Full Back/Wing Back

Hello everyone. 👋🏻 

Could anybody explain me the differences between a full back and a wing back?

Currently I am using a formation which includes an IF(S) & WB(S) on the left side, and W(S) & FB(S) on the right side. What I want to achieve is to attack more often on the left flank, so this is why I am using a WB on the left. (as I think it is a more attacking role than a full back, please correct me if I am wrong.)

Check the in-game descriptions of the roles and compare the default instructions.

In general, a wingback is more attacking role than fullback if both are on the same duty. If they are on different duty, then it can be a little more cloudy cause it will depend also on the Team Shape you're using. More structured shapes will make FB-A more adventurous than WB-S for example.

Also, WB is a more technical role, expecting players to be able to dribble and contribute more in play higher up the pitch, compared to full backs who should just be an outlet to get the ball to, take a touch, and cross/pass the ball straight away. That's how it seems to me anyway, though it won't be the first time I've totally misunderstood roles and descriptions in this game lol!

Basically, I just think of wing backs as withdrawn wingers, and full backs as withdrawn wide midfielders, in an attacking phase anyway.

WB starts higher up the pitch, so even a WB with a defend duty will always look to get a bit forward as long as it's safe.

The WB game focuses more on running wide with the ball and dribbling, whereas the FB looks to support attacks with runs without ball and crosses from the byline.

Also consider the differences in the hardcoded TIs. E.g. FB(S) have Cross From Deep, while WB(S) have Get Further Forward. The are differences between attack/defend duties as well so keep an eye for that. I for example like to use WB(S) more, because of the hardcoded TI Get Further Forward they give me width and a better passing option as FB(S) who stay further back. I also don't want these players to cross from deeper positions or cross more what FB(A) would do, hence why I chose WBs.

Wing-backs will go further up the pitch. On Support and Attack role. Try a game and you will see the difference. I had a FB-Support and when the Winger got the ball and he could overlap the gigantic space on the wing, he stayed back. My wing-backs on attack will burst into the space, with or without the Look for Overlap TI. 

Full backs and Wingers

attacking wingers need full backs on support and your looking for the full back to put passes down the line for your winger so that you turn their defence

support wingers need full backs on attack because the full back running frees up the winger to cross otherwise the opponent will just mark your winger and you can’t go anywhere. Your looking for your winger to basically look like he can’t lose the ball if he’s always passing and crossing that’s good.

wing backs and inside forwards

attacking inside forwards need wing backs on support to keep the width to occupy the opponent giving so your inside forward can overload their center back at fat post. What your looking for is your wing back to keep possession and rarely cross. 

Support inside forwards need wing backs on attack for the same reason but your looking for your wing backs to cross now and your inside forwards to dribble inside. 

5 hours ago, TottenhamBoi90 said:

Full backs and Wingers

attacking wingers need full backs on support and your looking for the full back to put passes down the line for your winger so that you turn their defence

support wingers need full backs on attack because the full back running frees up the winger to cross otherwise the opponent will just mark your winger and you can’t go anywhere. Your looking for your winger to basically look like he can’t lose the ball if he’s always passing and crossing that’s good.

wing backs and inside forwards

attacking inside forwards need wing backs on support to keep the width to occupy the opponent giving so your inside forward can overload their center back at fat post. What your looking for is your wing back to keep possession and rarely cross. 

Support inside forwards need wing backs on attack for the same reason but your looking for your wing backs to cross now and your inside forwards to dribble inside. 

None of the above things are wrong, but at the same time, there are a million different ways to approach things. I like having two attack duties down the one wing some times, to cause overloads, sometimes I have both full backs on defend. You don't always have to balance your tactic out perfectly, to create something good.

3 hours ago, Torskus77 said:

None of the above things are wrong, but at the same time, there are a million different ways to approach things. I like having two attack duties down the one wing some times, to cause overloads, sometimes I have both full backs on defend. You don't always have to balance your tactic out perfectly, to create something good.

Yeah, fair point, well point

i wouldn’t have a winger with a wing back tho?

Archived