How do you choose your captain?

well i had my best player at the club as captain, but just before the transfer window has closed my chairman has gone behind my back and accepted a 20m bid for him and surprise surprise he has now gone :(:thdn:

so now i have to choose a new captain, my ass man has suggested that i select my second choice striker ( i use a 4-5-1 formation) but first off all i dont like have strikers as captains ans second is he doesnt play every game.

so the question is, how do you choose your captain ??

Guest josh9393

These are my conditions:

1) Loyalty to club (ie. how long he has been there)

2) Influence

3) First Team Status (has to be a regular)

4) Reputation/International status

I usually find that my captains are defenders, as for some reason they seem to have the right qualities, as stated above.

Good luck.

I pick the guy with the best influence who is likely to play most games and speaks the language/been at the club for a season. If they're new arrivals they will probably only make vice-captain the first season.

I often end up with a CB as my captain as:

a) They often have the right attributes (mental)

b) I rarely mess around with my back line, my pairings will almost always be conistent

c) My CBs are usually the most experiences members, and I often stick with the same few for between 5-10 years

d) They get inured very rarely it seems

Strong mental attributes, especially Influence, Determination, Teamwork, Work Rate.

Someone who is a first team regular.

I keep an eye out for if he's one of the clubs favorite players, or is favoured by other players.

Someone I'm sure I'll be able to keep! ;)

Folks,

Something I have never been too sure about; does language contribute anything?

Having a squad where 10 players are English and one is Italian, and the Italian doesn't speak English but has the highest influence and therefore chosen to be captain may seem like a silly idea in reality. But does it play a role in-game?

I check Wikipedia. :D:thup:

Folks,

Something I have never been too sure about; does language contribute anything?

Having a squad where 10 players are English and one is Italian, and the Italian doesn't speak English but has the highest influence and therefore chosen to be captain may seem like a silly idea in reality. But does it play a role in-game?

I think it does to a certain extent, but not very much. Football is pretty much a universal language.

In the first team whenever avaliable

Someone with the right personality (e.g. professional, balanced)

Over 26

High influence, teamwork

Native to country of club, or at very least can speak the language fluently

I generally just go with the assistants recommendation and stick with it until the players leave/retire which does mean that often for the last couple of years of their career the captain is no longer a regular, and the vice captain is usually de facto captain, and generally gets promoted on the retirement of his predecessor

I always make sure I have my captain on the pitch, unless it's unavoidable. My former captain fell out of favour and his long term vice-captain, my goalkeeper for 9 odd years (5 at the time) replaced him permanently. It worked out well as he more or less became the captain is currently on a 550+ run of matches straight for the club.

I normally make a shortlist from who has the highest influence, determination and such. Then eliminate anyone who hasn't been at the club for 3+ years. From there I eliminate those who don't speak the language of the country (more than just basic too). From there I eliminate everyone who isn't a key player in the side (basically playing most matches). From there I then decide who I think seems the best of those players, who I'd want as a captain.

All of those are qualities/factors I use as well, but I don't think anyone has mentioned what I think is one of the most important criterion of being listed in the "Good Relationships" section of the personal screen of several key players in my team. For example "Is pleased to be playing along Player X," or "Thinks Player Y is a talented player."

I find that this yields the most positive PR responses/morale boosts, and chances are that this player is already a regular in your side, so they usually make a great choice for the captaincy.

Archived