AS Roma

Hello

Im playing with Roma, now I need some advice to get my tactic working in my favour. I play a counter flexible setup, TI: retain possesion, shorter passing, play out of defense and prevent short gk distribution.

AS-Roma-formation-tactics.png

PI: Maicon cwb a: run wide with ball, tackle harder. Castan cd d: mark tighter. Astori cd d: mark tighter. Cole fb s: run wide with ball, tackle harder

De Rossi regista s: mark tighter. Pjanic ap a: roam from position. Naingolan bbm s: move into channels

Iturbe w s: close down much more, tackle harder. Ljacic if a: close down much more, tackle harder, roam from position

Destro dlf a: none

How does this look? I want to play a possesion based game, thinking that Pjanic will be the man who gets it going with assists and goals. Assisted by my wide men Maicon, Iturbe and Ljacic. Also want Ljacic to get some goals and Iturbe making more assists. Also a bit unsure about the role of De Rossi as regista, but I want him to contribute a little offensively as he has a great shoot from distance.

So how can I get this to work?

Hi I am not an expert but I believe that your midfield is weak because the Regista will roam about and the Box to Box Midfielder will be running up and down the pitch. As the Advanced Playmaker is attacking to try and link midfield with attack, you will be exposed defensively as all of them will get forward. You would be better of with some kind of sitter/holder like Anchor Man, Deep Lying Playmaker (Defend), Defensive Midfielder (Defend) etc. If you wanted to keep the Regista, then I would recommend changing the Box to Box Midfielder to a Deep Lying Playmaker (defend) or Central Midfielder (Defend).

On another note, as your Left Winger is cutting inside, no one is giving support on the Left wing so you could change your FB(s) to a WB(s/a) to provide more width. Also Retain Possession and Pass Shorter which is not a good idea generally because it will mean you make lots of passes but you won't risk losing the ball so you are playing almost just like Man United, Keep ball. I would take Retain Possession off and keep Pass Shorter on. Then you will keep possession but still attempt to create chances.

When I play with Roma, I tend the prefer to play De Rossi as a CM.

A Deep Lying Playmaker(Support) in one of the CM positions, and an Anchorman behind him. I found he'd support the Anchorman when defending, dictate the game when we had the ball, and would sit just behind the attack when they approached the oppositions box. Often using this position to score screamers from outside the box if we couldn't break down the defence, or off of opposition clearances.

DM / Anchor / DLP to give more "muscle" to the defence, a FB that supports a winger and CWB that gives width and overlaps the IF, this one creating space cutting inside.

A CWB cuts inside rather than offering width.......

CWB have the roam from position option activated if I remember correctly? So a full back starts out wide, the only natural place to roam is in field from out wide, other wise he would be roaming off the pitch.

Completely fair and logic:) but still:

1- He can just hug the line. If considering the player's boundaries of his position, a vertical movement is also roam from position as the player goes beyond his boundary.

2- If you are fully accurate, than my doubt is still to consider: if the player can only roam inside, why is the Cut Inside PI available. Shouldn't it be activated ???

But then if you wanted him to hug the touch line you'd choose Wingback surely? Roaming wouldn't just restrict him to coming inside. My understand is, roaming selected for a wide player, like you said logically/naturally would have him come inside, but also allow him to come back out to the wing.... Where as cut inside would have him cutting inside probably 9/10 due to the instruction you have given him. Roaming allows him to go into space as he sees fit, though the nature of his behaviour will depend on many factors including your formation, oppositions formation and other things as that will determine where the space his as he roams looking for the ball.

i think that's correct, seems logical.

I don't think its too bad personally a lot of the game is just based on logic, it only gets confusing if you think about it that way, forums are good for what they are for, sometimes people can give you a different perspective which helps you think about something so you can understand.

I don't think its too bad personally a lot of the game is just based on logic, it only gets confusing if you think about it that way, forums are good for what they are for, sometimes people can give you a different perspective which helps you think about something so you can understand.

Well, I after all I didn't say nothing out of this world according to Lines and Diamonds: The Complete Wingback will look to burst forward whenever possible and offer width to the attack although he's free to cut inside. It seems our mods have different interpretations of the CWB :)

Everyone does though? CWB in game is only the interpretation of the role of whoever coded the role, just same as any other role/position. The same for players, you could give a selection of instructions to any two players and they will interpret and play those instructions differently,as they are two different players and not clones of one another.

In the example of a CWB... You could take the CWB role on the game... Give it too 3 left full backs in the real world... We could say Massimo Haidara (Newcastle), Ceser azpilicueta (Chelsea) Joleon Lescott. So, three completely different players, IMO this how they would potentially interpret the role on paper.

Haidara, is a old fashioned full back in my opinion, get up the wing and cross. So thats how he will interpret the role.

azpilicueta is a right full back playing on the left, so he will naturally drift in field onto his favoured foot and being allowed to do so with roam from position ticked.

Lescott is neither a full back nor attacker. so he is hardly going to be drifting around the pitch looking for the ball, he may occasionally, but for the majority he wont be doing anyting outlandish as it isnt his game.

One role, 3 different players who would more than likely adopt the role in different ways. Its the same for the game, the people who code the game will have different opinons on what certain roles should offer towards others who play the game.

Absolutely, I guess that is the part where player attributes (in FM) do its part, different attributes, different players, different performance and / or behavior on the pitch and since three players can act differently, obviously there will be different interpretations. Still, in terms of FM, I say "The CWB is supposed to give width" and it seemed this was something completely odd to say because as the mod stated A CWB cuts inside rather than offering width....... . Well, it seems he doesn't, he's supposed to give width, although he can (or not, because he has the freedom to choose) cut inside. At least this is what we can read in lines and diamonds.

But there is your quick answer, and im sure they will agree with me on this, there interpretation is in the same context and just a interpretation of what they will want from the role. There's no right or wrong answer to what the role shows, football is an opinionated game. People can give basic outlines of what roles do on the pitch, but it might not be what you see that role doing/or expect from the role.

If if you want wide play from a CWB it's more than likely they are going to be the showcase of your attack, so more than likely (again not always, this is my idea) I would be playing a narrow formation 4312 etc... To allow the CWB the space to run into, if there's playees in front of him he may be running into traffic and following the space in field. Playing wingbacks on attack or fullbacks with players drifting inside will naturally create overlaps as they aren't allowed to roam.

But there is your quick answer, and im sure they will agree with me on this, there interpretation is in the same context and just a interpretation of what they will want from the role. There's no right or wrong answer to what the role shows, football is an opinionated game. People can give basic outlines of what roles do on the pitch, but it might not be what you see that role doing/or expect from the role.

If if you want wide play from a CWB it's more than likely they are going to be the showcase of your attack, so more than likely (again not always, this is my idea) I would be playing a narrow formation 4312 etc... To allow the CWB the space to run into, if there's playees in front of him he may be running into traffic and following the space in field. Playing wingbacks on attack or fullbacks with players drifting inside will naturally create overlaps as they aren't allowed to roam.

bold = exactly :)

And that's exactly why it is such a ballache for SI to try to come up with tooltips and descriptions which satisfy everyone.

It's impossible to satisfy both greeks and trojans, but this also shouldn't be a motive for not improving decriptions and bad labelings. More clarification just makes the game more enjoyable.

It's impossible to satisfy both greeks and trojans, but this also shouldn't be a motive for not improving decriptions and bad labelings. More clarification just makes the game more enjoyable.

But what I was saying is every clarification won't suit everyone. What may make sense to you and what you expect from something may not make sense to me and vice versa.

It's the same as a BBQ sauce it may be too sweet for you, but not for me. A role may "roam" too much for you and not agree with your interpretation, but it may make sense to me. It's just a game where you've got to be really open minded and realise FM is a numbers game and look at formations also and eventually you will find the formula what you want from the game.

All the people you look up to within th game whether it's Cleon, rashidi, Rtherringbone or even me... We all didn't just stumble upon our understanding of the game, trial and error and watching what different instructions did and reading what other experienced people have wrote in guides is how you learn and appreciate what seems to be limited, is now a fantastically adaptable game for everyone with different ideas of football should be played :)

You can't please everyone, believe me, over the years I've come to appreciate the fact that I would take a lack of clarity over descriptions over a better match engine any day. Where there are definite factual errors over descriptors, these are raised and if you feel strongly that something isn't worded correctly, this would be a good time to raise it. Not here though, over at bugs forums would be a good place to start.

You can't please everyone, believe me, over the years I've come to appreciate the fact that I would take a lack of clarity over descriptions over a better match engine any day. Where there are definite factual errors over descriptors, these are raised and if you feel strongly that something isn't worded correctly, this would be a good time to raise it. Not here though, over at bugs forums would be a good place to start.

Indeed :) but both here as in the stupid questions thread I didn't raise it as bugs: here was simple an opinion and in the stupid question thread was a real question, this one due to what it seems to be a bad labeling or at least it might be confusing.

Archived