Sleeping Giants

Hi,

Looking to start a new game as a "sleeping giant" club. A club that has won their countries top tier and suffered ever since.

RW-Essen and Fortuna Dusseldorf spring to mind in Germany for example.

Any suggestions, to add to these two?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real Sociedad from Spain. 2 time League champion, 1 time Cup champion, now in the second tier.

For something exotic you could look into Magallanes of Chile, though the Chilean third tier isn't currently available.

Iv'e tried to get Wednesday out of the Championship a few times, it's not easy with low budgets and the playing squad being quite poor in all honesty. A real challenge

It is a difficult challenge, i always seem to start off well with Wednesday then peter off mid season.

Just started a new game and bought some great free signings. Olivier Dacourt, Van de Meyde, Michael Ball and added Diouff from Man U on loan. So far im 4th. Pl 4, W 3, D 0, L 1

Nottm' Forest in England of course. Not only have they won the top tier, they've also won a couple of European Cups as well. Surely they are the team that the term "sleeping giant" was coined for?

Why not go with a real sleeping giant. Birmingham city,never won anything except the league cup in 1963 but come from the 2nd bigest city in England and now have some money to spend after years of scraps to feed on.

Not really a sleeping giant though, more of a team with great potential? Still, they'd be a good idea for a new save now I think about it.

Potenitally Forest are a sleeping giant, although really they are just a provincial club who enjoyed a fantastic spell under the astute management of Clough in the late seventies, before and since that they only have two FA Cups. Nottingham is not even in the top ten biggest cities in England, with less than a third the population of Birmingham.

Leeds, either of the Sheffield clubs, favouring Wednesday, Newcastle and potentially Birmingham in England.

On a European scale: Ajax, Red Star Belgrade, Dortmund, Gladbach, Marseille, Paris, Parma, Sampdoria

I'd personally like to see someone do something with Dynamo Dresden.

Potenitally Forest are a sleeping giant, although really they are just a provincial club who enjoyed a fantastic spell under the astute management of Clough in the late seventies, before and since that they only have two FA Cups. Nottingham is not even in the top ten biggest cities in England, with less than a third the population of Birmingham.

Leeds, either of the Sheffield clubs, favouring Wednesday, Newcastle and potentially Birmingham in England.

On a European scale: Ajax, Red Star Belgrade, Dortmund, Gladbach, Marseille, Paris, Parma, Sampdoria

I'd personally like to see someone do something with Dynamo Dresden.

I might do Dresden later on.

Saint Etienne in France .. 10 times league winners + 6 times cup winners

Top Shout, also got a tasty little local rivalry with Lyon on the go...I took over and won the league in 12/13. Gaetano D'Agostino was probably the top signing.

Boavista

Former Portuguese Champs with a decent new stadium, in their third tier due to a few iffy decisions from the ownership and their FA

Kaiserslautern

My favourite game i've played on 2010 was with them, again new stadium, in the bundesliga 2.

Archived