Emulating Carlo Ancelotti's AC Milan: Christmas in May

OnCwHYK.png

Once again, I'm gonna take a shot at Emulating this tactic. I have learned a bit from last year's thread and then another thread succeeding that. I have also reviewed the games and watched them. Here we go

Carlo Ancelotti is loved by AC Milan fans and you should know why. He doesn't try to install any "philosophy" like certain coaches out there (I won't go there, I promise :D). Instead, he builds a team around the players strength especially around Pirlo. Andrea Pirlo is an interesting soccer player. Basically bounced around the Serie A before settling in at Milan as an Enganche but then Ancelotti had an idea. In order in integrate the amount of creative players in the squad, he moved Pirlo back as a DM. But the problem is, Pirlo is not a ball-winner or an anchorman. His defensive attributes aren't there. So he allowed Gennaro Gattuso to lineup ahead of Pirlo in order to negate attacks and do the dirty work that Pirlo is supposed to do. And then the other central midfield spots are occupied by an interesting crew of players. Seedorf sometimes occupy that spot. Ambrosini...Emerson...etc. But the most interesting part of the formation is the front three. Three guys very narrow and occassionly roamed wide. Two guys behind a poacher in Pippo

Counter - AC Milan never played a high line. They played a slow paced possession game dictated by Pirlo with an occasional counterattack.

Fluid - A bit different to others interpretation but this would apply that all parties are involved in the transition from defense to attack and that was the case. Ancelotti wasn't disiplined like a Jose or a Benitez. He wanted the players to express themselves and only a minority to do their job (Gattuso, Emerson, Ambrosini, etc)

GK

CWB-CD (x)-CD-CWB

REG

BWM (d)-CM(s)

AM (a)-AM (s)

P (a)

PIs:

GK - Roll It Out, Distribute to CB, Distribute Quickly

Dida role. Once again, Milan never played a high line so Dida didn't really have to move out of his box to scoop up through ball nor he was required to start counterattacks

CWB (a) x 2

The only wide players in the side were Cafu and Jankulowski. These guys used to be wingers when they were young so they were bombing upfield from the back often.

Recommened PPMs: Get Further Forward, Runs Ball Down Left/Right, Hugs Line

CD (s) - Pass It Shorter, Tackle Harder

The Nesta role. The man was a classic stopper. I mean, seriously, he put MESSI in his pocket once upon a time.

CD - Pass It Shorter, Tackle Harder, Close Down Much Less

The Maldini role. Not really a stopper as he didn't have the stamina for that role as he was soon ending his career but was a great hand for the side in their CL campaigns

REG - More Risky, Close Down Much Less, Ease Off Tackles

The Pirlo role. The only playmaker in the side. He didn't do the typical DM role well but he was an Enganche from deep and was expected to dictate the tempo and do what a playmaker does.

Recommended PPMs: Plays One-Twos, Tries Killer Balls Often, Tries Long Passes, Dictates Tempo, Comes Deep to Get Ball

BWM (d)

The Gattuso role. He was a mad man and ran like one taking people down. Punching, kicking, choking...he did everything. Tough to emulate that in this game, tho :D

Recommeded PPMs: Plays One-Twos, Dives Into Tackles, Argues with Officials

CM (s)

A more dispilined role that fits Ambrosini like a glove. Neither was a ball winner or a playmaker but was just "there". Same for anyone else who played this role.

Recommeded PPMs: Plays One-Twos

AM (a) - Roam From Position, Move Into Channels

Kaka's role. Although a few here have said that he's more a false 10. The problem with that is there is no false 9 up front. This a big no-no for "Pairs and Combinations" for a reason. Two guys aggressively attacking the box can lead to some deadly counters for the opposition . Especially if my Kaka can't get back in time. Don't get it twisted. An AM (a) can still attack.

Recommended PPMs: Move Into Channels, Runs With Ball Often, Tries Killer Balls Often, Gets Into Opposition Area, Plays One-Twos

AM (s) - Roam From Position, Move Into Channels

The Seedorf role. A more defensively disiplined AM. He went back and defend but was still able to get into the box when asked.

Recommended PPMs: Move Into Channels, Tries Killer Balls Often, Plays One-Twos

P (a) - Move Into Channels

The Pippo role. He can score goals. Often the man the lead the line.

Recommended PPMs: Move Into Channels, Tries to Beat Offside Trap, Plays One-Twos, Gets Into Opposition Area

And then the TIs

Shorter Passing

The team often kept the ball in the ground and had to for a reason. Pippo was not good in the air and he often loved the ball at his feet.

Pass Into Space

The team often looked for the killer ball unless thy name is Gattuso, Emerson, or Ambrosini.

Play Out Of Defense

Once again no hoof ball from Milan. They played patiently out of their own area

Much Lower Tempo

The tempo more or less doesn't matter to the team. Typically the team looked for Pirlo to dictate the play and weren't afraid to play a slow game to find him.

Whipped Crosses

The team once again whipped the ball in with hope that it lands to the feet of Pippo or a Kaka. You can also say Low Crosses here.

Close Down More

Milan weren't afraid to close opponents down after an attack break down. Just not to a point of Dortmund or Barca.

One thing to take note is that it is still early for me in get things going but I have seen some progress in my ManU save. The players are already being retrained to play in the AM role. Most guys typically somewhat fluid in that role...so that means no need to sell them all. I have found the perfect stopper in John Stones and he'll come around in January. Found the perfect Seedorf in Alex Texiera. He'll also come around in January.

Played a couple of games already with this. One of the game was against Arsenal which is coached by....Carlo Ancelotti

Showed him the business and won 3-0. My REG Ander Herrera was all over the place. I only wished he attemped some long shots that Pirlo used to do (only one blocked shot) as I didn't tick on Work Ball Into Box for that reason but I'm glad to see him doing alright in his new role. I'm trying to get Lucas Romero to unlean Plays Simple Short Passes. The opposite of what Pirlo used to do of course. I already bought a madmen in Sven Bender and he already has one of the PPMs that Gattuso shouldn't have "Does not Dives Into Tackles". And then the attacking players are just too many to list...Depay, Berardi, Rolan, Martial, Wilson, Hakan, Klose, Mane, Lavezzi...

After the game, Carlo Ancelotti seemed pissed that I beat him in his old game. Of course, I said that he was too soft :D

I'm thrown back by so many PI. Are all of those really necessary? I'd say if you choose the most appropriate roles to emulate how that team played, that basic template should be a good reproduction.

I like your setup, maybe I'd change Jankulovski to a simple WB as he didn't have Cafu's quality and played more disciplined.

I'm thrown back by so many PI. Are all of those really necessary? I'd say if you choose the most appropriate roles to emulate how that team played, that basic template should be a good reproduction.

I like your setup, maybe I'd change Jankulovski to a simple WB as he didn't have Cafu's quality and played more disciplined.

Not really about the basic template. I just want to be close to playing Ancelotti Milan as possible. And I think these PIs will help

Interesting role choice for Kaka because for me, he is the pure definition of a shadow striker and everyone who watched him play and wrote about him from 2006 onwards thinks the same. In the early stages of his Milan career he was more creative but during his peak years 2006-9 he was definitely a shadow striker.

1.That Milan NEVER played counter football

2.Kaka as someone said from this season onwards he was more of a shadow striker

3.Seedorf was another playmaker of that team so he would be more suited as AP

4.Just to know:Cafu played until december then came Oddo and took his place and Simic almost never played behind Maldini there was Kaladze

Interesting role choice for Kaka because for me, he is the pure definition of a shadow striker and everyone who watched him play and wrote about him from 2006 onwards thinks the same. In the early stages of his Milan career he was more creative but during his peak years 2006-9 he was definitely a shadow striker.

Shadow striker???? Which kind of football did you see? Kaká was a fast, modern trequartista that worked also for the team....and he was a trequartista because he played behind Inzaghi and Shevcenko.....'shadow striker'???? Never mind.....Also in the 4-3-2-1 he played behind the forward and tried to gain advantage for his speed starting behind the attacking line....

A treq with the right attributes can be one of the hardest working players on the field. Don't let the roles and descriptions throw you.

Close Down Much Less and Ease Off Tackles are hardcoded PIs when using a Treq. I'm not saying it's a lazy role overall, but defensively, it's not a good role AND Kaka defended A LOT more than the role does

1.That Milan NEVER played counter football

2.Kaka as someone said from this season onwards he was more of a shadow striker

3.Seedorf was another playmaker of that team so he would be more suited as AP

4.Just to know:Cafu played until december then came Oddo and took his place and Simic almost never played behind Maldini there was Kaladze

1) Not true. Go on YT and watch the games again. Super Cup 2007 vs Sevilla is one.

2) I have stated my reasons for not choosing the role in the OP.

3) Once again, explained why I didn't make him a playmaker above

4) He was still there in 06 and Oddo certainly was a CWB (a) as well. And Simic played 22 games in the CL-WINNING season

Shadow striker???? Which kind of football did you see? Kaká was a fast, modern trequartista that worked also for the team....and he was a trequartista because he played behind Inzaghi and Shevcenko.....'shadow striker'???? Never mind.....Also in the 4-3-2-1 he played behind the forward and tried to gain advantage for his speed starting behind the attacking line....
Yes he was a shadow striker from 2006 onwards. Maybe before mocking you should educate yourself.

1) Not true. Go on YT and watch the games again. Super Cup 2007 vs Sevilla is one.

2) I have stated my reasons for not choosing the role in the OP.

3) Once again, explained why I didn't make him a playmaker above

4) He was still there in 06 and Oddo certainly was a CWB (a) as well. And Simic played 22 games in the CL-WINNING season

1.Under Ancelotti Milan always(except for very few games) had more possesion than opponent and dominated the opponent(that's why mentality should be control) and no need to watch any games since I saw all the Milan games from 2002 onwards

2/3. Yeah I saw you reasons, that was just to point out how were the things that year

4.Yeah Cafu stayed there till 2008 but from january 2007 he lost his place in the 1st 11 and Simic played those games because both Maldini and Kaladze had many injuries and When both Kaladze and Simic were available Simic never played

1.Under Ancelotti Milan always(except for very few games) had more possesion than opponent and dominated the opponent(that's why mentality should be control) and no need to watch any games since I saw all the Milan games from 2002 onwards

2/3. Yeah I saw you reasons, that was just to point out how were the things that year

4.Yeah Cafu stayed there till 2008 but from january 2007 he lost his place in the 1st 11 and Simic played those games because both Maldini and Kaladze had many injuries and When both Kaladze and Simic were available Simic never played

Counter on FM is a slow based possession game, control is not.

Alright, I'll give an update and as you can see, it is a mixed bag.

pdQO5Wt.png

Most of the goals conceeded were in part of the "crossing bug" which I hoped will be fixed soon. But, the inconsitancies of the front line are shown. Sometimes they fire on all clinders, and then sometimes they don't even show. It is annoying sometimes to see 138-year old Miroslav Klose in the Poacher position show my usual strikers and attacking mids how to finish and how to score in the Watford game. I'm satisfied with the role of Ander but the role of my Gattuso, Sven Bender is not good enough. I hope to remove his negative PPM soon and then I can get him to dive into tackles :D

Very nice article Jean, that was a really good Milan side.

I'm no expert on FM tactics but did you consider making one of the DC's a ball playing defender - on defend duty?

As well as being a w/class defender Nesta was very good at bringing the ball out of defence. Also I see one of your TI's is play out of defence.

Very nice article Jean, that was a really good Milan side.

I'm no expert on FM tactics but did you consider making one of the DC's a ball playing defender - on defend duty?

As well as being a w/class defender Nesta was very good at bringing the ball out of defence. Also I see one of your TI's is play out of defence.

Interesting. I haven't consider that role for Nesta. BPD (x)? Hmm...might have to watch some games again to see what you just said

Interesting. I haven't consider that role for Nesta. BPD (x)? Hmm...might have to watch some games again to see what you just said

I don't think it would work so well, seeing as you want Pirlo to be the main playmaker, in some ways I'd guess the two roles would clash a little bit. Either you want to have Nesta bring the ball up the field and have pirlo move back into a covering position or you want to get the ball to Pirlo and make him the man to start moves.

I don't think it would work so well, seeing as you want Pirlo to be the main playmaker, in some ways I'd guess the two roles would clash a little bit. Either you want to have Nesta bring the ball up the field and have pirlo move back into a covering position or you want to get the ball to Pirlo and make him the man to start moves.

Right. Nesta would just take too much time on the ball and Pirlo will have less of it

Archived