32 minutes ago, kozmik said:

I did keep a save but the problem is that the takeover was already underway, transfer embargo in place etc. so I don't think there is any way I could've kept the job, except maybe by winning every game until the decision was made. Now THAT would've taken a lot of reloading :lol:

Yeah, that's just a rough situation.  At least with the small DB and only two leagues, the holiday is a quick one to get to November. :)

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So FMT is a bit different in that when you start there are no things to tick/ un-tick and there's no option for 'home-grown status' when looking at your players, but I'm still in.

e60814d980ede27fa144a7b890c5bdaa.png

That was the closest reputation I could get.

0d8d69c5a99de17dbb4e07acfd540434.png 

0fd63d14c14f006227de488d8dd0306f.png

England with a small database leaves me with 5,000 players.

08b9e8bd7ba87edf06d1cd1cb0fe8860.png

b2c7201129001578c5404718eec780b4.png

27be219284154f549f7670e1ebf431ab.png

Not a great start.

We have one player in the first team who's classed as home grown and that's Phillip Billing as well as 13 players in the reserve team, since this is FMT there are no youth teams and youth intakes are much smaller.

2 hours ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

So FMT is a bit different in that when you start there are no things to tick/ un-tick and there's no option for 'home-grown status' when looking at your players, but I'm still in.

e60814d980ede27fa144a7b890c5bdaa.png

That was the closest reputation I could get.

0d8d69c5a99de17dbb4e07acfd540434.png 

0fd63d14c14f006227de488d8dd0306f.png

England with a small database leaves me with 5,000 players.

08b9e8bd7ba87edf06d1cd1cb0fe8860.png

b2c7201129001578c5404718eec780b4.png

27be219284154f549f7670e1ebf431ab.png

Not a great start.

We have one player in the first team who's classed as home grown and that's Phillip Billing as well as 13 players in the reserve team, since this is FMT there are no youth teams and youth intakes are much smaller.

That all looks great, @Makoto Nakamura -- as I mentioned above, the academy player is more of a "flavor" thing, as obviously United and Fergie's youth record are so amazing.   Especially with FMT, the important thing is that you are doing your best to stay to the spirit of the challenge, and I don't think anyone can ask more than that of anyone.  It's not like we're are competing for cash prizes here. :D

Your reputation level is the correct one, so everything looks great!  Glad to have you involved in the challenge, and I'll add you to the active board now.  

Best of luck with the Terriers! :D

The Joy of FMT and a fast computer - End of Season 1 - 2017/18

Fixtures 1 - Fixtures 2

99fc6cd987708c0db12c562c1a44d33e.png

An amazing first season of the challenge with a home win over Arsenal and away wins over both Liverpool and Man City! We were very lucky to qualify for the Europa League as Everton were in both the FA Cup Final and the Europa League Final, they lost the Europa League final 3-1 aet and they lost 2-0 to Man City in the FA Cup Final! :D 

df090eb7c8b962285458d73ac2d6ee97.png

We had a player in the Premier League Team of the Year!

fc738e07af31f147ec85aa35fb1fdf67.png70d4045ae9757e1ec364a66c9af3d415.pngaffc34f05497442a8eded253b92718ec.png

dd8d3a7fef1a6f2731bda72a25767890.png

3fbbdc0efcadb096c0d02b701f6b18fd.png

3 players that are home-grown played this season with Philip Billing starting the majority of matches and when he was injured or suspended then Jordan Williams played in the First XI.

daf2a2e26585d796f101be6986f0aa91.png

No players in and only very minor sales. I'm going to try and keep transfer fees low and not break Sir Alex Ferguson's transfer record of £30.75m for Dimitar Berbatov, I don't know if I'll be able to stick to it but we'll see!

Best XI

a0665b7bb64edb6f64d390eb3f05de46.png

Jonas Lössl

Mathias Jørgensen - Terence Kongolo - Christopher Schindler

Florent Hadergjonaj                                                                                     Chris Löwe

Aaron Mooy - Danny Williams

Colin Quaner - Steve Mounié - Elias Kachunga

64134e99661106d199c7e8cd234c9996.png

Congrats on a quality first season, @Makoto Nakamura!

I was going to make Alex's transfer records per player and per season part of the challenge, but I felt that the market has changed so drastically, that it might limit people on saves.   I guess it all depends on how much the financials change in the 15th-25th years of the challenge, but I didn't want to take a chance as a requirement.  I'm definitely trying to keep my numbers down as well. :)

Southampton are still in Europe for me this first season, but I really don't think I'll qualify in the first season.  I think I'm 13-15 points out of qualification with like 14 fixtures remaining, so it'll be tough for me to do... but I guess not impossible.  I thought I had a really good shot at a first trophy after the First Leg of the EFL Cup Semi, leading 2-1, but Chelsea beat me 3-0 at Stamford Bridge to end that run one step short of Wembley. :( 

You may want to prioritize the FA Cup more than normal early on, as the first milestone is winning the FA Cup within four seasons.  Especially how quickly you got through that season, I want to make sure you remember that. :D 

Great season!

(EDIT: I really like your challenge scoreboard at the bottom, too!)

Edited by jaysdailydose

Wow, @Makoto Nakamura.

To think I was about to post about how I think I might avoid relegation this season, and was happy about it after a change of tactic lol, and you've got Europa League from a much worse position than I was in :D 

17 hours ago, jaysdailydose said:

Congrats on a quality first season, @Makoto Nakamura!

I was going to make Alex's transfer records per player and per season part of the challenge, but I felt that the market has changed so drastically, that it might limit people on saves.   I guess it all depends on how much the financials change in the 15th-25th years of the challenge, but I didn't want to take a chance as a requirement.  I'm definitely trying to keep my numbers down as well. :)

Southampton are still in Europe for me this first season, but I really don't think I'll qualify in the first season.  I think I'm 13-15 points out of qualification with like 14 fixtures remaining, so it'll be tough for me to do... but I guess not impossible.  I thought I had a really good shot at a first trophy after the First Leg of the EFL Cup Semi, leading 2-1, but Chelsea beat me 3-0 at Stamford Bridge to end that run one step short of Wembley. :( 

You may want to prioritize the FA Cup more than normal early on, as the first milestone is winning the FA Cup within four seasons.  Especially how quickly you got through that season, I want to make sure you remember that. :D 

Great season!

(EDIT: I really like your challenge scoreboard at the bottom, too!)

Thanks Jay, I've only spent money on one player in the pre-season on a much needed goalkeeper, I'll try to stick to low fees throughout the seasons, here's my first transfer window:

2bc137b2a66ff6388a2226a41ca317a7.png

We've qualified for the Europa League group stage after beating Maccabi Petach-Tikva 9-2, OB 3-1 and Olympiakos 5-0 on aggregate, we're grouped with CS U Craiova, PAOK and Valencia so hopefully we can qualify for the 1st Knockout Round. That sucks about the League Cup. :(

I'll try to use my best team for the FA Cup else I'll be screwed over further down the line and only get a yellow card completion. :lol:

Glad you like the scoreboard too!

16 hours ago, theonets said:

Wow, @Makoto Nakamura.

To think I was about to post about how I think I might avoid relegation this season, and was happy about it after a change of tactic lol, and you've got Europa League from a much worse position than I was in :D 

Well we've already managed to lose 5-2 against Liverpool this season so maybe it won't be plain sailing. :lol: Good luck with Watford!

I'll definitely be following your save with great interest, @Makoto Nakamura!

For those that don't know who Makoto is, he is the author of one of the greatest challenge stories in the history of these forums.  Here's a link from the thread, all the way back in 2011: 

Makoto Nakamura's Ultimate San Marino Challenge

Just so everyone realizes why I was so pleased that he joined our challenge.   Even though I think my chances of being the "best" completion went by the wayside when he got involved. :)  

It is an awesome read, so check it out!  

1 hour ago, jbutton said:

UiUzb2V.jpg

vCkGYvR.jpg

No summer signings made which means I have 60m to play with in January, hopefully we can finish top half this season and have a good cup run.

Welcome to the challenge, @jbutton!   Best of luck with Southampton, it will be nice to have someone else playing Southampton to compare my progress with! 

Adding you to the board now!  Good luck!

Not played much so far, but currently on 17 points in 17 games.

In context, I haven't lost in 4 games, since the two Man City defeats. 

Amrabaat has a future transfer arranged, so I'm hoping to get in Ashley Young, who is a former Watford academy graduate, he's currently on the list at Man United. The main reason I'm getting him in is that Watford have zero good prospects, the only somewhat good prospect is out on loan and not mine. I've had to play Sesay a bit, who is a youth academy right back, who is absolutely atrocious attacking, but can somewhat defend. I thought it'd be a bit unfair if I just keep him on the bench and never play, and we actually won the game he started which was nice :D 

Edited by theonets

11 (10 League+ 1 cup) games in to the save, 21 games total

Table.thumb.jpg.bc0b62cd263794907d11797902ada943.jpg

Transfers.thumb.jpg.7733d687dbc392aa29081a4c5c1726ba.jpg

schedule.thumb.jpg.6328b2dc02b23416d5b5ecc28891baf7.jpg

I am proudest of that draw against Tottenham before the Leicester game. Look at the dates. I played mu U21 and U18 squad against Tottenham, not a single first team player, and I've got to say, not even my first team has defended that well all season so far.

On the table, I think I'm starting to get away from relegation trouble, and after United, I have a run of winnable games till Chelsea. 

33 minutes ago, theonets said:

Not played much so far, but currently on 17 points in 17 games.

In context, I haven't lost in 4 games, since the two Man City defeats. 

Amrabaat has a future transfer arranged, so I'm hoping to get in Ashley Young, who is a former Watford academy graduate, he's currently on the list at Man United. The main reason I'm getting him in is that Watford have zero good prospects, the only somewhat good prospect is out on loan and not mine. I've had to play Sesay a bit, who is a youth academy right back, who is absolutely atrocious attacking, but can somewhat defend. I thought it'd be a bit unfair if I just keep him on the bench and never play, and we actually won the game he started which was nice :D 

It may be unfair, but you can do it. :) 

I understand, though... if you are going to have a player in every matchday squad, you want to give him a runout.  Even though he is literally just pixels and data, they appear to have emotions, too. ;)  

I'm getting closer to the end of S1 myself, I've got 34 points from 27 fixtures, sitting 11th in the table currently.  About to play the second leg of the First Knockout Round against Feyenoord.  It's at our place, and it is 3-3 on aggregate, so at least we've got the away goals advantage.  It was definitely a crazy first leg.

Just had a draw with Ipswich in the fifth round of the FA Cup, after the first leg... so the fatigue cost me, and now it'll cost me more with a replay giving me another fixture. :(  At least the lads are competing.

My transfer window was bringing in Harry Maguire and two wonderkids, Thiago Maia and Kai Havertz.  Havertz has literally been a revelation.  5 starts in the Prem, averaging 7.8 with 4 goals and two made -- and won't even be 18 until June.  I also have a player coming in the summer in Jetro WIllems from PSV... to either take Bertrand's job, or at least provide him competition.  He hasn't been good in the Prem at all, only 2 assists in 24 EPL starts, and a 6.82 rating.  His personality is great, and I expected him to be a leader both on and off the pitch -- but it hasn't worked out that way.  I wind up cursing him half the time.

10 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

My transfer window was bringing in Harry Maguire and two wonderkids, Thiago Maia and Kai Havertz.  Havertz has literally been a revelation.  5 starts in the Prem, averaging 7.8 with 4 goals and two made -- and won't even be 18 until June.  I also have a player coming in the summer in Jetro WIllems from PSV... to either take Bertrand's job, or at least provide him competition.  He hasn't been good in the Prem at all, only 2 assists in 24 EPL starts, and a 6.82 rating.  His personality is great, and I expected him to be a leader both on and off the pitch -- but it hasn't worked out that way.  I wind up cursing him half the time.

Sounds great. No real youth prospect seems to want to join Watford at the moment sadly :D

I guess we have a worse reputation than Southampton in that regard. Honestly, for this season, my only real hope of anything big is the luck of the draw in the FA Cup

On this though, if I survive this season, I'll be very disappointed if I get Watford relegated somehow after that. We seem stable enough now

Edited by theonets

Have had an excellent January. I think it's time to look above, instead of down below.

Table.thumb.jpg.09df97b6fc373652c4e7827c6eba4ad2.jpg

11th, well off relegation, and still got two easy-ish games to go

schedule.thumb.jpg.4e31b17ea9c1ff1851d79c39d84e345c.jpg

Have drawn Newcastle in the next round of the FA Cup, buzzing for that as well. I won't say we're favourites since Newcastle are the best of the Championship, but it's still going to be good.

I've got some amazing transfer business done

Transfers.thumb.jpg.7d91c4e9c1543b7c8b2a1844f66cad4a.jpg

Swift is joining us next season, since he's gone out on loan back to them.

Swift.thumb.jpg.9730e876e41e39628318663779172305.jpg

I like the look of him, and I'm trying to go the whole youth thing, but with English players, and trying to keep transfer fees down.

But this isn't the business I'm proud of, it's this one ;)

Allison.thumb.jpg.de618f5ecf9b97242a6d9ae0a8833c21.jpg

With Gomes aging, this is the perfect transfer for next season, and pretty cheap too, since he was transfer listed on request. About 13 million, but a lot of it is bound up over a long period of time

On the last day though, Behrami threw a strop over a rejected bid and forced me to sell. Annoying, since he was our best midfielder and I could only get 3 million for him -_-

Edited by theonets

Our first youth intake at Southampton is definitely an excellent one.  I had requested that the board invest in our junior coaching earlier in the season, and the "Exceptional" coaching seems to have played a nice part, even if some tutoring will be in order.   Definitely want to recognize the contributions of our new Head of Youth Development, Tony Carr, who built himself an iconic career as West Ham's HoYD over a 40+ year period!

Enough of my yakking, here's my first intake:

IntakeText.thumb.jpg.ab33809e2854a8bb1e319e08c6c9bedd.jpg

YouthIntake.thumb.jpg.d14f22da25034c4ddc16c79c66a564bd.jpg

Josh Chudy lived up to his billing in the e-mail, scoring the lone goal in the match against our U18 team.  Let us hope it is the first winner of many in his career!

I must admit, even though I play attacking football, nothing makes me happier than quality central defenders -- especially two 5* prospects in the same intake.  

Stopping here, my seasonal update will be right around the corner.

Couldn't bring myself to do this with Swansea, thinking I'll do a different challenge bringing them back from relegation at another time. So instead, since they have one of my favorite players in Joe Allen, we're giving Stoke a try.

kIjHvxX.png

jHOsIP2.png

Edited by Tecmo

7 minutes ago, Tecmo said:

Couldn't bring myself to do this with Swansea, thinking I'll do a different challenge bringing them back from relegation at another time. So instead, since they have one of my favorite players in Joe Allen, we're giving Stoke a try.

kIjHvxX.png

jHOsIP2.png

Welcome to the challenge!  Adding you to the board now!

On 20/05/2018 at 18:47, kozmik said:

I did keep a save but the problem is that the takeover was already underway, transfer embargo in place etc. so I don't think there is any way I could've kept the job, except maybe by winning every game until the decision was made. Now THAT would've taken a lot of reloading :lol:

I feel you, and the same happened to me. I think Newcastle is a club to steer away from. The problem is that there is most likely a board takeover, and given that you have to take over them in 19th you are bound to get sacked after the takeover.

Well, I've reached February.

1332026455_SAFJan2018Table.thumb.jpg.8a42baec4d518e30bfd9351d1d20a18f.jpg

A really good run of form, culminating in a 2-0 win over Manchester City and being pegged back in the 92nd minute in a 3-3 draw with Arsenal.

127662492_SAFJan2018Transfers.thumb.jpg.3b90c81986951f37a7fbf2d42070b5f6.jpg

We had serious deficiencies at right back and up front which I tried to address. However, the sale of Zaha (who didn't fit into my tactical setup brilliantly) meant that I could also address the middle of the park which is relying on loans atm. 

The Palace youth team is awful, but Giovanni McGregor has been in every squad, barring a few games out injured. In his stead, Nya Kirby came in.

Edited by Deisler26

The Earls quest to over achieve Sir Alex Ferguson

So its finally time for me to do some updates here. I have thought a bit about how to do it, and I will try a month by month basis for the first and second seasons. Then I will gradually take more time between updates. I am a bit into my game, so there will be some rapid updates today. Sorry for this, but will try to update more "live" later if I find time to write the actual updates.

I haven't found a good way to always prove I have an academy (home grown) player in my match squad, but for the beginning I will write it by text and hope thats ok. 

The first season, sees Tom Davies and Wayne Rooney as homegrown players. Mason Holgate will join that rank from the second season.

The board expectations was to avoid relegation, and reach certain Cup criteria

1723079354_Boardexpecatitions.thumb.png.cc2f24ad6d600206023d2b2b03dd4514.png

November 2017

18th Nov - Tottenham (A) - 6-0 WIN

Goals from: Theo Walcott, Dominic Calvert-Lewin (3) and Cenk Tosun (2)

A crazy start to my management, we went rampant again Spurs. Getting the first goal was key, as was Jordan Pickford saving twice from the Penalty spot to Harry Kanes frustration. Tom Davies was unused sub.

23rd Nov - Villareal (A) - 1-1 DRAW

Goal by: T.Walcott

A decent match, that was very vital for us to have a chance to proceed in the Europa League. Wayne Rooney came on as a late sub.

26th Nov - West Brom (H) - 1-1 DRAW

Not the best match, as we needed 3 points in every home game against weaker or similar opposition. Tom Davies came on as a sub.

29th Nov - Watford (H) - 3-3 DRAW

Goals from: T.Walcott, Ashely Williams and an own goal.

We where down twice but came back, then went 3-2 up before conceding a late equalizer. Agonizing as 6 points was what I hoped for from the 3 games in PL, and we only got 5 after getting the 3 points I didn't calculated in my "budget." Wayne Rooney came on as a sub.

League Table after November:

281806599_TabellNov.thumb.png.615065fe0246317fb7d48e3b59da4130.png

Fixture List:

1445839620_KamperNov.thumb.png.c3ece26df174d9f7ed63dbc4c11defd7.png

Fun facts:

1st ever goal scored by: Theo Walcott

Edited by TheEarl

So by the beginning of December, we where still in relegation spot. Some serious job where still to be done, and the team didn't seem to blend well with my tactic yet.

December 2017

2nd Dec - Newcastle (A) - 2-3 - LOSS

Goals from: C.Tosun and Oumar Niasse.

An awful match that displayed our defensive weaknesses. We where behind the whole time, and could never catch up. Tom Davies started the match.

7th Dec - Dinamo (H) - 2-0 - WIN

Goals from: T. Walcott and C.Tosun

We needed a win in our final group match of Europa League. We did just that after an average performance. Tom Davies started the match and Wayne Rooney came on as a sub.

10th Dec - West Ham (H) - 1-1 - DRAW

Goal by: Tom Davies

The academy player saved us, after West Ham got in front. Wayne Rooney also came on as a late sub. This is getting too many draws at home in games we really need to win.

13th Dec - Burnley (H) - 4-1 - WIN

Goals from: T.Walcott, D.Calvert-Lewin, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Davy Klaassen

Finally a great game, and a big win home to Burnley. This should give us some resting from the relegation zone. Tom Davies started the game.

16th Dec - Man.City (A) - 0-1 - LOSS

Some heavy fixtures going into Christmas with 3 difficult away games in a row. A fair win for City no doubt. Tom Davies started the game.

23rd Dec - Chelsea (A) - 0-2 - LOSS

Another difficult match, and I can't complain that Chelsea won. Most hurtful was the fact Ross Barkley rubbed salt in our wounds by scoring the second goal. Tom Davies and Wayne Rooney both started this game.

26th Dec - Leicester (A) - 3-2 - WIN

Goals from: D.Calvert-Lewin (2) and C.Tosun

A very important win indeed, as 3 losses in a row would have been disastrous. Both Tom Davies and Wayne Rooney came on as subs.

30th Dec - Huddersfield (H) - 2-2 - DRAW

Goals from: G.Sigurdsson and C.Tosun

We where 2-0 up after 9 minutes, and still couldn't win at home to Huddersfield, I felt like banging my head against the wall. Wayne Rooney came on as a late sub.

League table after December:

1314693445_TabellDec.thumb.png.81957b93ad69daf4d89bab40fe805851.png 

At least above relegation, but climbing the table went slower than I had hoped for.

Fixture list:

66114461_KamperDec.thumb.png.f1083b2ef3af2d922361b1a7cd3f4f2d.png

Fun facts:

Edited by TheEarl

Sitting only in 17th spot with just 17 matches to go, meant we had to do some serious business in last half of the season. The board gave some cash to burn in the January window, and I spent some of it but only bought one player. Bruno Henrique joined from Santos for 9,75M pounds. He was injured when joining late in January, so he didn't play any matches this month.

1187980312_BudgetJan.thumb.png.e91db0dec1875c5152eb2ea0cb9effaf.png

January 2018

1st Jan - Arsenal (A) - 3-3 - DRAW

Goals from: Wayne Rooney and C.Tosun (2)

I really thought we had this game in the bag. 2-0 and 3-1 up, but Aubameyang and Lacazette wanted it elsewhere. In the end, we had to be happy with an unexpected point. Both Wayne Rooney and Tom Davies started the match.

7th Jan - Norwich (A) - 1-1 DRAW (FA-Cup)

Goal by: C.Tosun

We left it ooh so late. Only 3 minutes from elimination, but Cenk saved us. Tom Davies was an unused sub.

13th Jan - Brighton (H) - 1-1 - DRAW

Goal by: own goal

A really boring match that could have gone either way. Tom Davies was an unused sub.

17th Jan - Norwich (H) - 3-1 - WIN (FA-Cup)

Goals from: D.Calvert-Lewin, G.Sigurdsson and T.Walcott

A fine display at home to Norwich, to secure a place in the 4th round of FA-Cup. The board wanted us to reach at least the 5th round. Tom Davies was an unused sub.

20th Jan - Stoke (A) - 3-0 - WIN

Goals from: T.Walcott (2) and D.Calvert-Lewin

Finally the team plays more like I want them to. We where in control the whole match. Tom Davies was an unused sub.

27th Jan - Bolton (H) - 3-0 WIN (FA-Cup)

Goals from: T.Walcott (2) and Benoit Tremoulinas

We took an early lead, but had Seamus Coleman sent off with 83 mins to play. Still we could win fairly easy even with 10 men. Tom Davies and Wayne Rooney both came on as subs.

31st Jan - Man.Utd. (H) - 1-1 - DRAW

Goal by: W.Rooney

Wayne Rooney came on as a sub, and made no mistake from the penalty spot in stoppage time to save our day.

League Table end of January:

870042072_TabellJan.thumb.png.cb5727f94895df85a9f7267bb9e1e2c8.png

Finally we had climbed to 14th and out of the danger zone.

Fixture list:

203867870_KamperJan.thumb.png.e9224339feb7f646c06aae2289b8e5fa.png

Fun facts:

After an unbeaten month in January, we finally wanted to make some real progress in the league.

February 2018

3rd Feb - Southampton (H) - 2-1 - WIN

Goals from: James McCarthy and T.Walcott

A nice solid win at home this time. Tom Davies and Wayne Rooney started the match.

10th Feb - Swansea (A) - 0-4 - LOSS

A disaster of a match, but little would I know we would go on to a 10 match unbeaten run in the league. Wayne Rooney came on as a sub.

15th Feb - Ajax (H) - 4-2 - WIN

Goals from: T.Walcott, C.Tosun (2) and T.Davies

A nice home win against Ajax, but I feared the away goals might be a drawback in the second leg. Tom Davies and Wayne Rooney both came on as subs, Davies scored.

18th Feb - Stoke (H) - 2-0 - WIN (FA-Cup)

Goals by: D.Calvert-Lewin (2)

A safe home win in the FA-Cup, would set up a Quarter Final against Man.Utd. Tom Davies started the match, and Wayne Rooney came on as a sub.

22nd Feb - Ajax (A) - 2-1 - WIN

Goals from: D.Calvert-Lewin and Idrissa Gueye.

A nice 6-3 win on aggregate, so my fears didn't matter. Tom Davies and Wayne Rooney where unused subs.

25th Feb - Liverpool (A) - 2-1 - WIN

Goals from: D.Calvert-Lewin and D.Klaassen

A famous Merseyside Derby win at Anfield. Klaassen came on as a sub to decide the game. Tom Davies was an unused sub.

League Table at the end of February:

24040955_TabellFeb.thumb.png.7e6a333d7cf1430e389eb05f28f8ae0e.png

13th spot now, but closer to the teams in front.

Fixture list:

999382290_KamperFeb.thumb.png.4f1101a44b8195d8742bf066012da0d2.png

Fun facts:

50th ever goal scored by: Idrissa Gueye

The month of March started with the youth intake. Not the best overall, and I made the board promise to invest more in this category in the future. Our best player looks like Chris Wilkie who can be a decent striker in the future.

971348263_ChrisWilkie.thumb.png.8fb53ff0fc708c8fcbb844cb945373ee.png461020440_YouthCandidates.thumb.png.6f4e89cd2854e46683008e72eef64cc0.png

Slowly we are climbing the table. The deficit for Europa spot seems too far though. We are still in the FA-Cup, and also in Europa League, but for sure there will be too strong teams there eventually.

March 2018

3rd Mar - Bournemouth (H) - 3-0 - WIN

Goals from: T.Walcott, I.Gueye and Bruno Henrique

Great match at home to Bournemouth, always in control. Tom Davies came on as a sub, and good to see our signing scoring a goal.

8th Mar - Atalanta (A) - 3-0 - WIN

Goals from: C.Tosun, D.Calvert-Lewin and an own goal.

Amazing start to the 2nd round of Europa League. Home game feels like it will be a walk in the park. Tom Davies was an unused sub.

11th Mar - Crystal Palace (H) - 2-0 - WIN

Goals from: T. Walcott, C.Tosun

Where we in the beginning would draw these matches, we know have the ability to decide these games. Another win in a good string of results now. Wayne Rooney came on as a sub.

15th Mar - Atalanta (H) - 2-1 - WIN

Goals by: B.Henrique (2)

5-1 on aggregate, it was a really easy progress to the Quarter Finals of Europa League. Wayne Rooney came on as a sub again.

18th Mar - Man.Utd. (H) - 2-2 (2-3 pens) - LOSS

Goals from: T.Walcott and B.Henrique

It was nearly the perfect month, all that separated us was a Fergie-time own goal by Michael Keane. We where 2-0 up before Lukaku made it 2-1. Then we held on, but deep into stoppage time the disaster struck. In extra time I have to admit United where the better team, but we would have deserved so much more. In penalty shoot out, we where horrific. Wayne Rooney came on as a sub.

31st Mar - Tottenham (H) - 3-0 - WIN

Goals from: G.Sigurdsson, J.McCarthy and Niclas Bendtner

Bendtner was the last transfer from the former manager, he finally scored a goal as we yet again won easily against Spurs. Spurs would in the end only finish 8th in the league. Wayne Rooney was an unused sub.

League Table at the end of March:

545058008_TabellMar.thumb.png.2a2f7e71194f7c2826d35f49daafa969.png

11th now in the league, and still possible to climb a bit. Sadly out of FA-Cup, but still running in Europa League.

Fixture list:

1456026149_KamperMar.thumb.png.95e050f0a9a5482bad5f84dc585a35d8.png

Fun facts:

Going into April, Swansea had already won the League Cup so a maximum of 6 teams would qualify for Europa via Premier League. That meant in reality, Europa League was the only thing we had to play for. I wanted a nice league position for our reputation, and to not loose our best players, but I would rest players where needed to perform in Europa League.  Arsenal, Dortmund and Olympique Marseille where all knocked out, while we had to face Monaco in the Quarter Final.

April 2018

5th Apr - Monaco (A) - 4-3 - WIN

Goals from: B.Henrique, T.Walcott, I.Gueye and N.Bendtner

We where 3-0 and 4-1 up, but lost concentration at the end. Still I fancied our chances after scoring 4 away goals. Wayne Rooney was an unused sub.

8th Apr - Newcastle (H) - 3-0 - WIN

Goals from: B.Henrique (2) and N.Bendtner

Sweet revenge from the loss earlier in the season, this was a game we always controlled. Wayne Rooney was once again an unused sub.

12th Apr - Monaco (H) - 4-3 - WIN

Goals from: T.Walcott (2), B.Henrique and N.Bendtner

Another high scoring game meant that we won 8-6 on aggregate. AC Milan lost to Lazio, so we got a Semi Final against Lazio coming up. Once again Wayne Rooney was an unused sub.

15th Apr - Watford (A) - 3-2 - WIN

Goals from: B.Henrique and C.Tosun (2)

Another good win in the league, and finally at the top half of the table. Wayne Rooney came on as a sub this time.

18th Apr - West Brom (A) - 1-1 - DRAW

Goal by: B.Henrique

Not a perfect month this time either, but we didn't loose. Too many games in short time was really the blame for this somewhat below par performance. Cenk missed a penalty, but a draw was justified. Wayne Rooney came on as a late sub.

22nd Apr - West Ham (A) - 3-2 - WIN

Goals from: B.Henrique, G.Sigurdsson and D.Calvert-Lewin

Back to our winning habit, the last goal from West Ham came 5 minutes into stoppage time, so we where very much in control for this one. Wayne Rooney was an unused sub.

26th Apr - Lazio (H) - 3-0 - WIN

Goals from: C.Tosun, D.Calvert-Lewin and N.Bendtner

What an amazing game. To win by 3 goals and without conceding at home is so vital in an European Semi Final. Could we actually win Europa League in my first season? Bendtners goal came in stoppage time, and could prove very vital indeed. Wayne Rooney was an unused sub.

League Table at the end of April:

569677781_TabellApr.thumb.png.7d4e2396eba491f9dbb4144370791962.png

Up to 7th position now after 2 unbeaten months in the league. However it would prove impossible to climb any further.

Fixture List:

1359872434_KamperApr.thumb.png.865a41bf34057a125edfecf96dc18057.png

Fun facts:

With Signing of players, Can you sign any loan players as well?

I have just done my 1st season with Brighton and kept them up but had to do some January selling (Knockart & Dunk) to get cash in to bulk my survival.

I now have £57 Million to spend and not sure who to get that will boost my team I need a 2 strikers and a centre mid. I signed a new keeper and 3 centre backs so far.

May 2018 and End of Season 1 update

Going into May, I knew that 7th position would be the best we could hope for. However we found ourselves only 180 minutes away from an amazing European glory. First we had to wrap up Lazio, and then take on the winner of Shakthar Donetsk and Real Sociedad.

May 2018

3rd May - Lazio (A) - 1-2 - LOSS

Goal by: B.Henrique

Lazio dominated for much of the game, but when Bruno Henrique scored 10 minutes from the end, it took the rest of the spirit out of the Italians. 4-2 win on aggregate meant we would play Shakthar in Lyon for the final of Europa League. Needless to say all preparations would be concentrated around this match. Wayne Rooney came on as a late sub.

6th May - Burnley (A) - 3-2 - WIN

Goals from: B.Henrique, C.Tosun and T.Walcott

After falling 0-1 down, we really took control of the match. 3 players got some minor injuries, so we had to rotate a bit during the game. Wayne Rooney came on as a sub.

9th May - Man.City (H) - 4-1 - WIN

Goals from: T.Walcott (3) and Michael Keane

The best match of the season by far. Walcott was everywhere, and agonizing the defense of City until Guardiola had no response. Wayne Rooney was an unused sub.

13th May - Chelsea (H) - 2-3 - LOSS

Goals from: Ramiro Funes Mori and B.Henrique

Heavily rotated the squad just days before the big final. Chelsea wanted to win more than us, and displayed class all over the pitch. Wayne Rooney started the match.

16th May - Shakthar (N) - 4-1 - WIN

Goals from: I.Gueye, T.Walcott and C.Tosun (2)

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!! (Or at least a kind of champions! Juventus won Champions League by the way.) 

This game was really only about us, we where 3-0 up before Shakthar could make any kind of response. Wayne Rooney came on as a late sub.

Final League Table of 2017/18:

1139200183_TabellMai.thumb.png.df90a557867b82a3c8a0e75651a06e4c.png

Fixture List:

76150085_KamperMai.thumb.png.14830aba06129b6bf126746d1be9653e.png

Winning the Europa League:

714834539_EuropaLeague.thumb.png.e888bc1f1e1fc6ad8924b56995da1fef.png

All Competitions:

1595895660_CompetitionsSesong1.thumb.png.e95e0d805143b0b138169eeee2958533.png

Hall of Fame points in the game: 

1298983284_HoFSesong1.thumb.png.651f2bbe497ea7a75e523f346f95ad9d.png

Some various screenshots:

606134598_BoardMai.thumb.png.0861693c72798ff86f99847734523f40.png652994751_Endogseasonawards.thumb.png.8105459a9ea0053334cd4ad115bef8a8.png1218391371_Squadofseason.thumb.png.148b2791921ac37d1d5b68d803d83d2d.png1665844121_BestEleven.thumb.png.d9eb0aaebce67cd258e586665574d4c6.png

I only bought 1 player in the first season, here is proof of Transfer History:

392891261_Transferssesong1.thumb.png.5eb947eea8fe314514e3bd89286f36c9.png

Fun facts:

100th ever goal scored by: Theo Walcott

Overall statistics:

43 games played - 26 wins - 10 draws - 7 losses - 102 goals scored - 56 goals conceded - 60,47% win percentage

Challenge Progress

Domestic Titles

0/13 Premier League Titles

0/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles

0/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles

0/10 English Community Shield

European Titles

0/2 UEFA Champions League

1/1 UEFA Europa League - COMPLETED

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

0/2 FIFA Club World Championship

So now I am basically live in my updates. Was this too much? (Remember from the 3rd season I plan to maybe do Quarterly updates, and from the 4th or 5th season it will just be seasonal updates.)

What about fun facts or statistics, should it be more or less or just fine? More or less screenshots?

I believe this qualifies for some points in your HoF @jaysdailydose?

Edited by TheEarl

6 hours ago, Matt Cox said:

I have just done my 1st season with Brighton and kept them up but had to do some January selling (Knockart & Dunk) to get cash in to bulk my survival.

I now have £57 Million to spend and not sure who to get that will boost my team I need a 2 strikers and a centre mid. I signed a new keeper and 3 centre backs so far.

You can sign anyone you wish.

(Edit: to be fair, you should only sign players that your scout is able to scout.  You dont HAVE to scout them, but must be able to.  This should be really anyone with Prem clubs, though.)

Edited by jaysdailydose

5 hours ago, Matt Cox said:

One question, though... did you happen to take a screenshot of the league position on November 6, or your manager?  No huge deal if you didn't, we just like to confirm that everyone meets the challenge guidelines.  Adding you to the board now.  

23 hours ago, jaysdailydose said:

Welcome to the challenge, @jbutton!   Best of luck with Southampton, it will be nice to have someone else playing Southampton to compare my progress with! 

Adding you to the board now!  Good luck!

I failed, Saint relegated... Terrible players I hate them. I knew it was going to fail when in two games in a row i missed two penalties in one game... When we were winning someone would get sent off and then concede in the 90th minute. Signed Lamela and Phil Jones in january, Lamela scored in debut then immediately got sent off. Phil Jones was okay but got 2 reds and cost us. Lamela got sent off in his next game back after scoring again then got injured in training and missed the season. Best player was Redmond who also got injured for 3-4 months. Worst player hard to pick between Forster and Yoshida, at fault for too many goals I conceded. 

I am now managing Swansea.

DCX911i.jpg

9euzWcy.jpg

I was hoping for Swansea when I first started being a Welshman myself although there is a lack of options for homegrown acadamy players and therefore I have decided to choose Ben Cabango as he is Welsh.

Hopefully this one goes better lol

I was typing a response to several people when Windows 10 decided to reboot my CPU and update against my wishes.

@TheEarl your updates are fine, but obviously you don't have to do that much.  Welcome to do as much as you like, though.  I got your points and trophy added to the leaderboard before update started.

Those of you that are new or switching clubs, welcome, and I'll get you added to the board as soon as this Pele-forsaken update is finished.

Well, my update is now up to 14%.

While I had a minute, I just wanted to say a special THANK YOU to everyone who has gotten involved and helped us revive this awesome challenge.

I'm honestly shocked that we've been able to build this up so much already, and very pleased!  We are now closing in on fifteen challengers, and people are super engaged.

Now that people are starting to win trophies, it should get awful interesting!  Very excited to see what this grows into, especially into FM19 and beyond!

Thanks again to all challengers!

Edited by jaysdailydose

All new challengers have now been added to the active leaderboard, as well as those switching clubs due to sacking or relegation!

We have our first trophy won, congratulations go out to @TheEarl and Everton, for winning the 2017/18 UEFA Europa League!  Keep up the creditable progress, Earl!

We are now up to FIFTEEN COMPETITORS and certainly open for more, so don't hesitate to get involved while we are still in the early stages, folks!

Best of luck everyone, let us give Earl's Toffees a run for it, shall we?

Wow, @wynter, he certainly looks a player, doesn't he? :)  

I am thinking he will be a named wonderkid by the time he's 17 or so.  Nice job!  May I ask who your Head of Youth Development is?  I'm really liking Tony Carr with the intake I had.  Granted, I am on FM17, but I'm sure he's still just as great.  

Another really good one I've used in FM17 was Kristjaan Speakman.  He's a bit younger, so has room to improve.  All depends on your playing style, of course, as they both have amazing personalities.  

-----

Another one of my mini-updates, because, my goodness, what an exhilirating Europa League Quarter Final comeback win against Manchester City.  Pep is teetering on the edge of being fired, as they've had a pretty atrocious season. (Remember, I'm on FM17, so they hadn't completely built his complete side yet.)  

It was 2-1 to City going into the second leg at St. Mary's, with Charlie Austin having scored a late away goal in the first leg to give us hope.  And hope was a great thing, as he scored in the second leg as well!  We went on to win the second leg 3-1, with Romeu scoring an own goal with his face... which was pretty awful, as he is just returning from a broken jaw. :D  But, we held on, and kept ol' Peppy on the brink of the sack on the blue side of Manchester, by an aggregate final of 4-3.

ManCityEuropaWin.thumb.jpg.252b813e71e2c3a5171924ad84e301a3.jpg

Our reward?  A semi-final with the other side of Manchester.  Are you freaking kidding me?  Jose's side is currently in 2nd, 5 points behind Wenger's Arsenal -- but with two games in hand against them.  United has led the way nearly from wire-to-wire, but Arsenal has stayed tight, and went ahead with the extra fixtures.  Arsenal is currently on 82 points through 34 fixtures, with United on 77 through 32.

Monaco and Schalke were the other teams in the draw, so obviously I draw Jose's boys. :(  Although with it being FM17, I probably wanted to avoid Monaco as well... and I'm going to predict that they are going to advance to the Final over Schalke.

At least we are still in it, but this has been an immensely hard path to the UEFA Cup, and if I win it, I'll definitely deserve those 400 points to tie @TheEarl! :)

(EDIT: My previous knock-out fixtures were against Feyenoord and FC Midtjylland.)

Edited by jaysdailydose

10 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

Wow, @wynter, he certainly looks a player, doesn't he? :)  

I am thinking he will be a named wonderkid by the time he's 17 or so.  Nice job!  May I ask who your Head of Youth Development is?  I'm really liking Tony Carr with the intake I had.  Granted, I am on FM17, but I'm sure he's still just as great.  

Another really good one I've used in FM17 was Kristjaan Speakman.  He's a bit younger, so has room to improve.  All depends on your playing style, of course, as they both have amazing personalities.  

-----

Speakmann was my first signing in the game haha, absolute quality HOYD 

2 minutes ago, wynter said:

Speakmann was my first signing in the game haha, absolute quality HOYD 

Yeah, I have no complaints with Tony Carr.  I can't complain about two 5* potential, a 4.5* potential, two 3*'s, and four 2.5*'s. :)  

Speakman is a great HoYD, though, absolutely.  Usually Carr isn't available to me, so I went with him instead. 

10 hours ago, jaysdailydose said:

I was typing a response to several people when Windows 10 decided to reboot my CPU and update against my wishes.

@TheEarl your updates are fine, but obviously you don't have to do that much.  Welcome to do as much as you like, though.  I got your points and trophy added to the leaderboard before update started.

Those of you that are new or switching clubs, welcome, and I'll get you added to the board as soon as this Pele-forsaken update is finished.

Well I will stick with these updates for another season as long as it doesn't bother anyone. I think key to this challenge really is the start. If I can do well in season 2, I will shift to more quarterly updates. They will not include every match played, but more highlights of important matches and stuff happening around the club. Once I get those "mandatory in certain years achievements" done (if I can do them) , I will shift to seasonal updates.

I really feel winning FA-Cup in 4 seasons, and that treble is looking like the hardest part of the challenge...

Much like Swansea in real life I managed to turn things around pretty quickly, undefeated in my first 5 games but then an Injury outbreak saw me lose 7 of my starting 11 for 2 - 8 months and everything went downhill from there, no funds for January so only managed to sign Sam Byram for £2m (As much of a club legend as Angel Rangel is I couldn't bare to have him start anymore games) and with the other two teams in the relegation zone being Leicester and Everton it was always going to be tough to be the team that escaped.

So far I've had 8 Penalties across my two attempts at this challenge (5 with Saints, 3 with Swans) and I've missed them all. Back to the drawing board and time to bring Holiday Man out of retirement.

It shouldn't bother anyone at all.  I just figured you would want to play faster. :)

Not having a preseason or a summer window when you take over the side is a big deal.  So getting through Season 1 is absolutely going to be the key.  

Obviously, there are those landmarks, like you mention, that may be difficult.  I think it is one of the high points of this challenge, because everyone is going to be a success long-term with their club, if they aren't sacked Season 1... it is just "Will you come close to Fergie?" :D 

My league form has definitely stuttered a bit with advancing in Europe, but I'm on the plus side of a result right now, I just tabbed over because I heard the beep.  I'm honestly guessing I'll finish 11th, so it'll be creepy that I get the same position as Fergie did in 86/87. ;)  But we still have a few fixtures left.

Just now, jbutton said:

Much like Swansea in real life I managed to turn things around pretty quickly, undefeated in my first 5 games but then an Injury outbreak saw me lose 7 of my starting 11 for 2 - 8 months and everything went downhill from there, no funds for January so only managed to sign Sam Byram for £2m (As much of a club legend as Angel Rangel is I couldn't bare to have him start anymore games) and with the other two teams in the relegation zone being Leicester and Everton it was always going to be tough to be the team that escaped.

So far I've had 8 Penalties across my two attempts at this challenge (5 with Saints, 3 with Swans) and I've missed them all. Back to the drawing board and time to bring Holiday Man out of retirement.

Sorry to hear about your luck, @jbutton -- here's hoping you can solidify on your next attempt, you've had some rough luck.

Swans are one of the tougher teams, IMO, along with Huddersfield.  Here's hoping you can get a spot of luck with your holiday this time!

1 minute ago, jaysdailydose said:

Sorry to hear about your luck, @jbutton -- here's hoping you can solidify on your next attempt, you've had some rough luck.

Swans are one of the tougher teams, IMO, along with Huddersfield.  Here's hoping you can get a spot of luck with your holiday this time!

Bony scores 8 goals in 4 games then gets injured for 8 months :(  

Start of Season 2.

By winning the Europe League in the first season, we actually got a chance for a second trophy already in August 2018. A Super Cup Final against Juventus to be played in a small stadium in Estonia. 

There was a lot of transfer activity to be made, and I was a bit concerned that I shifted too much for team cohesion, but some changes had to be made. We got a hefty coffin of 110M pounds, but wages could only be slightly increased due to Premier League FFP. I will provide the transfer activity screenshot after the January window closes, but of course there is no activity involving Liverpool, our main rivals. I have "only" brought in 6 players so far, and 1 of them is a youngster who is not playing. So I could still get a few more faces in. Included in the players leaving (a lot of loanees) , 11 players sold, where Wayne Rooney, Leighton Baines and Ashley Williams. I desperately needed some defensive players as Eliaquim Mangala returned to Man.City after his loan spell.

I bought Arthur (a central midfielder) from Gremio, Alvaro Odriozola from Real Sociedad, Kieran Tierney from Celtic, Reece Oxford from West Ham, Dayout Upamecano from RB Leipzig and that youngster Job Doufikar from Heerenveen.

Home grown players this season are Tom Davies and Mason Holgate.

August 2018

14th Aug - Juventus (N) - 3-0 - WIN (Euro Super Cup Final)

Goals from: Arthur, B.Henrique and C.Tosun.

We went out with great pace and took control early in the game. Much to my surprise, Juventus where no match for us. Another title to our belt, just a few months after our last win. Tom Davies came on as a sub.

18th Aug - Hull (H) - 6-1 - WIN

Goals from: Sandro, B.Henrique, T. Walcott, Arthur and own goals (2)

Great start to the Premier League season with a smashing win over Hull. We where 5-1 up at half time, and put on the cruise control. Mason Holgate came on as a sub.

24th Aug - Man.Utd. (A) - 1-2 - LOSS

We took the lead early on, and gave United a good fight at Old Trafford. It wasn't to be this time though, as Martial and Lukaku scored for the Devils. In the end a deserved win for United. Mason Holgate once again came on as a sub.

League Table at the end of August:

8th position, but only 2 matches played.

Fixture list:

686728069_KamperAug.thumb.png.6a2fd961f6a315ad20fff33f5dda71e7.png

As you can see, we won all friendlies this season, including a match home to Real Madrid.

Proof of winning Super Cup:

2103606596_SuperCupsesong2.thumb.png.e84443ab758cc85862c4cb846a872ffe.png

This is my in game HoF now:

2144137418_HoFAugSesong2.thumb.png.b48464e56bdd9aa4efa323af70d74ee6.png

Fun facts:

100th ever goal scored by: Theo Walcott

Challenge Progress

Domestic Titles

0/13 Premier League Titles

0/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles