Licences for Premier League and Germany

Yes, it's nice to have it, but so long as it's worth the additional investment to make it worthwhile for those producing the game. Think of all the leagues and competitions featured in FM and then think of the expense involved trying to obtain "official" licenses for each of them, especially when they may be tied to contracts with other games.

This is indeed a bone of contention with some of the EA Sports titles over the years, where it appears most of the production budget has gone into obtaining licensed brand names, rather than concentrate on the quality of the games themselves.

The biggest asset we have with with FM, is there's a very active community out there, who make very good use of the editor that comes with the game. :)

Players are free to make any changes they want themselves too. For example, I always use the editor to change the "Spanish Cup" to "Copa del Rey" (The King's Cup).

Obviously SI aren't officially able to release their game with certain specific "names" in place due to the licenses, but there's nothing to stop the user changing things with the editor, because that's then outside SI's control.

Germany is on a long-term exclusive contract with EA. SI couldn't buy them even if they were willing to overspend on these rights :(

Both the German FA and EA will be willing to come to some agreement, but EA pays prohibitively large sums for these licenses and SI will need to pay way over the odds to come to any agreement, and it's probably not worth it.

Isn't it about time the best football management game had the licence for Premier League Club badges and the German players? Is there any news on this?

The club badges thing is not going to happen any time soon due to the reasons given above. As for German players well this issue is easy to fix but we're not allowed to talk about the fix on here so search google or some of the other fan sites.

I've always wondered why we have the real England national team, but not the real German national team.

Do SI have the rights for the English National team, and just don't have the rights for the Premier League?

But with Germany they don't have the rights for the German National team aswell as the League?

I've always wondered why we have the real England national team, but not the real German national team.

Do SI have the rights for the English National team, and just don't have the rights for the Premier League?

But with Germany they don't have the rights for the German National team aswell as the League?

Basically, yes. I don't think the rights for the English national team are as stringent as those for German and Japan.

(@ your location- Bikey is quality when on his game, I agree)

Regarding Germany-

Does the contract prevent SI from allowing newgens to play for the German national team? I understand the issue with having to change the player's names and everything at the start of the game, but why does this also prevent FM from putting together a German team of fake players?

Basically, yes. I don't think the rights for the English national team are as stringent as those for German and Japan.

(@ your location- Bikey is quality when on his game, I agree)

Yeah, he's been on it so far this season. :thup:

Dominated our box, made the oppositions strikers look like amateurs at times.

Our man of the match for 3 out of the first 4 games. :)

Galatasaray tried to sign him this week on the last day of the transfer window, with an offer considerably more than we paid for him.

Thankfully we rejected it, we need to keep hold of players like Bikey if we want to push for promotion.

Yeah i remember when he was at Reading the season before last, and i thought he was easily one of the best defenders in the Championship that season.

I know he has a history of being hot head and something of a 'lose cannon', but he's been calm all this year.

Although sometimes he will still flap his arms in tantrum style when the referee's book him, or disallow his goal which happened against Leicester.

He can try to be a bit too flash at times too, but you can see he has qaulity.

I used to work with a Reading fan, and i remember him telling me that Bikey had Ebanks-Blake and Keogh in his back pocket when you hammered Wolves away the season they won the league...

It's a disgrace that things like names have a price. The thing is a game, nobody in the real world is going to care if I pick Rene Adler or Manuel Neuer in goal. It is extremely silly to have players like Toni Kroos, with high stats, never playing in his national team for basically no real reason.

It's a disgrace that things like names have a price. The thing is a game, nobody in the real world is going to care if I pick Rene Adler or Manuel Neuer in goal. It is extremely silly to have players like Toni Kroos, with high stats, never playing in his national team for basically no real reason.

Well if someone is using your name to make millions, I think you would want some money too right? That's how it is these days.

SI can sign an exclusive rights license with a national team or league too if they want.

You know, I recently heard about a great new piece of software that solves problems for you. I'm not sure what it was called (for slightly lawyery reasons), it was something like Goggle. Maybe it could help you? ;)

The German FA can make money from this, so why shouldn't they?

The German FA can make money from this, so why shouldn't they?

Because it's not in the spirit of the game, perhaps. It's not like I could sue somebody for naming a child the same as me, this should be no different.

Because it's not in the spirit of the game, perhaps. It's not like I could sue somebody for naming a child the same as me, this should be no different.

Understandable, but a bit naive.

Yes you won't sue another person with your name, but that's because you're not 'famous', so to speak, and your name has no public image.

Like, I don't think Madonna or Lady Gaga will allow someone else to use their names. In a same way it's the same with footballers.

That's how the world works now sadly.

As said before, there are ways to get the German National Team and pictures and badges for other countries. It involves a bit of work to find, download and install these 'addons' but it's totally worth it and I'd rather have it this way than SI spending a lot of money on a licence and then not having enough money to pay the people who actually develop the game.

I think it's unfair to blame the German FA and accuse them of being greedy. The FA's of all other licensed countries receive money, too. Probably the exclusive license EA has with the German FA simply brings them more money than if they had negotiated deals with both EA and SI, so who could blame them for signing it? Keep in mind that the TV-money here in Germany is only a fraction of what the clubs in the Premier League receive, so you have to find other ways to make some money - such as exclusive deals.

Archived