Military service

Same situation in Turkey in fact if you look at Emre Belozoglu's (former Newcastle player now Fenerbahce player) profile at the beginning of the game you'll see that he is serving in the military...

Yep, footballers usually get it reduced from the full amount of time. I think Emre only had to weeks rather than years.

Im guessing the same will be in Israel as they have forced service from 18 to I think 21.
IIRC Tal Ben Haim avoided his national service but there could be complications if he returned to the Israeli league.

The Israeli parliament did change the law specially for Ben Sahar (Chelsea chap on loan at De Graafschp).

When he is in Israel he must do some community service like giving clinics, but he doesn't have to fulfill the 3 years of service.

The Israeli parliament did change the law specially for Ben Sahar (Chelsea chap on loan at De Graafschp).

When he is in Israel he must do some community service like giving clinics, but he doesn't have to fulfill the 3 years of service.

Argh, you beat me to it! :D

They tried

(From Wikipedia)

As an Israeli citizen, Ben Sahar was due to return back to Israel for a three-year spell of national service. However, Israeli law makers were working on a legislation (nicknamed "The Ben Sahar Law") that would have allowed Sahar to complete a civil service term in Britain instead. The law did not pass and as a result, Sahar was drafted into the IDF. Under the terms of his military service, he will go to his base every time he is on vacation in Israe

Do some countries excuse footballers from national service though? I'm not sure.

Singapore doesn't.

Though if you are a footballer drafted into National Service, you may get to play for the army team (SAFFC), or Home United if you get into the Police.

Still have to do the military work though.

They tried

(From Wikipedia)

As an Israeli citizen, Ben Sahar was due to return back to Israel for a three-year spell of national service. However, Israeli law makers were working on a legislation (nicknamed "The Ben Sahar Law") that would have allowed Sahar to complete a civil service term in Britain instead. The law did not pass and as a result, Sahar was drafted into the IDF. Under the terms of his military service, he will go to his base every time he is on vacation in Israe

ahh, then our national TV station in Holland made the mistake (that is were I heard it), since he came to play for the De Graafschap.

Learned another thing again.

didnt shefki kuqi have to some military work while he was at ipswich????

Yes, in Finland there's a special program designed for professional athletes aimed to help them to serve mighty Finland without too much hassle. :rolleyes:

Archived