If at first you don't succeed, blame the game and try again - A San Marino Youth Challenge 2.0

Bedese

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/28/2016 at 20:46, Jupjamie said:

Youth Intake Day!

377ee9cbc0252a0fdefcdf8717216487.png

fa4af7c299258cf3b8a437fdcb540efd.png

He looks great at first - and gets worse and worse the more you look. Good technicals and some good mentals and 5* potential! But he's got 3 composure, and he's only 5'11. No problem, I can just move him to FB, right? Nope. 5 acceleration, 8 pace. 5'11 wouldn't be so bad, but you just can't have a CB with 5 jumping. He's really not good enough on the ball to move to midfield (and I don't use a DM anyway), but he's not fast enough to play FB and too small to play CB. I don't have a clue what to do with him. I guess just keep him at CB, buy him a trampoline and some springs and hope?

Never going to let this go now :D

Anyways, it seems like things are starting to look better.  Still not at the level you were at, but better.

1 minute ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

Never going to let this go now :D

Anyways, it seems like things are starting to look better.  Still not at the level you were at, but better.

Hahaha, fine. You were right :D 

Things are going alright, I guess? I'm in love with a certain English winger, but we really need some more talent in the next few intakes to start making back the ground we've lost in Europe lately.

Youth Intake Day!

b08882e0074d698438f1145f2d3474ad.png

16c6eedbea5337b2cc892ff83348f822.pngHe could possibly become a decent CM. 

69f1cd3eceafc9fb08038287b2ce08c5.png

We need strikers. He's a striker. Not a good one, but he is one. I'm really clutching at straws here, because it's another really disappointing intake. I'm expecting at least 4.5* PA players most intakes, and we're getting that about one in seven, if we're lucky.

7 hours ago, jengaehassim said:

Lorenzi is going to become a important player, unless a better striker comes within the next 2-3 intakes.

Very good physicals and quite some skill.

Interesting you think that. Personally, I think his lack of potential will really hinder him and he won't really develop much past his current ability, but I hope you're right :D 

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We struggled for a while to break Faetano down in the final, but eventually got the job done in extra time.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Paolo Zafferani (YP75) - 8.16

He's doing a great job of carrying our midfield.

Top Goalscorer:

Marco Bernardi - 28

He's not great, but he's not terrible, either.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Ashley Turpin (YP88)

Considering he already has offers from Championship teams, he's almost definitely leaving us when his contract is up in 6 years, but that's a fairly long time with a top class player.

Aims for Next Season:

We need a striker and a CB before we're going to become competitive in Europe again. Let's get one of them in an intake, please?

Other teams:

League winners: :D 

Cup winners: :D 

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Red Bull Salzburg in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Rangers in the Playoff. Folgore lost 2-1 to CS U Craiova from Romania and Faetano lost 3-2 to Crusaders from Northern Ireland. Both were so close to winning but Tre Fiori managed to pick up a win, knocking off Maltese side Floriana 3-2 before losing 6-0 to Austria Wien in the Second Round. Delighted with that.

San Marino National Team:

2056 Results --------------- 2057 Results

Andorra seem to be the only European team we're actually better than.

f1bcb314e4bdad68ab69df8b37dfae05.png

Oh. Our best player (average-rating wise) over the last few years has let the success go to his head, and he's left to find someone better. He won't find anyone better, because he's really not that good. I don't mind losing him, considering he's 30 and not one of our most talented players, but there is a bit of a drop off from him to our other CMs.

f68644d84ae976cca29ca2dd68647b1d.png

55fb3cb84a18240ce823b8435f02ab4e.png

They're the easiest team we could have been drawn against, but they're still a formidable opponent. They actually made the CL groups last season, although before that they weren't seeded and often lost in the Third Round... hmm...  I don't think we'll win, but there's a chance.

Youth Intake Day!

ec2ac1d6887b51ce706807529f4676ff.png

cfafe60bd5cd77b688c934eaaed56aa5.png

What's this? Another English winger! This is getting weird. He's never going to be as good as Ashley Turpin (YP88), but 4.5* PA is a good start. He'll need to develop a lot, though, because his starting attributes are pretty terrible.

88bde1a9a68ce10093d801f007765e00.png

He's not great, but he'll be my long term backup keeper, I guess. It's not a dreadful intake, but we desperately needed a CB and striker, and we haven't gotten either.

18 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

At least Clampin will be able to cover in the middle of the park handily too.

He's a weird one. He's natural at CM, RM, CAM and RW, but he's pretty useless at all of them right now. I think he can get away with his weak technicals on the wing more so than in the middle of the park (and his pace will come in more handy there) so I'm hoping to have him become my starting RM in a couple of years, but any improvement in his technical ability that would improve him as a CM would be very useful.

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Pathetic. We might be in financial trouble now. We're getting a bit low on funds, and the Europa League really doesn't pay all that handsomely. 

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Meh.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Andrea Ceccoli (YP90) - 7.95

I'm hopeful he can be our star midfielder of the future.

Top Goalscorer:

Giuseppe Lorenzi (YP91) - 17

He looks like he could be serviceable, at least.

Ashley Turpin (YP88)

8 more years!

Aims for Next Season:

Until we get a CB (or two...) we aren't doing anything in Europe. We aren't even going to be dominant domestically.

Other teams:

League winners: Juvenes Dogana beat Domagnano 4-2 in the final.

Cup winners: Juvenes Dogana beat Tre Fiori 1-0 AET.

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Slovan Bratislava in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Lorient in the Playoff. Virtus lost 5-0 to Stromsgodset from Norway, Juvenes Dogana lost 4-1 to SJK from Finland but Faetano carried the torch, winning 5-0 against B36 from the Faroe Islands. Then they lost 7-0 to Genk.

2057 Results --------------- 2058 Results

Three excellent draws take us up to 133rd in the world, the highest we've ever been.

Youth Intake Day!

a1f9099d0bd4529fa323dc264d8008ea.png

53127793b39c0754237d1569260ba362.png

Ooooooh boy. He's good. He's really good. I don't think he's a striker, though - I think he's a CAM. He looks like he could grow to be good enough to be the focal point of the team at CAM, and I'm willing to make that change. I think I'm going to try a 4-2-3-1 out - we're weak upfront as it is, and I've been thinking about making that change anyway to get Ashley Turpin (YP88) more involved in the attacking game. It'll take a fair bit of tinkering, but I think this can work.

Still no CB, though.

19 minutes ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

I'd play him as a DF or a DLF, maybe even F9. But that's an overdue pull, congrats!

Interesting. I don't think he has the stamina for a DF and if I were to use one, I'd rather it be someone who can run a lot but who isn't that technically gifted. It seems a waste to use him there. I don't think he's good enough to be a F9 (and even if he is, I doubt the rest of my attackers have the mental attributes needed to play alongside one), but a DLF? I could see that. I use one at the moment, and he'd definitely do a job there. Decisions...

45 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Interesting. I don't think he has the stamina for a DF and if I were to use one, I'd rather it be someone who can run a lot but who isn't that technically gifted. It seems a waste to use him there. I don't think he's good enough to be a F9 (and even if he is, I doubt the rest of my attackers have the mental attributes needed to play alongside one), but a DLF? I could see that. I use one at the moment, and he'd definitely do a job there. Decisions...

It's hard, as he probably has one or two components missing from any role, striker or AMC, but with his finishing I'd want him close to the goal.

He does look good enough to help no matter where you settle on with him.

15 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

It's hard, as he probably has one or two components missing from any role, striker or AMC, but with his finishing I'd want him close to the goal.

He does look good enough to help no matter where you settle on with him.

I think I'm going to stick him at AM for now and see how that tactic does as a whole. We're not going to be beating any big teams in Europe anyway, so it's worth a shot :D 

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

A good (if nervy) title win, and we're back in the Champions League.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Meh.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Gabriele Giardi - 8.39

A great season for the young midfielder.

Top Goalscorer:

Giuseppe Lorenzi (YP91) - 25

He's not fantastic, but he does the job for now.

Ashley Turpin (YP88)

Hopefully playing as the LW in a 4-2-3-1 (if we do go with that) gives him more chances to show what he can do on the ball.

Aims for Next Season:

Test out the 4-2-3-1, finally get a CB in the intake and retain the league. 

Other teams:

League winners:D 

Cup winners: Tre Penne beat us on penne-lties (no? I'll leave.)

How the team in CL Qualifying did: Juvenes Dogana lost 4-0 to Ludogorets in the Second Round. Domagnano lost 5-1 to Aberdeen but Tre Fiori did well, beating Linfield 2-1 before losing 2-0 to Zilina from Slovakia in the Second Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Trencin in the Third Round.

2058 Results --------------- 2059 Results

A great Nations League campaign sees us come second in our group, behind Iceland but above Estonia and Andorra. We're also up to 122nd in the world :D 

11 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

I think I'm going to stick him at AM for now and see how that tactic does as a whole. We're not going to be beating any big teams in Europe anyway, so it's worth a shot :D 

Definitely a fine time for a bit of experimentation.

Seems to be a financial problem for the first time. I saw that in your previous save before in probably 40s or 50s.

Questions:

1. Losing a CB will be a worse nightmare. According to the youth only challenge, anyone will allow to sign players outside your team (i.e. a player from Andorra has signed to your team).

2. How much your finance? Is your team almost "under administration"?

3. Losses at the hands of Trencin, Slovan Bratislava and FC Lorient costs the price of the competitions to be low you received. The highest I believe is in 2038. Did you use those money for facilities or others?

4. Will the chairman of San Giovanni will resign soon?

1: No, I've told you this already. We do not sign any players. From anywhere. At all.

2: We're 'insecure' at the moment, but the money we get from the CL will help us out.

3: Nope, I haven't spent money on facilities for a while. I've just saved it up, because wages are expensive.

4: Good question. Not sure, we'll have to wait and see.

Archived