Tactical Theorems and Frameworks '08

@ James8: As Cleon said, a DMC or MCd should specific mark the AMC. This may require you becoming creative with the marking in the rest of midfield, with your FCd dropping back to pick up their MCd.

I don't have problems with the lone striker, but one option, other than the one you mentioned, would be a tight/loose marking combo. That way, if he turned his first marker, he would still have to get past the deeper lying second man.

@ saab693: I'd have switched between Defend and Counter. My take on those kind of matches is to start with Defend, stick with it or 30 mins, and, if you are not behind, switch to Counter for the last 15 minutes of the first half. The opposing team seems to get frustrated by the Defend system and you often score very soon after changing.

I would then switch back to Defend until circa 15 mins into the 2nd half, on the assumption they would get a brutal half-time team talk and come out fired up. If I have frustrated them for those 15 mins, I would go back to Counter to try and grab the deciding goal. If I score I would switch immediately back to Defend. If not, I'd play Counter until they went 4-2-4, then switch to Defend.

If they scored first I would stick with Defend much longer, and try to get back in the game with roughly 20 mins left, by turning to Attack.

@ gunnerfan: I like the cut of your jib icon_smile.gif

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@ saab693: I'd have switched between Defend and Counter. My take on those kind of matches is to start with Defend, stick with it or 30 mins, and, if you are not behind, switch to Counter for the last 15 minutes of the first half. The opposing team seems to get frustrated by the Defend system and you often score very soon after changing.

I would then switch back to Defend until circa 15 mins into the 2nd half, on the assumption they would get a brutal half-time team talk and come out fired up. If I have frustrated them for those 15 mins, I would go back to Counter to try and grab the deciding goal. If I score I would switch immediately back to Defend. If not, I'd play Counter until they went 4-2-4, then switch to Defend.

If they scored first I would stick with Defend much longer, and try to get back in the game with roughly 20 mins left, by turning to Attack.

Thanks for the advice mate. I followed what you said. Frustrated them for 30 mins, then switched to counter, scoring before half time. I then went back to defend after the interval but they scored after circa 50 mins. I stuck with defend as I figured a draw wouldn't be a bad result. Alas they scored again after 55 mins. I waited til 70 mins then went to Attack but sadly couldn't equalize.

What you have done things differently?

Cheers

Originally posted by Dexter St Jock:

Poor poor Man Utd

Second time now I've managed to tactically outclass Fergie. Started with balanced and when I went 2-0 up i ticked counter attack. I managed to get 5-0 by the end of the first half and when we scored 6-0 early in the second half they went to the ultra defensive 4-5-1 so I switched to control and we absolutely smashed them icon_cool.gif

Just out of interest, are you playing a 4-4-2 proper? I ask because as wwfan has stated a few times (and I'm finding to my annoyance) the 442 seems very difficult to do well!

Either way, well done on stuffing Manure, as a Wanderers fan, I've always got a lot of time for that! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by saab693:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">@ saab693: I'd have switched between Defend and Counter. My take on those kind of matches is to start with Defend, stick with it or 30 mins, and, if you are not behind, switch to Counter for the last 15 minutes of the first half. The opposing team seems to get frustrated by the Defend system and you often score very soon after changing.

Thanks for the advice mate. I followed what you said. Frustrated them for 30 mins, then switched to counter, scoring before half time. I then went back to defend after the interval but they scored after circa 50 mins. I stuck with defend as I figured a draw wouldn't be a bad result. Alas they scored again after 55 mins. I waited til 70 mins then went to Attack but sadly couldn't equalize.

What you have done things differently?

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without seeing a minute by minute run down of the match stats screen or the 2d representation, I can't say. Roughly, you did what I would have done, but the match stats or the 2d might have pushed me in another direction. In a recent game, I could see form the of that Counter wasn't working as the opposition midfield was sitting deep and passing the ball without being challenged by my midfield, putting me under a lot of pressure. Fortunately, they didn't score, I changed to Balanced and ran out comfortable winners. However, it was a match in which Counter should have worked based on pre-game assumptions. Only watching the actual match and the match told me otherwise. And, of course, sometimes you lose, no matter what you try and do.

@ Dexter: You seem to be getting ridiculously good at this game now icon_smile.gif

@ Law Man: The 4-4-2 is more than possible. Firstly, watch the CD of the central midfields to make sure they are combatting the opposing midfielders before they can get off free passes and adjust until you are. Secondly use Specific Marking whenever you play a non-4-4-2 formation. Both are absolutely key.

First off I would like to congratulate you on a fantastic article icon14.gif

I have read over this and many other articles in creating my own tactic which I uploaded and it seems to be doing well, I won everything in my first season with Boca have a look if your interested

I would just like to thank you and the others like Cleon et al for helping me rediscover my passion for FM and as you say there is really nothing more satisfying in the game then to see something you have created coming off with flying colours.

Keep up the good work.

wwfan, love your work. Have not tried relating this to FM08 yet in practice but I have a question.

Defending a lead 442 I or real managers (IRL), may in last 10 mins take off an SC/FC bringing on an extra DC. The fine balance of your theory in FM08 suggests this could disrupt the tactic & cause mayhem, tho in real life it parks the bus (sometimes with little success to be fair). I guess I would set up the 3rd DC as per the other 2? I wouldnt risk the auto DC settings? Should I not try this EVER?

icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by tigerhgrrrrrr:

wwfan, love your work. Have not tried relating this to FM08 yet in practice but I have a question.

Defending a lead 442 I or real managers (IRL), may in last 10 mins take off an SC/FC bringing on an extra DC. The fine balance of your theory in FM08 suggests this could disrupt the tactic & cause mayhem, tho in real life it parks the bus (sometimes with little success to be fair). I guess I would set up the 3rd DC as per the other 2? I wouldnt risk the auto DC settings? Should I not try this EVER?

icon_confused.gif

Depending on the matchups for your DCs before the substitution, and depending on what players you have available, I'd probably be more inclined to bring in a DM to act as a picket player in front of the defensive line or a sweeper to play in back of it.

BTW, played my first match using the newest version of TT&F, playing the Counter as Farsley Celtic against Kidderminster. It's late in the season (late March, to be exact), and we've hit a cold spell, with a loss and three draws in the past four matches. Two key players are injured, and this was my third match in five days (playing a saved game that I started in 8.0.0 and have patched to 8.0.2, so I guess it won't be until next season that the scheduling bug is completely worked out). So, despite being at home and ahead of Kidderminster in the table (3rd place vs. 6th place), Kidderminster were favorites.

Twice took the lead but couldn't hold it, and 2-2 was the final. Keeping it positive for now.

Originally posted by Law_Man:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dexter St Jock:

Poor poor Man Utd

Second time now I've managed to tactically outclass Fergie. Started with balanced and when I went 2-0 up i ticked counter attack. I managed to get 5-0 by the end of the first half and when we scored 6-0 early in the second half they went to the ultra defensive 4-5-1 so I switched to control and we absolutely smashed them icon_cool.gif

Just out of interest, are you playing a 4-4-2 proper? I ask because as wwfan has stated a few times (and I'm finding to my annoyance) the 442 seems very difficult to do well!

Either way, well done on stuffing Manure, as a Wanderers fan, I've always got a lot of time for that! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it's a straight 442. But I do have an excellent team on paper plus they are very well formed and "would die for each other" as the team talk feedback points out. My starting lineup is Carson; Alves, Alexis, Agger, Riise; Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Babel; Torres, Milito. I might test diffrent formations in future but for now I'm happy with the 442 icon14.gif

Well I just finished my 10/11 season winning the league and the champions league. I lost a total of three games, one which only had some intrest to me. I lost away to Man City away in the league cup 4th round but I wasn't going for the cup and fielded a team including 3 youth's and a handfull of rotation players. Second lost was away to Arsenal in the FA Cup 6th round which was a bit bitter but they were the better team and we couldn't hold off their attack after going 1-0 up only to loose 3-1 when we were chasing the game in the final ten minutes. Third loss was away to Chelsea after I'd already won the league and I was fielding rotation players.

I'll probably resign now and try my luck in another league (Have Scotland, Italy and Spain as well) to see how this tactic can fair on another team.

For the Defend framework the d-line needs to be higher than the mentality average in order to compact space. Setting the d-line to a very low mentality invites almost constant pressure and the team is likely to give up a plethora of chances in and around the six-yard box.

Hi wwfan,

When you say to set the def line "higher than the mentality" average, do you mean just the outfield players or would you include the GK as well?

Reason I ask is that in a def tactic, my GK usually has a higher mentality than most of the players.

@ lawd: Thanks. Glad you have rediscovered your passion.

@ tigerhgrrrrrr: As long as it is a predesigned tactic you loaded up when making the substitution rather than just switching the FC to the DC position (which would mean his mentality and individual instructions would be all over the shop), I wouldn't see a problem. Like gunnerfan said, I'd be more likely to bring on a DMC though. A DMC should help defensively but also in terms of possession, which isn't the case with a third DC.

@ saab693: If that is the case I would imagine your team-talk/media interaction was amiss. You should be able to get high 50s, at least for the first half.

@ gunnerfan: Hope you don't experience the continue save bug! That will make any tactical sophistication useless as the defence simply will not defend, no matter what you do. If you start seeing a lot of ridiculously high scoring games, and an inept looking defence (who keep high morale despite conceding hat-fulls), then you know you have it. Good luck.

@ Starr_Man5: This thread is not for the faint hearted. If you want to see people who work hard, access the extra links in the first three posts. TT&F is a mere bagatelle compared to that.

@ bRAzIL: I regard the keeper mentality as separate, depending on whether you want to play a sweeper or traditional type keeper. So, outfield players only.

@ gunnerfan: Hope you don't experience the continue save bug! That will make any tactical sophistication useless as the defence simply will not defend, no matter what you do. If you start seeing a lot of ridiculously high scoring games, and an inept looking defence (who keep high morale despite conceding hat-fulls), then you know you have it. Good luck.

Actually, wwfan, I've been seriously considering restarting my game with Farsley for a number of reasons. I'm hesitating only because I'm 3/4 of the way through the season and have managed to do really well - in the finals of the Setanta Shield and the FA Trophy, and currently 3rd in the BSP. What's more, a large percentage of my squad have contracts that expire at the end of the season, which will allow me to clear a lot of dead wood off the roster, and I'm looking forward to that.

OTOH, I've learned a lot since I started this particlar game. I don't know if anyone else has played with Farsley, but it's quite a challenge. They're a recently promoted side with really lousy attributes (especially team pace, which seems to have two levels - dead slow and stop), poor coaching staff, and no - repeat, NO - scouts, hence no starting shortlist. You really have to be aggressive coming in, and if I were to start over, I think I'd be a lot more organized in how I got started.

wwfan you excel yourself every time! Awesome thread. Have printed off the initial couple of posts to read on the train to and from work.

Haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if this has been asked already but would a change of tactics midway through a season completely disrupt a squads performance do you think?

I'm doing well currently, in 2009/10 season with Werder Bremen so may wait until the start of the next season to really start putting the TT&F into complete practice. In the meantime will use bits and pieces to refer to when things don't go too well.

I guess that's the joy of all that info is that you can take bits here and there and then let it grow as you understand how everything fits together.

Once again - awesome icon14.gif

A formation change seems to take a while to adjust to, especially if your squad hasn't gelled, but different flavours of the same formation are fine. I have a high tactical consistency rating despite having five flavours of the 4-4-2. However, if what you have is working well...

Originally posted by wwfan:

A formation change seems to take a while to adjust to, especially if your squad hasn't gelled, but different flavours of the same formation are fine. I have a high tactical consistency rating despite having five flavours of the 4-4-2. However, if what you have is working well...

Thanks for that quick reply if only my internet banking would be so responsive icon_biggrin.gif

Just read through the majority of the thread now and even more inspiration from your example game on page 2. I've always struggled to get my head round the team talks and of late the assistant manager advice seems to indicate none of the team are listening to me. We're on a nine match unbeaten run, which naturally as every game passes comes closer to ending. Hopefully fueled with this additional insight the run will continue for a while longer.

And now back to the Bundesliga!

Kutgw - you're a credit to the SI forums icon14.gificon_wink.gif

In the spirit of working with a 4-4-2 system (purely because I don't personally like single striker formations icon_razz.gif ), I posted my "core" tactics on the forums today.

Now some of the settings I use fly completely in the face of some of the more conventional theories here, but that's just down to the players I look for and tweeks I've done over time & to the n'th degree. icon_wink.gif (they work fine for me! icon_razz.gif )

With that in mind, some people who've undoubtedly downloaded my tactics, will find it doesn't work for them, as they won't understand what I've tried to do enough to make their own changes. So, I'm proposing a set of tactics based on your thread wwfan and the RoO - Rule of One setup, for Control, Attack, Balanced, Counter and Defend.

I think that this should help "give" those who rely on downloaded tactics a good 4-4-2 tactics set that will hopefully work for them and that they understand.

I would like to bundle the tactics set into a zip folder for easier downloading and include, in a printable documet format, your original posts here, "Communication and Psychological 'Warfare' 08 (CPW) – Compact Version" by The next Diaby, "Wolfsong's guide to team talks - Fm08" by of course Wolfsong, "Scoring from corners cracked" by the henge. Finally, I'll provide some words of guidance regarding situations in a game when it's advisable to switch between the tactical settings. It's be a sort of "All In One Bag" package. icon_biggrin.gif

The question is, how do I go about copy/pasting stuff off the threads into my "Microsoft Works Word Processor", as I always get a message that the format of what I'm trying to paste is "exceeds the size limit of the word processor". icon_mad.gif

Suggestions please!! icon_wink.gif

I've decided - I'm going to start a new game with Farsley. If I continue with the saved game and start to get the continue save bug or some such, I'm going to get really annoyed. I'll report back when I've had some results - probably in about a week.

Originally posted by heathxxx:

The question is, how do I go about copy/pasting stuff off the threads into my "Microsoft Works Word Processor", as I always get a message that the format of what I'm trying to paste is "exceeds the size limit of the word processor". icon_mad.gif

Suggestions please!! icon_wink.gif

Painstakingly time consuming process but you may need to copy it into notepad before then copying smaller sections into MS Works. MS Works isn't the greatest are you trying to copy entire pages or just individual posts, such as wwfan's initial two posts in this thread? I copied those last night and even using a small size on the font in MS Word 2003 it still printed to 22 pages of A4 paper.

Originally posted by gunnerfan:

I've decided - I'm going to start a new game with Farsley. If I continue with the saved game and start to get the continue save bug or some such, I'm going to get really annoyed. I'll report back when I've had some results - probably in about a week.

Well, so much for that idea. I forgot that when I start a new game in 8.0.2, I also have the updated database. And so the jobs that were available when I started 8.0.0 are no longer the same ones available now.

So, I'll be starting at Longford. As good a place as any, I guess.

Thanks for the pointers eaglealan64 & Roadways icon14.gif

I've got MS Works because my shiny new PC came with no real word processor, or much other software on top of Vista. They're a bit stingy like that when you buy a PC in Spain. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll give Open Office a whirl and see if I can get the tactics bundle up on the forums tonight.

Morning,

After weeks of failed attempts to use other people's tactics i stumbled across the TT&F by wwfan and, although it took me 2 hours, created 5 sets of tactics which look very impressive, though ive only used Balanced and Defensive so far. I will probably try Attack when the odds are strongly in my favour.

I play this formation;

ST

AML AMR

MC MC

DM

DL DC DC DR

What i want to know is, though defensively it is very solid, and the way the midfield runs the show and passes the ball around is quality. But i seem to lack that attacking edge, few guilt edge chances fall my way. I dont seem to create any real one on one opportunities. Im scoring, but mainly from set pieces or the odd moment of magic.

Any ideas how i can be a bit more lethal up front without sacrificing my 5 man midfield?

Or is this only really going to improbe with 2 front men?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by heathxxx:

Thanks for the pointers eaglealan64 & Roadways icon14.gif

I've got MS Works because my shiny new PC came with no real word processor, or much other software on top of Vista. They're a bit stingy like that when you buy a PC in Spain. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll give Open Office a whirl and see if I can get the tactics bundle up on the forums tonight.

Most PCs sold with operating system give you MS works I thought whether it's Spain or England. I know mine did. I uninstalled it as soon as I could - MS works that is not the PC. icon_biggrin.gif

Open office is practically totally compatible with all of the standard MS office applications too icon14.gif

I've been frustrated with tactical setups for a while now so came across this thread and thought it was excellent. It has explained a lot to me, for instance I wasn't sure how through balls worked but this has cleared it right up.

I decided to make my own 5 tactics using a 4-5-1 system with wingers and started using it in my Man City game. First game I used it was away to Chelski so I opted for Defence. I obviously didnt impliment it properly or allow for the Drogba effect, 4-1 down at half time! Decided with the creative players I have the Control option might be better for the second half, this is what happened!

Comeback

My point is that is it sometimes better to go for it with the best system for your players at a place like Stamford Bridge or should you always start these games cauciously?

Great thread keep up the good work!!

I always thought Microsoft Works was an oxymoron...

@ denyyourmaker: Walk before you can run icon_smile.gif Defend, Counter and Balanced are not scoring tactics, rather, keep it tight and take the chances when they come. Attack and Control open up the opposing defence and can generate high scoring wins, but can also be ripped apart if constructed badly or used against the wrong type of opposition.

As long as you are seeing the quality in midfield and defence then you can be satisfied that you are doing things right. Then it is a matter of tweaking the offence (AML, AMR, FC plus your most creative MC in the formation you are using) so they are as efficient as possible in the three more cautious tactics and constructing more aggressive ones, so when you open up you really open up.

@ cunni102: Learning when to employ which tactic is the most important element of TT&F once you have actually constructed the systems. Get it right and you will overachieve. Get it wrong and the Chelsea first halves could repeat on you. Defend from the off with a team as good as Man City is probably too cautious; I'd have chosen Counter.

Watch the midfield in the 2d and the match stats. If the midfield are being overrun or are not engaging the opposition midfield and allowing them a lot of uncontested passes, you are using the wrong set. If the match stats are horribly in the other team's favour you are using the wrong set. Usually one leads to the other, but the stats don't kick in until 15 mins, so learning the read the 2d is vital if you are to correctly make early tactical changes.

Good read, but unfortunately I've had some of the worst results I've ever had in this game trying to use this, all it achieved for me was leaking of goals, and not being able to score. icon_frown.gif I'll go back to my random approach I think.

Originally posted by rebmalin:

Good read, but unfortunately I've had some of the worst results I've ever had in this game trying to use this, all it achieved for me was leaking of goals, and not being able to score. icon_frown.gif I'll go back to my random approach I think.

Did you also use the media guide and teamtalk ones? It's no good doing just what's in this thread if you don't combine it with the media guide etc.

Originally posted by Cleon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebmalin:

Did you also use the media guide and teamtalk ones? It's no good doing just what's in this thread if you don't combine it with the media guide etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's an inherent weakness in TT&F in that you HAVE to learn how to pick the right tactic for the right scenario. Getting it wrong will guarantee underperformance as much as getting it right guarantees overperformance. Good man/media management minimises the effect of selecting the wrong system just as bad media/man management minimises the effectiveness of the right tactic for the right match. If you pick the wrong tactic and the wrong team talks/media interaction, you are likely to go a few goals down very early in the match.

Watching the 2d and the match stats becomes vital in terms of knowing if you are using the right system. If your passing is circa 50% and the AI's 70%, CHANGE tactic. If you can see your midfielders aren't closing down the AI midifielders before they get a pass off, CHANGE tactic. If the AI is playing uncontested cross after uncontested cross into your box, CHANGE tactic.

TT&F does work. You just have to learn how to make it work.

Little update (for those that care) about my save. Left Liverpool as you know and decided to take on Aberdeen. They'd finished 9th in the latest season and my goal was a mid table finish. I managed to finish 3rd behind the big two!! Similiar sets to the Liverpool ones apart from CF being a little less in some positions.

wwfan, question. Counter you wrote in the begining was meant to be a low CF framwork however when I peeked at your sets some of your players had normal CF and I think one of a high as well. Reason for that?

The high CF player was my only real quality player in the division and he could dominate matches in the MCd spot. He was a playmaker via team settings rather than via the playmaker box, with play channeling through him. I liked the fact he could, in the Counter tactic, break with instructions and surge through the midifeld when the chance presented itself. He ended the season with the best passing percentage in the division, so the settings worked. I sold him end for a small LLM fortune end of season and replaced him with a more standard MCd and reverted the MCd settings to be more in line with Counter as described.

I was experimenting with setting CF to roughly equal to the flair attribute for the wide players and the forwards. Seemed to work quite well, so I stuck with it. Counter is still CF low compared to how I would use it with a top side with Control, in which I would have four attacking players with CF of between 15-20, depending on their stats.

Ok. Well I'll just leave my counter tactic on low for all positions. However I must admit that I sometimes gave higher CF to those players who reacted well to the pre-match media interaction. Have a Finnish left winger who always responded well and I always set his CF higher then others as I suspected he would be "more up for it"..

I noticed in one of your packs of tactic's that then were called FML Defend, FML Counter etc, My guess is this set is something you worked on for FM Live. Having recently been accepted for the beta test could you tell me if you have had any success with these theory's in FML? i have had mixed success with it so far as it's much easier reading the AI that other human's.

Iv alway's read your article's with great intrest and have taken alot of knowledge from them.Really i just wanted your opinion on if you think it's worth using this approach in FML.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Andrewbanny:

I noticed in one of your packs of tactic's that then were called FML Defend, FML Counter etc, My guess is this set is something you worked on for FM Live. Having recently been accepted for the beta test could you tell me if you have had any success with these theory's in FML? i have had mixed success with it so far as it's much easier reading the AI that other human's.

Iv alway's read your article's with great intrest and have taken alot of knowledge from them.Really i just wanted your opinion on if you think it's worth using this approach in FML.

Thanks in advance.

Not in FML unless you are willing to change the marking patterns prior to every game. Then they'd be OK.

I'm still really only playing FML in beta testing mode, trying to spot engine flaws over and above trying to win. The 4-4-2 helps in that regard. If I were playing to win I'd probably try a narrow diamond.

Thxs for the quick reply,Yes im using the 5min's pre kick-off to use O.I and change CD And FC accordingly and having reasonable success.I think the key to using your theory's in FML is getting use to the match engine at the speed's it's using and switching tactic in time and O.I seem;s important, more so than FM08.

A lot of player's on FML seem abit naive in it's attack,attack and attack and dont make any change's in game so i think a soak up pressure and counter would work well..

Thxs again, any other tip's for FML you have please share..

Archived