35+ players still very good

Ive got a save that is in the year 2016 and ive noticed that alot of the big name players keep playing on regulary past the age of 35. Ive seen a lot of 37 year olds still playing at a high level and still playing internationally. Its ok if they are keepers but on this save i see the likes of lampard terry and torres still going. It seems that there ability has not declined by much. Has anybody else seen this and what are your thoughts? I dont think this is very realistic

im happy im not the only person to find it weird, because in my save gerrard from liverpool has 35 years, still plays regurarly and is called to england and is still one of the best midfielders of the game, and i think that in real life when gerrard will be 35 he is almost certain not to play at a regular level for what club he may represent.

it's not an issue on players staying too good for too long as I think SI have finally got it right.

It's more of an issue with most top class players being given very high professionalism and ambition by club researchers allowing the players to remain at their peak by longer than is realistic.

For example Gerrard has 20 ambition, 20 determination and 16 professionalism, this is why he remains so good for so long

Lampard has 17 ambition, 18 determination and 15 professionalism, he also has 20 in natural fitness :confused: , thats why he lasts so long also.

Researchers just need to be more realistic with player personalities and attributes.

why would high ambition and determination dictate how long they stay good for? grrard is extremeley determined so a 20 is a valid rating.

unless your saying that the stats are wrongly assigned in this manner but i dont see how it would be.

previously old players were degrading too quickly so, from an initial glance, it may be the case that its gone too far the other way.

it could be a number of things though. perhaps a players physical stats dont drop enough and so they can still do heavy trainig in their later years. which would probably keep the stats high.

it could be that their reputation is linked too much to how good the player is. i believe that the better a player, the higher their reputation and the worse a player the lower their rep. which isn't necessarily the case.

you can have players getting on a bit, loosing their ability but their reputation is still high in real life..

Tell me about it!

I took over England with Lampard(35), Gerrard(33), Hargreaves(32), Barry(32) the first choice midfield!

With Ferdinand (35) and Terry (33) still first choice centrehalfs!

Ridiculous to think that in 5 years time the SAME starting 11 will be playing :D

It's also screwed Chelsea and Man Utd over in the game. They don't plan for the future and adopt a youth transfer policy and instead rely on ageing players at £90,000 per week bleeding them dry until they retire. Which is why Chelsea and United fade away by 2014 and Arsenal take over.

But that's been covered in many threads :D

Players not retiring through injury or being forced to play at a lower level because of injury has a lot to do with it. Players always recover fully from injuries in this game, unlike reality, where players get forced out the game through a career ending injury or get severely degraded through many smaller injuries accumulated over the years.

2016 Frank Lampard was sold for 400k to Barcelona. Stats were brilliant apart from his pace was around 10!

Was on 120k at Chelsea, then at Barca was on 80k. he went to Man City the following season and on 80k

What a joke!lol

Lampard has 17 ambition, 18 determination and 15 professionalism, he also has 20 in natural fitness :confused: , thats why he lasts so long also.

Didn't Lampard set some record for most consecutive matches played by an outfield player or something?

He has a very high level of fitness despite all the rumours he eats lots of pies.

Moving on from the lampard bashing:

I think the issue is not that players are playing too long - just that the AI simply can't manage a squad, hence it makes no effort whatsoever to have youth in place to step in when a player leaves.

This leads to the AI overbuying in some areas and leaving others stupidly undermanned. For example: Liverpool well into my last game had a front 2 of torres and huntelaar - the problem? - the yougest was 39. They were simply woeful and in no way able to compete at prem level. What happened in the summer? They spent £32m on a right back, when they already had the first choice rightback for england.

Thinking torres and hunt had odd CAs i added a manager as liverpool to see what the assman thought: He showed the original RB as having 4 stars, and torres and hunt having 2 and 1 stars respectively, he stated that the attack desperately needed improving - why if the AI can figure this out does it not act on it???

Same problem can be extended to almost every team - interestingly only man city have remained competative by 2030 - almost purley because they sign huge amounts of players and inevitably some are youngish.

The AIs transfer targets must be looked at for FM10 - too often they neglect obvious weaknesses and sign players who are already surpluss before they've kicked a ball.

NB: whilst i said that the issue wasn't player playing too long i do feel there are a few too many 39+ players at the highest level - perhaps ramping up CA decrease post 36 would cure this problem?

Moving on from the lampard bashing:

I think the issue is not that players are playing too long - just that the AI simply can't manage a squad, hence it makes no effort whatsoever to have youth in place to step in when a player leaves.

This leads to the AI overbuying in some areas and leaving others stupidly undermanned. For example: Liverpool well into my last game had a front 2 of torres and huntelaar - the problem? - the yougest was 39. They were simply woeful and in no way able to compete at prem level. What happened in the summer? They spent £32m on a right back, when they already had the first choice rightback for england.

Thinking torres and hunt had odd CAs i added a manager as liverpool to see what the assman thought: He showed the original RB as having 4 stars, and torres and hunt having 2 and 1 stars respectively, he stated that the attack desperately needed improving - why if the AI can figure this out does it not act on it???

Same problem can be extended to almost every team - interestingly only man city have remained competative by 2030 - almost purley because they sign huge amounts of players and inevitably some are youngish.

The AIs transfer targets must be looked at for FM10 - too often they neglect obvious weaknesses and sign players who are already surpluss before they've kicked a ball.

Agree with that, AI squad building is horrible and therefore players with decent potential aren't reaching it. The only young players in national teams on my save are my players!

Previous versions of the game have resulted in players degrading far to fast as soon as they hit 30. SI have tried to adress this from fm09 but seem to have the balance to far the other way unfortunatley. Until 2018 Gerrard and Torres were still first choices for my Liverpool squad however after 2019 when Gerrard hit 39 iirc I decided it was time to move on.

Hopefully this will go back the other way slightly for fm10 but not too much as in fm08.

Its all good fun!

Archived