Franky's HUSTLER Tactic for FM 17 - updated for patch 17.3 P130 W115 D13 L2

Before the write up, I'll just say that this is the most consistent tactic I have ever created on any iteration of FM. In two seasons with Man United, played-130 won-115 drawn-13 lost-2

Won every competition in 2 seasons except for FA Cup first season, topping 100 points in the league both seasons with an overall 88% win percentage!!

sextuple.jpgimage hosting over 10mb

2_year_record.jpgimage hosting 10mb limit

This is basically version 2 of my TRIUMVIRATE tactic but there are a few team instruction changes as well as several player role changes and so the original write up for TRIUMVIRATE would not apply to this one, therefore I've decided to make a separate thread altogether. It's called HUSTLER because your team will hustle/press the opposition relentlessly to win the ball back. It's a 4312 formation and the main differences from the tactic dynamics of TRIUMVIRATE are as follows................

1. Two wider midfielders provide defensive coverage on the flanks, meaning your wing backs have much needed assistance in dealing with opposition wide players. I've had to get rid of the playmaker for that purpose as he can be a bit lazy on the defensive front.

2. The play is focused more through the middle of the pitch so now there's an extra BBM to get forward and provide another body in the opposition area.

3. Lots of intricate passing on the edge of the opponent's area to create a shooting chance. If there's nothing on then the holding midfielder will move forward a little in order to offer himself as an option. Your players will play it back to him and he'll recycle possession, restarting the attacking move.

5. Your team will be more dominant so you'll see the possession percentage stat go up but without sacrificing the counter attacking nature of the original TRIUMVIRATE tactic. The net result will be more chances created and less conceded.

FORMATION

formation.jpgimage sharing

PLAYERS REQUIRED

Wing Backs – These guys will get forward to provide the wide option and also to stretch the defence that helps create space for the attackers through the middle. Decent crossing ability is a must. High stamina and work rate will also increase their effectiveness, as will dribbling ability.

PPM to set (in order of importance)......... 1) gets forward whenever possible......... 2) hugs line.

Training focus - crossing or dribbling, whichever is less.

Centre Backs - There's a regular centre back in both DCR and DCL positions. One should be quick so he can recover in case an attacker breaks the offside trap.

PPM to set......... 1) runs with ball rarely......... 2) plays short simple passes (if passing ability is poor).

NOTE: The default setting is 'Central Defender' but you need to change that to 'Ball Playing Defender' for any centre back who is better in that role. It's okay two have two BPD's if need be.

CM – Sits in front of the back four and sweeps up a lot the opposition clearances, thus putting out fires before they start. His ability to win the ball in the middle of the park allows the the front 3 plus both BBMs and wing backs to operate in a highly attacking manner. Also offers a passing option as he's always unmarked. When it's played to him, he's on the lookout to play it forward and get the attack going again. Needs to have a reasonably high work rate as he'll be doing a lot of closing down so a hard working player with decent passing/vision like Schneiderlin would be perfect.

PPM to set......... 1) stays back at all times........ 2) tries first time shots.

Training focus - 'passing' if less than 13, otherwise 'long shots'.

NOTE: You can also use a ball winning midfielder or central midfielder if your centre mid has less than 8/10 in the green 'role suitability' circle. However, only make the switch if he's at least 2/10 better in the other role. If used as a BWM, when he picks up a booking, switch him back to the default CM role and set him to 'ease off tackles'.

Box to Box Midfielder x 2 (right and left) - They play a triple role. Firstly providing defensive cover on the flank in front of their wing back, ensuring the opposition's wide man doesn't get an easy ride. Secondly, getting forward to score and assist and thirdly, making decoy runs to take a defender out of the game, thus freeing up space for a team mate. Will work relentlessly to help the team win the ball back so a high work rate is very important. From an attacking perspective, they'll be getting into goalscoring positions so good finishing and composure will also be helpful. Decent long shot ability for your BBM on the right will net your team many bonus goals throughout the course of a season.

PPM to set......... 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) gets forward whenever possible. If long shot attribute of 13+ then 'shoots from distance' and 'shoots with power' then 'tries first time shots'.

Training focus - finishing or composure, whichever is less.

NOTE: The better long shooter of the two BBMs should be on the RIGHT as set-pieces are designed to create long shot opportunities for him. If long shooting is fairly similar then the one with the best finishing/composure on the right as he will have more goalscoring opportunities. Again, if your BBMs have less than 8/10 in the green 'role suitability' circle, you can use them as BWMs or CMs if they are at least 2/10 better in either of those roles. Just make sure to retain the 'get further forward' player instruction.

Shadow Striker – Will support the strikers and get on the end of attacking plays so needs decent finishing and composure. Will also help if he has good passing and vision as he'll then play lots of through balls for the CF.

Training focus - finishing, composure or 'off the ball', whichever is less.

PPM to set for fast player........ 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) plays one-twos.

NOTE: If your SS has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle then you can use him as an Enganche or Attacking Midfielder (attack) if he is at least 2/10 better in either of those roles.

Deep Lying Forward – Playing a dual role of creating chances for others and scoring himself, he must be a creative striker. Creativity (passing and vision) will mean many chances created for others. He'll be sitting fairly deep and will look to play in primarily his strike partner but also the Shadow Striker. This is a key feature of the tactic so if he lacks creativity, you'll be missing out big time.

PPM to set......... 1) if good passing and vision then 'tries killer balls often'...... 2) comes deep to get ball.

Training focus - passing.

NOTE: If your DLF has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle for the DLF role, you can use him as a False 9 if he is at least 2/10 better in that role.

Complete Forward - The main goalscorer of the team. Aside from decent finishing, composure and 'off the ball' ability required for all strikers, must be quick as he'll be played through on goal by those behind him and his pace will allow him to get free of his marker.

Training focus - finishing, composure or 'off the ball', whichever is less.

PPM to set......... 1) likes to try to beat offside trap...... 2) knocks ball past opponent (if he is quick)........ 3) places shots........ 4) plays one-twos

NOTE: If your CF has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle, you can use him as an Advanced Forward, Poacher, DLF or F9 (in that order of priority) if he is at least 2/10 better in any of those roles.

TACTIC USAGE

To get the best out of the HUSTLER tactic, use the formula detailed below according to the match situation and your objectives. There will be 6 scenarios you will face so I advise the following............

Scenario 1. Pre match favourite (home) - start with the tactic as is (default).

2. All other matches - set passing to shorter.

3. Need to score - default.

4. Don't need to score and just want to see out the game - set passing to shorter.

5. Pre match favourites, are leading and certain the opposition are unlikely to get back into the game and want to score more goals to boost your goal difference - default.

6. Keep the opponent's formation box open in the corner of the screen and whenever they go to an attacking style, set both wing backs to support duty. This can actually help you score more goals as the play will be more concentrated through the middle and because the opponents are playing an attacking style, there should be plenty of space to exploit. Whenever they revert back to a non attacking style of play, make sure to switch your wing backs to attack duty again.

I advise not to make any changes until half-time as knee jerk reactions can often prove counter productive. If you have passing set to shorter and go behind, stick it out til half-time and then use the default settings. However, if you go 2 goals down then make the change immediately as no point waiting any longer.

IMPORTANT: When you are ahead, there are a few teams that will stick three strikers up front in the STC, STCL and STCR positions. You'll be extremely vulnerable from attacking throw-ins when this happens as you'll be outnumbered on the counter. To safeguard against this, you need to change your set piece instructions by setting BOTH wing backs to stay back at throw-ins.

NOTE: You'll get the odd game away from home where you get taken apart by superior opposition but don't let that put you off as the 'fight fire with fire' approach will win you more points over the course of a season than a more cautious, safety first approach.

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS (3 options)

There are 3 options here and as with the tactic usage formula, hard to say which works best. Personally, I use option 1 myself.

Option 1: Do NOT use any opposition instructions.

Option 2: Simply leave them to the assistant manager.

Option 3: Use the following...........

All strikers........... closing down - always

Wide players (WBR/WBL, MR/ML, AMR/AML)............ show onto foot - weaker foot

When using option 3, make sure to monitor the opponent's formation so if they change, you can maintain the above OIs.

TEAM TALKS

I let the assistant manager deal with team talks as I'm playing the Touch version of the game where you can't do team talks yourself. Just make sure to have a decent assistant manager who has high attributes for Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Ability and Motivating. Obviously, if you know what you're doing then would be better to do team talks yourself.

MOULDING THE PLAYERS TO FIT THE TACTIC (VERY IMPORTANT)

The tactic is permanently set to ATTACKING mentality so your players will be itching to shoot at every opportunity but if they don't have decent long shot or finishing ability then they will be extremely wasteful, possibly rendering the tactic ineffective. Therefore, the following 3 pieces of advice are absolutely vital and will dictate how effective the tactic is for your team.........

1) Every player that has less than 13 (in the top division) for long shots should be trained to 'refrain from taking long shots'. For the strikers and AMC, this is a priority as they're most prone to wasting good passing opportunities by taking ridiculous shots from distance....... this PPM will help to minimize that.

2) ALL players with a finishing attribute of less than 12 (in the top division) should be trained to 'looks for pass rather than attempting to score'. Again, this is in order to minimize the amount of wasted efforts on goal. They will still take shots at goal but only from decent scoring opportunities.

3) For each division down, lower the number by 1 but only to a minimum of 10 for both long shots and finishing so..........

PREMIER LEAGUE - every player that has less than 12 for long shots (except CF, DLF and SS, see note below) and 12 for finishing.

CHAMPIONSHIP - 12 for long shots and 11 for finishing.

LEAGUE ONE - 11 for long shots and 10 for finishing.

LEAGUE TWO AND BELOW - 10 for long shots and 10 for finishing.

NOTE: The three attackers (CF, DLF and SS) will regularly receive the ball in advanced positions with no passing option ahead of them and due to the team's attacking mentality, they will instinctively want to shoot on sight so for them, the long shot rule must be stricter by 10% or 2/20. Their long shot filters are...... PL - less than 14, CH - less than 14, L1 - less than 13, L2 and below - less than 12. 

Very important: 'Refrains from taking long shots' and 'looks for pass rather than attempting to score' should be the very first PPMs you train all players that fall within the above mentioned filters with the exception of wing backs, who's first priority should be 'gets forward whenever possible', irrespective of their long shot/finishing ability.

ACHIEVING DEFENSIVE SOLIDITY (VERY IMPORTANT)

You have three attackers up top, defensively helping out very little in your own half. They stay high up the pitch majority of the time so your team is able to hit the opposition on the counter, which means you will score bucket loads of goals and that's why HUSTLER is so effective. While that's all good and well from an attacking perspective, it can leave you defensively short of numbers and with many other tactics adopting a one up top approach with nine outfield players helping out defensively, HUSTLER only has seven, thus putting a lot of physical stress on five of the seven. That's your three midfielders and both wing backs. The centre backs hold their position for obvious reasons but the three mids and both wbs have to compensate for the lack of defensive bodies by running around like madmen, marking/tackling and closing opponents down to minimize the amount of space they have to exploit, thus limiting the chances they can create. For this reason it's absolutely imperative that these five players are workhorses and also defensively sound. Even one of these guys not having the correct attributes can destabilize the tactic defensively and mean your team will leak goals. For this reason, make sure to adhere to the following rule that applies to both BBMs, CM and both WBs..........

All five MUST have an absolute minimum of 13 (in the top division) for 'work rate' and a combined minimum of 22 for marking/tackling. There are other attributes that come into play but these three are the ones you need to make sure are not compromised.

Apply the following filters for the relevant divisions..........

PREMIER LEAGUE - work rate - minimum 13.......................... marking/tackling - minimum combined total of 22

CHAMPIONSHIP - work rate - minimum 13............................ marking/tackling - minimum combined total of 21

LEAGUE ONE - work rate - minimum 12................................. marking/tackling - minimum combined total of 20

LEAGUE TWO AND BELOW - work rate - minimum 12......... marking/tackling - minimum combined total of 19

Please note: The above mentioned numbers are the absolute minimum requirements. The higher the numbers, the more effective the player(s) will be at helping your team achieve defensive solidity and as already mentioned, even one of the five players not fulfilling the above criteria can mean the tactic will become like a pack of cards that collapses due to one card falling out of place.

Also, I haven't just picked the above numbers at random, rather it's down to experience. I had a perfectly functioning team where the five relevant players fulfilled the minimum requirements, then replaced two of them with players who were overall superior but fell below the minimum requirements for just marking and tackling....... we started conceding goals like there's no tomorrow and it became a case of trying to outscore the opposition with defensive solidity flushed down the toilet!!...... it's really not what you want and to avoid it happening to your team, make sure your 5 players fulfill the minimum requirements for marking, tackling and work rate.

FURTHER INFORMATION/ADVICE

Leave ALL set-piece takers to the AI. It usually makes the best decision.

As soon as a player picks up a booking, manually remove his 'tackle harder' player instruction in order to lower the risk of a second yellow. Front 3 are set to this by default.

For your best free-kick takers, set their PPM to 'tries long range free kicks' as the default setting is to float the ball into the box, even when there's a clear scoring opportunity with a direct shot. Once this PPM is acquired, they won't waste such opportunities.

Any player with a 'passing' and 'vision' combined total of 28+ in the top division, set his PPM to 'tries killer balls often' and 'tries long range passes'. Once acquired, these guys will more often look to play the ball over the top for one of the attackers to run onto.

If you get a red card, remove one of the strikers and resit the other one directly in front of the SS. Also, lower the team mentality to 'contain' if the priority is to avoid conceding. 

This is optional but will help. If your best long shooter has 'shoots from distance' as one of his PPMs, set him to 'lurk outside area' from attacking corners so just switch him with the BBM (right) who is in that position by default.

MY GAME (Wycombe)

With a media prediction of 5th, this season is turning out to be one of my best ever. Using the tactic usage formula detailed above, the consistency has surpassed my expectations. With a month to go til the end of the season, lost just two league games and scoring loads but just cannot shake Man Utd off my tail. Last season using my TRIUMVIRATE tactic, lost to them in the Champions League final and also EFL Cup and FA Cup, as well as coming 3rd in the league behind them and City. This season, they're on my case again. Just check the screenshot below, UNBELIEVABLE!!!...........

Competitions.jpg

UNBELIEVABLE LEVEL OF CONSISTENCY

last_30_games.jpg

MEDIA PREDICTION 5th

media_prediction_5th.jpg

A FEW EXAMPLES OF HOW DOMINATING THE TACTIC CAN BE............

dominated_Chelsea_3_0.jpg

dominated_Liverpool_5_1.jpg

6_0_vs_Arsenal.jpgscreen 

FINAL WORD

The tactic is pretty much complete, although your feedback could help tweak it further........ thanks as always.

PS. I'm playing the Touch version of the game and that is still on 17.2 rather than 17.2.1 that the full game is running. Although not sure, I'm assuming the match engine is the same for both versions....... feel free to correct me if you know otherwise.

EDIT to v1.2a (2nd Feb, 2017): I've changed the full backs to wing backs with an attack duty. This ups the attacking potency of the tactic by creating more wing play, which helps to break down teams that park the bus and congest the middle. A 'tactic usage' formula has been added in the instructions above that is intended to create the right balance between attacking and defending, depending on the match requirements. Also, whereas before I recommended that the BBM (right) and DLF (right) must not be on corner taking duty, now they can so just both CBs to NOT take corners.

EDIT to v1.2c (12th Feb, 2017): Just a minor update. Have changed the keeper's 'player instructions' so he now rolls the ball out to the wing backs. It's only a small change but allows your team to build from the back as the he doesn't give the ball away needlessly so you dominate possession more. End result being more efficient performances from your team. Also, I've removed the two previous versions of the tactic as this one is better.

EDIT to v2 for patch 17.3 (29th March, 2017): Not too many changes with all player roles the same but have removed the 'get stuck in' team instruction, whilst adding 'tackle harder' player instruction for all 4 defenders and 3 centre mids. This cuts down on the amount of times the players get skinned, especially the wing backs so now the flanks are protected somewhat better. I've left the previous version for download for those who don't think tactics have been affected by the latest patch :)

EDIT (27th April, 2017: I've removed v1.2c so the tactic to use for the current patch is v2. Tactic usage has also been updated to make sure to have a read of that if you want to get the best out of the HUSTLER tactic.

EDIT to v3 (1st May, 2017): Just a couple of changes that increases the attacking potency of the tactic. Defensive line has been pushed up in order to adopt a really high press. This causes the opposition back line to hoof the ball under pressure, allowing your team to easily regain possession. Wing backs are also more effective as they push even further forward. You might think the opposition would be able to exploit this and easily get in behind but because they are being prevented from building from the back, they can't take advantage of of the extra space behind your team's defence. The keeper has been switched to a 'sweeper keeper' to deal with balls played over the top....... you will definitely score more goals with v3, whilst defensively it is the same, if not better..... win win!!.......... Tactic usage and all player requirements and training is exactly the same as for v2 except for the keeper. Train him as a sweeper keeper and set his training focus to passing............ I will leave v2 available for download for now but will delete after I receive feedback. v3 is the more effective tactic so use that and please let us know how you get on.

EDIT (11th June): I've removed the STANDARD version as it wasn't as effective long term as the original TACTIC USAGE formula that I'd used for two seasons, which was extremely effective. I've now reverted back to that as two seasons of using the STANDARD version has given me enough experience to say that the original formula will work best long term........ just use the main tactic and when you need a more cautious approach, set passing to shorter and when the opposition go to an attacking style, set both wing backs to support duty.... that's it. Check out the edited TACTIC USAGE section for complete info.

Franky's HUSTLER Tactic v3 for FM 17 (17.3)_A18B5867-59E5-4A80-9A9C-194EFB89F2C7.fmf

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I`m going to start a new save and try it. Can we expect a new tactic shortly or is this it, because i want to play long term save. Will post results. Keep up the good work Franky. :)

well, after about a quarter of a season I decided to get the updated data set from sortitoutsi, with all the transfers and start a hull save, after losing the one good player they had I figured what better way to test the tatctic, will post what happens but just wanted to show you the first match. the tactic is nowhere near fluid, none of the guys have the pms they need and I had starters hurt and still had this result....

30526b01ee9d44e680e40c19d2e2409b.png

11 hours ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

should also be stated I went contain the entire 2nd half because I had 2-0 lead at the half

I was playing Europa League game and won first game away 1:3 and then was leading at home 2:0 at half time. I didn`t switch to contain in second half and they scored 3 goals on me. I think we should consider something for time waste.

4 hours ago, Punt said:

I was playing Europa League game and won first game away 1:3 and then was leading at home 2:0 at half time. I didn`t switch to contain in second half and they scored 3 goals on me. I think we should consider something for time waste.

I'm working on a tactic usage formula that will enable it to remain largely plug & play but with a few options to use, depending on match scenario. Need to do a test run but I'm thinking on the lines of.....

BALANCED - default settings

ATTACKING - FBs on attack duty

DEFENSIVE - default settings plus switch team mentality to counter.

Like I said, will do a test run and report back. In the meantime, you might want to try it yourself or if you have any ideas of your own, try them out and let us know how it goes. I'm open to suggestion and will happily implement whatever works best and adjust the original post accordingly.

18 hours ago, Franky. said:

I'm working on a tactic usage formula that will enable it to remain largely plug & play but with a few options to use, depending on match scenario. Need to do a test run but I'm thinking on the lines of.....

BALANCED - default settings

ATTACKING - FBs on attack duty

DEFENSIVE - default settings plus switch team mentality to counter.

Like I said, will do a test run and report back. In the meantime, you might want to try it yourself or if you have any ideas of your own, try them out and let us know how it goes. I'm open to suggestion and will happily implement whatever works best and adjust the original post accordingly.

How is it going with update? I`m going to try tactic usage i used with Total Domination ( was unbeaten almost 30 games ). That is dropping the mentality by 1 notch for every goal lead i have. Will try it today when i come home from work unless you think of something by that time. ;)

EDIT: I've changed the full backs to wing backs with an attack duty. This ups the attacking potency of the tactic by creating more wing play, which helps to break down teams that park the bus and congest the middle. A temporary 'tactic usage' formula has been added in the instructions above that is intended to create the right balance between attacking and defending, depending on the match requirements. Also, whereas before I recommended that the BBM (right) and DLF (right) must not be on corner taking duty, now they can so just both CBs to NOT take corners.

The updated tactic is v1.1 and I believe it's more dominant than the original, therefore more suitable as a plug and play (with no changes).

Started using this with my Coventry save in championship. As you can see from my screen shots have made some minor tweaks mainly to shore up a leaky defence as watching the games I noticed that the attack setting and the WB(a) wasn't working getting caught too far up the pitch and conceding from crosses. So settled on a structured and standard setting,  does not alter the movement or possession but keeps things simpler. 

One major tweak I made and works great is to not use any OI's,  this I found gives the team a better shape and the BBM's do a great job of doubling up with the defenders. 

The minor tweaks suit my players and would advise that you must find the right tweaks for your squad.  Would recommend this as a base starting tactic but does work once fluid as a plug and play I haven't altered anything home or away just the ease off tackles. 

Hope this helps anyone thinking of using this tactic and to prove it does work at any level👍👍👍

IMG_20170203_151320.jpg

IMG_20170203_152006.jpg

IMG_20170203_152937.jpg

I've uploaded version 1.2a to the original post. This one scores more goals but I won't remove v1.1 until I test further and receive more feedback. 

VERSION 1.2a

In this version, the dynamics of the tactic change a little. It's more counter attacking in nature where the DLF (left) is replaced by a Complete Forward who must be quick. The DLF on the right needs to be creative (good passing and vision) as he receives the ball on the counter and looks to play in the CF with a through ball. It's actually how the TRIUMVIRATE tactic works except that we retain the three across the middle.

All player requirements are the same, except for...........

Complete Forward - The main goalscorer of the team. Aside from decent finishing and composure required for all strikers, must be quick as he'll be played through on goal by those behind him and his pace will allow him to get free of his marker.

Training focus - finishing or composure, whichever is less.

PPM to set......... 1) likes to try to beat offside trap...... 2) knocks ball past opponent........ 3) places shots.

NOTE: If your CF has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle, you can use him as an Advanced Forward or Poacher if he is at least 2/10 better in either of those roles.

I've also changed the 'tactic usage' formula to the following..............

TACTIC USAGE (2 options)

Option 1: Totally plug and play. No need to make any changes at any stage except for setting booked players to 'ease off tackles' immediately upon getting a yellow card.

Option 2: ATTACKING - default......... BALANCED - switch wing backs to support duty.......... ULTRA DEFENSIVE - switch wing backs to defend duty and set team mentality to contain.

I would recommend option 1 for elite teams only (media prediction 1st). For all others, option 2 would be better where you start each game on ATTACKING unless your opponent is odds-on favourite (home or away), in which case start on BALANCED. You then switch between ATTACKING and BALANCED throughout the game as dictated by the match situation and if needed, ULTRA DEFENSIVE to close out games with lots of time wasting from any point in the second half. ULTRA DEFENSIVE is very effective at breezing through the second half without much incident so use it frequently if you're not concerned about scoring more goals and just want to see the game out.

NOTE: When changing back from ULTRA DEFENSIVE to ATTACKING (because opponents have scored and now you need to score), you'll be switching team mentality from 'contain' to 'attacking' and for some reason, tempo will automatically be set to 'normal'. You'll need to manually set it to 'much lower' as that's the default tactic setting...... do NOT leave it on 'normal'.

If you are leading and want to score more goals whilst staying tight at the back, monitor the opposition formation by keeping their formation box open in the corner of the match screen. If they go to an attacking style of play, switch to BALANCED (i.e. wing backs on support duty). You'll actually score more goals doing this as your attacking play will then be more concentrated through the middle with slightly less wing play and because the opposition are playing an attacking style, you'll be able to carve them open more easily as there will be plenty of gaps to exploit centrally in the final third. 

In terms of tactic usage, can you use them together or are they meant to be used separately? 

On Option 2 - you're not changing the mentality apart from when you go with ultra defensive? And all you are changing is that WB's? I'll have to try option 2 against the bigger teams than me.

I'm very pleased to report that the tactic usage worked a dream!! First leg not using it, we lost 1-0 meaning we had to score 2 at home if they didnt score. Went into the game with attacking,  they opened the scoring with a goal followed by 2 of my own meaning we needed one more goal and we got it before half time. I switch to contain and move the WB to defend, and keep it that way until the 80th minute, after seeing they had gone to attacking formation, switched to balance and ended up halting their attacking run, and scored another goal to finish the match 4-1

30 minutes ago, Punt said:

This tactic with tactic usage is awesome! Thank you Franky! :)

You're welcome. I'm using version 2a myself and feel it's my best tactic and yes, the tactic usage formula is proving very effective for me as well.

On 06/02/2017 at 23:51, sparkysrovers said:

I'm very pleased to report that the tactic usage worked a dream!! First leg not using it, we lost 1-0 meaning we had to score 2 at home if they didnt score. Went into the game with attacking,  they opened the scoring with a goal followed by 2 of my own meaning we needed one more goal and we got it before half time. I switch to contain and move the WB to defend, and keep it that way until the 80th minute, after seeing they had gone to attacking formation, switched to balance and ended up halting their attacking run, and scored another goal to finish the match 4-1

If you go to ULTRA DEFENSIVE, there's no reason to switch back unless you need to score.

On 06/02/2017 at 22:17, sparkysrovers said:

In terms of tactic usage, can you use them together or are they meant to be used separately? 

On Option 2 - you're not changing the mentality apart from when you go with ultra defensive? And all you are changing is that WB's? I'll have to try option 2 against the bigger teams than me.

Yes, all you're changing is the Wing Backs from attack (ATTACKING) to support (BALANCED). They will still get forward but not with reckless abandon as they try to balance getting forward with ensuring they don't get caught out of position on the counter. 

Franky, i forgot to tell you that i'm still using version 1.1 and loving it. BBM's are working together nicely in defence and in attack and almost every game they have 100+ passes each. DLF's and SS are dragging defences all over the place and exploiting the space. I'm using slightly modified version of your tactic usage. I think it's a masterpiece.

Franky, i finally started using version 1.2a and i have a question. In the Supreme tactic thread you mentioned an update in which you remove offside trap from team instructions. Is that still something you advise us to do?

1 hour ago, Punt said:

Franky, i finally started using version 1.2a and i have a question. In the Supreme tactic thread you mentioned an update in which you remove offside trap from team instructions. Is that still something you advise us to do?

I'm not certain it makes a huge difference but that's what I'm testing out currently. Changes are as follows for version 1.2b..........

1. Removed offside trap............. to avoid getting screwed over by strikers that have 'likes to beat offside trap' as a PPM.

2. Mixed passing to shorter passing.............. to dominate possession a bit more and also to create tighter/more intricate passing triangles in the final third.

3. Team width - narrow to fairly narrow............ to compensate for the natural tightening of width due to shorter passing.

Please let me know how it compares to v1.2a. If feedback is positive, I'll replace the previous versions.

Franky's HUSTLER Tactic v1.2b for FM 17 (17.2)_929F773F-3803-4202-9440-19BA67DC6C17.fmf

NOTE: I'm finding v1.2b works better on narrow pitches due to the shorter passing. In my Wycombe game, I have a really wide pitch (94m x 75m) and it just doesn't work well as the players are too far away from each other (top to bottom). However, in my Man Utd game it works better as the pitch is much narrower (105m x 68m). I don't think the length makes any difference, just the width. 

37 minutes ago, Franky. said:

I'm not certain it makes a huge difference but that's what I'm testing out currently. Changes are as follows for version 1.2b..........

1. Removed offside trap............. to avoid getting screwed over by strikers that have 'likes to beat offside trap' as a PPM.

2. Mixed passing to shorter passing.............. to dominate possession a bit more and also to create tighter/more intricate passing triangles in the final third.

3. Team width - narrow to fairly narrow............ to compensate for the natural tightening of width due to shorter passing.

Please let me know how it compares to v1.2a. If feedback is positive, I'll replace the previous versions.

Franky's HUSTLER Tactic v1.2b for FM 17 (17.2)_929F773F-3803-4202-9440-19BA67DC6C17.fmf

I´ve already played one game with 1.2b version and the biggest thing i noticed are triangles all over the pitch and number of passes played in midfield. My midfield three all had more than 100 passes each. Will test it further. Oh and i beat my biggest rivals in the league 4-0 away with this version. :)

9 hours ago, Punt said:

I´ve already played one game with 1.2b version and the biggest thing i noticed are triangles all over the pitch and number of passes played in midfield. My midfield three all had more than 100 passes each. Will test it further. Oh and i beat my biggest rivals in the league 4-0 away with this version. :)

I'm going to stick with v1.2a as that is extremely consistent. 1.2b is okay in the right conditions but doesn't have the same consistency. Something else to report. The screenshot below is the very first test game I played after making a very small modification to v1.2a. Bear in mind I've played this test game a few hundred times before as I use it for tactic development and the most goals I've scored prior to this is seven. I'll be updating the tactic with the aforementioned change........ Fergie thought he was a badass beating Arsenal 8-2 :D

9_2_vs_Arsenal.jpgim

EDIT: Some really amazing performances in my Wycombe game with the above mentioned modification. Dominating games really strongly. This is just one of them..........

6_0_vs_Arsenal.jpgscreen shots

22 minutes ago, sparkysrovers said:

Whats the modification or does it require further testing?

Keeper now rolls the ball out to the wing backs. I've tested it and it works really well. Something very minor can have a much bigger impact than one would think. Certainly made me sit up and take notice....... original post has been updated and tactic is available to download.

In my Wycombe game, I've played 5 seasons in the Premier League and have lost in the final of the Champions League the last 3 seasons. Twice to PSG and once to United. The last one was a 2-1 loss to PSG using v1.2a. I save all CL finals for tactic testing purposes so loaded this one up and plugged in v1.2c. Here's the result :eek: ...................

6_0_vs_PSG_CL_final.jpghow to print screen on pc

Franky

is it possible for you to post the detailed TIs and PIs for this? I am on FMT on iPad and so can't download the tactic (as far as I can tell). I am having real difficulty with FM this year - whereas normally I do well. I just can't seem to score goals even with top sides and am massively struggling so any help is appreciated and from what I can tell your tactics are amazing. Is hustler the best one?

multiple screenshots or a list in a post would be great - whatever easiest for you

thanks in advance 

tom

20 hours ago, Walrus said:

I am loving this tactic. 

So am I............... 50 games played, 45 wins and 5 draws. I've never had this level of consistency before with any tactic. Also, it's first season with lots of players settling in and Zlatan's been out injured, only played in 10 of the 40 games. The consistency is coming from the amount of goals we are scoring, which breeds confidence and allows the defenders to play with surety. I can say without hesitation that this is easily my best tactic for FM 17 and the best since my Blitz tactic for FM 09 and 11. If you are using any of my other tactics, I would definitely recommend using this one instead.

first_30_games.jpgimage posting

games_30_50.jpgupload image online

league_table.jpgfree upload image

Transfers.jpgupload pic

On 13/02/2017 at 12:01, Glassy said:

This tactic is an absolute **** take. I've scored 80 league goals in 25 games! Spanking everyone left right and centre. 

Can you post some screenshots as you're doing better than I am with United...... thanks :)

To Walrus...... can you give some more info please and your observations..... thanks :)

love your tactics, any chance of a lower league masterpiece? getting owned in Gibraltar :( poor quality players make even the best tactics go out the window after 5 or 6 games.

Plus i am pretty garbage despite 2000hrs played between fm16 & 17!

2 minutes ago, Apoca442 said:

love your tactics, any chance of a lower league masterpiece? getting owned in Gibraltar :( poor quality players make even the best tactics go out the window after 5 or 6 games.

Lesser players tend to struggle when asked to do things quickly. For this reason, all of my tactics deploy a lower tempo, which helps to avoids this. You just need to upgrade your players as and when possible. There's really no other secret or specific tactic that can make them play better than their ability allows but like I've said, a lower tempo will afford them a bit more time on the ball to make their decision and so less chance of cocking things up.

3 minutes ago, ruudvanwarren said:

What training are you using on FMT Franky?

It's in the original post...... I leave it to the assistant manager. However, I do all individual training myself in order to mould the players to fit the tactic. Again, all info is in the OP.

3 minutes ago, Franky. said:

It's in the original post...... I leave it to the assistant manager. However, I do all individual training myself in order to mould the players to fit the tactic. Again, all info is in the OP.

Seriously my friend sincere apologise my friend...thanks for the info...congrats on the tactic!

14 hours ago, Franky. said:

Can you post some screenshots as you're doing better than I am with United...... thanks :)

To Walrus...... can you give some more info please and your observations..... thanks :)

Yeah no probs, but will be early afternoon, when the little one has her nap. 

20 hours ago, Apoca442 said:

Ain't necessarily so ;-)

I only ever use favourites for relegation. Using Franky's tactics, I've taken Poole Town to L2. We were well adrift at the bottom in Nov, this time around, I switched to Hustler and now we're 16th - much closer to the playoffs than the drop. FM17, more than ever, punishes wholesale squad changes - it takes a fair while for a team to click. I like this realism.

Just finished 1st season with United....... P65 W58 D6 L1.................. Original post has been updated with screenshots. Currently in pre-season for season 2 and have shifted out some deadwood plus Martial to PSG for £84m as I'm top heavy with strikers now that the following players have just come in. Not sure why I'm continuing with this save as second season will probably be a bit of a joke :D ..............

Incoming_transfers.jpggif image hosting

Put this into my Barca team. Doesn't seem suited to them as I've drawn the first two games against Deportivo and Napoli in the ECL. Against Napoli I snatched a 92nd min equaliser. and in both games the possession and chances were pretty even for both teams. I ended up subbing Suarez as the CF both times too with ratings of 6.4 and 6.2. Doesn't seem to suit the attacking talent they have.

Archived