Moment of weakness !!!

Don't post very often, but had to share this with fellow fm players who may appriciate it.

Just turned the lap top on to begin a full day of football manager.

I had saved the game last night just before my side Man City (Yes I know its easy with City, but i'm not very good, and want to finally win something!), who top the table by 4 points, with 6 game left, play Bristol City, who have yet to win in the league.

Nice easy 3 points to start the days play with I thought, no got beat 4-2, with Tevez sent off and Rodwell injured for the rest of the season.

Sod this I thought and came within seconds of switching the lap top off and starting the day again.

Just as I was about to the phone rang, was just my brother who was on his way to the Newcastle Sunderland game, told him he insulted me and said he would never let me forget it if I did !

On that note I have decided to continue !

Never done it before, hopefully never contemplate doing it again !

Anyone else had a moment of weakness, or worse still given into it !

That happened to me but it was in the cup my kids team that I play had put Chelsea out 4-0 but this time I had Watford and they managed to beat me 5-1 which was devastating. I didn't really consider it but I did do it when I was younger like fm07 sort of time.

Everyone does it from time to time. The only time I've done it on FM11 was when I was trying to create my own tactic (Very silly move for me, I'm useless). I was 3-0 up after 55 minutes at Anfield as Everton. Someone knocked on the door and when I came back I'd lost 9-3. I wouldn't have minded all that much but after seeing that Dirk Kuyt (The worst player in the history of the world) had scored 7 goals it was a little too much to take. I did take heart from the fact Gerrard missed a penalty that would have made it 10-3 though.

I once lost 6-2 in the cup as Accrington Stanley against Arsenal at the Emirates. I wouldn't have minded normally but I was 2-0 up with twenty minutes to go. Then Van Persie scored 4 and Fabregas scored 2 penalties. I nearly cried...

I've had a few game crashes that has put my in a uncomfortable situation.

Once my game crashed and I had to replay my away against Everton. A game I originally had lost 3-2 from Evertons only three shots on goal. Second time around I won big time, but it still felt like I cheated. I actually thought about going back and 'loosing on purpose'.

I've also had a game crash that put me a month back. In my original save I had won all my games. Second time around I lost a few and got two season long injuries - I went back and played it over vowing that no matter what the third time playing this month would count. Cant quite remember what happened apart from not getting the season long injuries. After this experience I auto save every week.

I also went back to a save after a game crash during the transfer window made me loose a 4 star player I had signed before the game crash, but who went to another club after the crash. This was probably the most time consuming crash I have ever had, since it was just around that crucial month between seasons (lost hours of game time).

Meh, I don't really see the big deal about having a do over every once in a blue moon...

I'm not saying it's ok reloading every single time til we get the desired result (what's the point of playing then?), but in some occasions I totally understand the feeling and the "urge" of thinking "oh, sod it!" and of pressing Alt+F4...

I can cope with defeats, I can cope with silly red cards, with mediocre performances, with injuries and with absurd transfers decisions... But sometimes FM goes too far and I can see why many think the game is "cheating" or "decided I can't win this".

Like the typical homegame against bottom-of-the-league team: your team is on a 20 games undefeated streak, superb morale and whatnot, still you find yourself 0-2 down after 15 minutes, and there's NO WAY you can turn the game around...

Or you'll draw that game 2-2 but will have two red cards, your best striker will pick up a serious injuries while other two players will be out for a couple of weeks...

Come on... the "unexpected" is one thing, but FM at times looks like it's following a pattern of "fixed unpredictability" where simply you can't avoid defeat, or you're totally at a loss about what to do to prevent it (and the logical steps don't work at all anyway).

So well, I don't blame those who aren't so dedicated to (obsessed with? ;)) the game to the point of forgetting it's a game and it should be just fun (and not a "my dick is bigger than yours" sort of activity/achievement...) and will occasionally reload their save after one of those "FM hates you" moments...

P.S. as long as people don't come in to brag about Undefeated Seasons (achieved with like 20 reloads), there's no right or wrong way to enjoy the game... If you feel happy with a 38-0-0 season while you actually had to play 90 games to get such figures, good for you ;)

Everyone does it from time to time. The only time I've done it on FM11 was when I was trying to create my own tactic (Very silly move for me, I'm useless). I was 3-0 up after 55 minutes at Anfield as Everton. Someone knocked on the door and when I came back I'd lost 9-3. I wouldn't have minded all that much but after seeing that Dirk Kuyt (The worst player in the history of the world) had scored 7 goals it was a little too much to take. I did take heart from the fact Gerrard missed a penalty that would have made it 10-3 though.

The main thing you did wrong there was failing to pause the game...

Well it happens to me that I sometimes get so angry if I feel the game cheated at me... you know these moments where you defenders just let someone run through and make way for him so he has a clear path towards goal and then the best goal keeper in the world doesn't even move a finger when the guy shoots right at him... I mean this moments sometimes get me so angry that I turn of the PC entirely and do something else.

I don't want to do it but sometimes I just can't stop myself.

I have to admit that I do it at the start of my first season every time a new version of the game comes out.

I always want to create my own tactic from scratch, so play the same match (against the first big team in the league that I meet) 10 times tweaking positions and instructions until I can get them playing how I want.

Particularly now that the Match Prep is there, you just can't afford to tweak tactics game by game since you loose experience points on your tactics.

I know this is blatent cheating but it saves the remaining hair on my head...

I have to admit that I do it at the start of my first season every time a new version of the game comes out.

I always want to create my own tactic from scratch, so play the same match (against the first big team in the league that I meet) 10 times tweaking positions and instructions until I can get them playing how I want.

Particularly now that the Match Prep is there, you just can't afford to tweak tactics game by game since you loose experience points on your tactics.

I know this is blatent cheating but it saves the remaining hair on my head...

I do this, too. I usually play half a season really quickly a top flight club that way, to get a feel for how my old tactics respond in the new engine. Once I know the foundations are sound, I'm a lot more comfortable using the tactic on a lower level club. I see it more as research than cheating, though.

In a previous spurs save, i lost an fa cup final 3 times to i think Huddersfield, and reloaded till i won. He he.

But in this save i'm on now, i have not reloaded once i don't think, even after losing to Bristol City, or losing the champions league final. It makes the game so much better to know i haven't cheated.

I do this, too. I usually play half a season really quickly a top flight club that way, to get a feel for how my old tactics respond in the new engine. Once I know the foundations are sound, I'm a lot more comfortable using the tactic on a lower level club. I see it more as research than cheating, though.

That's what pre-season friendlies are for....

What could you have possibly done before you left for that to happen? Stuck all your players out wide and put your keeper up front? Even if someone got injured or sent off the game would've paused...

That's what pre-season friendlies are for....

You don't learn anything from a pre-season friendly, same as real life. Pre-season is for fitness, not for tactics. You can't build a tactic based on playing teams that may be only 50% motivated vs how that same teams would be during the league, plus tackling set to easy etc. You're building a house on sand foundations if you reckon that performances in pre-season will carry through to the league my friend...

plus you'll find that some players bang in the goals when there's no pressure on them in pre-season, then choke in the league...

Archived