International Management on FM11

What are your impressions of it? Has much changed from FM10?

Does match preparation apply to International sides too? And how about the player interaction?

Are there any new features to make it more interesting?

Just wondering as I haven't tried managing an International side on FM11 yet and I would be interested to hear the the views of those who have tried it already.

On the last version, FM10, I had a really fun save as my alter-ego Fabio Crouchello, in which I did a bit of an International Journeyman save. Unfortunately, it finished a little earlier than planned (in 2025) because I didn't load enough leagues (I found International management was much better with active or view-only leagues). There were other little annoyances with international management in FM too. Anyway, I was thinking of trying something similar on FM11 if things have improved, so I'd be grateful for your thoughts. :)

I've just started an International save and I can't immediately see any new additions specific to International management, but I havent played much at all on this save.

The match preparation screen seems to be the same as in club management, but I assume that this only 'comes into action' when the squad has been selected.

The player interaction is less detailed than when interacting with a club player, as it only seems to have two options to comment on - International Player Form and International Retirement. If I remember correctly, on fm10 there was an option to say that a player isn't playing enough club football to be selected in the squad, but I am yet to see this option.

As I said earlier I havent played much on this save to get a real feel for International management, but I hope this little bit of information helps you.

That's alright crouchaldinho, sorry couldnt be more help. I've just read your Fabio Crouchello career and it's a great read, has made me want to play more on my international save as Ireland. I'll let you know if I find anything new or whatever. Feel free to ask if there is anything more you want to know.

Isn't really a new feature, but I (Ireland) am playing in the Four Associations Tournament. I wonder if this means that there are other smaller international competitions as well (if any exist, my knowledge of international football isn't the best)? Don't remember there being this tournament in FM10, but I could be wrong.

Isn't really a new feature, but I (Ireland) am playing in the Four Associations Tournament. I wonder if this means that there are other smaller international competitions as well (if any exist, my knowledge of international football isn't the best)? Don't remember there being this tournament in FM10, but I could be wrong.

The Four Associations Tournament were in FM10 aswell. Other iternational competitions that are more important like the Central American Cup are not in the game.

• 4 months later...

I've just taken over as Ireland Under 19's Manager in 2018

Can anyone tell me - are the players in the National Pool all that are available? Or is there more. It's quite a healthy selection considering I've not loaded the Irish League or added players but there is still a couple of areas I'd like to improve on

I've noticed as I'm managing France that there seems to be a new interaction where I can ask non French players to consider taking French nationality. Although on every player I've tried to use it so far the interaction has been greyed out.

I've noticed as I'm managing France that there seems to be a new interaction where I can ask non French players to consider taking French nationality. Although on every player I've tried to use it so far the interaction has been greyed out.

I think it's available only for players who are already eligible, but have "sees no point" in their "days to gain nationality" section.

Right the, been left with a squad that I'd like to change. I've already been knocked out of the U19 qualifiers, all games completed. I want to make some changes to the squad and that would involve removing players. But when I select players to remove, I get the message

(player name) is confirmed in the Irealnd Under 19's squad and cannot be removed. Is this because Roy Keane (Ireland first team manager) picks the squad?

Sadly there's little point in managing an international side unless it's a Top Nation or you have the specific nation/league loaded...

I'm currently managing Chile and I'm more or less stuck with the db "originals", all well into their 30s... Just TWO newgens are good enough to be international material, and another couple of them could eventually turn out barely ok, provided they don't rot in some random club in an inactive league.

The interaction factor is almost non-existent... as already pointed out there isn't the old "you must play more/better if you want to get a call-up" option anymore. And there's no way to explain (or to justify) some choices to the players and to the press.

All in all, international management only works for a few selected nations/leagues, and even there it's not a very rewarding experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
International management is fun to do alongside club management but I wouldnt want to manage only an international side there wouldnt be enough to do in the game.

Too bad there seems to be some bug or a stupid design flaw when trying to get an international job alongside a club one: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/253570-Difficult-to-get-an-international-job-on-FM2011?p=6964454#post6964454

I was going to avoid International management in my Liverpool save, but England approached me and I decided to bite the bullet. Whilst I had some success (winning the Euros, Confed Cup and reaching World No 1), I still felt like I had little control over things, and after a disappointing World Cup quarter final exit, I resigned.

I have issues like when managers withdrew players, I seemed to get criticised at the next squad selection if I recalled them and if I didn't recall them. Player interactions are non-existent, and during the big tournaments I don't even get the chance to rest players for a day after a game like I can for my club. Why not?

Also I find myself forgetting to recall a player who missed the last squad through injury, and again I get slated for dropping him. Wouldn't it be easier if there was a way of automatically recalling players without me having to go looking for him? Perhaps it's my own fault for not spending too much time picking the squad, but since games can be so far apart and it's only a part-time job I tend to get side-tracked.

All in all, international management has improved over the years, but it still needs a lot of work to make it interesting.

I agree with everything that Kenco said. A situation I've found myself in is my world-class CM for England had a knock when I was picking my squad for a Euro Qualifier. There was no point in picking him, as there was 0% chance he'd play. A couple of days later, there's a news article stating that "Butcher fails fitness bid", Great stuff.

Pre-match interview I get asked if there's any way back for Butcher... The best answer I could pick was that 'there was if he impresses me'.

Next time I pick a squad - Butcher has another knock - don't pick him again. This time he's "out in the cold", and my 'erratic squad selection' is questioned by the media.

THE GUY WAS INJURED!

I managed the England U21 squad and mildly enjoyed it but finding players was SOOOOOOOO long-winded and difficult. Also, I could pinch players from the Senior squad whenever I wanted - surely that ain't right. I would of liked to interact with the senior manager on squad selection between the senior & U21 squad. There are many other issues, the most game-breaking for me was that I could never get the players well motivated. Couldn't on FM09 either as England manager. I like well motivated players but nothing seemed to work. In 09 I had 6 of my club side in the national squad and even they weren't motivated by my team talks.

My stint in international lasted 9 months before it annoyed me into resigning. I'd like to give it another a go but am worried it's going to kill my enthusiasm for my save.

Archived