Where is the spark?

I am a bit dissapointed with the FM10 announcement. All the features seem to be things that SI knew everyone wanted for at least five years now, and have already appeared in other games. The 'light/dark skin' is good, but anyone who's bothered just get them off the internet anyway, and this could surely have been in 09 what with the reaction to 08. The tactics system is nice, but everyone knew it would be in after FML served as its 'guinea pig', so to speak. The match analysis is just a blatent rip-off off CM. After the exitement over FM09, this does not seem even half as much as an improvement. You're telling me it will take 9 months to put in a system thats already implemented, a skin and a feature you can copy from another game. The exuse is the re-organisation of the company, but it is not that time consuming, should never have got into the horrid situation you have it in, and should not come at the expense of game quality. With the problems so obvious, it should have been done in the gap between 09 patchs.

Anyone with me on this?

1. personally I dont think you know what you just babbled there, do you even know?

2. your over reacting a bit are you not? getting a red card for your last two post?

3. Its no like there will only be one or two features in the new game, god the game as only just been announced.

Be aware that the features announced aren't the only new features. Keep an eye on the upcoming blogs to see more about new features. The two skins, I think are a result of listening to the fans. They obviously realise that it was a mistake to only have the white version and have changed it because of that.

I think it's unfair to say that the Match analysis is a rip-off from CM. It's something that should have been in the game several versions ago, I'm glad it's finally made it in properly. Also, let's not forget that we had some sort of feedback in the last version of the game.

As said above, SI can't really win. Some posts have been asking for loads of new features and some have been asking for a much more polished version of FM09.

NMAC 1994. is 1994 your date of birth??? if so i think u might have been in ur nappys when the original champ man games came out, and it sounds like u still wear them. so have abit more respect for the lads who have been making the best footy sim games since before u could walk.

if u read the annoucments page ud have noticed that they will make more announcments about new features in the future. they have claimed that they will be making the match day game better with crowds and better stadiums and more animations. that alone is good enough for me since i really like fm 09.

if i get an infaction for this, then i did it for the cause and go down with my head held high!!! YARRGHHH!!

• SI Staff
All the features seem to be things that SI knew everyone wanted for at least five years now, and have already appeared in other games

Apologies for listening to our fans and giving them some of the things they want in the game ;)

The 'light/dark skin' is good, but anyone who's bothered just get them off the internet anyway, and this could surely have been in 09 what with the reaction to 08

It's not just a skin. If you look past the appearance you will find a lot of improvements and additions to the user interface. You'll find out more in due course but won't be able to appreciate it until you get to try it out. If it could have been in 09 then it would have been.

The tactics system is nice, but everyone knew it would be in after FML served as its 'guinea pig', so to speak

Just because it was in FML doesn't automatically mean it was going to be in FM. It is good to be able to take the good things from our other games though and we will continue to share ideas between the teams to benefit all of our games.

The match analysis is just a blatent rip-off off CM

Hardly. It started off as an idea for a "shot chart" that we've wanted to put in FM ever since Riz added it to EHM.

You're telling me it will take 9 months to put in a system thats already implemented, a skin and a feature you can copy from another game

If only it was that simple. It's not a matter of just lifting it from another game and it's done. And the skin / UI unfortunately doesn't create itself.

The exuse is the re-organisation of the company, but it is not that time consuming, should never have got into the horrid situation you have it in, and should not come at the expense of game quality. With the problems so obvious, it should have been done in the gap between 09 patchs

You are right that things should never have got that way but with any re-organisation it will take time and have some teething problems before things settle down. And between patches we were busy working on them. ;)

Anyone with me on this?

Not me I'm afraid!

1) I know, but why were they not in earlier games?

2) Why could it not have been in 09?

3) OKay, but it means it needed little extra work from the FM team.

4) Fair enough, it just looks that way from the outside, what with the CM success of ProZone.

5) I know it doesn't do itself, but I also know it takes untrained indivituals a few weeks of spare time.

6) Fine, it is inevitable now, but if most (smaller) companys did this, they would lose sales and go bust.

4) Fair enough, it just looks that way from the outside, what with the CM success of ProZone.

5) I know it doesn't do itself, but I also know it takes untrained indivituals a few weeks of spare time.

6) Fine, it is inevitable now, but if most (smaller) companys did this, they would lose sales and go bust.

They can only work on so many new features for each release. Any good ideas get added to a list and will make their way into the game in time.

Remember that the football management genre has perhaps the shortest turnaround in development time out of any. They release a game every 12 months when other games are in development for years before release. Consider this and you will release just how much effort goes into the 100 plus new features in each new FM release every year.

• SI Staff

1) Because other stuff was in earlier games. The competition editor is something we've been working on for around 2 / 3 years IIRC

2) There was a lot of UI work needed in other areas such as the 3D match widgets off the top of my head

3) I'm sure the people who worked on it will be able to tell you it was much more than a little extra work

4) A lot of assumptions can be made from the outside and nearly always they are wrong or way wide of the mark

5) I've also said it's more than just a graphical change and months of work has gone into it. It's not something we knocked up when eating our dinner ;)

6) I'm sure even the biggest companies have had transitional phases when expanding.

• SI Staff
Yeah, the is a difference between transitional phrases and worse management than (insert random word here) Fried Chicken.

You're trying to make a big deal out of nothing. For what reason I do not know.

Interesting how someone can judge the game before it is even released. You haven't even played ONE MINUTE of FM10, yet you hilariously claim that it isn't good enough, and SI have failed. I'm confused :confused:

Just wait 'til you see the streakers! :D

I really don't get what people like the original poster are moaning about?!

All you've seen so far is 20 or so screenshots! Wait, play the demo, then if you don't like it don't buy it!

But I would imagine that even then, you will buy it, because the SI series have always been and probably will always be the best football management games out there!

I have to say I completely disagree with the people who think a "fixed" version of FM09 would be an acceptable release for FM10.

I have no problem with SI polishing out all the little bugs and bits that weren't quite right for FM09, but you can't release that as a new game. It's like a car manufacturer releasing a car that doesn't work properly, and then fixing it up so it does work, and then expecting the customers to buy the car afresh. You've got to have the new features and improvements (N.B. improvements does not equal fixes) in order to justify the new game.

Having said all that

I think the match analysis tool looks absolutely fantastic and to me would make the new game totally worth buying, and if coupled with improvements to the press interaction I'd be totally happy. As it is we're getting (amongst other things) the tactics wizard and pitchside shouts as well, so I can safely say I'm really looking forward to FM10 :)

I've been eagerly anticipating the announcement of the new features, and I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by them, yeah I wouldnt disagree with any of the enhancements but for me so far there's no stand out feature that makes me thing wow!

For me I would have loved Agents to be revamped and given a much larger role in things, Ass Man improved as well as Training, pre-season friendly/competitions improved, set-piece training implemented, the negotations process in the transfer module given an improvement as well.

• SI Staff

Regarding the graphical match analysis, I need to thank Ter for getting in there before I even got a chance to put my two cents in...

Hardly. It started off as an idea for a "shot chart" that we've wanted to put in FM ever since Riz added it to EHM.

I'm not sure if EHM had shot charts before CM had it's ProZone tools but even if they had their feature in place before we worked on shot charts in EHM, it would still be no "blantant rip-off". I find it quite harsh for someone to say that, especially since the FM match analysis feature is a direct successor (albeit a greatly expanded successor) to the similar but more simple feature we already had back in EHM. Sometimes it just takes time to bring new ideas and features from our other games into FM, especially if you want to expand on them as well at the same time.

Peace :)

I started the game from since it was called CM and I was always satisfied by the newer release of the game.

fm07 was an improvement to fm06. and so was fm 08 to fm07.. and so on. I'm expecting fm10 to be the best of the series. of course, there always are some issues that need to be fixed. you don't expect a game to be like the real life. if you go back the previous releases and compare them you would see that there were enough new features in the newer versions.

Archived