How To "Unsettle" A Player?

I'm sure it's a daft question but is "unsettling" a player simply just clicking 'Declare Interest' in a player frequently over a season, as well as scouting often - or is there something I'm missing to try to turn a player's head with interest over the course of a season and keep him away from other teams/contract renewals? Perhaps something I can have the DoF do too? Thanks.

If he's going straight in your starting lineup, when you do 'declare interest' do 'as top target'. Also, have your Director of Football watch him constantly, and get your higher profile players to talk to him (go onto "interaction" from their profile page). 

Making bids can also help - I managed to get Christian Pulisic in the first window for Manchester United by doing all of the above and making a ton of non-negotiatable bids (in retaliation for Peter Bosz going £100mil non-negotiable in three clicks), for half the price originally asked. It does tank your relationship with a manager though - I would always struggle if I'd wanted anyone else from Dortmund whilst Bosz was still there.

Interesting - I will use this. How often do u 'declare interest' though, without it becoming ridiculous? Every couple of weeks or every couple of months? 

Never considered getting a player to talk to them though, will give that a try.

3 hours ago, Snorks said:

Interesting - I will use this. How often do u 'declare interest' though, without it becoming ridiculous? Every couple of weeks or every couple of months? 

Never considered getting a player to talk to them though, will give that a try.

I think you only really need to do it once per window. That get's their attention. If there is a player you're looking to sign in an upcoming window, set them as top target, have them constantly scouted and keep putting low bids in. By the time the window roles around, they'll be begging to join the club and you can get them at a cut price fee.

32 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Another thing you can do is attend one of the team's matches, which will cause press speculation about the transfer and put pressure on them.

Thanks for providing that tip. Haven’t done that myself.

8 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Also, have your Director of Football watch him constantly, and get your higher profile players to talk to him (go onto "interaction" from their profile page). 

By 'watch him' do you mean have the DoF do a standard scout report on him personally, or is there a way to have the DoF attend his club's matches like the club manager can do? thanks.

48 minutes ago, Colonel Getafe said:

By 'watch him' do you mean have the DoF do a standard scout report on him personally, or is there a way to have the DoF attend his club's matches like the club manager can do? thanks.

Yeah when you choose who scouts him, you can choose between 100% knowledge, 1, 2, or 3 months, 1, 2, or 3 games. I usually do the latter, repeatedly, until I either sign the player or sign someone else in his position.

1 hour ago, Spurs08 said:

Another thing you can do is attend one of the team's matches, which will cause press speculation about the transfer and put pressure on them.

Have you ever attended a match and actually found the player you want to scout in the team? Whenever I attend a match, the player isn't even in the squad - I even watched Spurs v Arsenal when I was in for Dele Alli on a save, and he wasn't in the squad (was fully fit, no suspensions etc.)

15 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Have you ever attended a match and actually found the player you want to scout in the team? Whenever I attend a match, the player isn't even in the squad - I even watched Spurs v Arsenal when I was in for Dele Alli on a save, and he wasn't in the squad (was fully fit, no suspensions etc.)

They knew you were coming - need a better disguise

14 minutes ago, Snorks said:

They knew you were coming - need a better disguise

Going full Napoleon and surrounding myself with giants (my current Manchester United midfield - Matic, Milinkovic-Savic, Pogba) probably isn't helping me blend in

i need to do this with lewis cook... i'm his home town and supported club and i still can't unsettle him. bournemouth want 140 million for him... i got it down to about 87 with clauses :lol:

hoping i can unsettle him, im willing to pay about 30-40 which i think is fair, they dont even play him ad hes one of the best england midfielders on the game in a couple more seasons usually. don't want to hijack the thread but any tips i can use apart from tempting him with my players?

Does repeatedly scouting and attending matches work for the players that aren't interested in joining your club? Could it change their mind, or does that work only for cases when other clubs are not willing to sell?

21 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

Does repeatedly scouting and attending matches work for the players that aren't interested in joining your club? Could it change their mind, or does that work only for cases when other clubs are not willing to sell?

I believe if the player is flat out not interested, it doesn't work, however if the player is kinda interested then it can help

This can work if the player is interested.  I managed to do this with Harry Kane and Dybala (I'm Liverpool) took me about a year of declaring interest and watching them.  but eventually I got them for 80m each.  If I remember correctly the initial starting price was about 180m for each or similar.....

But sometimes the player is just not interested and then there is not much you can do :(  

First season, Celtic wanting 45-50 mil for Tierney. Pffft

Couple of low offers, back and forth, declared interest two or three times, made him Top Target for a period outside the window. At end of season, not only Tierney wanted to come to me, but half the Celtic squad fell out with O'Niell over not letting him leave according to press.

Got him for 19mill, five year deal with optional extension!

2 hours ago, Colonel Getafe said:

And now I've just discovered the down side of over-playing the unsettling game: the owning club decide to over your target a new contract and the price goes up 50%. Bugger. 

Yup - that happens.

As soon as you hear they offered a contract throw a reasonable bid in - if you are lucky you can screw up their wage structure by forcing them into paying him higher wages and weaken their power in other areas of the squad. Never know who you might get on the cheap because they have to adjust the wage bill.

17 hours ago, Snorks said:

Yup - that happens.

As soon as you hear they offered a contract throw a reasonable bid in - if you are lucky you can screw up their wage structure by forcing them into paying him higher wages and weaken their power in other areas of the squad. Never know who you might get on the cheap because they have to adjust the wage bill.

On my current save, I've just done this with Bakayoko. Had him on loan, did the whole unsettling thing to try and get him cheap. They gave him a new contract with ridiculous wages, couple that with the fact they just spent 150ish mill on two more midfielders and I've just signed Kanté for 21 mil. Bargain!

Kante for 21mil? What year are you in? I would snap that up like a shot as well.

AC Milan (my currrent save) are so financially tight I only ever get about 40mil transfer budget and 20% of sales each year so only ever really one player a season who is at first team level.

Mind you, just had August window close and board say I've been so good with budgets the are giving me 100% of transfer income - now that I can;t sell anyone - but looking at forecasts still got payments due on Bonucci, so they will take that away again in December when payment is due.

21 minutes ago, Snorks said:

Kante for 21mil? What year are you in? I would snap that up like a shot as well.

AC Milan (my currrent save) are so financially tight I only ever get about 40mil transfer budget and 20% of sales each year so only ever really one player a season who is at first team level.

Mind you, just had August window close and board say I've been so good with budgets the are giving me 100% of transfer income - now that I can;t sell anyone - but looking at forecasts still got payments due on Bonucci, so they will take that away again in December when payment is due.

Just about to go into the 2020/21 season with my Gillingham side. We finished 2nd in the Prem last season where Chelsea finished 6th, so I think the fact I have CL football has also helped. 

If I were you, I'd offer out some of your 'deadwood' now if you have any, or any players you want to get rid of. That way you can at least expect to get 100% of that in time for the Jan window.

Actually don't really have any other than a few lingering souls in the u18/u20 squads. Perhaps one of the four strikers but I am trying to develop a more attacking tactic to get use out of them anyway (hence keeping Bacca and Lapadula when they came back off loan)

I am quite pleased with the squad set up I have, every position  has two players covering it, no more, all good players with a few youngsters coming through. The 3 from 12-sub rule in Serie A makes it much easier to blood youngsters in first team matches. A strong u20s squad for extra cover as and when needed.

It's just any purchases I would like to make for the first team we are looking at top-quality players who all seem to be going for/valued at 50+ mil which is a massive chunk of what would realistically be a 60mil budget maximum after sales. 

Losing Suso to Man City last window with a release fee of 45mil was gutting, as I only got a 10 mil boost to the budget from the sale, and had to find a replacement for our seasons best performer.

It's a tough balancing act, keeping the best players happy when clubs seriously challenging for European honours are coming in for them - somehow managed to keep hold of Conti when Barca came calling and unsettled him, but resigned to losing him probably next window. Feels like I am in the transfer market purely to replace players rather than build up a club with better players

The way the club is set up at start of game the finances are very limited - flirting with FFP and lower budgets forcing a club the size of AC Milan into becoming a selling club when they should, I think, be challenging for Champs League and knocking Juve off their perch - but then  I guess that's why I'm there!

Archived