managerial roles in fm 2010

i was just wondering what people thought of this idea i had the other day. i thought it would be a good idea to be able to manage a youth team or reserve team and work your way up through a club or help a team unearth some young talent a bit like what you can do for international at the moment and a bit similar to what you can do with spanish clubs with there b teams.

But your still managing...

I like the idea, U18 manager would be good, or managing a sides reserve team.

If the manager of the senior side recieves the sack, you could be put in as a caretaker, impress and maybe get a job that way.

Or be a reserve team manager somewhere and maybe apply for full jobs a few leagues down.

I really like the idea, but I can understand the posts against it.

You wouldn't have any involvement in transfers or media interaction. Any player who does well for you will be yanked out and put in the first team squad. The manager would impose dropped first teamers and force you to disrupt your plans to give them a run-out. Like managing an international team alone in FM, I'd imagine it would get dead boring.

I like the sound of this idea, especially taking up the role as a caretaker manager and getting abit of time to impress like Ricky Sbragia done at Sunderland.However, it could take a long, long time to impress and get your reputation up to even get a first team job somewhere.

I think you'll get alot of mixed views on this idea. I like it though :thup:

u would have involvement in transfers at youth level it would be the same as managing a 1st team appart from the age restriction. and it will b good if u can offer youth scholarships and have a under 16 team aswell

Eh? :confused: The youth team coach doesn't buy youth players - that's still the job of the manager. SI doesn't allow U16 players in England or other countries with child labour laws. He would also, as I wrote, impose and take players from your squad. It wouldn't be much like managing a 1st team at all.

You wouldn't have any involvement in transfers or media interaction. Any player who does well for you will be yanked out and put in the first team squad. The manager would impose dropped first teamers and force you to disrupt your plans to give them a run-out. Like managing an international team alone in FM, I'd imagine it would get dead boring.

And the advantage to this is that the player can get used to implementing tactics and playing matches without the pressure of having to win them. Having players being promoted to first team duties is no different than coping with injuries. If you consider it as a form of 'Training Level', then there is some merit to the idea. More merit to being a Youth Team manager as that would include the basics of scouting, and account for those leagues without a reserve system. I don't think it would generate much reputation and nor should it.

I like the idea. Maybe as U18 manager, you could have say in 14-15 year olds the club brings in. Or have some say in the U18 players that get full-time deals. Also recommending players for reserve/first team action?

I reckon it would be good only as an U18 coach, as I have taken control of my U18 side and enjoyed it but doing both U18 and First team isn't fun. The only players you could sign would be players from the academy or trials that you go watch, but then SI would need to implement new things just to make it actually fun to do full time.

I agree working your way up to that position of Manager of the club would be cool as you would know the youth a lot better.

The people in charge of reserve or youth sides are coaches rather than managers. I could be wrong, but wouldn't it basically just be the game we have now but with transfers and everything else taken out?

You couldn't get involved with what 14-15yr olds the club brings in as SI don't allow any under 16's due to the law. Your tactics could be imposed on you by the first team manager as he may want you to play the same system and tactics that he uses in the 1st team. In effect you could end up just picking the 11 players on the pitch and the subs ansd that's pretty much it. Having sai all that, I can understand why some may find it appealing but not for me.

i would like it if in past experience you could select youth coach/ coach/ assistant manager.

apart than that i dont think playing as the reserve manager would be any fun. rememeber that a reserve manager doesnt pick the team the manager ussualy does and the tactics .

Sounds very boring and fairly pointless to me. For starters you wouldn't really have any control over the players you have, the manager would make all the decisions. This ranks with those 'I want to be an assistant' ideas for me. You could add it in without too much difficulty I suppose but I'd rather they fixed all the bugs first.

• SI Staff

I think it would be quite interesting to manage the reserves or youths. It could be a true starting point for those who want to start off at the bottom.

Like someone else has said there would be the obvious issue of recruiting players as at the moment in the game the first team manager handles all of this.

Could add some added longevity to a career game, apart from that its not for me. I like to manage, as the title suggests, its Football Manager.
I agree with simon. It's not Football Coach, Football Boot Cleaner or Football Chairman.

I don't know why people use the name of the game as a reason to prevent features being put in. We shouldn't be able to make transfer bids because its not called Director of Football Manager. We shouldn't be able to arrange contracts because it not called Finance Manager. We shouldn't be able to arrange training because its not called Football Coach etc. Doesn't make sense to me.

Managing a reserve/U18 team is still being a Football Manager, just with a few restrictions. I don't see why it couldn't be added as an option because, well err, the game is not called 'First Team Football Manager'!

Archived