What does "direct" passing exactly mean?

Does that mean he's going to try to put the player through on goal?

ie. should players with high passing/creativity only play direct?

Does that mean he's going to play long passes that will favour bigger players?

ie. should you avoid playing (for example if I have beckham in central midfield and Owen up front) 'direct' to smaller strikers?

Does "direct" (from midfield) mean high/long passes is basically what i'm asking?

In terms of RL a direct game is between a short passing & long ball game, similar to what Chelsea often play - ie getting the ball forward early but aiming to pick out a striker who can hold up the ball.

In terms of FM the passing slider refers to the range so the higher you have the slider the wider the passing range of the player. For someone like Beckham I would select a more direct range allowing him to use his passing ability to a fuller extent. If you restrict him to short passing you may stop him playing longer diagonal balls over the top to wingers/strikers.

The direct pass is the most commonly used in soccer. It involves passing the ball straight to a teammate and it's usually used in your own defensive third, or for building the play on the sides. Direct passes are predictable, but they're also played safely so that they insure a good possession. Ideally, a player will always have at least 2 or 3 direct passing opportunities, so he can develop the play further and not have to resort to a dribble.

If you think about it, it's quite obvious.

One side of the passing slider is 'short', and the other is 'direct'.

Direct is the opposite of short, so yes it means long passing.

:)

No..... Long means long passing, like a long ball old style Wimbledon/current Bolton and Stoke play.

ive always thought direct passing was aiming to get the ball to the attacks as quick as possible, using a combination of short and long passing.

Thats how i've always interpretated it. To get the ball into attack quickly, but not using the long ball game.

ive always thought direct passing was aiming to get the ball to the attacks as quick as possible, using a combination of short and long passing.

i used to think that aswell when i 1st heard about direct passing but that is not what it means

i used to think that aswell when i 1st heard about direct passing but that is not what it means

then what exactly does it mean if not that? short passing is exactly that. short. long passing is exactly that too. long. direct would be getting the ball as soon as possible to the attack. using any means of passing. and mixed is quite obvious.

Looking at your explanation could you describe what a non-direct pass is then?

Its not his explanation, he copy and pasted it from somewhere else. The punctuation gives it away :D

The direct pass is the most commonly used in soccer. It involves passing the ball straight to a teammate and it's usually used in your own defensive third, or for building the play on the sides. Direct passes are predictable, but they're also played safely so that they insure a good possession. Ideally, a player will always have at least 2 or 3 direct passing opportunities, so he can develop the play further and not have to resort to a dribble.

then what exactly does it mean if not that? short passing is exactly that. short. long passing is exactly that too. long. direct would be getting the ball as soon as possible to the attack. using any means of passing. and mixed is quite obvious.

direct is just passing to carefully possessively and does the easy passess to not make a mistake in the pitch ,doing short passess directly to you or you directly pass to the person next to you ect

example arsenal f.c does lots of direct passing they pass carefully .passes possessively and easy to not make a mistake

this is my example btw

but the example i put before was not this is what direct means but i thought that my example will not make sense or somthing so i put professsional advice and pasted it here

direct is just passing to carefully possessively and does the easy passess to not make a mistake in the pitch ,doing short passess directly to you or you directly pass to the person next to you ect

example arsenal f.c does lots of direct passing they pass carefully .passes possessively and easy to not make a mistake

this is my example but the example i put before was not

You have described short passing, short passing is possession based, direct is taking more chances, looking for the through ball more etc....

this is my example btw

but the example i put before was not this is what direct means but i thought that my example will not make sense or somthing so i put professsional advice and pasted it here

See, i'd say Arsenal play short passing with lots of movement. Direct passing would be helpful on the counter-attack. Long passing is for aiming towards a target man.

You have described short passing, short passing is possession based, direct is taking more chances, looking for the through ball more etc....

maybe direct passing is the same with short but more width and more attacking in it i think

I'm aware of what the word Direct means, what I am asking is this:

Will my direct passer try to put my players through on goal even if he's deeper,

(This can include low or diagonal passes)

Or,

Will he be more inclined to shoot high balls at him my striker?

And once again- would you use FM's interpretation of "direct" passing with a small striker but a creative midfielder playing flat MC?

They should really change direct to what it really means "Caveman Football" (copyright E.Dunphy 1990), as that is what is essentialy is. Direct means getting the ball forward as quickly as possible without the use of skill, finesse or thought. Ith doesn't matter that the ball comes back 99% of the time as it it will be hoofed back up the field again straight away. Recommende only for teams that can field Quinn and Cascarino up front or teams playing in a division too high for them with no funds to improve.

They should really change direct to what it really means "Caveman Football" (copyright E.Dunphy 1990), as that is what is essentialy is. Direct means getting the ball forward as quickly as possible without the use of skill, finesse or thought. Ith doesn't matter that the ball comes back 99% of the time as it it will be hoofed back up the field again straight away. Recommende only for teams that can field Quinn and Cascarino up front or teams playing in a division too high for them with no funds to improve.

No, that would be a long ball game as opposed to a direct style.

I'm aware of what the word Direct means, what I am asking is this:

Will my direct passer try to put my players through on goal even if he's deeper,

(This can include low or diagonal passes)

Or,

Will he be more inclined to shoot high balls at him my striker?

And once again- would you use FM's interpretation of "direct" passing with a small striker but a creative midfielder playing flat MC?

A deeper MC would need a large passing range to play through balls to the striker.

As for the type you would need to play with creativity, Try through Balls & setting your ST as a target man/Run onto ball.

No, that would be a long ball game as opposed to a direct style.

But in FM09 "long" is used to describe just the final step (farthest right) on the "passing" slider, so as I understand it, "direct" can range from a careful and well thought out game to the most awfully boring "kick and run" game.

The way I see it, direct can still be "short passing", just carried on by moving the ball forward instead of developing the conservative horizontal-short-passes-going-nowhere.

A deeper MC would need a large passing range to play through balls to the striker.

As for the type you would need to play with creativity, Try through Balls & setting your ST as a target man/Run onto ball.

I wish there was a simpler way to tell your players to play the ball to your strikers in this way without needing to make them a target man!

• 5 years later...
Direct passing Is still a tacticle option. You do realize that people do read older posts, or have you failed to comprehend that?

They really don't. The game and ME works totally different, there are no more sliders, etc. This thread isn't relevant and certainly didn't need a not-answer from you six years later.

They really don't. The game and ME works totally different, there are no more sliders, etc. This thread isn't relevant and certainly didn't need a not-answer from you six years later.

If you knew what you were talking about this might be a discussion. Unfortunately you have wool between your ears. Yes. No sliders; instead there a selections, and a selection of one negates the ability to select another. If you choose direct passing, then you lose the a ability to choose other passing options. Don't be that kid who never payed attention in class. Remember: if you remain silent, then no one will know how stupid you are. They might even think you know what's going on.

If you knew what you were talking about this might be a discussion. Unfortunately you have wool between your ears. Yes. No sliders; instead there a selections, and a selection of one negates the ability to select another. If you choose direct passing, then you lose the a ability to choose other passing options. Don't be that kid who never payed attention in class. Remember: if you remain silent, then no one will know how stupid you are. They might even think you know what's going on.

Again, you've brought up a thread thats 5 years old to make a post and sound like you know what you're talking about. Answering old outdated threads doesn't make you knowledgeable.

Especially considering that Direct Passing doesn't conflict with Pass Into Space, and in fact you can have both on at the same time. So you're bringing up a 5 year old thread to post incorrect information, and then insult other people. Good job.

Old post but I though that this needed some clearing up. Direct passing is passing "directly" to your team mate as opposed to "passing into space" to do a run on. Simple. 

Unfortunately you are not clearing it up as your answer is at least partially wrong, the only part which is right is that players aim to play to a team mate.

As I stated five years ago in post #3.

Direct passing is getting the ball forward asap into the opposition half aiming for advanced wingers & strikers before the defence has the chance to settle. If a chance isn't created from this phase the aim is then to keep possession high in the opposition half looking for a chance/shot.

Amazing that this thread goes 36 posts before a mod decides to take part and then it isn't to clear the matter up but to warn about insulting behaviour. It would appear that the FM staff aren't very clear over what constitutes "direct" as opposed to "short" passing either!!!?. In my opinion most teams in real life play "mixed" passing and those players with good passing stats can attempt direct passing over various distances ala Beckham, Gerrard etc. The players who don't have good passing stats should stick with short passes in order to lessen the risk of losing possession. That's how I play it anyway, your opinion may differ though.

Amazing that this thread goes 36 posts before a mod decides to take part and then it isn't to clear the matter up but to warn about insulting behaviour. It would appear that the FM staff aren't very clear over what constitutes "direct" as opposed to "short" passing either!!!?. In my opinion most teams in real life play "mixed" passing and those players with good passing stats can attempt direct passing over various distances ala Beckham, Gerrard etc. The players who don't have good passing stats should stick with short passes in order to lessen the risk of losing possession. That's how I play it anyway, your opinion may differ though.

Forums are for discussing things aren't they? and why do you expect me to clear it up, I don't know the definitive answer (if there is one)

You know what they say about opinions too :p

Archived