Chelsea transfer embargo

I was wondering if anybody knows about this. In the game chelsea is still allowed to sign players who are out of contract even though they are banned from making any transfers. Is this something that the SI team missed or will it be like that in reality as well ?????

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=155461

They can sign players until the end of the summer window, thats when the embargo comes in effect, just like in real life.

Thats not what I am saying. After the summer....I was still able to sign players whose contract was expired. I wasnt able to make offers for anybody, but out of contract players could be signed

that to me seems like a bug

I don't think it is a bug. My understanding of the ban given to Chelski is that they may not buy players during the next 2 transfer windows (january 10 & summer 10), which effectively means an 18 month ban, they were not actually given an 18 month ban. This leaves 2 possible reasons why they may still be able to sign free players before january 2010.

1) As they are banned for 2 transfer windows not 18 months the ban may not actually come into effect until the start of the first transfer window involved, i.e. in January. This would allow them to sign players up to January but as there is no transfer window only free-signings may be made.

2) The ban may be exactly as it was described "for the next 2 complete transfer windows" and therefore is only actually in effect during a transfer window, which leaves them free to sign players who are unattached at any point during the ban period outside of transfer windows.

I don't know the exact details well enough to say for sure but I think it is likely that 1 of these explanations is close to the truth and so it is not a bug, it is just people's misunderstanding of the ban imposed on Chelski.:cool:

I don't think it is a bug. My understanding of the ban given to Chelski is that they may not buy players during the next 2 transfer windows (january 10 & summer 10), which effectively means an 18 month ban, they were not actually given an 18 month ban. This leaves 2 possible reasons why they may still be able to sign free players before january 2010.

1) As they are banned for 2 transfer windows not 18 months the ban may not actually come into effect until the start of the first transfer window involved, i.e. in January. This would allow them to sign players up to January but as there is no transfer window only free-signings may be made.

2) The ban may be exactly as it was described "for the next 2 complete transfer windows" and therefore is only actually in effect during a transfer window, which leaves them free to sign players who are unattached at any point during the ban period outside of transfer windows.

I don't know the exact details well enough to say for sure but I think it is likely that 1 of these explanations is close to the truth and so it is not a bug, it is just people's misunderstanding of the ban imposed on Chelski.:cool:

They're banned from registering players during the registration periods in question. They cannot sign anyone, free agent or not, until 2011. I believe what is happening is that players are being signed during the extended free agent registration period, outside of the transfer window.

Yeap it would then make sense. I guess they could now sign free agents but not after the january window until the embargo is lifted. Thanks

They're banned from registering players during the registration periods in question. They cannot sign anyone, free agent or not, until 2011. I believe what is happening is that players are being signed during the extended free agent registration period, outside of the transfer window.

I think you are right on this, it is the registration they are banned from not the signing. In that case then they can sign free agents (or players from other clubs for £millions if they wished) but they wouldn't be able to play these players until 2011. But what player will sign for a club he knows he can't play for for 18months?

So the only players I would expect to see signed on the game is youngsters who realistically wouldn't be in the team for years anyway and just want to be at a club with top training facilities and top players to be tutored by.

What I want to know is can Chelsea still agree deals for players but have the transfer date set for September 2011 when the ban ends? In real life I guess this would be ok as they are not going to be registering any players before the ban ends, they will just be agreeing that the transfer will go through in the future.

Chelsea can sign anyone they want. It's just a bit useless to want them immediately available as they can't register anyone.

So they can sign anyone with a future move clause.

They can also sign free agents but they won't be available to play until 2011 (or whenever their ban expires).

So to summarise the ban in the game. It's totally messed up!

Chelsea can buy free agents and register them, when they can't IRL and they can't sign up plays to sign in the future which they can IRL.

So all in all a great big **** up.

Archived