If at first you don't succeed, blame the game and try again - A San Marino Youth Challenge 2.0

Bedese

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

889ea10646dcd50a7a52ecf698901987.png

I know it's 2062, but this is a squad with such little talent in it it's painful. If I'm being honest, we have maybe four players at the quality I'm looking for - and two of them are our ageing FBs, Luca Guiliani (YP86) and Alberto Pozzo (YP84). We're getting nothing in the intakes, and that needs to change. Fast.

38 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Youth Intake Day!

9231140f372b498b74f54791a89d6c46.png

I give up...

d6bb406e5d4e1d40aa80533f0f03dfc8.png

I've actually just tagged someone with 2.5* PA, and he also happens to be a CB with 4 strength, 4 heading, 4 concentration and an unambitious personality. We've hit a new low.

:(

14 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Youth Intake Day!

9231140f372b498b74f54791a89d6c46.png

I give up...

d6bb406e5d4e1d40aa80533f0f03dfc8.png

I've actually just tagged someone with 2.5* PA, and he also happens to be a CB with 4 strength, 4 heading, 4 concentration and an unambitious personality. We've hit a new low.

Well, that's going to be almost reaching "under administration" for this youth intake. The rule says if your team is under administration, this team will be suspended for one year in continental competitions unless the team chairman is resigned from the position.

5 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

Well, that's going to be almost reaching "under administration" for this youth intake. The rule says if your team is under administration, this team will be suspended for one year in continental competitions unless the team chairman is resigned from the position.

I don't think a bad youth player is going to make our team go into administration :lol: 

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

A good win, and a lot less stressful than usual.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:
Gabriele Rondelli (YP94) - 8.06

He's so, so good.

Top Goalscorer:

Marco Casoli (YP97) - 25

He's only 2.5* CA, but he actually has pretty good attributes. I'm happy enough with him as my lone striker.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Sandro Bertollini (YP95)

The best player at the club, we'll probably lose him when his contract runs out in two years.

Aims for Next Season:

I just need a good intake, to be honest.

Other teams:

League winners: :D

Cup winners: :D 

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Partizan in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Belenenses in the Playoff. Fiorentino lost 5-0 to Lokeren from Belgium, Folgore lost 5-1 to Dinamo Bucharest and Juvenes Dogana lost on away goals to Ventspils from Latvia.

San Marino National Team:

2062 Results --------------- 2063 Results

We lost every game, but we didn't get battered by anyone. Good stuff.

Player Watch:

Andrea Montanari - Torino can't be using him properly, because he should be doing a lot better than he is with those stats.

Ashley Turpin (YP88) - His average ratings aren't the best, but he's been a constant starter for a Championship team for four years in a row. Impressive.

f02596861dfceca9534a7bd4f279379f.png

Legend. The best player to ever come through here, he went to Frosinone after we made 2.1m from selling him. We could have made even more, but instead of moving on in his career he stayed there for 13 years, captaining the side and making nearly 400 appearances for them. He eventually left in 2062, playing in the Premiership for a year at Stoke before finally deciding to hang up his boots at age 34. What a man.

I feel like I've really been neglecting PPMs - by that, I mean I've completely ignored them and haven't bothered teaching anyone any news ones. Time to change that.

f1e8787a9d743228c248150f9098d361.png

He's a good dribbler, and I want to use that more as a way of trying to open up defences. I like my wingers to stay wide and get the ball into the box with this formation, though, so I'm going to teach him to run with the ball down the left.

d08ea53a22ff10bf8abafa559da4780e.png

He's a decent passer, and playing at our AM position he's the one we're going to rely on to open up the defence. Time to get him to try and play killer balls often and play it through to our striker.

ffb69a2534bdf105afe45db11d115fbc.png

Our other starting winger, he's not as good technically but he is blessed with a lot of pace. Pretty simple - we'll override his technical weaknesses by telling him to knock the ball past his opponent when he runs, and put that pace to good use.

9a77703336d50a82d22a915ccca45bc1.png

Our new starting striker, his finishing and composure aren't bad but his technique is lacking, so I'm training him to blast his shots.

39cd6057d96f726ea565ad03b018791a.png

Can we get our seeding back now?

9441326d55acf36e064c108c9c86c74c.png

Slovan are a lot better on this save than they were on my last one. They were the team with the highest coefficient we could have faced, and I'll be very surprised if we can get anything from this.

17ae9cde7bfdd863f26d3bff21a1358b.png

Oh?

Ignore the stats. We were the better team. We had 3 CCCs with our 4 shots, while they created absolutely nothing of note all game. Malaga were really, really poor, but I'm not complaining. Let's hope the same thing happens away.

EDIT: Turns out they've only actually qualified for Europe once before, back in 2025/26. I think we got gifted quite a nice draw here. We need to get the job done away, because a win would be huge for our finances.

We have a new HOYD. The old one had good stats, but it just wasn't working. Our intakes were terrible, and I'm desperate for a CB. I don't think the old guy even knew defence was a position on the pitch. He seemed to just grab random 16 year olds the day before the intake and call them defenders because he forgot he needed some. Anyway, here's the new guy:

1a78962021862d55b6503c2002949e3a.png

He's not bad, is he?

On 29/07/2016 at 01:46, Jupjamie said:

Youth Intake Day!

377ee9cbc0252a0fdefcdf8717216487.png

fa4af7c299258cf3b8a437fdcb540efd.png

He looks great at first - and gets worse and worse the more you look. Good technicals and some good mentals and 5* potential! But he's got 3 composure, and he's only 5'11. No problem, I can just move him to FB, right? Nope. 5 acceleration, 8 pace. 5'11 wouldn't be so bad, but you just can't have a CB with 5 jumping. He's really not good enough on the ball to move to midfield (and I don't use a DM anyway), but he's not fast enough to play FB and too small to play CB. I don't have a clue what to do with him. I guess just keep him at CB, buy him a trampoline and some springs and hope?

Trying to catch up with this thread. I would have deffo kept this bloke based purely on his PA and some of his decent attributes. Of course he isn't going to make it as a centre-half, but as a protector in front of them..... seems perfect. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Trying to catch up with this thread. I would have deffo kept this bloke based purely on his PA and some of his decent attributes. Of course he isn't going to make it as a centre-half, but as a protector in front of them..... seems perfect. 

You may be in for a surprise there Jimbo... ;) 

Haha. Well I've just seen the Salzburg result and the comment about his interceptions. :applause:

I think that it doesn't matter where you played him, but his PA twinned his his Resolute personality and the required game-time is always going to produce good results in terms of development. 

6 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Haha. Well I've just seen the Salzburg result and the comment about his interceptions. :applause:

I think that it doesn't matter where you played him, but his PA twinned his his Resolute personality and the required game-time is always going to produce good results in terms of development. 

I completely agree with you, but the extent of his development was a bit... surprising.

5 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

What is it with you and producing decent GK's, (even with a new HoYD?)

You know how, when you're a kid growing up playing football, it's an unwritten rule that the worst person goes in goal?

Yeah, well everyone in San Marino is bloody terrible, so they all end up as keepers :D 

2 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I've just seen that you traded in a Pro HoYD for an AMb one. I know the new one has 20/20, but Amb is nowhere near as good as Pro. 

I know, I just couldn't resist. It didn't turn out that great though, and I've just bought in a new one to replace him (he's only Fairly Ambitious, but there was nothing better out there). I don't think the HOYD personality has a huge impact on the game though - this is just my theory, but you know how in the message on youth intake day it says the HOYD had an impact in bringing through X with his coaching style and personality or something along those lines? I reckon it might only be those mentioned players that have a personality similar to his, because it never really seems to align that closely. You still get unambitious players with a professional HOYD etc. 

12 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

I know, I just couldn't resist. It didn't turn out that great though, and I've just bought in a new one to replace him (he's only Fairly Ambitious, but there was nothing better out there). I don't think the HOYD personality has a huge impact on the game though - this is just my theory, but you know how in the message on youth intake day it says the HOYD had an impact in bringing through X with his coaching style and personality or something along those lines? I reckon it might only be those mentioned players that have a personality similar to his, because it never really seems to align that closely. You still get unambitious players with a professional HOYD etc. 

No.  don't think that's how it works either. I think of it a little bit like the way tutoring works. When you tutor a player, (successfully), then specific attributes will be increased/decreased based on the specific hidden attributes, (& determination). I see the HoYD influence as exactly the same way. He is having an impact on all players, (some more than others obviously), so in general a Pro HoYD will produce players who are more Pro than a Bal HoYD for example. He might not specifically produce Pro players, but the batch as a whole will be more Pro. 

On 05/08/2016 at 20:51, Jupjamie said:

Youth Intake Day!

54e8547e4ab63100aae5372fdf635f97.png

WE HAVE A STRIKER!

3019a59a3ff2510727a4a23503e5f217.png

A striker with 3 finishing, 4 passing, no great physicals and pretty poor technically. He better develop quickly, because he looks absolutely terrible. I'm really wound up about that.

You forgot to mention the PPM. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

No.  don't think that's how it works either. I think of it a little bit like the way tutoring works. When you tutor a player, (successfully), then specific attributes will be increased/decreased based on the specific hidden attributes, (& determination). I see the HoYD influence as exactly the same way. He is having an impact on all players, (some more than others obviously), so in general a Pro HoYD will produce players who are more Pro than a Bal HoYD for example. He might not specifically produce Pro players, but the batch as a whole will be more Pro. 

I like your theory. You know what? I'm going to start charting it, I think. Make a little table with the amount of each personality we got through with a certain personality type. I play enough seasons that it should have enough data to at least draw some connections.

OOh I like Rondelli. 

It's a tough decision as to where to play him. I would lean towards AMC, but of course it depends on what fits in well with the rest of your team. I would probably look to play him in whatever is the weakest position within the squad. 

5 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

I feel like I've really been neglecting PPMs - by that, I mean I've completely ignored them and haven't bothered teaching anyone any news ones. Time to change that.

I'm personally of the opinion that PPM's can be really important if used correctly. You will soon work out what works and what doesn't. :thup:

I was just about to suggest that you bin the HoYD no matter what he looks like. Looks like you had the same idea. :thup:

I would give a HoYD 1 really bad year, (especially his 1st). I would even give him a 2nd bad intake. I wouldn't give him the opportunity to be poor a 3rd year.

8 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I'm thinking, for a HOYD that the main things are personality, reputation, and possibly preferred formation(as if his is 3-4-3, you're not as likely to get decent fullbacks, etc).

You make a good point about the preferred formation. A lot of people miss that. It doesn't have to replicate the formation you play, but the WB comment is bang on the money. 

I also look at other things, but I'm not sure how reliable they are so don't want to mislead anyone as yet.

6 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

You make a good point about the preferred formation. A lot of people miss that. It doesn't have to replicate the formation you play, but the WB comment is bang on the money. 

I also look at other things, but I'm not sure how reliable they are so don't want to mislead anyone as yet.

What things do you guys think make an impact? I'll collect data for whatever you want to know, because I also suspect that preferred formation and such things have an effect, but haven't ever found anything concrete to back it up. Reputation I can't really test, because of all ours are going to be rubbish :D 

Well I have long been keen to find a link between anything and the position of the best players that a particular HoYD will help generate. 

A perfect example of this is your run of GK's being produced, (and I think this was via 2 different HoYD's)

I look for what it is that links them. It's too easy to say that it's simply a question of marrying coaching style to key player produced, but does it even lean in that direction? I'm personally of the opinion that there IS NOT a direct link between coaching style and preferred key player promotion.

My personal opinion is that where the HoYD is an ex player, then there is a real link between the better player produced and the position of the HoYD in his playing days, but it's not always easy to spot when the player might not have played for you or in a region/level that you were even aware of. 

Playing style is something that I am undecided about. To give you an example of what I mean, a HoYD who prefers a direct style, is less likely to produce midfield play--makers. 

The options available are as follows.

Marking style.
Playing style.
Playing mentality.
Pressing style.

These things aren't there because they look good. They are there for a reason, (in exactly the same way that preferred formations are).

9 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Well I have long been keen to find a link between anything and the position of the best players that a particular HoYD will help generate. 

A perfect example of this is your run of GK's being produced, (and I think this was via 2 different HoYD's)

I look for what it is that links them. It's too easy to say that it's simply a question of marrying coaching style to key player produced, but does it even lean in that direction? I'm personally of the opinion that there IS NOT a direct link between coaching style and preferred key player promotion.

My personal opinion is that where the HoYD is an ex player, then there is a real link between the better player produced and the position of the HoYD in his playing days, but it's not always easy to spot when the player might not have played for you or in a region/level that you were even aware of. 

Playing style is something that I am undecided about. To give you an example of what I mean, a HoYD who prefers a direct style, is less likely to produce midfield play--makers. 

The options available are as follows.

Marking style.
Playing style.
Playing mentality.
Pressing style.

These things aren't there because they look good. They are there for a reason, (in exactly the same way that preferred formations are).

I need to have a think about how to track that. That's not easy to check for, especially when most of our regens are so bad you can't tell whether they're a playmaker or a target man :lol: 

First of all, regarding the new HOYD, I was excited to see how it goes, but I think they should build a better reputation because one of these HOYDs are experts to field young players. I hope that Salvatore Ciccone is going on the right way than Fiorentino.

Second, I'm sad about letting go of Marco Dela Valle and Danny Clampin. But I hope that they would join another team or join politics likes Nicolas Fardin.

Third, almost getting a big momentum against Malaga, but it ain't be easy in the next year. I'm gonna say build more momentum even you face a bigger team that has big charisma.

11 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Well here is what I use to try and highlight stuff in my own save. 

Not sure how much it will help.

HoYD_zpsxioao1l7.png

I'm just sceptical that there would be a visible effect. If there is a difference in players produced by, lets say, a HOYDs pressing style, how would you be able to track that and note enough differences to draw any conclusions? I think that differences would likely manifest in the players PPMs - someone who was a playmaker compared to someone who played more long balls could still equally have high passing, but one prefers to go long and one prefers to play it short.

Archived