Manager Languages

So, maybe I'm just stupid, but there seems to be no way to set which languages a manager knows (other than setting second nationality).

My point is this: I create myself as a manager with American nationality (the only thing that's different is my manager's age in comparison with my own, due to the minimum age requirement- but this is no problem). Every time I do, my in-game self can speak English and Spanish. However, in reality I know very little Spanish and a more accurate assessment would be that I know English and German (basic).

Is there any way to set the languages managers know (if so, close this thread)? If there is not, why can't I manually set the languages I know to better reflect my real-life self?

I still fail to understand how much language affects team morale, I notice the language barrier comment by Assistant every now and then but there is no clear indication to me how much it affects.

Also players who come to a new country learn the language so fast that it is not realistic. Almost all the players I get become fluent in new language after 1 year which is not possible in real life. Maybe English is easy to learn since it almost international language but other languages can no be learnt in 12 months unless players make a big deal out of it(mostly they dont)

I wouldn't agree that no language other than English could be picked up in 12 months. A mate of mine went to Germany to work for a year and was fluent in German when he came back. Also they mainly spoke English in the job too so he really picked up the language in less than 12 months really considering time not speaking German in work (5 days a week, 8 hours a day or there abouts).

Let's keep in mind that a football player doesn't need an in-depth knowledge of a foreign language anyway...

The basics of the everyday locker room life, the technical terms to understand the manager's directions and like 10 preset sentences for interviews...

I think it's fair enough to consider them "fluent" in one year or so, at least from a football standpoint.

That despite most players being far from bright or highly educated...

But back to the original point, yes I do want to be able to select which languages I can speak... it would be a plus for my "career" ;)

It irritates me too. I give my nationality as Cambodian and always have Khmer and French as my languages. In reality only a few old people still speak French; everyone who learns a second language chooses English.

We should be able to choose our languages - I hope it is a little addition to FM10.

In fact in the latest incarnation of FMRTE released in the last week this function has been added (bit buggy though).

The issue I personally have is not with learning languages in a country, because regardless of what country I am managing in the fact remains that a more realistic game version of myself as a manager would know English and German (basic)- not English and fluent Spanish.

It would be unrealistic to set as many languages as the player pleases for their manager, but I don't see why players can't set one or two other languages than their native language.

I wouldn't agree that no language other than English could be picked up in 12 months. A mate of mine went to Germany to work for a year and was fluent in German when he came back. Also they mainly spoke English in the job too so he really picked up the language in less than 12 months really considering time not speaking German in work (5 days a week, 8 hours a day or there abouts).

Really? :o

German is a good bit more on the difficult scale. With, I guess, Spanish being the easiest. At least FM thought so last I checked some years ago. Should still be able to see/change languages and their individual difficulties in the editor.

Because I have nothing better to do:

English - difficulty 5

German - 10

Spanish - 4

Arabic - 18

Khmer - 0 (think that means you can't learn it? .. or that it's super-easy)

French - 7

Portuguese - 6

It irritates me too. I give my nationality as Cambodian and always have Khmer and French as my languages. In reality only a few old people still speak French; everyone who learns a second language chooses English.

We should be able to choose our languages - I hope it is a little addition to FM10.

In fact in the latest incarnation of FMRTE released in the last week this function has been added (bit buggy though).

In FM 9.0.3 (data editor.exe -> Nations -> Cambodia -> Languages), Cambodia has Khmer at 100% and French at 20% behind English at 30%. You're sure free to edit your DB before starting a new game anyway.

I still fail to understand how much language affects team morale, I notice the language barrier comment by Assistant every now and then but there is no clear indication to me how much it affects.

Also players who come to a new country learn the language so fast that it is not realistic. Almost all the players I get become fluent in new language after 1 year which is not possible in real life. Maybe English is easy to learn since it almost international language but other languages can no be learnt in 12 months unless players make a big deal out of it(mostly they dont)

well according to studies english is the most difficult language to learn.

well according to studies english is the most difficult language to learn.

To be honest, this is the first time I hear that...

Grammatically speaking, English is rather straightforward as it has a very simplified verbal system and no noun inflection.

The one (and only?) mountain to climb in English is the "randomness" of its phonology, as the same letter/group of letters have a different pronounciation.

But as far as verb and noun inflections go, it's nowhere nearly as difficult as any romance language or German (or any other inflective language).

Then again, the idea of "easy" is relative... Probably a Frenchman will find learning Italian much easier than an Englishman or a German would, as the two languages are related and do share some lexical and grammatical similarities.

The closer to your native language a foreing language is, the easier it is to learn... And let's not forget how the "presence" of a language in everyday's life can affect the learning process.

English is by far the most common foreign language you can hear/read, so the basics of basic/broken English.are known (even without being aware of that) to a lot of people. And that will help them, should they decide to actually learn English.

I'll stop here, before the linguist in me gets carried away ;)

To be honest, this is the first time I hear that...

Grammatically speaking, English is rather straightforward as it has a very simplified verbal system and no noun inflection.

The one (and only?) mountain to climb in English is the "randomness" of its phonology, as the same letter/group of letters have a different pronounciation.

But as far as verb and noun inflections go, it's nowhere nearly as difficult as any romance language or German (or any other inflective language).

Then again, the idea of "easy" is relative... Probably a Frenchman will find learning Italian much easier than an Englishman or a German would, as the two languages are related and do share some lexical and grammatical similarities.

The closer to your native language a foreing language is, the easier it is to learn... And let's not forget how the "presence" of a language in everyday's life can affect the learning process.

English is by far the most common foreign language you can hear/read, so the basics of basic/broken English.are known (even without being aware of that) to a lot of people. And that will help them, should they decide to actually learn English.

I'll stop here, before the linguist in me gets carried away ;)

Well honestly i don't know how accurate the this research was but grammatically speaking English has a lot of basic rules that concern spelling and pronounciation of words yet there are just as many exceptions to such grammatical rules in english as there are words that follow these rules.

Archived