Royal mail Postal Strike

So as predicted there will be a national postal strike for 2x 48hr strikes at the end of October. As many people have pre-ordered the game via the Internet, will some people still keep their orders even though the game might be caught up in the back log? And who knows when it could get delivered then?

I've ordered the game through shopto.net as I've used them many times before. I know some companies such as Amazon will be using a different delivery service.

What else will people be doing?

I've been getting a backlog of letters (funny how bills still arrive on time?) for a number of weeks now. With the threat of doing so again, I'm not pre-ordering anything and instead opting to buy it at a retail outlet. I may pay a little more doing so, but I'd rather do that and have it in my hands on release day rather than waiting for the post to arrive.

Perhaps the Post team themselves want some time off to play FM?

Do what I always do. Pre order a cheap copy and also buy from a shop on release day as my postman doesn't arrive till about 1.

I'll take the copy I ordered online back to the shop.

Delightfully disgraceful. Does this work? Aren't shops a bit funny about refunding on PC games / software?

The world won't end if I'm not playing FM10 at 9am on Friday morning, so no I won't cancel anything

the world will end if royal mail take as long to deliver my copy of FM10 as they have taken to deliver the PSP version of Gran Turismo ~ which still has not arrived, a week after posting.

You can always sign up for a 30-day trial of Amazon Prime and order it that way, nearer the time (just remember to cancel it before the 30 days are up!). They ususally use someone like City-Link to deliver it then, who presumably won't be involved in the strike action.

I now cannot stand postmans and bloody unions. Thought they were supposed to help

small businesses such as myself and this is getting stupid. If it's not the postman it's the train drivers / workers on strike. This is bloody crazy stuff. Looks like I'll be going shopping to get it.

Is there a price for the Steam download yet? If not, can anyone remember how much it was last year?

If it isn't too expensive, I'll probably cancel my Zavvi order.

Think it was the same price as the boxed version hence I didn't bother with steam.

I refuse to pay the same price for a download as the box, disc and manual. Makes no sense to me.

I now cannot stand postmans and bloody unions. Thought they were supposed to help

small businesses such as myself and this is getting stupid. If it's not the postman it's the train drivers / workers on strike. This is bloody crazy stuff. Looks like I'll be going shopping to get it.

With 2.5m people unemployed they're fecking braver than I am taking strike action.

Hardly skilled work is it.

Think it was the same price as the boxed version hence I didn't bother with steam.

I refuse to pay the same price for a download as the box, disc and manual. Makes no sense to me.

Because you place some sort of inherent worth on a plastic box and an optical disc?

With 2.5m people unemployed they're fecking braver than I am taking strike action.

Hardly skilled work is it.

Why don't they just sack the ones that want a strike and employ the ones who

actually want to work and let them get on with it. Then they will

see that a strike is bloody stupid.

Because you place some sort of inherent worth on a plastic box and an optical disc?

Yes, in a way.

Also there are surely manufacturing savings in selling a digital download over my plastic box, optical disc and paper manual.

I feel these should be passed on to me rather than pocketed by whoever.

Presumably, the argument might be that they're offset by the convenience of you downloading it without leaving your computer, and getting patches/updates automatically installed.

The fact that you can choose between both options is hard to argue against.

Presumably, the argument might be that they're offset by the convenience of you downloading it without leaving your computer, and getting patches/updates automatically installed.

The fact that you can choose between both options is hard to argue against.

That's another fair point. I would then offset that by factoring in my electricity cost/internet download limit.

Guess I'm just old fashioned.

hehe, fair enough - as long as you have the choice :)

For me, I'm more than happy downloading it, receiving all the patches automatically, and then chucking a shortcut on my desktop which stops me having to run the game through Steam.

I did guess this would turn in to some sort of Union-bashing exercise within a few posts. Perhaps you two could contine your cosy chat somewhere else?

Sorry mate, I just get frustrated as I send invoices out to my clients and they send a cheque bk but now it will take twice as long to get them back. It's not as if the clients send it back as soon as they get it either!!!

Oh well...! Roll on fm release day!

Sorry mate, I just get frustrated as I send invoices out to my clients and they send a cheque bk but now it will take twice as long to get them back. It's not as if the clients send it back as soon as they get it either!!!

Fair enough, just remember that there's two sides to any story.

Oh well...! Roll on fm release day!

I think that's something we can all agree on :)

Chances are high st. retailers will take advantage of the situation and not sell the game for less than rrp.

I've pre ordered from Zavvi as well and I wonder if they'll class the order as despatched and debit my card even though it will be stocked piled somewhere within Royal Mail.

I prefer to have the boxed version as I can put it on Ebay when I get bored. Sold FM09 a couple of months back for £14 !!

Guess I'll just play the demo a bit longer than intended.

I'm not going to be at home on Saturday and Sunday so makes no difference to me really, i've booked the following week off work so I'll have plenty of time to play it, still happy with my £17.95 bargain.

Archived