Why FM2010 over FM2009

To be honest mate, if you are loving 09 then 10 will be right up your street. Its not massively different but there are enough nice little additions to make you smile. And well said about 3d, who cares, waste of time. 2d classic FTW!

Don't think I can agree with the 3D match engine being better because it simply is unplayable on my laptop but aside from that FM2010 is faster that 09 and I think its a big improvement in so many areas. I buy the new game every year and have never looked back. I advise anyone to buy the new edition.

the bit I like more about FM10 than FM09 is the tactics.in 09 i had to download tactics to do well or suffer in midtable till i worked out exactly how far to tweak each slider. on FM10, i get to play players in ways that seem logical and with an overall tactic and it works, with me winning a far larger amount of the time. yes i still have to tweak things occasionally (depending on home or away) but its generally a lot simpler to understand and to get working.

FM10 is way more challenging than previous versions for me.

In previous versions I usually have started the game and never looked back. I make backup save each Summer so when my season goes horribly bad or I lose my save game file, I can load from beginning of the season. According to my 'own-developed cheating rules' I never reload single game to get a win, but I allow myself to restart whole season.

Long story short - I never had to reload a season in FM08 or FM09 because of my results. I always managed to pull off the title in the end or at least it was close until the end. In FM10, to be honest, I've had to do it twice already.

For me it shows that this game needs more dedication and concentration. You need to prepare for every game, you need to use tactics and shouts wisely not to lose game in the end or turn it around. You have to pay more attention to your players motivation, team talks, make sure that there's a competition for first team place or you'll struggle.

FM09 was fun, but it was too straightforward. I've noticed in my game that AI transfer policy is better than in FM09, at least until year 2011/2012 (haven't reached further yet). They pick better players to replace the ones they sold, they pick up decent and not so old free agents. They readjust their tactics to use their players in the best way.

Have to agree with a lot of what Draakon says above. FM10 is a wonderful game in many ways, but it requires a lot more of the gamer than FM09 and, in my opinion, has some flaws that makes it fall short of greatness. I absolutely loved the ME in the 9.3 patch and I don't think FM10 has ever managed to match it - the first couple of versions had issues (long shots in 10.1, narrow formations in 10.2) and while 10.3 has ironed out a lot of the problems it feels to me more like a fix of the earlier issues rather than the final flourish for the game. I still think I'm learning how to win consistently (and avoid trivial errors) in FM10 while I felt I understood 9.3 very quickly. Depends what sort of gamer you are, if you want the challenge and don't mind a bit more legwork then have a go at a lower league save in FM10. If you're more casual, stick with 09 while you're enjoying it.

Haven't tried FM 2010 yet (not even the demo) but, judging by the above two comments, I'd probably stick with 2009... if there's one thing I always though about the FM series is that it isn't newbie friendly, and if they make the game even more challenging then that's a clear turn off for me.

I'm not against making the game more challenging... but do like in other games where you can select a difficulty level. Let experienced FM fans play in "Hard" mode if they want to, but allow for everyone else (casuals, newbies, etc) to play in "Easy" or "Medium".

Anyway, if I know me, I'll probably wait until 2011 is released, as 2010 should drop in price (especially second-hand)... that's when I like to buy the game :)

FM10 is more challenging than FM09 (FM08 was tougher though). Overall polished and sleek look and feel. New tactics creator is very good - need same training creator in FM11.

I love it.

To be honest mate, if you are loving 09 then 10 will be right up your street. Its not massively different but there are enough nice little additions to make you smile. And well said about 3d, who cares, waste of time. 2d classic FTW!

2D rules! SI have to keep in future! :thup:

Haven't tried FM 2010 yet (not even the demo) but, judging by the above two comments, I'd probably stick with 2009... if there's one thing I always though about the FM series is that it isn't newbie friendly, and if they make the game even more challenging then that's a clear turn off for me.

I'm not against making the game more challenging... but do like in other games where you can select a difficulty level. Let experienced FM fans play in "Hard" mode if they want to, but allow for everyone else (casuals, newbies, etc) to play in "Easy" or "Medium".

I think that game in the other hand is actually even easier to understand in FM10 than it was in FM09. Mainly because new tactic creator and player role system, what basically makes you very clear what attributes to look for certain roles and what role is the best use of this particular player. In previous versions you had to play with sliders yourself and for newbies it was clearly too much to understand, what each slider does or what should be exact amount of creative freedom to maximize your striker's performance.

FM10 is more challengng because it doesn't allow you to overrun details. Game itself is the same. Team talks are similar, training is similar, scout reports are similar. You just can't ignore so many details now, you have to pay attention and be careful not to forget anything.

Archived