My 2-2-2-2-2 with Barcelona... interesting football

I was playing Pro Evolution Soccer with the classic Brazil team and they had an interesting tactic that played dominating attacking football. I decided to try the tactic in FM and I choose Barcelona to model it with.

Here's what it looks like:

tacticop9.jpg

The tactic aims to keep the opponenets in their own half of the pitch, the opponent full backs are kept back and pushed back by the forward wingers, the midfielders and especially the attacking midfielders can always easily pass the ball to the forward wingers to keep position and be in a dangerious position.

The four man centre midfield works great, the 2 midfielders back (Xavi and Deco) are set to make no forward runs, they are the anchor of the team, they are always there if the attacking midfielders need somewhere to pass to. The attacking midfielders work great between them, passing the ball often and as mentioned passing it back to the centre midfielders if they have to. This creates great danger for the opposition because its hard to close them down.

The goals come from the attacking midfielders and forward wingers working together. They can send through balls to each-other, they can give 1-2s and they create alot of space for eachother to shoot.

Interesting nice football... I'd say 2/3s of the goals come from strikes from the centre of the pitch just outside or just inside the penalty box. The shooters have an easy task of just hitting inside either post. Very cool! I've never seen so many goals from a team of mine coming from (reletive) long distance shots.

The defense has been interestingly solid. The two centre midfielders are always in the middle, never going forward so they stop alot of the attacks, this I'd say it the most important part of the tactic defensivly. There is a high closing down as needed with this tactic. The main defense of the team is as said before keeping the ball in the opponents half and creating alot of pressure.

Here's a look at the team:

playersed5.jpg

And here is a look at the fixtures:

fixtae4.jpg

1 draw, the rest are all wins, most goals allowed in a game was 1. (friendlies were handled by assistant)

This tactic is definitly succesfull thanks to Barca's quality players, there have been a few games where its been even but my team's clinical finishing has been the difference.

The tactic has a team mentality of this:

tac2sb5.jpg

Running with ball is set to medium with the midfielders (including wing backs) and often with the forwards. Forward runs are indicated in the screenshot and through ball is played often by the 4 centre midfielders and the forwards.

Any one wanna play around with it with their team, maybe try it with a weaker team? Or maybe have a discussian or questions about it?

I'd Love to try this with MY perfect team

gk----buffon

dc----richards

dc----terry

wbr---danny alves

wbl---evra/marcelo

mc----gerrard

mc----fabregas

amc---messi

amc---ronaldinho (before 802)/aguero

st----torres

st----ibrahimovic

I think its interesting that no other team on pro evo uses that tactic only classic brazil. Cant beleive it works on fm tho. Any chance of posting it so I can use it with my liverpool team??

-forgive the double post, we can't edit our posts-

That's a fairly interesting take on the Box Midfield actually. I might give it a go. I don't have Pro Evo, so would you mind telling me what era the classic Brazil team is from? Or is it just a collection of Brazil's best players of all time?

Ok so i have just done one match so i thought i would let people see, so far this tactic looks like a good one have a look for yourself

Here is my team, which is pretty strong

Untitled-3.jpg

and here is the result, its against arsenal in the european super cup

Untitled3.jpg

i hope this works as you can see the tactic is good, i usually struggle to keep possesion with any other tactics and the first few matches this season were really tough becasue some new signings and bad choice of captain disrupted my teams harmony.

but with this tactic i won this match with no trouble at all

im pretty sure this tactic would only work for good teams with high creativity and attacking stats,

ive had to tweak it a bit i seem to concede easily but the centre backs attacking mentality is set to nearly full attack so i brought them back to defend more seems ok.

also im gettin around 15 -20 shot a match most on target but there all being saved its crazy cause my strikers are immense.

i may try experimenting with using playmakers and target men but i dont wanna wreck a tactic that already works

The reason I created the thread was because of how suprised I was that the tactic didn't fail.. it had alot of interesting positive points.

I was wondering if any tacticians could implement some tweaks that would make the tactic more stable and better.

Tried it with Arsenal first season for a little while. Mixed results, but I was just giving it a shot. I noticed if the other team had overlapping fullbacks, they would score a lot since there was no one to mark the extra men on the wings. Didn't tweak it at all yet though.

I downloaded and had a look through your tactic. It's very attacking, so against teams that sit back and rarely throw anyone forward you will probably enjoy a measure of success. Probably why you won at Barcelona. However, if a team decides to attack you they will have a significant numbers advantage and will score.

You could make it work if you created a few different versions. Formation wise, for your more standard tactics a place to start would be putting backwards arrows on the MCs and Wingbacks.

When you need to defend, tone down the forward runs, lower the mentality, etc.

I've (Milan) been having some pretty good results so far with this tactic - 10 wins and a draw. No big teams in there though, 'cept Juve (and I beat them 1-0).

But I guess as it was suggested earlier, having a good team does help.

Have used this with Chelsea, Man Utd, Everton and Newcastle.

Rooney, Ronaldo Drogba , Johnson, Vaughan and Owen and Martins are all world beaters with this formation in the striking department.

Overlapping full backs do see you conceding one or 2... though i find my own centre backs score from almost every corner.?!

been using this with man utd in 4th season not got a great squad as to previus management selling but i've only lost 1 in 10 games doijng well i need to buy some players for most positions though but i'm very happy with it

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else working on this? I've developed a pretty good set with this formation. In my career game in 2017/18 I took over an AC Milan side that hasn't finished any higher than 8th in the past 4 years and I currently sit atop the table. After 18 played, I've won 15 and drawn 3, outscoring the opposition 55-13.

I (Milan) regularly win Serie A with this tactic yet I keep getting thumped in Europe by the big guns (Real, especially).

This is because the big guns aren't going to sit back and defend against you like minnows in Serie A. You need to develop a more balanced and a more defensive version for games against teams of similar or higher reputation.

Mixed results over a season but it was good to see the opposition centre backs confused about who to mark lol. I found that my strikers didnt score too often but my amc's did and near enough all the goals were from outside the area.

If there was a way to get the strikers scoring more often then it would work very nicely against stronger teams and be a whole lot more consistent. And also the defense could do with some tweaking has goals do go in quite a lot. This tactic does have potential if someone can tweak it and make it better.

Has anyone actually tried this tactic with Brazil??

Tried this with Chelsea as a test.

W 7-0 v BORO

W 4-0 v PORTO

W 5-1 v READING

W 3-0 v MAN UTD

Very good start :-D I did some tweaking with it though. And not even started on opposition instructions.

• 1 month later...

i really like the shape with this tactic and so have started working on my own version:

so far i've added back arrows on the centre mid and wing backs and given the attacking mid/strikers forward arrows.

In theory we attack with attack with 4 defend with 6.

I've given the whole team short passing apart from the center back and goalie and have witness some sublime intricate passing moves generally followed with the comment of super team move or flow etc.

The issue so far has'nt been with scoring goals but it conceed quite a bit against good side because the defence is left quite exposed with long balls. So altering the width to one notch above narrow kills most of the oppositions attack and improves goalie performances.

I'm just wondering what have you guys noticed with this tactic so far.

Archived