fm09 - bit of unrealism??

hi guys, just wondered about something ive seen in my liverpool fm09 game, im into the 3rd season, and i was playing palermo in the super cup game, it was 2-2 after ET so went to penaltys.. i lost 2-0 on pens, palermos keep saved all 4 of my pens!! form torres, bojan, gerrard and veloso!! and my keeper saved 2 of thiers.. i just think its incredibly unlikly that there would be 6 saved penalties from those players who have great penalty taking stats in 1 shoot out.

also..

olympiakos V liverpool, champs league group stages.. i was 2-0 down and i scored in the 82nd, 84th and 87th minute to take a 3-2 lead and then olympiakos made it 3-3 in the 89th minute.. insted of being ****ed off i just felt myself laughing at the cheer bullshitness of the entire match.

anyone else get any rediculously unbelieveable scenarios?

I got the opposite during a penalty shootout, everyone scored at least once (including the keepers) making the penalty score 17-16.

http://bildr.no/view/496594

Strange sorts of shootouts do happen IRL though. I remember at least two instances in the last few years where penalty shootouts ended 11-12 or similar: England U21s vs. Holland U21 in the European Championships in 2007, and one of the semi-finals in the African Cup of Nations 2006 between Cameroon and Ivory Coast.

Alternatively, there have been plenty of shootouts where quality players have been apparently hopeless. United beat Chelsea 3-0 in a shootout for the Community Shield a few years ago; Van der Sar somehow saved all three of Chelsea's penalties. The penalty-related stats of the outfield players/keepers may well be high, but you have to take into account other factors like their determination, motivation at that time, their match fitness (some of them will have played 120 minutes, remember), etc, etc.

As for the Olympiakos game, it isn't unrealistic for you to go 2-0 down in any game applying the wrong tactic, even if you're Liverpool, especially away from home. As soon as you went 3-2 up (and comebacks can happen that quickly, especially by Liverpool - the three goal comeback in the CL final against Milan happened in only six minutes), you should have shut up shop right away. Personally, I think you're just disappointed that you're blowing games, which is understandable. Remember: it's your tactics! :D

i was just looking through my screen's from the early days i was playing inter in the euro super cup (me as liverpool) i go 1-0 up with torres on 35 then 2-0 with el niño again on 55. then within the space of 5 minutes gareth barry gets himself sent off and david villa scores a brace for inter to level the scoring.then the match comes to a close almost and who jumps in at 90 minutes to give liverpool toe victory at 3-2? robbie fowler who everyone said was not worth buying (couldnt resist not picking him up).

~~Stevie G~~

Bit of unrealism? No.

Bit of unlikeliness? Yes.

Personally I think there's a problem with penalties, you either seem to get loads scored or loads saved. But that's based entirely on the small handful of penalty shootouts I've been involved in - SI have the stats from all penalty shootouts played in game so are much better placed to tell whether they're balanced or not.

Doesn't this seem just like a I can't win rant?

Penalty you can only go three ways: left. Right and centre that's a 33.3% of getting it right. People win the lottery with 0.0008% or. Something like that. Anyone. Can score. A. Penalty. Why. Is there. Astat for it?

You can actually shoot:

1. Bottom left

2. Left

3. Top corner left

4. Middle(on floor)

5. Middle(in the air)

6. Top right

7. Right

8. Bottom right

So there are endless places and you could be more pedantic(if desired) and go for inbetween those direction lol.

This is the reason that when a keeper does save it he is hailed because the odds are heavily stacked against him.

You can actually shoot:

1. Bottom left

2. Left

3. Top corner left

4. Middle(on floor)

5. Middle(in the air)

6. Top right

7. Right

8. Bottom right

So there are endless places and you could be more pedantic(if desired) and go for inbetween those direction lol.

This is the reason that when a keeper does save it he is hailed because the odds are heavily stacked against him.

I was talking about the general direction of the ball I could have gone into that but I. Couldn't be. Bothered to. Be honest. With you lol

Doesn't this seem just like a I can't win rant?

Penalty you can only go three ways: left. Right and centre that's a 33.3% of getting it right. People win the lottery with 0.0008% or. Something like that. Anyone. Can score. A. Penalty. Why. Is there. Astat for it?

1. As explained, there aren't only three "ways". Even if you look at it that simplified way, there's "miss".
  2. It isn't 1/3. The goalkeeper can't cover two options. It's 2/3.
  3. The goalkeeper isn't guaranteed to save it
  4. Not anyone can score a penalty.
  5. Did you see Sunderland's two penalties yesterday? One was unstoppable, the other way weak and it was luck the goalkeeper dived the other way. So it's a skill, and there should be an attribute for it.

Archived