Help figuring out making money from friendlies

In my current game (FM17 Beta), Calais will pay me $20k a pop to come play as many friendlies as I can stand.  But, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out if it's helping my bottom line or not.

When I arrange the friendly, it says Fee $20,000, Income $2500.  What am I actually making?  Is the $2500 what I get after travel and match-day expenses?

If I send my U23 team, am I still paying my players their appearance fees, goal and shutout bonuses, or are those only for senior matches?

The club is kind of hemorrhaging money because I am taking a gamble on promotion, and I'm trying to figure out if this series of friendlies is helping or hurting.

You shouldn't be trying to make money out of friendlies but:

If you are playing at home the fee is what you pay to the visiting club while the income is what you get from tickets.

If you are playing away the fee is what you get before any travelling expenses etc which I don't think are listed.  I don't think you get any of the ticket income but I could be wrong.

Not sure if it has changed in FM17, but in previous versions the income on the fixtures screen was just an estimate, so depending on how many people turned up you could end up making less than the game suggested or even lose money. Whilst fees for away games was a fixed amount, so if you had a small stadium it was generaly more cost effective to arrange away friendlies against teams who would pay you well.

Easiest thing to do is make a note of what funds you are expecting from the friendly when setting it up and then make a note (or take a screenshot) of your detailed finances (in and out) before and after the game to work out what your income and expenses were, then do the same for an away friendly (or several friendlies) so you can see what kind of friendlies make you money.

League type friendly tournaments can make tons of money for your club, if your team is part of two top divisions, smaller teams get less money, less attendances, etc.

Standalone friendlies are never profitable or are profitable by a very small margin.

3 minutes ago, scooter28 said:

Cheating so small clubs in real life who choose to play bigger sides are cheats emm ok lol

and how often so small/medium clubs IRL do that?

How many friendlies do they play during the season?

How many times do they play the same team?

10 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

and how often so small/medium clubs IRL do that?

How many friendlies do they play during the season?

How many times do they play the same team?

How often i could not tell you that but am sure it happens some clubs can play alot 6/7 up in scotland alot of times and a good few have played bigger sides its ofc another way to make money thats why am saying its not cheating.

Celtic there at the start of the season missed the 1st spfl game to play a friendly against barca and another against leicester in the champions tournement  all for money ofc

2 minutes ago, scooter28 said:

How often i could not tell you that but am sure it happens some clubs can play alot 6/7 up in scotland alot of times and a good few have played bigger sides its ofc another way to make money thats why am saying its not cheating

There is a significant difference between playing a few in pre season to trying to play big clubs every week to supplement your income.

9 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Because you never see any team play consistent friendlies against the same opposition week after week.

Got you. You're talking about exploiting the game by arranging a constant stream of friendlies in order to make money, rather than my approach which is to maximise returns from a realistic pre-season schedule. 

• 5 weeks later...

I have some issue with finances with pre season friendlies also.

As you can see below i organised a friendly league in pre season. I pay out £200,000 on team fee's (which is fine), but i should be receiving £275,000 income meaning £75,000 profit. However, if you look at the screenshots after the first 2 friendlies in the league the income goes into my balance and reduces the club debt which i have. But after the third game the balance goes back up and my £75,000 profit is no where to be seen.

I don't really understand this at all.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ryan

20161129005809_1.jpg

20161129005825_1.jpg

20161129010451_1.jpg

20161129010524_1.jpg

20161129010651_1.jpg

20161129010814_1.jpg

If you arrange a friendly competition the fees paid to other sides isn't paid out until after the competition is finished (the £200K in the other column in your last screenshot), however the income shown when arranging the friendlies is only an estimated value (or possibly the max you could get if the stadium sold out - what were the attendance percentages?) - from your last screenshot you only brought in ~£225K when the game thought you might bring in £275K.

I don't think as a team with a small stadium it is ever possible to make money from friendlies as the fees you pay out near always equal the income you get, the best way is to try and find teams with the biggest gap between the income and fee, or pick teams with a smaller fee, it might be possible to make money from away friendlies but I'm not sure how the fee/income works for them as in previous version it would flip the values so you'd get the £70K fee if Swansea invited you with them hoping they'd get £90K out of the match, but FM17 doesn't seem to change the figures, so not sure if you pay them £70K and hope to earn £90K.

Archived