Ever afraid to leave a club?

I was just thinking as the post says above I have many times taken a club to glory, dominance and assembled a great team with great utility players who can step into the first team if needed, I have always scouted for the future securing the brightest talents from all over the globe and introduced them to the first team as the older players begin to need less game time or move on. Much like in real life. I guess what I'm trying to say is I always build a team for now and the future so it continues it's winning formula. But as soon as I leave a club on a good footing and all my successor has to do is come in and follow the trend instead no they come in ruin it all and the club suffers as a consequence. Leaving me gutted that the AI destroyed my hard work.

See I'm thinking of leaving my club at the end of the season to pastures new but I'm terrified of the above happening does anyone ever feel the same?

On my journeyman game im afraid of leaving because no better team will hire me so i tend to stay 3 seasons max then go but if the sucsessor ruins what i had done i tend to keep an eye on it but doesnt really bother me as im trying to improve as a manager overall and not the team/club

I started a game with Macclesfield and after a few seasons I managed to get them promoted to League One and establish them as a strong League One side and won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and losing in the play-offs in my first season, halfway through the following season I was offered the job to take over newly promoted Alicante (Liga Adelante) and after taking time to think about it I decided to accept the offer. Macclesfield appointed my assistant (some random regen who looks a great manager) as their new manager and now they are in the Championship, ok they are just about surviving each season but I'm happy they didn't just fall back into League Two.

I agree its usually a tough choice, and most of the times I stick at my current club but this time I liked the challenge of Alicante as they had just been promoted and had very few staff on their books and not even a squad big enough to fill the Liga Adelante squad registration. I managed to survive the first season comfortably in mid-table and then annoyingly in January a fans trust decided to attempt to takeover the club and this lasted from January to mid-August so basically I had no transfer funds all summer and had to use an even more depleated squad due to a few older players retiring. Luckily I managed to sign a few players on frees before the window shut and was sitting in mid-table come January and then managed to make a few signing and ended up finishing 2nd and was promoted to Liga BBVA and after just surviving my first season (finishing 16th) I am getting job offers from other teams in my league as well as the odd one from England and I don't want to leave Alicante as I feel they will just fall straight back down the League ladder after so much hard work from me.

It gives me great satisfaction to see the team I'd taken from nothing and turned into world beaters ruined by my successor.

It proves to everyone just what a great manager I am.

This. :thup:

It breaks my heart sometimes, I build a squad of quality, with a perfect blend of youth and experience, a conveyor belt of 'ready replacements' and money in the bank, more transfer budget than I can spend, etc... new guy sells the best 26-29 year olds, half the young prospects and buys dross with his "sudden" riches that have less quality and are older than what he's sold to buy them, AND he pays more for them! MORON! :mad:

It gives me great satisfaction to see the team I'd taken from nothing and turned into world beaters ruined by my successor.

It proves to everyone just what a great manager I am.

It annoys me :D

I can see why it might be great to see, but I keep track of my ex-clubs and constantly go "nooooooooooooooooo!" when they do something daft like sell 5 wonderkids to random teams on the cheap.

Just concentrate on making your new team even better than your old team. Hell i myself raid my old team because then thats the team which is the biggest challenge in the world isnt it ? My motivation is to defeat my old team as many times as i can. But well yes the AI manager does mess the team up...but even messing up takes some time. So no...havent had such a problem yet !

What annoys me even further is I have certain players who albeit aren't always world beaters but they are the grafters and can come in when someone is injured a fill that spot really well, much like certain players at United have done over the years. And all these are cast off along with all the promising youth players.

I prefer to see my successor ruin them than do even better.

My favourite was in the A-League, I won about 6 or 7 trophies which put me top of the Hall of Fame for Australia. My successor got within one trophy of overtaking me before he was snapped up by a bigger club. I'd have had to go back to them if he'd overtook me.

I'd say I'm always reluctant to leave a club after a couple of good seasons...

The problem is we always have to rely on other managers getting the boot, so that means we're going to leave a well-built team, often with a lot of good prospects, to join a down-on-luck side...

So to me it's sort of a lose-lose situation... You can't really plan a "final season" at a club, as you don't really know when you'll get a shot at a better club... so you keep on playing as if you're going to be there forever, and one day a Top Club knocks at your door...

When FM will allow us to move around in a more realistic way (aka by agreeing in January to join another club in July when the current manager's contract expires) and when the Reputation issue will be fixed then it'll be possible having a better journeyman career.

But until then it's much safer, rewarding and fun having a "from rags to riches" career at the same club.

So to me it's sort of a lose-lose situation... You can't really plan a "final season" at a club, as you don't really know when you'll get a shot at a better club... so you keep on playing as if you're going to be there forever, and one day a Top Club knocks at your door...

When FM will allow us to move around in a more realistic way (aka by agreeing in January to join another club in July when the current manager's contract expires) and when the Reputation issue will be fixed then it'll be possible having a better journeyman career.

That is kind of possible (on FM10 anyway). I was managing an Australian side. Their season finishes in March. In January, Spurs sacked their manager, they were struggling in the league, but clearly safe from relegation. I applied, got offered the job, and there's a little dropdown option to choose either "Move immediately" or "Move at end of season". I went for the latter, they agreed, I finished my season in Oz, then went to Spurs in March.

I feel exactley like this in my current save.

I lead Huddersfield to back-to-back promotions from League 1 to the Premiership, (second in League 1, plyoff winners in Championship), picking up a Johnstones Paint Trophy and an FA Cup semi-final appearance along the way. And then in the Premiership I finished 8th with them despite the media predicition of 20th, and also only just lost a Carling Cup semi-final.

For season four, I left to join Chelsea who in the previous three seasons had only won one trophy, and in season three only just got a Champions League place. Whereas I am doing well with Chelsea, Huddersfield are hovering a mere 4points above the relegation zone, with just two wins and eight draws from the opening 17 games of the season.

It's sad to see.

Archived