4-1-4-1 Help - 5 games, 0 Goals

Chaps,

Thanks for taking the time to give this a quick read.

I've got a 4-1-4-1 tactic that i've given a good go but just cant get the boys scoring.

DLF (s)

WM (s) - CM (a) - AP (s) - W (a)

DM (d)

WB (a) - CD (d) - CD © - WB (s)

G (d)

Play out of defence, Work ball into box, Push up, close down more, be expressive

My idea is my attacking threat from my right winger, and my left full back allowing my left mid to go inside and supplement the attack with my CM who I have on attack duty - but we dont score goals! I concede 1/2 a game so im not getting battered but there seems to be an issue.

Any thoughts on the information above?

Cheers.

We need more informations about mentality, PI of players.

What about scoring chance? Do you produce it but your players don't score because goalkeeper or mistakes or you have difficult also to produce CCCs?

You said you wanted to make things simple, yet you selected a bunch of shouts and kept the mentality/shape unchanged. I highly recommend going the other way around.

From the shouts you selected, I guess you want more risk taking from your squad, trying to playing mostly at the opponents' half? If so, try to de-select at least a few of those shouts, and up the mentality to Control. This will give your team the desired effect I think you wish for, without over-complicating things with shouts.

In terms of the roles you selected, I think they are well balanced. I actually play in similar setups and do well. Just try a basic Flexible/Control combo and see how you do.

Chaps,

I've got a 4-1-4-1 tactic that i've given a good go but just cant get the boys scoring.

DLF (s)

DM (d)

G (d)

Play out of defence, Work ball into box, Push up, close down more, be expressive

My idea is my attacking threat from my right winger, and my left full back allowing my left mid to go inside and supplement the attack with my CM who I have on attack duty - but we dont score goals! I concede 1/2 a game so im not getting battered but there seems to be an issue.

Cheers.

More support for the front man.

colud change dlf to an advanced forward or poacher with the wingers

change the midfield duo too a dlp and box too box more control and feed the wingers

try fluid

Your formation is too defensive theres no one central going for goal, your lone striker should be your main goal scorer supported by your wide players.

As a DLF/S he will stay deep and you willl end up with almost a 6 man midfield, change him to a AF and he will feed of crosses from your wide players and thru balls from you CM/A and AP.

More support for the front man.

colud change dlf to an advanced forward or poacher with the wingers

change the midfield duo too a dlp and box too box more control and feed the wingers

try fluid

Why would the striker get more support if you change him to a Role which isolates him even more, and change the midfield Roles to ones which are less inclined to get forward than the ones already chosen? It doesn't make sense.

The reason i've gone for the DLF is to be closer to the midfield, allowing the winger and CM (a) to attack with him as opposed to him being the lone man we're pinging balls to which get snuffed out as he's far too advanced and on his own.

That's a very similar setup to what I use, with the exception of a few roles and that I'm using Control/Structured. I find it very strange you'd be unable to score a single goal in 5 matches with that.

Structured might help, will give you more space to play in. Also get rid of "work ball into box" and use "shoot less often" instead, for any players you see wasting too much possession with long shots. The reasoning is that "work ball into box" cuts down on crossing. This will make your winger a bit useless.

I am using this and it works well (2nd in Premier League with Norwich in second season). It is quite similar setup.

Control, Fluid - short passing, close down more, offside trap

False nine (s)

WM (a) - CM (a) - CM (s) - W (a)

DLP (d)

WB (s) - CD (d) - CD (d) - WB (s)

G/S (d)

I would say that you need right players (all midfield players needs high determination and good physical attributes) in this tactic, otherwise it could be disaster.

The reason i've gone for the DLF is to be closer to the midfield, allowing the winger and CM (a) to attack with him as opposed to him being the lone man we're pinging balls to which get snuffed out as he's far too advanced and on his own.

Personally I prefer Complete Forward to deep-lying. It does depend if your striker is capable of the role though, as it tends to be a bit rarer.

You guys are awesome.

Toned down on the shouts, gone to control to get my players a bit further up and tweaking with the role of my striker and things have changed completely.. scoring goals.. and winning games!

Thanks!!

You need some sort of counter attacking threat in FM16, (especially playing 4141) otherwise the game will torture you. Teams will just camp inside your half launching cross after cross towards your box. Try the Advanced Forward. It links play better than most of the support roles and occupies defenders better. It doesn't just goal hang on the last man

Chaps,

DLF (s)

DM (d)

G (d)

Cheers.

Play this;

GK

WB(S) CD CD WB(S)

DM

MC MC

W(A) W(A)

ST(AF)

You need some sort of counter attacking threat in FM16, (especially playing 4141) otherwise the game will torture you. Teams will just camp inside your half launching cross after cross towards your box. Try the Advanced Forward. It links play better than most of the support roles and occupies defenders better. It doesn't just goal hang on the last man

That is not true, there are proactive ways to dominate a team whilst using 4-1-4-1. In fact with the 'back 3' of the 2 CBs and the DMC, you are going to be very efficient at sweeping up clearences, so it can allow you to build pressure. If playing on standard, I will almost always have a higher or much higher defensive line for this reason.

To the OP, I would try to reverse the duty of the two wide players (WM(A) and W(S)), since the WM will try to get further forward and provide another goal threat more than the WM(s).

Archived