Stoke City Galacticos?

So in my save Stoke have bought the following players in 3 seasons:

Luis Fabiano

Fernando Gago

Martin Cacaeres (sp?)

Edin Dzeko (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Tozic

Unless one of you guys is actually managing them, this situation is clearly NEVER going to happen in real life.

For a laugh as AC Milan, I put in a 40m pound bid for Dzeko, yet it was rejected. Stoke City rejecting a 40 MILLION POUND BID. It's not like they've made the CL, they've been mid table every season, and no takeover bid.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Why is it never going to happen to happen in real life? Look at the players they have now compared to who they had when they came up last season, then add another 2 seasons of growth on top of that and its possible. They have sky high revenue from the premier league and little debt so they make money.

Why is it never going to happen to happen in real life? Look at the players they have now compared to who they had when they came up last season, then add another 2 seasons of growth on top of that and its possible. They have sky high revenue from the premier league and little debt so they make money.

It's not just the money. Do you see Edin Dzeko, tipped as one of the best young strikers in the world, turning down the likes of Barcelona, AC Milan, Man Utd, and Real Madrid, to go play some hoofball at Stoke City?

It's not just the money. Do you see Edin Dzeko, tipped as one of the best young strikers in the world, turning down the likes of Barcelona, AC Milan, Man Utd, and Real Madrid, to go play some hoofball at Stoke City?

Well he is a big bloke so hoofball wouldn't be that bad. He is 24 near the beginning of next year so he isn't that young. And time has passed in your game so anything could have happened really.

I'd say it happens IRL,but not very often.Look at the tevez and mascherano going 2 west ham a few years back,know one expected that.
Well he is a big bloke so hoofball wouldn't be that bad. He is 24 near the beginning of next year so he isn't that young. And time has passed in your game so anything could have happened really.

He signed after two seasons from Wolfsburg who won the league in the first season, and second in the next. Stoke were mid-table in both, no significant progress in any cups. I just don't see how the reputation of teams has played any part in any of these deals.

Corinthians to West Ham = Step up

Real Madrid/Sevilla/Man Utd/Wolfsburg to Stoke = Big step down

2 Argentinian internationals with bright futures joining a team that had only been back in the top league 1 season a step up? No.

And Dzeko plays for Wolfsburg not the other 3, and moving from the German League to the English League is a step up, Man United might not have been interested and Stoke are a solid Premiership mid table club in game.

Going by your logic also, Tevez and Mascherano went from Corinthians/Real Madrid or whatever other teams were interested in them to West Ham... Step down.

It happens.

well no, the west ham deal was clearly a special case as it was designed to put them in the shop window so they'd get a move to a world class club a season or two later

not really comparable to stoke buying dzeko (who's playing in the champions league) and then refusing bids of £40m for him

For Fabiano, for example, clubs like Valencia and Lyon were in for him, but he rejected them for Stoke.

Stoke's owner and chairman Peter Coates is actually pretty wealthy. Worth over £400m and in the last 4 seasons since he came back to the club has edged quite close to having the club reaching not too far off a spending of £80 - £90m. Not in the leagues of Man City etc obviously, but compared to some other teams down there like Bolton & Hull we are currently much more affluent; West Brom bemoaned the fact they didn't have as much money as us many a time last year.

In short, the Bundesliga at the moment isn't as big a league as the Premiership. Stoke could arguably pay more money than Wolfsburg in wages (Strachan complained about 'being blown out of the water' with the wages Stoke could offer James Beattie compared to them last January).

As for rejecting the bid, with the same chairman still there the club will be quite wealthy and wouldn't need to accept the bid. We're in the same position irl, unless a silly, silly bid comes in for players we want to keep a hold of we don't have to sell. The club pretty much in local media ruled out the possibility of Ryan Shawcross leaving for the £11/£12m liverpool were thought to be interested in trying to buy him for.

But anyway, none of those players are actually "huge" in terms of world football. Fabiano isn't in the same esteem as he was a few years ago, and Dzeko isn't at the epitome of his game yet which has seen there being firm interest from the top sides.

Did Stoke get a new manager? In my game season 3 Fulham hired Roberto Mancini and managed to attract the likes of Daniele de Rossi, Mauro Zarate and Juan Manuel Mata when they were still in the bottom half of the table, just to name a few. They did have other options as well, such as myself having won the league twice.

I don't think it's too much of a big deal. It depends on the context.

If Dzeko rejected Barcelona to join Stoke, then something is probably awry. The same if Wolfsburg were dominating European football.

Otherwise, Dzeko moving from a recently successful but not big German club to a league with as high a reputation as any other is not massively surprising. Simply getting a move to such a big league will give him a chance to join a bigger team in said league if he can do well.

The same hoofball that saw Arsenal whinging like girls when they lost at Stoke in the 2008/9 season?

Dseko to Stoke is probably a lot more realistic than the transfers going on in my game. As manager of Celtic, so far I've signed Royston Drenthe, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Caicedo, Jo, Ronaldinho, Deco, Stankovic and most recently Carlos Vela from Man City for £3.2 million. All within the first four seasons of the game.

Dseko to Stoke is probably a lot more realistic than the transfers going on in my game. As manager of Celtic, so far I've signed Royston Drenthe, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Caicedo, Jo, Ronaldinho, Deco, Stankovic and most recently Carlos Vela from Man City for £3.2 million. All within the first four seasons of the game.

i signed ronaldo back to united for 3million, and got iker cassias on a free :rolleyes:

lmao they are all crap players and celtic is a side with a huge reputation, not really a surprise.

Ronaldinho, Deco and Stankovic are past their best but still rediculously good compared to the league standard. Caicedo and Jo were two of the most prolific strikers in the league last season, so if that's what crap is I'll take all the 'crap' players I can get. If you know of a left back/leftwinger who's better than Drenthe playing in the SPL or a league of similar rep, I'd love to know who he is.

As for Vela, for a 'crap' player I'd say this is pretty good going

From Wiki

'In his full debut on 23 September 2008 against Sheffield United in the League Cup, Vela scored a hat-trick in a 6–0 win, with his second goal recently voted as one of Arsenal's 50 greatest goals'.

Archived