Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by MoongooseMcQueen:

The son of a long-deceased Albanian dictator is now the manager of a very bad Ukrainian football club for no discernible reason.

Ukraine's probably the easiest place for the challenge, but this team really really sucks so it kinda balances itself out.

Not really. It would have the most money but when you become a good team and are trying to win the CL the most important thing is the league's reputation because it will restrict how high your club's reputation can go. So the easiest would be turkey or greece since those leagues have a reputation of 14. I am in Belgium which would be the next easiest with a reputation of 13.

Well I finished my transferring of players. I got Standard as a parent team and that let me get 2 good players on loan. I had a huge squad to begin with, something most people doing this dont have. I am happy with my transfers but I told the board I will win the league so we will see if that happens. Should be an entertaining first season in charge.

My first game was a cup game and I had only 1 striker available so I had to get a 16 year old striker from my u19s who is hopeless and doesn't have any potential neither according to my assistant. However he scored 2 goals in the game as we won 5-0.

Anyway my club also got taken over however the new guy in charge didnt invest any money or anything so it was pointless. At least there was no transfer embargo.

So far going good, got into the 5th round of the cup which was the expectation of me and now I need to defeat teams from higher divisions to keep going but hopefully I can do it. League games haven't started yet. I think thats all for now. Next update in january or end of season.

Transfers

Takeover

Takeover1

Quick question for Gundo. I am able to scout just in Belgium however now that the Olympics are coming I can send a scout to the Olympics. So I would be allowed to sign any players scouted at the Olympics even though I wouldnt be able to scout them at there clubs?

Originally posted by Gundo:

Welcome and good luck to all new starters. icon14.gif

Jimbo. Anymore news on the Jimbo v Little Jimbo match-up?

Not really.

It's still early days and filling the squads when we were competing for the same players caused a fed disputes to be settled WWF style icon_biggrin.gif.

It's been slow to get into it with both of us playing though, but rest assured I will keep you updated.

Originally posted by DS:

Quick question for Gundo. I am able to scout just in Belgium however now that the Olympics are coming I can send a scout to the Olympics. So I would be allowed to sign any players scouted at the Olympics even though I wouldnt be able to scout them at there clubs?

Never mind this. I dont see the point of sending scouts to scout the olympics when it seems they have done nothing. No player reports or anything.

FK Zeleznicar Nis 2008/2009

Serbian First League

A strange season it was, very inconsistent. I ended up finishing 1 place above the drop zone, which is alright I guess, but considering the fact that there are 6(!) teams gaining direct promotion, and I was 2nd at one point, I was a tad dissapointed. It all went wrong at christmas. I blame Santa. I didn't get to play any cup competitions all season. Cups suçk anyway.

Final league table

League positions

I'm not quite sure why there are 6 teams gaining direct promotion, will have to wait another month or so to find out. My guess is due to league restructuring, as the current Superleague only holds 12 teams. I couldn't find anything useful on the internet though, my Serbian isn't what it used to be.

Squad

My team. 9 of my starting 11 were new signings, and I expect the two players that weren't signed by me will be replaced this summer. All players are from Serbia or other countries that used to form Yugoslavia, with the exception of defender Yideonwor(Nigeria) and striker Barrios(Argentina).

I've bought and sold quite a number of players, most of them before the season started. Players in for a sum of €11k, I sold a shipload of players for a total of €18k.

Noteworthy players

Top scorer: Gabriel Barros

The Argie striker didn't need a lot of time to settle, scoring a hatrick on his debut. He's best described as inconsistent. As his goals dried up, our form plummeted. Managed to score 3 goals after christmas.

Central Defender #1: Boris Savic

Looks pretty good for a 21 year old defender in the Serbian first division. My assistant tells me he has reached his potential though, shame.

None of my other players really deserve a mention, they were doing fine the first half of the season, and collectively crap the second half.

Next Season

In come a 17 year old goalkeeper and a 17 year old striker, both have the potential to become good superleague players according to my scout. I've also already signed a tall target man, I lacked a good header up front. Avoiding relegation shouldn't be a problem. But I expect there won't be 6 teams gaining promotion next season, so I doubt I'll manage to really challenge for promotion.

Is everyone applying the Beta Patch and how are you all finding it?

Yes - makes a huge difference to the match engine, which now looks and plays really well IMO.

Don't know whether it has sorted the confidence issue though. I'm about two thirds through my second season with San Marino, and about to find out!

Originally posted by Clarence Seedorf:

Serbian First League

A strange season it was, very inconsistent. I ended up finishing 1 place above the drop zone, which is alright I guess, but considering the fact that there are 6(!) teams gaining direct promotion, and I was 2nd at one point, I was a tad dissapointed. It all went wrong at christmas. I blame Santa. I didn't get to play any cup competitions all season. Cups suçk anyway.

Final league table

League positions

I'm not quite sure why there are 6 teams gaining direct promotion, will have to wait another month or so to find out. My guess is due to league restructuring, as the current Superleague only holds 12 teams. I couldn't find anything useful on the internet though, my Serbian isn't what it used to be.

Squad

My team. 9 of my starting 11 were new signings, and I expect the two players that weren't signed by me will be replaced this summer. All players are from Serbia or other countries that used to form Yugoslavia, with the exception of defender Yideonwor(Nigeria) and striker Barrios(Argentina).

I've bought and sold quite a number of players, most of them before the season started. Players in for a sum of €11k, I sold a shipload of players for a total of €18k.

Noteworthy players

The Argie striker didn't need a lot of time to settle, scoring a hatrick on his debut. He's best described as inconsistent. As his goals dried up, our form plummeted. Managed to score 3 goals after christmas.

Looks pretty good for a 21 year old defender in the Serbian first division. My assistant tells me he has reached his potential though, shame.

None of my other players really deserve a mention, they were doing fine the first half of the season, and collectively crap the second half.

Next Season

In come a 17 year old goalkeeper and a 17 year old striker, both have the potential to become good superleague players according to my scout. I've also already signed a tall target man, I lacked a good header up front. Avoiding relegation shouldn't be a problem. But I expect there won't be 6 teams gaining promotion next season, so I doubt I'll manage to really challenge for promotion.

Nice update icon14.gif

I played in Serbia with Novi Sad on FM07 so it's interesting to see the changes that have been made to the league structure. On FM07 there was just 1 automatic promotion place, and a quite arduous playoff system. Presumably they are expanding the Superliga to 18 teams or so, I guess it'll come clear when you play the next season.

Did Novi Sad get promoted to the First Division at the same time as you, or were they there from the start of the game?

Originally posted by Konquest:

I'm coming back to this challenge... icon_biggrin.gif

Holidaying in Switzerland as we speak, in hommage of one of my friends who went back to his native country after a 2 years in Canada...

Super! Welcome back mate. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clarence Seedorf:

Serbian First League

Final league table

League positions

Squad

Noteworthy players

Next Season

Nice update icon14.gif

I played in Serbia with Novi Sad on FM07 so it's interesting to see the changes that have been made to the league structure. On FM07 there was just 1 automatic promotion place, and a quite arduous playoff system. Presumably they are expanding the Superliga to 18 teams or so, I guess it'll come clear when you play the next season.

Did Novi Sad get promoted to the First Division at the same time as you, or were they there from the start of the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Superliga now consists of 16 teams, in the 2009/2010 season. 2 Teams now gain automatic promotion, whilst there are 4 playoff spots, with 1 team getting promoted.

Anyway, this makes Serbia an interesting league to start off in, as you can quickly get promoted to the highest division. I failed miserably, and it'll be a lot tougher now.

Budakalaszi 2008/2009

Hungary Division 2 West

The Season

A slow start to the season saw firmly in a relegation battle come the halfway point of the campaign, a change of tactics though and some new additions saw us lose just 1 of our 15 final games and saw us finish a respectable 12th in the 16 team division.

Final table

The Squad

When i took over at the club we had 6 players registered to the books four of whom were over 38 and the rest youth teamers.

During the pre-season i made changes to the squad.

There were no standout players within the squad but my Player of the Year award went to the clubs top goalscorer Nick Lenicheck the American who scored goals from midfield despite being largely unhappy during the season.

Next season

If we manage to get a couple of strikers who score i believe we challenge for promotion.

Gundo I return to your famed challenge!

After loosing interest in Dafuges (not that is is a bad challenge at all, more the fact I have played LLM england far too many times) I am back in the thread.

This time I am not going to Austria (well not straight away anyway icon_wink.gif ) so Seekirchen are safe from my (mis)management (though I did have a good time there if promotion was about as far as we got!)

This time I have loaded up the mighty league of Finland. Holidaying as we speak and looking forward to re-participating in this challenge! icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Alurny:

After loosing interest in Dafuges (not that is is a bad challenge at all, more the fact I have played LLM england far too many times) I am back in the thread.

This time I am not going to Austria (well not straight away anyway icon_wink.gif ) so Seekirchen are safe from my (mis)management (though I did have a good time there if promotion was about as far as we got!)

This time I have loaded up the mighty league of Finland. Holidaying as we speak and looking forward to re-participating in this challenge! icon_smile.gif

Welcome back. icon_smile.gif

Good to see you've gone for a Scandinavian nation aswel. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Welcome back. icon_smile.gif

Good to see you've gone for a Scandinavian nation aswel. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought I would give Finland a go as it has a fairly low reputation and I have a friend from there! icon_smile.gif

I managed Sweeden once before FC Saxamaria (sp?) there was a large challenge-esque thread on taking them over on 2006 (I think).

I am using the Beta patch is this ok Gundo?

Originally posted by bnek:

Budakalaszi 2008/2009

It's Budakalász icon_wink.gif "Budakalászi" means "from Budakalász". I went just by their pitch two days before (I did photography in the nearby sports hall), it's not exactly the new Wembley. icon_biggrin.gif

You've managed to sell a guy (Sütöri), who is IRL sitting in jail for drug dealing icon_razz.gif

Don't be surprised if you change groups in the future, while in the second division: Budakalász is by the bank of the Danube, and can be put either of the groups. (this applies to all second division teams from Budapest or from Middle Hungary near the Danube)

Originally posted by cookie15:

Just wondering if anyone has managed to come across Patrik Burda in this years challenge?

He's gotta be in the game still, the guy is an FM Legend icon_wink.gif

I'm sure he's still in the game. icon14.gif

cookie did you see this that someone posted a link to earlier in the challenge thread. Article.

I will post up my profile when I get in (currently "working" in the uni library!) Looks like it is going to be hard going though looking at my scout reports on the free transfers. Much harder than England where I picked up several players in the first season that by season 5 were Championship quality. icon14.gif

Just finished my uni work for the week ( icon_biggrin.gif ) , so should be able to get a fair few hours in over the next few days.

So far, things have been going pretty nicely in the town of Magherafelt. Progressed through the ILC group stage as group winners (but could have very easily gone out in 3rd place) and we're unbeaten after a handful of league games.

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Just finished my uni work for the week ( icon_biggrin.gif ) , so should be able to get a fair few hours in over the next few days.

So far, things have been going pretty nicely in the town of Magherafelt. Progressed through the ILC group stage as group winners (but could have very easily gone out in 3rd place) and we're unbeaten after a handful of league games.

*jealous*

icon_frown.gif I have an exam in a week and a report to prepare for. Revising whilst the game is saving ftw!

Originally posted by emgergo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bnek:

Budakalaszi 2008/2009

It's Budakalász icon_wink.gif "Budakalászi" means "from Budakalász". I went just by their pitch two days before (I did photography in the nearby sports hall), it's not exactly the new Wembley. icon_biggrin.gif

You've managed to sell a guy (Sütöri), who is IRL sitting in jail for drug dealing icon_razz.gif

Don't be surprised if you change groups in the future, while in the second division: Budakalász is by the bank of the Danube, and can be put either of the groups. (this applies to all second division teams from Budapest or from Middle Hungary near the Danube) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha very informative, any photos of the ground? icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bnek:

Sure:

Budakalász ground </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cannot believe you'd fit 3,000 fans in their! icon_eek.gif

I also think it's no more than 1500.

I remember seeing Budakalász back in the mid-90s in the 5h tier playing away at Szokolya (a small mountain village, where our weekend house is). Match finished 4-3, it was played in a downpour, and an old woman (about 70 years old) told the DC of Budakalász (after the umpteenth foul) to f*** off before she comes and teaches her a lesson with her stick. I nearly passed out laughing, it was sheer quality icon_biggrin.gif.

I also think it's no more than 1500.

I remember seeing Budakalász back in the mid-90s in the 5h tier playing away at Szokolya (a small mountain village, where our weekend house is). Match finished 4-3, it was played in a downpour, and an old woman (about 70 years old) told the DC of Budakalász (after the umpteenth foul) to f*** off before she comes and teaches her a lesson with her stick. I nearly passed out laughing, it was sheer quality icon_biggrin.gif.

That's why i enjoy going to lower league games, you just don't get stuff happening like that in the top flight. icon_biggrin.gif

Sure:

Budakalász ground </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a seat in sight, LLM at its best. Didn't expect it to be that basic, just finished my second season will update later. Thanks!

If anyone in here could help, it would be much appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone knows much about computers and processors and RAM and all that, could they drop me a PM so i could ask a couple of questions.

This is related to the thread (in some way icon_wink.gif) Just looking into getting a new laptop, so I can do this challenge and Dafuges.

icon14.gif

Budakalász 2009/2010

Hungarian Division 2 West

Following last seasons survival the aim for this season was always further consolidation within the division. Despite a difficult start which saw us win just one of our first 7 games we soon hit a run of form which would eventually lead us to a top 8th place finish.

The Squad

The squad this time around had alot more depth than that of its previous campaign, Bojan Bozovic was for me the key signing the Montenegran striker arrived on a free transfer and hit a goal every other game. Strike partner Hegedus ended up as the clubs top scorer and was voted the 2nd best young player in the Division a great honour for the club. Defensively we still need to improve i've never felt entirely confident about a keeper at the club and the priority will be to strengthen the defence as a whole.

Next season

Defensively we need to improve, a whole new look defence is a possibility come kick off next season. Elsewhere a few more goals from the wings wouldn't come a miss. With only one going up its time to send the scouts out!

Originally posted by Supermas2:

If anyone in here could help, it would be much appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone knows much about computers and processors and RAM and all that, could they drop me a PM so i could ask a couple of questions.

This is related to the thread (in some way icon_wink.gif) Just looking into getting a new laptop, so I can do this challenge and Dafuges.

icon14.gif

I can't help i'm afraid, don't know that much about Comps just the basics. Sorry.

Gundo!

I'm afraid I have to abandon this save due to a Turkish registration bug, which simply doesn't allow to register newly acquired players (in the summer transfer window I've holidayed through, that did the trick, but the winter registration is ****ed up again).

I'm sure it's a bug (and at another countries there also seems to be a problem with the registration), but it's not been logged yet.

I'm starting over in a different league (with NO registration). At the moment I don't think I can do much else, however, I keep the save file hoping that a patch corrects the problem.

Gundo!

I'm afraid I have to abandon this save due to a Turkish registration bug, which simply doesn't allow to register newly acquired players (in the summer transfer window I've holidayed through, that did the trick, but the winter registration is ****ed up again).

I'm sure it's a bug (and at another countries there also seems to be a problem with the registration), but it's not been logged yet.

I'm starting over in a different league (with NO registration). At the moment I don't think I can do much else, however, I keep the save file hoping that a patch corrects the problem.

Sorry to hear that emgergo. Good to see you've logged it in the bugs forum, hopefully someone from SI will take a look at it and get it sorted for the patch.

Archived