[FM20] Cyprus - Full Football League System, Database Update and More

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, 

The Cypriot FA released its rules for the next season today. 

Amongst them is the announcement that the non-EU restrictions will be extended so you can now have 7 non-EU players in your "registration" (their words, I previously thought it was match squad). Therefore I've updated my file with this rule to come into effect for the 2020-2021 season. 

There were other things announced, like the league will be 14 teams just for next season due to Covid, but I didn't implement anything like that because this is still FM20. However, I felt that this adjustment on EU rules was worth nothing. I've tested it and it all works correctly. 

I cannot find the rules for the Second Division but I'm going to fairly assume they may have extended non-EU rules in the Second Division so I bumped those to 4. Third Division I left at 2. 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qd6982hbxk3mifv/Cyprus_Full_League_Structure_V5.0.fmf/file

15 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

Hello guys, 

The Cypriot FA released its rules for the next season today. 

Amongst them is the announcement that the non-EU restrictions will be extended so you can now have 7 non-EU players in your "registration" (their words, I previously thought it was match squad). Therefore I've updated my file with this rule to come into effect for the 2020-2021 season. 

There were other things announced, like the league will be 14 teams just for next season due to Covid, but I didn't implement anything like that because this is still FM20. However, I felt that this adjustment on EU rules was worth nothing. I've tested it and it all works correctly. 

I cannot find the rules for the Second Division but I'm going to fairly assume they may have extended non-EU rules in the Second Division so I bumped those to 4. Third Division I left at 2. 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qd6982hbxk3mifv/Cyprus_Full_League_Structure_V5.0.fmf/file

Nice one. I had downloaded V5.0 but only had a quick play around with it. The better non-EU limit sounds great so I will download this version instead.

Thanks for your work :thup:

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Nice one. I had downloaded V5.0 but only had a quick play around with it. The better non-EU limit sounds great so I will download this version instead.

Thanks for your work :thup:

My pleasure. 

Yes indeed, it means from 2020-2021 you can register 7-non EU players (and for example some nations don't count). U22 players do not need to be registered. So it's a more lax system, however you still must register 10 HG players. 

3 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

It's very hard to find the 10 HG players of decent quality, but it's easy enough to leave space in the squad (e.g. register around 20 or so) and sign young players under 22 to use as unregistered players.

Indeed, initially. It's the real rule so I have to implement it. 

However, after a few years some not terrible regens show up (for Cyprus) that are easy to snap up and any youngsters you sign that become HG obviously count and it is quite easy when the U22 players don't have to be registered :). 

Have you decided on a team to try?

Edited by Travis Bickle

41 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Indeed, initially. It's the real rule so I have to implement it. 

However, after a few years some not terrible regens show up (for Cyprus) that are easy to snap up and any youngsters you sign that become HG obviously count and it is quite easy when the U22 players don't have to be registered :). 

Have you decided on a team to try?

I agree, it's good to have the accurate rules so no worries there.

I've initially set up as (yawn) APOEL purely because of two players Al-Tamari and De Vincenti. I looked at quite a few clubs, but it's my first go in Cyprus and the chance to be managing that pair swung it for me.

10 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I agree, it's good to have the accurate rules so no worries there.

I've initially set up as (yawn) APOEL purely because of two players Al-Tamari and De Vincenti. I looked at quite a few clubs, but it's my first go in Cyprus and the chance to be managing that pair swung it for me.

APOEL are a great team to build with. 

Especially if you make the CL within the first season or two (can be tough first year depending on the draw, you could get an easy draw or you could get Ajax) your budget should be several millions and you can afford a team well beyond what other teams in Cyprus can have. You've also got very good training facilities. 

Other teams that could be fun are Apollon Limassol, who are still a good team and you have an opportunity to build in the best Cypriot city, Pafos who are trying to build a good team with foreign investment, or Anorthosis Famagusta who are for all purposes a fallen giant. 

Edited by Travis Bickle

1 hour ago, Travis Bickle said:

APOEL are a great team to build with. 

Especially if you make the CL within the first season or two (can be tough first year depending on the draw, you could get an easy draw or you could get Ajax) your budget should be several millions and you can afford a team well beyond what other teams in Cyprus can have. You've also got very good training facilities. 

Other teams that could be fun are Apollon Limassol, who are still a good team and you have an opportunity to build in the best Cypriot city, Pafos who are trying to build a good team with foreign investment, or Anorthosis Famagusta who are for all purposes a fallen giant. 

I think I looked at Apollon and Anorthosis and all the clubs in the top two leagues. I know a bit about Pafos because of the money and Cameron Toshack going there. They have a couple of ex-Reading players (Williams and Rakels) too. APOEL just seemed an easier first dip in to Cyprus and you need a bit of budget to sign some HGN players. You're right about Ajax, I got them first time around (and lost) but this time I got weaker opponents (not got that far to play it yet).

It's a shame you can only cancel one of their six loans (i would only choose to keep Alef) but it's realistic that a new manager would inherit the shambles of somebody else! The funny thing about their squad is who on earth decided they could play a formation with about five or six right wingers :lol:

3 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I think I looked at Apollon and Anorthosis and all the clubs in the top two leagues. I know a bit about Pafos because of the money and Cameron Toshack going there. They have a couple of ex-Reading players (Williams and Rakels) too. APOEL just seemed an easier first dip in to Cyprus and you need a bit of budget to sign some HGN players. You're right about Ajax, I got them first time around (and lost) but this time I got weaker opponents (not got that far to play it yet).

It's a shame you can only cancel one of their six loans (i would only choose to keep Alef) but it's realistic that a new manager would inherit the shambles of somebody else! The funny thing about their squad is who on earth decided they could play a formation with about five or six right wingers :lol:

Clubs in Cyprus have a habit of thinking a bit short term...lol. I think it has the highest turnover of players of any league in Europe. 

Regardless, if I were you I'd sell Efraim (former Arsenal youth product) as he doesn't actually meet HG criteria. Al-Tamari is a great prospect if you play with IFs but you can also sell him to a Spanish club for 8M+ first season. That gives you a bit of room to manoeuvre with the squad. With APOEL I usually just try and get a RB (Ivan from Levante or Junio Rocha) and a CB (Aridane) on loan first season. But you have many options. 

You do have quite good training facilities there though. 

Edited by Travis Bickle

2 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

Clubs in Cyprus have a habit of thinking a bit short term...lol. I think it has the highest turnover of players of any league in Europe. 

Regardless, if I were you I'd sell Efraim (former Arsenal youth product) as he doesn't actually meet HG criteria. Al-Tamari is a great prospect if you play with IFs but you can also sell him to a Spanish club for 8M+ first season. That gives you a bit of room to manoeuvre with the squad. With APOEL I usually just try and get a RB (Ivan from Levante or Junio Rocha) and a CB (Aridane) on loan first season. But you have many options. 

You do have quite good training facilities there though. 

Efraim has HGN status for me so was worth keeping initially. Selling Al-Tamari makes sense, but he is one of the two players I actually wanted to manage so cashing in him voluntarily is not part of my plan.

I added a couple of players on free transfers and paid for a few Cypriot players to boost HGN numbers. They have so many loan players that I decided not to get anyone on loan other than a young GK who doesn't need to be picked unless the main one is unavailable (I sold Waterman). Ivan looks a good player so I'll keep an eye on him for next season as Levante may let his contract run down.

Still trying to shift some of the others but nobody is keen on Aloneftis, Makris, Jakolis, Hallenius or Mihajlovic this time (got rid of most of them first time around),  

Next season with loans finished and contracts expiring, I should be able to put my own stamp on the squad (if I get that far).

I think you're right about the highest turnover, and you may find this video interesting if you hadn't seen it before.

Sorry this went from a Cyprus leagues data extension file to a chat about teams and transfers. Maybe you should do a Cyprus football guide in GPTG :lol:

Edited by Jogo Bonito

59 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Efraim has HGN status for me so was worth keeping initially. Selling Al-Tamari makes sense, but he is one of the two players I actually wanted to manage so cashing in him voluntarily is not part of my plan.

I added a couple of players on free transfers and paid for a few Cypriot players to boost HGN numbers. They have so many loan players that I decided not to get anyone on loan other than a young GK who doesn't need to be picked unless the main one is unavailable (I sold Waterman). Ivan looks a good player so I'll keep an eye on him for next season as Levante may let his contract run down.

Still trying to shift some of the others but nobody is keen on Aloneftis, Makris, Jakolis, Hallenius or Mihajlovic this time (got rid of most of them first time around),  

Next season with loans finished and contracts expiring, I should be able to put my own stamp on the squad (if I get that far).

I think you're right about the highest turnover, and you may find this video interesting if you hadn't seen it before.

Sorry this went from a Cyprus leagues data extension file to a chat about teams and transfers. Maybe you should do a Cyprus football guide in GPTG :lol:

No worries, I enjoy it!

I might consider a guide actually, and yes indeed I've seen the video. 

Andreas Panagiotou is not a bad RB. Also Pieros Sotiriou if you can get him is also a good one up front. Aloneftis I usually keep along with Merkis as they are team leaders and keeping them happy keeps the players on your side first season. Let me know how you get on! Even if you make the EL first season it is a good start. The league can be tough or easy depending on the momentum of the other teams. Playing against some of the lesser teams can be tough since they really park the bus. 

1 minute ago, Travis Bickle said:

No worries, I enjoy it!

I might consider a guide actually, and yes indeed I've seen the video. 

Andreas Panagiotou is not a bad RB. Also Pieros Sotiriou if you can get him is also a good one up front. Aloneftis I usually keep along with Merkis as they are team leaders and keeping them happy keeps the players on your side first season. Let me know how you get on! Even if you make the EL first season it is a good start. The league can be tough or easy depending on the momentum of the other teams. Playing against some of the lesser teams can be tough since they really park the bus. 

He's the guy I signed for starter at right-back as an extra Cypriot body. I had to pay £145k for him, but it was necessary! Sotiriou is on the radar but too expensive for this season. I tried to sign Brambilla from Doxa for £250k, but he wasn't interested. I'm pretty much done in the market unless I can shift some of the unwanted. I had wanted a right side centre-back but can make do with what I have for a year. I might sign a striker if he is going to be better than the rest, otherwise I will pass on that for now too.

I'll keep an eye out for your guide! I think you might be surprised how popular it could become... 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 3oneZ said:

If i update to the newest version do i need to start a new game ?? I am on Version 4.0 and i want to update to the newest one but i don't want really wanna start over.  

new file - new game

On 24/07/2020 at 16:27, 3oneZ said:

If i update to the newest version do i need to start a new game ?? I am on Version 4.0 and i want to update to the newest one but i don't want really wanna start over.  

Yes you would have to start a new game unfortunately as the structural rules of the league have changed. 

The easing of non-EU player rules was only announced recently. 

Edited by Travis Bickle

I've managed to complete the first season with APOEL and the seven foreigner rule change you implemented has kicked in correctly.

That (and being able to get rid of their host of loan players and other OOC players) means I can actually build my own kind of squad for season 2. Most of the focus was on signing Cypriots (particularly goalkeepers, defence and midfield) then adding to the sprinkling of 'Cypriot standard stardust' around it. 

Edited by Jogo Bonito

On 30/07/2020 at 13:11, Travis Bickle said:

Yes you would have to start a new game unfortunately as the structural rules of the league have changed. 

The easing of non-EU player rules was only announced recently. 

ok Thanks for the info. I guess i will stick to my file a little more then before starting a new one. I am on season 4 with AEL Limassol and all the prep work i've done the past seasons are now starting to kick in. 

Btw off topic but are u planning on releasing an update with the new rosters after the summer transfer window?

@Travis Bickle I've created a very basic Cyprus football guide in the GPTG forum, with links and credits to your page here and your great database. I hope that you and anyone else managing in Cyprus will post details of progress and give any advice/guidance that may be helpful. Cheers for making this possible!

Edited by Jogo Bonito

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2020 at 12:36, Travis Bickle said:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/aa0tc1ee28v0u8k/Cyprus+Full+League+Structure+V5.0.fmf/file

Here's a new update which includes the new Limassol Stadium for 2022. Capacity 13,000. For some reason all 3 clubs end up "owning" the stadium. Not sure if that's what will happen in real life but I can't find the actual ownership details. 

Yup, all three clubs will own the stadium. The plot was divided to three and each club was owning a part. 

The clubs decided to build a stadium together so the can take advantage of the whole land and bring the individual cost for the project down. (a third of the land was not big enough to host a stadium anw)  

8 hours ago, 3oneZ said:

Yup, all three clubs will own the stadium. The plot was divided to three and each club was owning a part. 

The clubs decided to build a stadium together so the can take advantage of the whole land and bring the individual cost for the project down. (a third of the land was not big enough to host a stadium anw)  

Thank you for the information!

Hello Travis, great add on you have made here with a lot of correct details. The best one available for the Cyprus League. For your next update, if you are planning to do so, you should include the new rules for the new league this season. It will feature 14 teams same format as last year, so first part each teams play each other twice and the next part there will be 2 groups of 6 teams this means that the bottom 2 teams in the first stage will be automatically relegated. Relegation this season will be 4 teams but only 2 teams will be promoted and so the league format will return as it was last season. This has happened due to the pandemic to help the smaller teams survive.

On 18/08/2020 at 09:07, Sergios9 said:

Hello Travis, great add on you have made here with a lot of correct details. The best one available for the Cyprus League. For your next update, if you are planning to do so, you should include the new rules for the new league this season. It will feature 14 teams same format as last year, so first part each teams play each other twice and the next part there will be 2 groups of 6 teams this means that the bottom 2 teams in the first stage will be automatically relegated. Relegation this season will be 4 teams but only 2 teams will be promoted and so the league format will return as it was last season. This has happened due to the pandemic to help the smaller teams survive.

Hi, 

Yes, that's what I will do. 14 teams for 1 season and then back to 12 teams. It'll be a bit more tricky but I'll sort it out when the game is released. 

Don't worry, I'm always on top of the rules. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

+1

I hope @Travis Bickle don't mind, but i made his last file (v5) compatible to fm 2021 (v21.4.1)
I'm not sure about the rules, if they keep it but here it is the changes i made:

• Number of teams in second division - 18
  • Number of teams in third division - 14
  • Lower league cup is getting 14 teams from third division and 2 from lower division (i really don't care about this cup, so i made it like this)

Download

Edited by zeus77

• 4 weeks later...