Has squad numbers problem been fixed in the new patch?

It's been implemented poorly by SI - which they acknowledge as they just used the Spanish version.

However it will not be in the patch as it's too much work apparently.

A horrible situation to be honest as young players no longer need a number so players like Wilshere, Macheda lose a lot of identity.

so what is the situation going to be in real life, and how does it differ to how it is implemented in FM?

I broke my crystal ball when I was drunk last night so cant see into the future anymore!

I suppose we'll just have to wait until next season to see how the rules are implemented.

so what is the situation going to be in real life, and how does it differ to how it is implemented in FM?

It's not been 100% confirmed by the Premier League but it's likely to be similar to the Champions League registration system - ie squad numbers are not directly linked to how many players you can register.

For example you'll be able to give squad numbers to whoever but only 25 players can be registered.

Can you really see players like Wilshere, Welbeck, Macheda not being given numbers?

I can't.

I also hope they fix the bug with the preferred numbers causing the team's best players and even icons of the club having their numbers changed for a new signing because the incoming player has a "preferred number"

Fed up of Rooney being number 13 after a season...

25 registered players to work with should be more than enough for the season anyway I think unless you have the most horrendous and unfortunate injury crisis. You should also remember that players aged 21 or under do not need to be registered so that will give even more players to choose from. I really cant see this new registration rule being a problem.

25 registered players to work with should be more than enough for the season anyway I think unless you have the most horrendous and unfortunate injury crisis. You should also remember that players aged 21 or under do not need to be registered so that will give even more players to choose from. I really cant see this new registration rule being a problem.

Think you're missing the point here.

The number isn't an issue - it's not being able to give squad numbers to more than 25 players that's an issue.

Wilshere will not need a number, for example, and that means he's given a random number in a match as well as losing a bit of identity.

Squad numbers carry a lot of identity and it's an area of the game people enjoy 'managing'.

Not being able to give your youngsters a permant number is the issue they should have used the Champions League system its much better

Exactly!

I would love this to be changed in the patch.

But I fear it won't be.

This is especially frustrating for players like me, who use a full 16/18 youngsters in a match day squad in the F.A Cup, League Cup, even Europe sometimes if we have already qualified from group stage. Poorly implemented by SI, and I can't believe th amount of people working on the game didn't think this through.

Oh wait, of course they realised it, but it will be a 'new feature' next year. Guess what people? In FM2011 you can give ALL your squad numbers! Aren't we so good to you people?!

I don't like the feature and think EPL is gonna suffer because of it IRL

IRL Man City will suffer, and maybe Chelsea, but they're the only clubs that operate with large squads over the age of 21. The rule works fine though, look at Spain!

Regardless, the way I'd have done it is to use the Champions League model.

This really annoys me too. I know that the rule hasn't been implemented IRL yet so SI has no idea how the premier league is going to do it, but I can't believe that they won't allow any youngsters outside the 25-man squad to get a squad number.

Hopefully they will patch this to allow it to work similar to how the CL works, namely, any player can have a squad number but on those eligible players can be selected.

Is there any way to 'undo' the rule (in the editor maybe) so that we can assign squad numbers to everyone?

Again, hoping they fix this in a patch.

Just edit nation rules and set up a new premiership competition, you have to adjust all the prize money yourself and can set it up so that certain matches or moved for tv...I set up the matches for Live game coverage, so 2 on a Saturday, 2 on a Sunday and 1 on a Monday!

Only problem is that I don't think it's possible to set it up so that the last game of the season is played on a Sunday and all games kick off at once.

This really annoys me too. I know that the rule hasn't been implemented IRL yet so SI has no idea how the premier league is going to do it, but I can't believe that they won't allow any youngsters outside the 25-man squad to get a squad number.

Hopefully they will patch this to allow it to work similar to how the CL works, namely, any player can have a squad number but on those eligible players can be selected.

Is there any way to 'undo' the rule (in the editor maybe) so that we can assign squad numbers to everyone?

Again, hoping they fix this in a patch.

It is going to be implemented in the 2010/11 season which ironcially is when it comes in in the game:eek:

It is going to be implemented in the 2010/11 season which ironcially is when it comes in in the game:eek:

nobody disagrees about the rule coming in we just think SI have poorly implemented it in the game. In real life you would not give a player below the age of 21 a random number each game they would have set numbers along with players who arent registered to play. Basicaly the EPL registration needs to be just that you say whos in your 25 man squad once you have stated whos in a different menu comes up with player numbers

people are just not getting it are they? They will not be implementing the squad numbers the way they currently are in the game. It's broken.

nobody disagrees about the rule coming in we just think SI have poorly implemented it in the game. In real life you would not give a player below the age of 21 a random number each game they would have set numbers along with players who arent registered to play. Basicaly the EPL registration needs to be just that you say whos in your 25 man squad once you have stated whos in a different menu comes up with player numbers

Exactly, I should be able to give squad numbers to whoever I like, then I should be asked to select which 25 players to register.

The problem now is, if I pick a non-registered player who is under 21 (which I'm allowed to do) he doesn't have a squad number, and is given an arbitrary number which can vary from match to match.

Of course, the other issue is that we have no idea how the EPL will implement it in real life. For example, the may require the 25 registered players to be numbered 1 through 25, with the under 21 year olds numbered from 26 onwards. BUT, however they do it, I can virtually guarantee that they will continue to use squad numbers.

The method FM has chose to use is baffling.

Exactly, I should be able to give squad numbers to whoever I like, then I should be asked to select which 25 players to register.

The problem now is, if I pick a non-registered player who is under 21 (which I'm allowed to do) he doesn't have a squad number, and is given an arbitrary number which can vary from match to match.

Of course, the other issue is that we have no idea how the EPL will implement it in real life. For example, the may require the 25 registered players to be numbered 1 through 25, with the under 21 year olds numbered from 26 onwards. BUT, however they do it, I can virtually guarantee that they will continue to use squad numbers.

The method FM has chose to use is baffling.

they wont do that as the likes of Tevez and John Terry would have to change numbers :)

SI have said it's too complex to change in the patch.

I am no computer programmer, but I can't see why this would be so complicated to change. It's not like anything to do with the Match engine, as changing things there can directly affect other things. I can't see how this would.

I am no computer programmer, but I can't see why this would be so complicated to change. It's not like anything to do with the Match engine, as changing things there can directly affect other things. I can't see how this would.

Well it would have to not be save game compatible, because it would cause problems trying to have both methods in one season. (eg. you patch it around Nov in the game).

This alone adds to the complexity of changing it, not to mention the level of testing that would be required. Every change you make can have unexpected knock on effects elsewhere.

I don't know SI's testing regime, but every time I make a change to my code after it has been tested it has to have a full re-test to ensure there are no knock on effects. So ideally you don't want to change something that it may not be crucial to change.

Well it would have to not be save game compatible, because it would cause problems trying to have both methods in one season. (eg. you patch it around Nov in the game).

This alone adds to the complexity of changing it, not to mention the level of testing that would be required. Every change you make can have unexpected knock on effects elsewhere.

I don't know SI's testing regime, but every time I make a change to my code after it has been tested it has to have a full re-test to ensure there are no knock on effects. So ideally you don't want to change something that it may not be crucial to change.

Ok fair play, and cheers for the info :thup:

Whats the big deal, its hardly a game breaker is it?

It is for me, yes, as it takes away a lot of the realism.

It's a backward step in terms of squad numbers in FM09 so it should be discussed on the forum, reported on and fixed at some point.

I don't want my young players getting random squad numbers every game, do you?

It is for me, yes, as it takes away a lot of the realism.

It's a backward step in terms of squad numbers in FM09 so it should be discussed on the forum, reported on and fixed at some point.

I don't want my young players getting random squad numbers every game, do you?

Can't say I care too much about my youths squad numbers. Its a minor that will be fixed eventually, either the late patch or for FM11. As for being unrealistic, seeing as no one knows what the EPL are going to do, how do we know it is unrealistic? Maybe they will have the same system. Once they've announced the ACTUAL rules then we can comment on the realism or not.

• SI Staff

The current way that it is implemented will stay the same for FM2010 as making any changes will cause issues with save game compatibility.

For next year once the real life rules have been published then we will implement them into FM as closely as possible.

The current way that it is implemented will stay the same for FM2010 as making any changes will cause issues with save game compatibility.

For next year once the real life rules have been published then we will implement them into FM as closely as possible.

Thanks - but why was it implemented this way and not the same way as the Champions League? Seems to have been really silly to do it the way you have.

Fair enough that it's too much for a patch, given the save game compatibility. Still pretty frustrating.

Strange that the Champions League rules were not used instead of the Spanish rules as it's almost certain to mirror these.

The Premier League will not mess about with squad numbers when it comes to registration - that's a certainty.

For one it will interfere with teams merchandising too much. How can fans get a Walcott shirt, for example, if he doesn't need a number to be registered?

Archived