would be incredibly difficult to win.

And in your analogy, a game that takes 10 hours to load would be broken because it isn't feasible to sit there 10 hours until you can play it. The bug in question causes nothing like that, it's just a very annoying bug.

But that's my point - a bug doesn't have to force a crash in order to be broken - waiting for 10 hours isn't a crash. It's just slow. A bug can frustrate a user - without crashing - and be considered game-breaking.

This bug is even worse in a lot of ways, as there is no workaround. No holidaying through the thing, or reloading the game... The user has to start again, or proceed through an unfavourable set of circumstances.

Game breaking is what it says on the tin, ie. it breaks the game.

Software is coded against a specification to produce expected behaviour. This is a "contract" in a lot of ways - you assume a certain set of circumstances, and the software guarantees (or tries to guarantee) specific outputs.

Therefore if something unexpected happens in the game, the contract is violated, and the software is "broken".

"Game-breaking" to a user, however, is highly-subjective in the same way that we are all different and no two humans are the same. What is game-breaking for one player is not always game-breaking for another.

If something is very frustrating - and this one can be, as the circumstances could well be at a huge disadvantage for the OP - then that is arguably game-breaking.

If the bug that the OP mentioned is classed as game breaking then any bug in any game is game breaking because a bug will always interfere with your "desired style of play".

I don't see anything wrong with that.

The reality is that users classify different bugs with different "annoying" levels depending on how they feel.

Things like:

- Is there a workaround?

- If there is a workaround, how painful is it?

- What if I proceed anyway, if possible?

- Is this the sort of bug that should really have been caught in testing?

This bug can be considered game-breaking because:

- Is there a workaround? Yes - start a new game

- If there is a workaround, how painful is it? Clearly, starting a new game is painful

- If there is no workaround, how painful will that be? Fielding an extremely young side against a team that may have few/no international commitments - painful

- Is this the sort of bug that should really have been caught in testing? Arguably - more unit tests, thanks

The poor OP has two situations - play the game anyway with a young team that could well get thrashed, or start a new game. To me, this is quite a big dent in enjoyment. And thus some user may consider it "game-breaking" just like the 10-hour loading thing - it's not crashing, but heck, people can call it broken.

No one desires to play a game with a bug in, so if we are using your logic then every bug is a game breaking bug.

Why not? Bugs are unacceptable. Certainly not bugs that have been happening for years... Fixture clashes happened in FM08, for example.

The reason why this isn't necessarily a problem (calling a bug "game-breaking") is that we all have different tolerance levels. However, I see no reason why we as consumers should not slam SI when we find bugs. Only through complaints will things get fixed.

But the logic is stupid which is why this is just a bug, and as it doesn't cause the game to be unplayable, it isn't a game breaking bug.

Waiting for 10 hours for the game to load doesn't mean the game is unplayable. "Unplayable" is a terrible definition.

I can't believe I've devoted any time trying to explain this though so this will be my last word on the subject, and I hope this BUG is fixed.

You are more likely to see it get fixed if you tell SI that it is game-breaking.

One more thing to add actually. I worked in software testing from 2006-2008 so I'd like to think I speak with some authority on this issue.

This bug would probably have been classed as quite a serious bug, but it wouldn't ever be classed as a game breaking bug.

Granted, it wasn't computer games I was testing but it's still a bug in a piece of software.

"Brokenness" never comes into play in software testing, in my experience. The most severe would be a bug that is a blocker, with maximum impact and maximum visibility. The "brokenness" is purely subjective and not a reliable gauge in triage.

I'd classify it as medium priority, maximum impact (as the user has no feasible workaround and directly impacts the game results) and medium visibility (this has happened for years).

I think it could be a dig at allegations that SI only fully test the English league system.

I know, thats why I included the rolleyes :)

If that theory is true, how come after the improvements they have made this year to Assistants arranging friendlies does my tours always get cancelled because my team is playing in the Community Shield? This fixture is around the same data every year. Why is my assistant een arranging a tour so late in pre-season?

So I wouldnt say the English league system is fully tested.

You do know that you can set players not to go on their international duty, right ? They will be slightly unhappy but you can prevent them to go when the mail arrives that your players have been called up for international duty.

I wish. If it's a 'competitive' Intl yth game you can't, i.e. U21 European Championship Qualifiers etc.

Glad others are picking up the baton on this. Felt like a lighthouse in a world of pea-souper fogs for ages on this issue.

I suffer because I like to buy young players, so maybe noticed more than others??

Hm, didn't know that.

I've forced my key players to retire from international duties, so I don't have a big problem with my key players going AWOL during UCL or any other important matches. There is a trick to get players to retire from international duties.

I can't even remember the different classes of bugs we used at the company I worked for, but no there was no "Broken" category, however I still don't think this bug would be in the most severe category, whatever internal system that SI use.

I suppose this is all semantics really and a rather pointless argument.

An annoying, silly and rather baffling bug, however it's not game braking. I imagine this will be ironed out in the next patch anyway, so if it truly is 'game braking', just wait for the next patch and it'll be fine.

I remember in an old edition when this could happen in the Champions League Final, so consider yourself lucky it's only the Italian Cup semis.

Archived