GK handles ball outside box = red. Bug? (9.2)

Not sure if it's a bug, so I thought I'd post it here first.

So I'm near the end of my game (getting pounded 3-0.... yay), when the other team's goaltender rushes to the ball, but makes the catch outside of the box. The referee calls the foul and gives him a straight red card.

Now this isn't something that happens too often IRL, but as I remember the few times that it happened usually led to a foul without giving out a card. But maybe I'm remembering wrong? Could it be a bug?

i think its discretionary...he could get a yellow or just a foul called but the ref can easily give a red since the keeper should know better and is intentionally handling the ball in the restricted area, kind of like how when a player obviously handles the ball he is usually given a yellow card

It wasn't though, none of my forwards were close enough to the ball to make it a scoring chance. Obviously the GK being a doofus.

Doesn't matter, it is a straight red for the GK and yeah he must be a doofus.

Incorrect all of you.

Intentional handball is a yellow card.

Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is a red card. So, if a GK hand balls and prevents a goal scoring opportunity it's a straight red. If he doesn't, i.e it's a silly hand ball, no forward around him etc then it's simply a yellow or nothing.

Example of a non-red card handball: keeper is holding the ball, runs out and kicks it, but actually steps outside the box (keepers do this a lot but they are rarely given free kicks). This is simply a free kick and would unlikely be a yellow.

It comes down to the ref really and how he interprets it. Much like a last man tackle, sometimes they are given as reds other times not.

This happened to my GK as well. Playing in the Blue Square Premier.

A long ball forward, (it was so long that no attackers were even on the screen when the ball reached him). He ran out to the right of the penalty area and caught the ball level with the front of the 6 yard box (so definitely not a goalscoring opportunity, even if an attacker had been anywhere near). He also appeared to be in the box at the time but got a straight red.

I was almost annoyed!

In the press conference afterwards I let the ref have it (and even filled in the free text box just as a cathartic exercise - made me feel better at the time)

Strangely the FA stayed silent and the news said that the replays showed I was right. Which means he WAS inside the box when he picked the ball up.

Now a lot of people would run to the bugs forum and start ranting about patch 9.0.2 ruining my game, but I've seen worse decisions in real life in the Blue Square, so it's an astute piece of programming really.

But the question is- was FM smart enough to give an indirect freekick? ...or did it just give a direct one?

To be honest I was too annoyed with the ref to actually notice. They did pass before shooting (and scoring - I didn't have a resever goalkeeper on the bench due to injuries), but the position of the free kick was a bit of a tight angle for a direct shot anyway.

Adding insult to injury, I lost 1:0 as well :(

This happened in one of my FM matches a few weeks ago. My keeper collected the ball at the edge of his area, and I thought he was inside the box, but Roboref didn't think so and gave him a yellow card. The CPU restarted quickly with the free kick before my keeper was back in the goal, and had a wide open net to shoot into.

In a real-life I played as a kid, I was GK and stepped outside the box accidentally while punting the ball back upfield. Free kick to the opposition, but no card for me. Unfortunately, they scored on the free kick, and we lost 1-0. :mad:

After that, I always took two steps backwards before stepping forward to punt.

2-0 up v West Ham, half time approaching - Almunia red card for seemingly just wandering outside the box with the ball - no pressure or anything. No reserve keeper on the bench as all injured. Zapata in goal as the best of a bad bunch. lost 7-4 - one of two defeats that season. Bugger bugger bugger...

I had a match against Man City, the Man City goalkeeper got a yellow card for handball outside the area, even though my player was right next to him, and he basically jumped onto the on the ball, I saw the ref talking to the goalkeeper, basically chant off, off, off. I was very surprised it was only a yellow. I won the match 3 - 0 anyway, so it didn't matter, I would have liked the keeper to get a red card. I rarely see goalkeepers get red cards, despite if you look at goalkeepers statistics for the season, many have a red card.

• 3 weeks later...

I've experienced this twice within a few weeks. The first was in the England Trialist game where the keeper slid to pick up the ball inside the box. He continued to slide outside the area, a freekick was given and he was yellow carded.

The second happened in my last match where a 50:50 ball over the top between the keeper and my FC was picked up by the keeper just outside the area. If he hadn't my FC would have been through. Ref gave a straight red.

Well done SI for including this

Yeah, its the rule for goalkeepers. Any Keeper that handles outside the area gets a straight red card. Whether its denying a goal, falling out the area, getting drunk and forgetting where the area is.... (and i think Lehman has done all three) for a keeper, its a straight red.

Even if its totally accidental. Assuming someone spots it.

Incorrect all of you.

Intentional handball is a yellow card.

Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is a red card. So, if a GK hand balls and prevents a goal scoring opportunity it's a straight red. If he doesn't, i.e it's a silly hand ball, no forward around him etc then it's simply a yellow or nothing.

Example of a non-red card handball: keeper is holding the ball, runs out and kicks it, but actually steps outside the box (keepers do this a lot but they are rarely given free kicks). This is simply a free kick and would unlikely be a yellow.

It comes down to the ref really and how he interprets it. Much like a last man tackle, sometimes they are given as reds other times not.

Hmmm I remember once in in a Scottish Cup Semi Final (this is in real life by the way) our goal keeper did exactly what you just explained and the pundits in the studio were saying he should have been red carded

surely this is more of a bug that the keeper decided to catch the ball outside the area with a striker nowhere near him. Obviously this would never happen IRL

I seem to remember it happening to an Everton keeper not so long ago. Young lad they had signed from Stirling Albion making his debut. It may even have been last season.

Not a bug. This happened to Barnet goalkeeper Ross Flintney when they played Man Utd in the League cup in 2005. He got excited and caught the ball outside of the area in the 2nd minute, referee gave him a straight red. Ruined the poor guys dreams.

Purposeful handball is a red card, doesn't matter who it is.

Happened to Danny Vukovic here in Australia last season...

Deliberate handball is a yellow card unless it denies a goal scoring opportunity. I am a qualified referee so I know the rules. It doesnt matter if the player picks the ball up off the ground, it is still a yellow. If a keeper was to handle the ball outside the box with no forwards around it would be a yellow (no goalscoring opportunity)

Archived