Football Manager 2011 - 1st season thoughts

When a person starts a new saved game, people have different thoughts and ideas how they play the first season. I personally find it a chore and I can't wait till the 1st season ends.

In the first season you know who are the stars your scouts & coaches will recomend, you know tere wont be any newgens to take a look at till seasons end (some may be in January but not many).

These are the reasons I enjoy the game even more once the 2nd season starts.

How about other people ? your thoughts of the 1st season of a saved fm2010 game ...

i do indeed, hence why i said alot of newgens/regens instead of all! I quite like signing some ex players up as coaches as well. Also you dont actually start with only newgens/regens, they are real players, just false names and nationality etc, it is very easy to work out who is who

Cheers anyway though...

the first season i'll play with Inter for a few seasons, i'm going to buy only real players, maybe a lot of youngsters for the next saves. then i'll start to play with another team (always in Italy, in lower division), and after 1-2 seasons, i'll start to buy some newgens.

You do know you can start the game with teams using regens right?

Actually no with default database.

You need something like Random database to achieve that.

i do indeed, hence why i said alot of newgens/regens instead of all! I quite like signing some ex players up as coaches as well. Also you dont actually start with only newgens/regens, they are real players, just false names and nationality etc, it is very easy to work out who is who

Cheers anyway though...

Yes, Random database almost perfectly gets rid of those. However, AFAIK there are no newer versions than FM 2008 8.0.2.

I actually prefer season one, just because there is so MUCH to do, usually. Of course, I prefer to play teams at lower levels, where you don't really have an established set of stars that cannot be significantly improved upon. My first pre-season is a hectic time, scouting for people to put on trial or try to borrow, seeing if different combinations of players will work better during the friendlies, pouring over the financial data as it starts coming in to make sure that the salary/transfer budget won't actually put my team in a total bind if used to the max, etc. It's like being a kid in a candy shop, only you have only so much time to stuff your pockets AND you have to figure out how to pay for it all! :D

My early time with a new FM game tends to be spent experimenting. I usually don't start my 'main' game until at least 1 patch has been released which is usually in the lower leagues of England.

I tend to experiment playing 1-2 seasons just to get a feel for the game before diving in.

The 1st season is always the most difficult as you have to establish tactics and identify what players you want to persist with, get rid of and bring in. For me, like the OP, the real fun begins at the end of the 1st season as by then you have had time to stamp your authority on the club.

With a season under your belt you should knwo where you strengthsand weaknesses lye and can make changes to deal with any difficiencies.

I agree, that from this point the more you go into a save the better it gets!

Archived