GK full potential

No matter what young goalkeeper I use, they never complete their potential, or even get close. They always fall at least 1 and a half stars short of there supposed to be max potential. How do I fix this? I’ve tried Donnarumma and Svieler, and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. They’re often on sweeper keeper on attack or support.

You’re also judging the situation based on the stars. This is your staff’s opinion of the player at that given time, compared to the quality of your squad and the league you are in. This will fluctuate throughout your save game. Their actual potential (PA) is hidden. 

3 hours ago, Arsenal457 said:

No matter what young goalkeeper I use, they never complete their potential, or even get close. They always fall at least 1 and a half stars short of there supposed to be max potential. How do I fix this? I’ve tried Donnarumma and Svieler, and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. They’re often on sweeper keeper on attack or support.

You're not doing anything wrong because it's OK if players don't always reach their potential.  Not everyone does in real life, not everyone does in FM.  I'd also ask over what time period are you assessing this?  Donnarumma is, what, 19(?) at the start of a save, so you've been training him and giving him match time consistently for 11+ years?

There are never any guarantees that any given player will reach their potential.  All we can do is improve the chances of it happening.  We do this by: improving our staff and facilities over time; setting up decent training plans (both General Training and Individual); influencing player personalities through Mentoring and team mates in the same squad; giving players sufficient game time at a relevant level.

So unless you aren't doing these things, you aren't doing anything wrong apart from unnecessarily worrying that some players don't "complete their potential".  It's OK if they don't.

It's also worth noting that players can develop at different rates so you may see peaks and troughs, early developers or late bloomers.

Worth considering peak age as well. I have same ‘issue’ but prolly more related to grabbing a young stud and expecting him to peak at 22. The game says (think I saw it somewhere) keepers prime age is later than any other position. 

I always found playing as Liverpool that my goalkeepers didn't develop as much because I'd win a lot of matches by one or two goals, and because my keeper wasn't as involved in the match. That would always give me around 6.7/6.8 average rating for them, which is quite a low average for development. in terms of match performance, there's not much that you can do, except having a shakier defence, and if you keep a lot of clean sheets, a better keeper.

In terms of training, you need to have really high standards in terms of facilities, staff and development. Facilities and staff are pretty easy to figure out, but in terms of development, I find anyone training at less than 7.5 needs criticising, but you also need to pay attention as to what their training report says about their development, and have the corresponding chat with them about it.

24 minutes ago, Arsenal457 said:

Donnarumma I trained for about 8 years? Still on 3 star with a 3 and a half star potential 

Again, star ratings are largely based around the quality of your squad and your league. The stronger your squad becomes, the higher the threshold is for the top star ratings.

If Donnarumma was a 3* CA player when he arrived eight years ago and is still a 3* CA player now, but your squad is now full of elite players, that doesn't necessarily mean Donnarumma hasn't improved. Indeed, at the age of 27(?), and having played top-level football and trained in the very best facilities for so long, I would be surprised if he hadn't fulfilled most if not all his potential.

Also, match ratings for goalkeepers should probably be taken with a pinch of salt. They've been a bit off for a few FMs now.

yeah I really wouldn't worry about star ratings. got into a major problem in my save today because Leno retired (at age 36) out of nowhere at the start of the season. his replacement is already out on loan, so had to put this guy in. seems to be doing fine whilst only rated 2 1/2 stars.

also before bayern i was in charge of donnarumma at milan and he was doing good for me. they want 140 million for him though so no way I am signing him.

11 hours ago, Arsenal457 said:

They always fall at least 1 and a half stars short of there supposed to be max potential.

3 hours ago, Arsenal457 said:

Still on 3 star with a 3 and a half star potential

That's only half a star short of potential, not one and a half.  Not seeing much of an issue here?

Regardless, as I said above there are things we can do to help increase the chance of players reaching their potential (which Donna almost has here) but there are never guarantees.  Go through those things :thup:.

31 minutes ago, Filke said:

Point is that gigio isnt getting same stars for current and pot.

The point is there is no reason why he should, especially when we don't know what the OP's been doing to try to get players to reach their potential.  It's nice if players do achieve their potential of course, but it's by no means guaranteed and it's actually OK if they don't.

Just now, Arsenal457 said:

I know, but the goalkeepers don’t end up playing the best no matter if they lose potential or not.

How do you judge how well a goalkeeper is playing? Purely by his match ratings? As I've said previously, goalkeeper match ratings in FM19 are not particularly reliable.

Don't forget that even David De Gea makes a mistake every now and then. ;)

As long as those mistakes aren't happening regularly (and I'm not necessarily counting the mythical "getting beaten at the near post" as mistakes), then you can forgive them. The key player in my Shrewsbury team right now is my goalkeeper, who has the odd poor game but has single-handedly earned us so many points this season that we likely wouldn't be in promotion contention without him.

25 minutes ago, Arsenal457 said:

I know, but the goalkeepers don’t end up playing the best no matter if they lose potential or not.

Players cannot lose potential.  There used to be something in game if a player received a particularly nasty injury that may result in their potential dropping, but I've never seen it happen and not sure it's even in the game still.  Players do not lose potential even if their star rating drops.

19 minutes ago, Arsenal457 said:

I know that, but they tend to let in stupid goals or things they should get to.

What you are talking about here (and above) is a player's actual ability - ie., their attributes - and (possibly) your tactical system.  That's a whole different ball game.

So for example Donnarumma - what are his attributes like?  What does his coach report tell you about his "hidden" attributes?  Is he perhaps inconsistent or affected by pressure?  If everything checks out fine, then how come your defence are putting him into the position of making mistakes?  Or worse, why are you still employing him if he is so prone to error?

But then again, how are your results?  If you're winning, do these mistakes (and are they really that regular) actually matter?

14 hours ago, CFuller said:

How do you judge how well a goalkeeper is playing? Purely by his match ratings? As I've said previously, goalkeeper match ratings in FM19 are not particularly reliable.

Don't the match ratings influence development? I've always been frustrated that there's not more separating GK performances. You can't really pick them by form but have to watch and judge them carefully in match to tell if they're doing well or not.

12 hours ago, Cal585 said:

Don't the match ratings influence development? I've always been frustrated that there's not more separating GK performances. You can't really pick them by form but have to watch and judge them carefully in match to tell if they're doing well or not.

That’s what I always thought. Am I wrong? 

Archived