Is this game designed to make you lose?

I NOW REALISE THAT I HAVE GIVEN THIS THREAD THE WRONG TITLE.

IT SHOULD PERHAPS BE

WHY WHEN EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL DOES THE GAME SEEM TO TRIP YOU UP

RANT ALERT

I really hate this game

You think you just have it figured out and then it gets you.

I have taken Swindon up from the first division to the EPL in succesive seasons

In my 3rd season in the EPL we are sitting pretty in 2nd place with 5 games in hand over Arsenal in 1st place.

We are in the semi finals of the european cup and in the final of the FA cup.

No new players brought in since the previous summer so everyone knows each other and there are no problems between players excellent team spirit everything is flying along smoothly.

Then suddenly 6 first team players all start complaining that they are worried about the lack of team harmony WHY how can there be lack of harmony they are having there best season ever.

Then we lose 3 and draw 2 of the 5 games in hand and end up finishing 2nd.

Lose the euro semifinal on away goals.

Get hammered in the FA cup final.

How can this happen everyones spirit was superb they where beating everyone then all of a sudden it goes to **** for no reason.

I really hate this game.

RANT OVER.

No nothing wrong was said that I can think of :(

The only thing I can remember was when we where 0-2 up against one of the bottom 3 clubs it can up in the commentary this will be Swindons 23rd win in a row we then lost the game 4-2 when we where were totally dominating the game.

EPL 2nd

FA Runner-up

Euro-Cup Semi Final

all this with Swindon in their 3rd year in the Premier League.

and then ranting about the game being designed to make you lose :D:D

Sorry, I feel the need to vent some frustration after how things ended, but this is hilarious. :)

Teams have blips in real life and FM is designed to replicate real life as much as it can.

I can understand the frustration..........................welcome to the world of management!!!

EPL 2nd

FA Runner-up

Euro-Cup Semi Final

all this with Swindon in their 3rd year in the Premier League.

and then ranting about the game being designed to make you lose :D:D

Sorry, I feel the need to vent some frustration after how things ended, but this is hilarious. :)

Why is it hilarious

Its just a case of searching and getting the right players at the right time for the right price

For example Milos Dimitrijevic I got him on a free whilst in the 1st division last season he was runner up player of the year in the prem.

So why is it hilarious just because its Swindon ?

Don't get me wrong. Good job getting them up there :thup::)

It's just funny that you complain about the game being designed to make you lose (though I feel you just needed to vent a bit of frustration rather than seriously claiming that this is indeed the case) when you don't win everything with such a small club with which you already achieve success this club could never have irl.

That's ironic and as such hilarious :)

When you cheat through to the top of premier league with Swindon in just 'THREE' seasons, you don't have any problems but when the game finally recognizes your stupidity and correctly punishes you, you rant about it. Well done.

It is pretty funny that you've managed such unrealistic success and then complain that the game decides to make you lose.

You may have a point about the players reactions, it does sound strange. But bringing it up in a thread where you rant about the game cheating you is not going to get very far.

You may have found an issue, concentrate on that rather than claiming the game is cheating you.

When you cheat through to the top of premier league with Swindon in just 'THREE' seasons, you don't have any problems but when the game finally recognizes your stupidity and correctly punishes you, you rant about it. Well done.

I never cheated

What gives you the right to even suggest that I did you moron.

I never cheated

What gives you the right to even suggest that I did you moron.

I do not usually judge people but id like your advice on this because what you have said makes you one of the greatest managers ever to live and I want to be the same.

Check your players who are worried by the lack of harmony and see if there's a member or staff or another player that they don't like, if they all don't like someone then get rid of them.

I had great team spirit until a little upstart came in from the academy. One player said they didn't like the guy. And I left it hoping it would sort itself out. I then loaned out the upstart and the other player, Miguel Veloso, was relieved that he had left. When he came back from loan he was upset again. Well, Veloso, was retiring that season so I thought the problem would go away.

It was only until someone bid €3m for the guy and I refused it and he complained that I eventually sold him. As soon as he was gone team spirit was like a sparkling river of candy.

Check your players who are worried by the lack of harmony and see if there's a member or staff or another player that they don't like, if they all don't like someone then get rid of them.

Just if it's you they don't like, then ... :D

I do not usually judge people but id like your advice on this because what you have said makes you one of the greatest managers ever to live and I want to be the same.

Firstly I don't class myself as a great manager.

I have been playing fm for years and this is the best run I have ever had.

I like to manage lower league teams between BSP to 1st division I usually change teams when I get to the prem.

I decided though this time to see just how far I could take them.

I guess I struck lucky with some of my players 4 of my first team prem players I got on free transfers whilst I was in the 1st division and they have done me proud and are performing well in the prem.

I also try to get aging players on a free ie Micheal Owen and have been lucky in selling them on for a good profit at the end of the season.

I get as many scouts as possible and scout individual countries instead of continents and then get them to rescout another scouts country so they are constantly scouting.

I check higher league teams in June to see who hasn't been offered a contract

I try to get players on loan from abroad (I have had some good ones from Juve who I have later managed to sign at very good prices)

I figure prefering to play lower league makes you a better manager and makes you search harder for players instead of taking over a top club and just splashing the cash.

My first team last season had 2 players under the age of 20 4 players under the age of 22 some of these I have had in my squad for 5 years so they have developed well and only 2 players over the age of 30 so that I can keep most of the same team for years.

So as I say I dont consider myself a great manager I just persevere and search and get good coaches and a good assistant manager.

Plus I have been lucky to get a team that seemed to gel extremely well together up until everything went wrong all of a sudden.

Firstly I don't class myself as a great manager.

I have been playing fm for years and this is the best run I have ever had.

I like to manage lower league teams between BSP to 1st division I usually change teams when I get to the prem.

I decided though this time to see just how far I could take them.

I guess I struck lucky with some of my players 4 of my first team prem players I got on free transfers whilst I was in the 1st division and they have done me proud and are performing well in the prem.

I also try to get aging players on a free ie Micheal Owen and have been lucky in selling them on for a good profit at the end of the season.

I get as many scouts as possible and scout individual countries instead of continents and then get them to rescout another scouts country so they are constantly scouting.

I check higher league teams in June to see who hasn't been offered a contract

I try to get players on loan from abroad (I have had some good ones from Juve who I have later managed to sign at very good prices)

I figure prefering to play lower league makes you a better manager and makes you search harder for players instead of taking over a top club and just splashing the cash.

My first team last season had 2 players under the age of 20 4 players under the age of 22 some of these I have had in my squad for 5 years so they have developed well and only 2 players over the age of 30 so that I can keep most of the same team for years.

So as I say I dont consider myself a great manager I just persevere and search and get good coaches and a good assistant manager.

Plus I have been lucky to get a team that seemed to gel extremely well together up until everything went wrong all of a sudden.

you've said lucky a lot of times. I doubt it's luck. You got players who would never have come to your club because the game is stupid (having players willing to go to clubs they'd never want to) and rival managers seem to have no interest in getting players in on frees who would improve their team vastly.

You scout countries and your scouts tell you about good players that you sign yet all the other teams with all their scouts somehow don't find the same players or for some reason choose not to sign them. Again this is because the game is stupid not anything to do with luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

I sometimes feel that is game is like a puzzle game. When things go well for a time, it creates a problem for you to solve. I had

a good run in my current main save and then, even when I dominated most games utterly, no goals. Then captain's moral collapsed,

and soon my best goalkeeper started to let every shot in. Apparently he has problems with som team mate. I got his

moral back up by playing him in friendly wins against minnows, but in next main match three shots on goal by the opponent,

three goals for the opponent. An avalanche of injuries, even when I am playing cautious tackling game with light training.

And thus, another season is collapsing.

And I do, half-heartedly, feel that this game produces this kind of puzzles to solve. Some main player or players starting

to play like feces and then you have to solve that problem. I just don't think that this games puzzles can be solved. I'm

probably going to get the sack in my current save. And it's not fun. Doing everything well and then all collapses. And it

happens in all my saves - I haven't have a save in FM10 when a succesful run wouldn't suddenly turn into a goal drought,

and they don't end. Nothing helps. And thus, sack, and new save, and the same happens.

I sometimes feel that is game is like a puzzle game. When things go well for a time, it creates a problem for you to solve.

When things go well for a time, complacency creates a problem for you to solve. How often does Alex Ferguson name the same starting 11 for the same tactics for consecutive games?

The biggest problem FM players have in the game is their own preconceived ideas of success. The only way to keep beating the game is to keep playing it in detail, to keep paying attention and realise that every match is a brand new challenge. When you get lulled into complacency as a manager, failure is just around the corner.

Ofcourse there is no "complacency" indicator for the human manager, so it can be difficult to spot.

The problem is that in my opinion rotating players and changing tactics often messes up teams themselves. Of course, I don't think I have in my most recent save have had the exact same eleven starting players for more than two or three games because of injuries galore.

Personally, I honestly think that kind of need to follow details is too much to ask in a computer game where one team in some leagues can play 60 competitive games in a season if succesful in cups also. This game should be fun. Some complacency should be allowed.

The problem is that in my opinion rotating players and changing tactics often messes up teams themselves. Of course, I don't think I have in my most recent save have had the exact same eleven starting players for more than two or three games because of injuries galore.

Personally, I honestly think that kind of need to follow details is too much to ask in a computer game where one team in some leagues can play 60 competitive games in a season if succesful in cups also. This game should be fun. Some complacency should be allowed.

That's not a problem with the game, it's a problem with your game.

No, it's the problem with this broken game. And please don't speak about realism. Most of team kits in this game aren't correct, for example, so why should the rest of the game be Sacrifice Your Life Football Manager with huge amounts of obscure tinkering with team mentality without anyone being sure how exactly everything ties together? I would prefer the team kits to be correct, South African teams have founding years etc and the game to be fun instead of playing with minuscule details and being frustrated because I said something wrong in an interview and my team's moral fell like a house of cards.

Somebodyfoolish - given the name, is your post meant to be ironic? I can't tell.

I hate nothing more than people complaining about the excessive influence of press conferences etc.

It seems like every time people lose and they want something to blame, they'll look to press conferences and team talks, or complain that they shouldn't have to "constantly tweak" their tactics.

I play the same tactic every game, and I **** off players in team talks who still then go on to help me win the next day.

As for the OP: you can't win every game.

Players get increasingly complacent the longer you win, and when those high-pressure games come toward the season's end, some of them have forgotten how to find that extra gear. It happens. I'm sure next season'll be better.

I play the same tactic every game, and I **** off players in team talks who still then go on to help me win the next day.

I also play with the same tactic much of the season and occassionaly change it up depending on opposition and still manage to win games

The game can get a little frustrating but its just that, a game, so take a break when you get aggravated, it works :thup:

Press conferences and especially team talks can have a huge effect. In my current team I have for example two experienced, good players who will always "play nervously" if I demand a victory. And then there's my best striker, who gets "complacent" and doesn't play well if I don't demand a good performance. It doesn't matter if we are at home, top of the league, against a truly bad opposition. It's the same for these players all the time. Forget this and give the wrong team talk to them and players who normally in an average game get 6.8-7.2 suddenly get 5.6-5.9.

And I have to be nice towards other managers, or my players complain, but I can't say nice things about their teams' chances, or my players start to complain that I shouldn't praise other teams. Does that influence how they play? Team moral? I don't know, but it has been claimed.

Archived