Wage demands from players

Hello,

maybe someone can shed some light on this or know what to do, I hope so. 

So this has happened; I’ve had a tremendous second season and won everything. Now most of my players have pre-concerns over improved contracts. 

They range from squad players to key players, and they all want between 100k-180k wages being on anything from 30k up to 100k. 

Those earning the most obviously being key players and already got new contracts less than a year ago.

I simply can’t afford new contracts to 11-12 players of 100k to 180k each. What do I do? 

Any help or tips are welcome, thanks!

Some details are needed, are u playing in a top league? Was that "won everything" season a league + champions + cup? Or league + cup? Also is normal for players to request better contracts according to team/league level for instance u can keep a world class player at 200-240k per week but after champions league win those will want a better wage

Welcome to FM 19. This has been an ongoing issue since day one and, though the devs have tried tone it down with patches, I’ve seen no improvement whatsoever. 

Doesn’t matter what size your club is or what your finances are. If you’re on a great run, the players start whining nonstop for a new contract, regardless of how long they’re into their current one.

I’m playing Touch  The player’s usually are not happy when I tell them they have plenty of time left on their current contract and “request to leave”.

The responses I’ve read are to just “sell the player” but that doesn’t address the issue. This issue alone can ruin long term saves IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Welcome to FM 19. This has been an ongoing issue since day one and, though the devs have tried tone it down with patches, I’ve seen no improvement whatsoever. 

Doesn’t matter what size your club is or what your finances are. If you’re on a great run, the players start whining nonstop for a new contract, regardless of how long they’re into their current one.

I’m playing Touch  The player’s usually are not happy when I tell them they have plenty of time left on their current contract and “request to leave”.

The responses I’ve read are to just “sell the player” but that doesn’t address the issue. This issue alone can ruin long term saves IMO. 

One of the many reasons why i use the in-game editor for when stuff like this happens. 

7 minutes ago, StevehFC said:

One of the many reasons why i use the in-game editor for when stuff like this happens. 

And I’m using FMRTE for Touch but this is nothing but a temporary workaround and not a fix. The player(s) will become unhappy again with their contract quickly. Rinse & repeat. 

The underlying issue with contract unhappiness needs to be fixed for FM 20 since, obviously, it won’t be fixed in 19. 

Personally I think this is something which could be toned down a bit.  It may or may not be realistic but there is a world of difference in real clubs dealing with such requests spread throughout an entire year and us having to deal with the click fest during the course of a few hours.  Fun it isn't.

However having said that players will react differently to your chats not only depending on their personality but also your own.  When you create a manager, pay attention to the mental aspects, specifically the one which affects player reactions to you and how likely they are to bring things up with you (Man Management?).

Or just leave it all to your DoF.

42 minutes ago, WorcesterLegend said:

Some details are needed, are u playing in a top league? Was that "won everything" season a league + champions + cup? Or league + cup? Also is normal for players to request better contracts according to team/league level for instance u can keep a world class player at 200-240k per week but after champions league win those will want a better wage

I just finished second season with Newcastle in EPL. The first season I won EPL (by one point) to Liverpool. But lost out in both cups early on.
The second season was absolutely tremendous I won the Community shield, EPL, League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League.

My squad is not bad considering two incredible seasons. I got taken over during the first season, but no sugar daddy or anyhting like that. I've tried to keep within a reasonable budget both in wages and fees. (I'm old and I'm 'stuck' in the old days before transfer fees and wages went crazy).

I am afraid I have to sell the ones I've higlighted. They all want so much money, and I don't have that. I have been searching the forums for answers and the bugs forum too, but maybe this occurs because I have had so much success with a mid-table squad? I don't know... but I find it hard to justify a wage raise from say £38K to £115K?

My current squad is:

Freddie Woodman    GK
Karl Darlow    GK
Martin Dubravka    GK
Jamaal Lascelles    D (C)

Paul Dummett    D (LC)
Ciaran Clark    D (LC)
DeAndre Yedlin    D/WB (R)
Tomas Soucek    D (C), DM
Jesus Vallejo    D (C), DM
Ãlex Robles    D (RC), WB (R)
Charlie Taylor    D/WB/M (L)
Antonio Barreca    D/WB/M (L)
Isaac Hayden    DM, M (C)
Anders Trondsen    DM, M (C)
Miguel Almiron    M/AM (C)

Matt Ritchie    M/AM (RL)
Cristian Pavon    M (L), AM (RL)
Everton    M (L), AM (RL), ST (C)
Viktor Fischer    M (L), AM (RLC), ST (C)
Pione Sisto    M/AM (RL)
Jack Grealish    M/AM (RLC)

Pelayo Morilla    M (L), AM (RLC)
Lucas Pratto    AM (RLC), ST (C)
Divock Origi    AM (RLC), ST (C)
Kasper Dolberg    AM (RLC), ST (C)

Dnyamics has always been an issue. They just never seem to get it right; agents, contracts, player happiness. Something is always messed up each year (but I suppose if they perfected it we wouldn't need to buy a new game each year).

My latest one was a 17 year old that I gave a handful of sub appearances, and 6 months into his contract he thinks he's one of my top players and demands more money. 5 year contract be damned.
Then I replaced the guy ahead of him in line up (1 in, 1 out) and he moans his 'position is under threat'; no it ain't, you're lucky not to be in the U23s pal.

38 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Personally I think this is something which could be toned down a bit.  It may or may not be realistic but there is a world of difference in real clubs dealing with such requests spread throughout an entire year and us having to deal with the click fest during the course of a few hours.  Fun it isn't.

However having said that players will react differently to your chats not only depending on their personality but also your own.  When you create a manager, pay attention to the mental aspects, specifically the one which affects player reactions to you and how likely they are to bring things up with you (Man Management?).

Or just leave it all to your DoF.

My manager is created with attributes like the one under. I tried let my DoF negotiate contracts but  it seems he just offer them whatever they demand?

Coaching

Attacking
Defending
Fitness
Goalkeeper Distribution
Goalkeeper Handling
Goalkeeper Shot Stopping
Tactical
Technical
Mental
Working With Youngsters

Mental

Adaptability
Determination
Player Knowledge
Youngster Knowledge
Level Of Discipline
Man Management
Motivating

Thank you all for replying.

I'm unsure how I'm going to move forward with my save game. I'm think of maybe saving a backup file, and then continue playing on the other just to see how the summer plays out?

I might be able to 'survive' the contract requests or I'll have to sell some or all of them, I don't know? It's a really discouraging situation...

Never offer new contracts to players that have plenty of time remaining in their current one, no matter how angry they get.  When you get the last year of their current deal and if you can't come to an agreement, sell them. 

Definitely do a local backup before negotiating any contracts. You have to decide which players are really worth keeping and then try to negotiate individually.  If you're too far apart then sell them. If any of those players are "Wanted" by other clubs then try to sell them for max value and use the money to build the squad back up.  If you have a decent youth system, bring some of those players up. Use the youth system anyway. 

If you start a new save you'll likely encounter then same problem at some point. 

2 hours ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Never offer new contracts to players that have plenty of time remaining in their current one, no matter how angry they get.  When you get the last year of their current deal and if you can't come to an agreement, sell them. 

Definitely do a local backup before negotiating any contracts. You have to decide which players are really worth keeping and then try to negotiate individually.  If you're too far apart then sell them. If any of those players are "Wanted" by other clubs then try to sell them for max value and use the money to build the squad back up.  If you have a decent youth system, bring some of those players up. Use the youth system anyway. 

If you start a new save you'll likely encounter then same problem at some point. 

Agreed! I'm in season 4 with Fiorentina and i'm fighting the same kind of battle.  Squad players (mostly rotation or backup if i can angle it in an initial contract) often within 6 months of getting a reasonable amount of games start demanding new deals, but like what's being mentioned it's never 35k to 50k or 35k to 60k it's always a demand of 80k/90k/110k+ even when the suggested wage is only to up their current deal by 15/20k, the player/agent is never happy to accept it, if i make the wage none negotiable the signing on fee's fly up or they demand like 15/20% yearly wage increase.  It's not feasible to run a club like that. 

However i just get them on 4/5 year deals then let them moan.  Some players will kick up a stink and then get other players involved but usually within 4 months they drop their complaints.  Another alternative is speak to your captain and see what he recommends to "increase the spirit in the squad" and if he says "... unhappiness is effecting the squad" then maybe get the odd player a new deal till it's appeased enough the squad to move on. 

I (like some have said) dislike letting the DOF deal with contracts as in my experience he'll get (your own players) on slightly less than they want but will give them pretty much what agent/signing-on fee's they want, pretty much always gives them a yearly wage increase % and doesn't push the contract length past what the player/agents want.  It would be good to be able set some guidelines you want the DOF to stick to when dealing with contracts e.g. don't go for more than 5% year wage increase, always push for a 4/5 year deal as long as the player is (at the time of negotiation) 28 or younger. etc etc and be able to have the final say on a contract offered by the DOF.

It's not just the contract requests from being successful though; it's constant in this edition at least. For context, I have a successful team full of wonderkids that I have nurtured into a CL winning side - every time the transfer window opens, PSG are *constantly* (and I mean constantly - literally every click of continue), offering desultory bids for them. Result? New contract please. Little bit of good form? New contract please. Club showing interest? New contract please.

I think the wage demands and contract demands are a little off in this edition; I hope it gets fixed for the next release.

On 27/04/2019 at 18:12, |maze| said:

but I find it hard to justify a wage raise from say £38K to £115K

I find it completely normal that they expect such a pay rise though. They are part of a side that has been incredibly successful. They will feel they have the right to earn a lot more than they do. Especially since both you and they will have an increase in reputation. Key players in a team winning the EPL two years in a row probably should expect to be paid more than 100k per week. 

I think this is another case of giving FM unusual inputs and getting unusual outputs. 

I sing player on 15k/w 5year contract, I dont give him contract until last year. It happens that my player win 2 CL on 15k/w wage. He can cry all he wants I always say we dont have money. After that I must give him 200k/w :D

2 hours ago, Filke said:

I sing player on 15k/w 5year contract, I dont give him contract until last year. It happens that my player win 2 CL on 15k/w wage. He can cry all he wants I always say we dont have money. After that I must give him 200k/w :D

yep, i sign my players to as long contract as possible + 1 year contract extension & no release clause. i reject every offer no matter how upset they get and then sell them the summer before their contract ends. most of my players join when they are 16/17 so once they turn 18 I hit them with a 5 year contract, hoping to keep them for 4 seasons. that is usually the only contract they ever sign, because they outgrow the club.

sometimes it goes wrong. my 21 y/o wonderkid striker/if who was already playing for spain just got sold to leipzig for 18.5m (valued at 46m upon transfering). when i previously renewed his contract his agent got in there with a non-negotiable release clause before I could "exclude" it :D the funny thing is that he has been insane for about 3 seasons, so I'm surprised it's taken this long for a club to trigger his release clause.

there are teams interested in my players year round ("interest from elsewhere") so it is usually impossible to re-sign them, even when i meet their demands (silverware/champions league qualification). i try to sell them for as much as possible, to the worst club possible, with a 50% profit clause. for example, I was able to sell this guy to bordeaux last season for 9m & 50% profit. far less than what he is actually worth, but that clause will get me a very nice amount in the future.

my best young striker will currently only sign a new contract with a 14m release clause. in this case it makes no sense to renew his contract. he will cost £3m in wages on his current deal over that period of time and in 3 seasons I will probably get minimum 20m & 50% profit.

anyway I guess my post isn't really related to the OP... looking at your highlighted players, I don't think any of those players are particularly irreplaceable. I'd personally be tempted to sell all of them. but then the oldest player at my club is 23 and I have never had much loyalty with my players, most of them don't want to play for the mighty Servette! :lol:

Archived