Director of Youth Football trying to buy rubbish players?

I am doing a career at Arsenal and the director of youth football, Andre Jonker keeps trying to buy pretty expensive (3-5m) young players who really aren't that good and probably won't make it at Arsenal. So I end up just cancelling all the transfers, is it best to get rid of that responsibility or just hope one day he will actually find someone good?

I guess it depends on how much time you would like to spend on trying to find good players, if you are happy to spend a bit of time trying to find players, it will be worth not having the HOYD, but if you are happy for him to keep finding players, so long as you have the final say on the signings, then let him do his thing!

The somewhat questionable intelligence that buy and sell players in FM, seems to use reputation as one of the key factors.

If the team you manage is doing well, you can get silly transfair offers from other clubs, in my case Androw Towsend was bought by Barcelona for 30M+ Euro, because he had some odd lucky games at my Spurs team. After he joined Barca he was moved to the B team and never heard from again, because the Barca AI bought the player on rep, but the manager saw he was crap and never played him.

If you let DoF or HoYD buy players they are using that questionable system to pick players, your going to get some really bad deals.

ANY staff used for buying in players are pretty generic. Last time I tested the game with a level of 1 for all attributes and then 20 saw my DoF buy exactly the same players for the same price and wages. So basically ANY DoF will do. (One of the many tests I do with FM games before I start a serious game).

With that said sometimes they can come up with a cracking signing that you have missed. Especially if you are strapped for cash.

My advice is allow him to make the approach for players but from then on YOU take over the deal. :D

ANY staff used for buying in players are pretty generic. Last time I tested the game with a level of 1 for all attributes and then 20 saw my DoF buy exactly the same players for the same price and wages. So basically ANY DoF will do. (One of the many tests I do with FM games before I start a serious game).

That suggests to me that the quality of players the DoF buys is more influenced by the scouts and that the DoF is picking from players suggested by scouts rather than picking them themselves.

My issue with DOF is that he offers ridiculous contracts.

There was a player with a really low release clause so I just clicked 'add as transfer target'. DOF bought him and offered him rotational status (to a 16 year old) with a 9.5k per week + 15% yearly raise. I immediately canceled it and made my own offer, player's initial demands were hot prospect and 1.3k p/w. So somehow my DOF decided to be generous and offered an 8 times better contract than player asked for.

My issue with DOF is that he offers ridiculous contracts.

There was a player with a really low release clause so I just clicked 'add as transfer target'. DOF bought him and offered him rotational status (to a 16 year old) with a 9.5k per week + 15% yearly raise. I immediately canceled it and made my own offer, player's initial demands were hot prospect and 1.3k p/w. So somehow my DOF decided to be generous and offered an 8 times better contract than player asked for.

Why would any player agree to that? Seems like a bug if they agree to receiving a fraction of what they had just received a contract for.

Why would any player agree to that? Seems like a bug if they agree to receiving a fraction of what they had just received a contract for.

They're agreeing to a contract which is realistic for their level, obviously the DOF offered more and obviously the player accepted, he accepted the lower offer as that was still good enough for him at his age and level of play.

I always set myself for final approval on new signings, because my DoF will offer contracts to 8 center backs when I don't have a need for more than 4, will keep trying to sign players after we've gone over the wage budget, he'll go after wide midfielders when I only play attacking wingers in my system...and I've cancelled contract offers and then sent lower ones that are happily accepted. I've found in FM16 that if you set your chairman to sign players he does a better job than the DoF/GM.

Archived