If at first you don't succeed, blame the game and try again - A San Marino Youth Challenge 2.0

Bedese

1 minute ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

All these results in the last year are looking up for you, give it a bit of time and you'll reliable be in knockout rounds.

Here's hoping :D I reckon it's a fair few more years until we're actually competing for a knockout place in the Europa Groups, but you never know...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Youth Intake Day!

383ad6416c5aae97a48e055c9dda5805.png

7f156e4c32646331acebc68cad51fca0.png

Now this is a prospect I can get behind. He's got some very decent starting stats, and his potential makes me excited about his chances of becoming a valuable player for us down the line.

1baca9485fe1760cb18499574f061f2a.png

We don't need a keeper but he's not terrible in any one area, and he's absolutely massive :D This is the first time in a while we've had two prospects worth tagging, so I'm pretty happy with this year.

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Another good title win.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Marco Simoncini (YP73) - 7.94

Unlike most of our CMs who previously won this, he's a genuinely great player. 15 passing and 15 vision is superb.

Top Goalscorer:

Matteo Casadei (YP61) - 33

Casadei takes a very proud place in our history, as his hatrick earned us our first ever Europa group win.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Marco Podeschi (YP58)

He's 30, so he probably doesn't have long left for us.

Aims for Next Season:

Retain the league. I'd also like to make the Europa Groups again, but I'm not that hopeful.

Other teams:

League winners: :D

Cup winners: :D 

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Red Bull Salzburg in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We got 3 points in the group. Fiorentino lost 3-1 to Omonoia, Faetano lost 4-1 to Trnava from Slovakia and Tre Fiori lost 5-0 to Hapoel Beer Sheva.

San Marino National Team:

2046 Results --------------- 2047 Results

Not a bad performance in a really tough Nations League group.

8e1403e06d78beeeb6f8d9aab6a425ce.png

Easy! Easy! Notice Nicola Prisco (YP78) scoring 4 from midfield on his first start for the club. One to watch, I reckon.

59dc354ac118e1efd5d263075e2f9b0f.png

Interesting. Again, we're at home first, but I think we might be able to take Kobenhavn. They're obviously stronger than us, but I've got a sneaky feeling we might be able to grab something here.

177666a147ee272b59712aaf0fe62ced.png

One of the hardest management decisions I've had to make in a long time came with this game. There are two CM spots, and our partnership of Marco Simoncini (YP73) and Paolo Zafferani (YP75) was faring so well I was reluctant to break it up. At the same time, could I really drop Nicola Prisco (YP78) after his heroics last game, even if, attributes wise, he's clearly the weakest of the three? I decided to ride with the hot hand, and went with Prisco and Simoncini. It worked. 17 minutes in, Prisco played a delightful ball over the top to Casadei, who fired home at the near post. It was a pretty even game after that, but just when it appeared we were going to close out the win, Mirco Podeschi (YP62) tripped up a Kobenhavn player, and they converted the penalty. This tie isn't over, but the away goal means they're the favourites to win this back in Denmark.

590a1ccb352cf667b571c065f35b1abd.png

Well, well, well. Last season, we beat them for our first ever Europa League group win. This year, if we can beat them over two legs, we'll knock them out and make the groups at their expense. I don't think it'll happen, but it's a cool matchup regardless.

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Piece of cake.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay (although the final wasn't all that clearcut).

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Marco Podeschi (YP58) - 8.07

I thought he'd start to slow down this season. He won player of the year instead.

Top Goalscorer:

Marco Podeschi (YP58) - 44

Oh, and he smashed his own club scoring record for most goals in a season. Not bad.

Nicola Prisco (YP78)

The youngster had a superb debut season. We'll see if he develops enough to be a viable long term starter, however.

Aims for Next Season:

Retain the league, and push for the Europa Groups again.

Other teams:

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Kobenhavn in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Saint-Etienne in the Playoff. Tre Fiori lost 8-0 to Kaizat from Kazakhstan, Cosmos lost 6-0 to Legia Warsaw and Virtus lost 4-0 to St Gallen from Switzerland.

2047 Results --------------- 2048 Results

10-0 :( 

bc9a5cf42386c0c64815dd571087c039.png

Matteo Casadei (YP61) just has a knack for scoring important goals. He gave us a vital away goal here against AEK, but we were in the lurch after Gentile got his marching orders after coming through the back of a striker earned him his second yellow, and AEK fired home from a corner to fight back and get the draw. We're in a decent position going into the home leg, but this won't be easy - especially without Gentile.

b8399cf0934679e52ee87ac608acf0dd.png

Matteo Casadei (YP61), take a bow. The boy is unstoppable in Europe. Alessandro Pecorelli (YP74) was keeping our clean sheet in tact through heroics in goal, but we really needed a goal to give us a layer of protection. With 64 minutes on the clock, Paolo Zafferani (YP75) hit a shot from the edge of the area. It was blocked, but deflected to Matteo Casadei (YP61), who spun around to meet the ball and fired it first time. It didn't have a whole lot of power on it, but it was deadly accurate. The ball kissed the bottom corner, and we march on through to the groups once more.

d8f1a481902f903a9aa57bf004f9ecdf.png

What? You blackmailing scumbug! A year ago, not a single fan wanted you in the team, and you've gotten worse since then. Who do you have dirt on? You're not getting in the team ahead of Pecorelli. Go away.

ca0211cae2fbb4083e0c6445be8d8b80.png

Um... I'm a little scared of Stefano Zafferani (YP71) now. In all the time he's had off not playing football, I think he's turned to a new craft - a contract killer. I'm still not picking him, but if Pietro Sacca (YP79) gets 'injured', I think we may need to get the San Marino police involved.

What's that? Oh, ****, yeah. San Marino's so small, two of our players and one of our coaches actually work for the police part time. Hmm.

Just now, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

I'm guessing the one's where you let in less than 4 goals went well :p

Out of all the teams how did AZ beat you 9-1?

I don't have a clue. We were 6-0 down before I had time to blink :lol: Just one of those games where everything goes right (for them, obviously. And also possibly Stefano Zafferani (YP71), who might be gambling on our games and money laundering for all I know. I don't trust him.)

Youth Intake Day!

55213f2fdf6c3fb189f245175dd1ae85.png

Now that I've decided to move Matteo Giardi (YP77) to RB, we do actually have a space at CB, because it looks like I'm going to cash in on Christian Gentile (YP76) before he leaves us on a free. I'm not sure if Santarelli can fill it, but 4* potential means he very well could.

6a7b9bec4785b845e85c9fe4ccbb88ee.png

Marco Podeschi (YP58) is getting older so we do definitely need a striker. I'm just not sure if Gualtieri is going to be good enough.

844fd3fe2f2b1f329c0326cd7c6fb7b6.png

He has some very decent starting stats, but his potential is somewhat limited and we're already pretty deep at CM, so the odds are against him.

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Another good win.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Nicola Berardi (YP64) - 7.60

Europa meant that our average ratings weren't too great this year.

Top Goalscorer:

Matteo Casadei (YP61) - 26

Both our strikers are now 30+ :(

Christian Gentile (YP76)

The most talented player we've ever had, he's only got a year left on his contract and refuses to sign a new deal. I'm going to try to cash in.

Aims for Next Season:

Retain the league, and push for the Europa Groups again.

Other teams:

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Young Boys in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We got one point in the group. Juvenes Dogana lost 6-1 to Jabonlec from Czech Republic, Tre Fiori lost 6-1 to Domzale from Slovenia and Cosmos lost 5-0 to KR from Iceland.

2048 Results --------------- 2049 Results

4 points off Georgia is superb.

33 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

What's Puleo's Media Handling type? WWY could be higher, but if he's Reserved or Evasive then he's damn near perfect.

He's media-friendly. I can't remember if that's good or bad, I seem to remember that it's not great?

20498b5bd38414a1a24b5c6050ae8e77.png

There goes the most talented player to ever come through our ranks. There wasn't a chance he was sticking around past his contract expiry, but I think we got a pretty good deal for him. 2.1m and 50% of the fee from a future sale for a kid playing in San Marino isn't too shabby. Unfortunately he's Italian, not Sammarinese, so he won't be helping the NT in the future. Still, I hope he does well, and not just to make us some money - it's always nice to see your ex-players do well, especially in making the jump from San Marino to Serie B.

ae03b014adc123494c0a83fff14f5fc1.png

2 minutes ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

That's a great deal for him! I can see a bigger Italian club snatching him up for 5M or so if he does well.

5m is about what I'm hoping too, which would net us another 2.5m ;) I wish he'd gone to a bigger team than Frosinone though, because I doubt they're going to be getting huge money for anyone. We actually had the same deal lined up with Genoa (also a Serie B team but a bigger one), but they completely lowballed the contract offer and Gentile pulled out.

1 hour ago, Jupjamie said:

He's media-friendly. I can't remember if that's good or bad, I seem to remember that it's not great?

It's basically the equivalent of "Balanced" for personality. Reserved or Evasive only happen if Professionalism is in the 15-20 range, so combined with an Ambitious personality you'd then be giving your youth the best chance at personalities that are more likely to develop. First time around I missed that he had 4 for Determination -- not a deal breaker, but that is very much on the low side of what I like.

Gentile's Jumping and Acceleration really came along, eh? That's impressive.

2 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

It's basically the equivalent of "Balanced" for personality. Reserved or Evasive only happen if Professionalism is in the 15-20 range, so combined with an Ambitious personality you'd then be giving your youth the best chance at personalities that are more likely to develop. First time around I missed that he had 4 for Determination -- not a deal breaker, but that is very much on the low side of what I like.

Gentile's Jumping and Acceleration really came along, eh? That's impressive.

Yeah, his determination is annoyingly low. He's good, but I'll be on the look out for better if anyone comes along.

Gentile developed ridiculously quickly. We've got good training facilities and coaches, and his personality was superb, but I really didn't expect him to become anywhere near as good as he did. I originally had my doubts about him even breaking into the first team.

e488526970ff167931fb347aea7d81de.png

Two shots in 90 minutes says it all. We're at a stage where we really need some more talent in the squad - we need two new starting strikers and two new starting wingers at the least. Another CB/FB wouldn't go amiss either, especially as Matteo Giardi (YP77) is currently refusing to sign a new deal because he also thinks he's too good for us. Until then, we're probably not going to be challenging for a place in the groups.

Youth Intake Day!

f5d580e43f55f452adad35d8f1f02aac.png

27b34e2429308f74ee40b6c2714b00fc.png

Now this is a prospect I can get excited about. A FB with decent pace who's not bad going forward, although his defending does need some work. He's not the winger that we needed, but he could play there in a pinch, I suppose.

fe521b92d7c94560e9d8df7d9d650991.png

STOP GIVING ME GOALKEEPERS I DON'T NEED ANYMORE NOW STEFANO ZAFFERANI (YP71) HAS ANOTHER VICTIM WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME FM.

He looks alright though.

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

I have no complaints. We just aren't that strong right now.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Our first trophy-less season in a long, long time.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Nicola Berardi (YP64) - 7.76

It says a lot that he's our 'best' player.

Top Goalscorer:

Marco Podeschi (YP58) - 20

He's basically a shell of his former self at this point. He only still gets in the team because everyone else is even worse.

Marco Simoncini (YP75)

One of the few left in our squad who is genuinely talented.

Aims for Next Season:

We aren't making it to the Europa Groups, so I just want to win back the league and have a good intake that gives us either a striker or winger (or both).

Other teams:

League winners: Juvenes Dogana beat us in the final.

Cup winners: Faetano beat us in the final.

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Dinamo in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Maritimo in the Playoff. La Florita lost 5-1 to Sturm Graz from Austria, Juvenes Dogana lost 5-0 to Beroe from Bulgaria and Faetano lost 5-0 to Dinamo Minsk from Belarus. 34 years in, and we're still waiting for another team to win a game in Europe.

2049 Results --------------- 2050 Results

Losing to Luxemborug is pathetic.

Archived