What changes in off season that causes such a downturn?

I am so, so confused and exhausted with this game.

I seem to have a "third season curse" that just does not make sense. It's happened twice in my current save and goes something like this:

Season 1: Take over club, win promotion. Make signings and improve squad.

Season 2: Just miss out on second promotion in a row. Make signings and improve squad.

Season 3: Hugely underachieve, struggle to be anything more than a midtable side.

It just doesn't make literally any sense at all, I know bad spells can occur etc but how on earth can a tactic which was booming, with players (with a handful of improved additions) completely crash and burn?

RNG factor. You will have 3 good seasons from 5, as an example. This version has been increased the RNG factor. 

I hope FM21 will see a decrease of that. 

14 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

RNG factor. You will have 3 good seasons from 5, as an example. This version has been increased the RNG factor. 

What's the ****ing point in that. Such a waste. Can't be arsed going through hours and hours to complete another season when it's written off after 12 games. 

25 minutes ago, Whalix said:

I seem to have a "third season curse" that just does not make sense. It's happened twice in my current save and goes something like this:

Season 2: Just miss out on second promotion in a row. Make signings and improve squad.

Season 3: Hugely underachieve, struggle to be anything more than a midtable side.

It just doesn't make literally any sense at all, I know bad spells can occur etc but how on earth can a tactic which was booming, with players (with a handful of improved additions) completely crash and burn?

Hi Jose.

6 minutes ago, Whalix said:

What's the ****ing point in that. Such a waste. Can't be arsed going through hours and hours to complete another season when it's written off after 12 games. 

That isn't actually accurate, it's just something that poster has been saying since he joined without any evidence to back up his assertion.

So, there is no RNG in the game. Ok.

My experience so far with:

3 different test tacting leagues.

6 different normal saves.

Over 60 tactics from different users.

800+ hours with the game.

Over 1000 matches matches for testing tactics.

Sure, there is no RNG in the game.

Let be serious, Jordan.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Cadoni said:

Of course every game has RNG factor inside it but shouldn't be a valid excuse for your own failings when others have achieved great success across long saves bringing non league club to premier league status etc

2 hours ago, Cadoni said:

So, there is no RNG in the game. Ok.

My experience so far with:

3 different test tacting leagues.

6 different normal saves.

Over 60 tactics from different users.

800+ hours with the game.

Over 1000 matches matches for testing tactics.

Sure, there is no RNG in the game.

Let be serious, Jordan.

60 tactics across 6 saves I wonder what could have gone wrong here?

3 hours ago, Whalix said:

Maybe post your tactic in the tactics forum and let ppl have a look at it? Over time teams will adjust to your increased rep and be more defensive. U might face issues if tactic is not suited against teams that defend with a low block

5 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

Of course every game has RNG factor inside it but shouldn't be a valid excuse for your own failings when others have achieved great success across long saves bringing non league club to premier league status etc

I have made similar achievements with my own save. 

Thank you for your answer. 

5 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

60 tactics across 6 saves I wonder what could have gone wrong here?

It seems you have no idea about testing and developing a game, but you try to defend something here which is not your job and don't understand at all. 

Good morning. 

Back to the topic.

Gamer wants to know whats wrong. 

1 minute ago, Cadoni said:

It seems you have no idea about testing and developing a game, but you try to defend something here which is not your job and don't understand at all. 

Good morning. 

Back to the topic.

Gamer wants to know whats wrong. 

what am i defending here??pls enlighten me. 

sure u can test all the tactics all u want. I'm just raising my suspicion here. I have also offered constructive advice to OP to post his tactics so that others can help him since im no tactical expert myself meanwhile u are the one that says its due to RNG which isnt helpful at all. maybe share which tactics u have found most effective across what u have tested and let OP test with his team and see if it benefits him.

1 minute ago, zyfon5 said:

what am i defending here??pls enlighten me. 

sure u can test all the tactics all u want. I'm just raising my suspicion here. I have also offered constructive advice to OP to post his tactics so that others can help him since im no tactical expert myself meanwhile u are the one that says its due to RNG which isnt helpful at all. maybe share which tactics u have found most effective across what u have tested and let OP test with his team and see if it benefits him.

zyfon5, 

Since you advice the gamer to post his her tactic, I said my own finds within the game about RNG which play role. Like a tactic play role. And many other things. 

Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

zyfon5, 

Since you advice the gamer to post his her tactic, I said my own finds within the game about RNG which play role. Like a tactic play role. And many other things. 

Thank you. 

sure football as in any other games or sports has a lot of luck factors involved, so FM as a football simulation game will naturally depends a lot on luck. so i do agree on the RNG saying. however, i believe there are ways that will improve your odds of winning. so in game u can manage a non-league team to premier league team as long as u know the ways to do so which are always much more rarer in real life. FM base has also carried out a lot of mass testing on tactics on their site. if FM is only based on luck, we will see all the tactics being pretty much equal which is simply not true. well known tactic creators like knap and rashidi wouldn't even made their name in the community if tactics are just down to pure luck.

i respect ur opinion on this and think i have said enough on this topic. good luck with ur future FM saves

To the OP, it is definitely related to increased rep and the AI sitting deeper and getting more players behind the ball.   I've gotten back to back promotions with Crewe and the games after the Jan window closes are just about grinding it out.  Sometimes even as a huge favorite I've played deeper and more compact myself in order to draw my opponent out of their bus, so to speak, and hit them on the counter.

I've got a base tactic that I adjust for each game based on my opponent and the odds.  There is a lot more to say but suffice to say it's best to design your own tactic and tweak on a game by game or even smaller increments as needed.  

People are missing the obvious point here. You need to switch your tactics around, this has been mentioned before. If you keep using the same one, the AI will know how to counter you. The game even hints to you when they ask you about change of tactics or lack thereof.

You can technically bungle your way through with one formation, but you need to eventually change things around to throw them off.

Nobody's missing any point here. AI doesn't know how to cope your tactic. AI doesn't work like that, AI can barely manage how to play when down to 10 men, AI doesn't even know what tactic you are playing with.

AI works on two main factors:

1) Reputation

2) Result

About randomness, I can share my experience. I started many saves and in each one of them, in italian Serie A, there was 1 team making 90+ points. Juve sure, the following save was Lazio. Then Milan. Then Roma. Then Inter. Actually after the second season Inter was capable to hit 103 points, 33W 4D 1L over 38 games. The achievements were totally random and nothing to do with realism, not even at the very first season.

7 hours ago, Federico said:

Nobody's missing any point here. AI doesn't know how to cope your tactic. AI doesn't work like that, AI can barely manage how to play when down to 10 men, AI doesn't even know what tactic you are playing with.

AI works on two main factors:

1) Reputation

2) Result

About randomness, I can share my experience. I started many saves and in each one of them, in italian Serie A, there was 1 team making 90+ points. Juve sure, the following save was Lazio. Then Milan. Then Roma. Then Inter. Actually after the second season Inter was capable to hit 103 points, 33W 4D 1L over 38 games. The achievements were totally random and nothing to do with realism, not even at the very first season.

Although AI do not know how to counter ur tactics they will adjust based on what they perceived is the right thing to do. Try set up a corner routine with one player coming short but the taker getting the ball into the 6 yard box. See how many matches the AI will learn that they do not need to defend the player that is coming short. For me it took around 5 games.

On 09/04/2020 at 03:26, Cadoni said:

Stop derailing the OP's thread with this utter garbage. And stop spreading false things around. And I do not think you understand what the word "random" means. 

OP you can safely ignore this nonsense.

The obvious question is what are you doing tactically? As your standing changes in the game, teams will start to treat you with more respect. Which means they will generally defend more and leave less space. If your tactic is good at exploiting the oppositionj when they attack, but not when they are defensive, this can cause this. 

On 09/04/2020 at 02:21, Whalix said:

Hey man, just to let you know so other people making stuff up doesn't put you off: I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with being consistent, season upon season. The idea that the computer just randomly decides you're going to have a bad season is completely ridiculous.

In your case if it's always happening in the third season I'd suggest there's something to do with what you're doing which is causing the problem. Unfortunately you've provided very little information as to how you're approaching the game, which makes it practically impossible for anyone to offer any suggestions as to how you could go about changing that. You could have players who are getting old. If you're missing out on promotion you could have players being unsettled by bids for bigger teams. Your choices of "improved" players to sign could actually be bad players to play the roles you want them to. Or it could be that none of that is the case and there's something completely different going on. Whatever the case may be; Try to offer as much information as possible (without going into tedious detail that'll make it difficult to get through) and I - and I'm sure others - will be more than happy to try to advise you on how you might be able to stop this from happening in the future. If you're otherwise enjoying the game *don't give up* just because some random on an internet message board is telling you that sometimes the computer will just decide your season isn't going to go well.

On 09/04/2020 at 15:32, LetsNotScoreGoals said:

People are missing the obvious point here. You need to switch your tactics around, this has been mentioned before. If you keep using the same one, the AI will know how to counter you.

The AI does not learn your tactic or how to counter you, it isn't that advanced. All it will do is go more defensive as your rep increases.

Edited by Tiger666