Have SI acknowledged the player interction "bug"

Played a 17 year old youth team player in a league cup match, he ended up with a 6.9 which I thought was more than acceptable for his debut.

After the game I congratulated him on his performnce but his reply was that he was suprised as he thought he didn't do well, no matter how hot headed the player was IRL this would never happen,now after trying the give him praise he doesn't want to talk to me. I'm still in August and he is the 4th player that i have upset despite not going out of my way to upset any of them.

This needs a tweak, I hope this is in SI's plans.

He has played 4 games for the U18's with an average of 6.75 (not too bad IMO) and a 6.9 for the first team.

Also on the player interaction screen it says "last match" when you are choosing a conversation of topic.

So I'd go out on a limb and say the feature doesn't work as intended even for the "average player"

Yeah I'm sorry, I'd forgotten about that addition and deleted my post before your reply. You may have a valid point. Though it's still a bit tricky. Say you have two players with identical ratings and you praise both of them equally they may react very differently to your praise depending on their personalities. If he's more professional determined and ambitious he's going to be more self critical. Try raising this in the bugs sub-forum though.

Self critical or not' date=' no player is going to sulk and hate his manager for weeks because he chose to have a few good words about him. There should be possible consequences for unwarranted praise - such as complacency - but reaction to a positive comment should never be flat out negative.[/quote']

Why, maybe the player thinks you're a bit thick, or that you're too easy. He may be a player that's pretty hard on himself, and finds anything lower than a top rating to be unacceptable (e.g. Roy Keane in his playing days). There are many reasons why unduly praising a player will lead to a negative response, and for that reason I would not call this a bug, just something I'd need to note about the player for future reference.

Even so Brian, they have a point. You can expect nothing short of perfection from yourself without blowing up when your manager says he thinks you handled yourself well last game. You may not agree, and can make that known, and if you do this 20 times it can have a significant effect. That's fine. But sulking for weeks just because one time your manager praised a performance he thought was good when you disagree? That's not right.

Even so Brian, they have a point. You can expect nothing short of perfection from yourself without blowing up when your manager says he thinks you handled yourself well last game. You may not agree, and can make that known, and if you do this 20 times it can have a significant effect. That's fine. But sulking for weeks just because one time your manager praised a performance he thought was good when you disagree? That's not right.

But if I did it a few times in quick succession, as the OP appears to be doing from what I can see, then I would expect a player to start getting a bit ****y as it would be too much unwarranted praise. Frankly if I personally praised a player for a 6.9 performance I would be disappointed if he didn't say to me "I feel that your praise is a bit much as I didn't do too well". I only ever praise players if they have high, i.e. >7.5, ratings over a number of matches in FM10 and nothing I've seen in the demo would suggest that changing this system will bring better results.

Why, maybe the player thinks you're a bit thick, or that you're too easy. He may be a player that's pretty hard on himself, and finds anything lower than a top rating to be unacceptable (e.g. Roy Keane in his playing days). There are many reasons why unduly praising a player will lead to a negative response, and for that reason I would not call this a bug, just something I'd need to note about the player for future reference.

Even the biggest nutcase wouldn't start hating his manager for something like this. Negative initial response, yes, but that's what the conversation part is supposed to be there for. Sulking for weeks afterwards and refusing to talk to the manager, give me a break. You're going to need to keep quite a lot of notes in FM11 as most players seem to be able to overreact massively to even the most harmless looking comments.

Even the biggest nutcase wouldn't start hating his manager for something like this. Negative initial response' date=' yes, but that's what the conversation part is supposed to be there for. Sulking for weeks afterwards and refusing to talk to the manager, give me a break. You're going to need to keep quite a lot of notes in FM11 as most players seem to be able to overreact massively to even the most harmless looking comments.[/quote']

This is supposed to be a game full of male players; why then do many of them have strong cases of PMS?

It could well be a bug, but I think that the game is coded to react poorly to praise that is undeserved and in truth, I wouldnt pick out any individual for special praise with a 6.9 rating, even a youngster.

Unfortunately, this whole player interaction feature is a minigame in itself. Conversations and reaction to conversations should be more logical.

It could well be a bug, but I think that the game is coded to react poorly to praise that is undeserved and in truth, I wouldnt pick out any individual for special praise with a 6.9 rating, even a youngster.

Yeah, but the response is nonsensical. Morale drop, good old PR icon or equivalent, complacency - this is all fine. But in this game you can easily get your players to sulk for weeks or even request a transfer for comments that would hardly raise an eyebrow in reality.

• SI Staff

I believe this is by design and Brian's response above sums it up pretty well. This happend to me as well and I was initially a little suprised. I'll speak to the guy who codes this though as we may be able to tone it down a bit or perhaps reconsider how the player reacts.

I believe this is by design and Brian's response above sums it up pretty well. This happend to me as well and I was initially a little suprised. I'll speak to the guy who codes this though as we may be able to tone it down a bit or perhaps reconsider how the player reacts.

Make sure you dont ask him the wrong way or he might sulk and demand a tranfer to EA. :p

go go he's only got 4 days to re-code ;o)

I can sort of agree with Brian, praising for average performances isn't the way to go, but unfortuantely it's not just the praising of players thats causing the player interaction problems. There are problems with the tutoring and also "making up" with players (IE complete lack of apologies or responses that are designed to help win back a players respect)

Agree that it is an issue.

Even if the player doesn't agree with his coach about having a good performance, at least he wouldn't get that angry at a praise, in fact any young player would love to be praised by his coach even if not really deserved, and even if they are really self critics, they would just ignore the comment but not to get angry at it.

Archived