Villareal are the most reputable club in the world- never won a major competition (2029)

In my game Villarreal are the world's most reputable club in the world (one of 5 five-star along with Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Atletico) but have never won a major competition, as far as I can tell haven't got a tycoon (judging by transfer history, never more than £6m) and are a consistent 5th-9th-finishing team in La Liga. No remarkable affiliate clubs either.

Its 2029. Issue?

One almost world-class player, La Liga is 2nd and has been for 4 years (behind the premiership), furthest they have ever got is the QFs in the Europa League (2028 and 2018), early knockout rounds when they qualify (generally every 1-3 years). Barca, Real, Atletico consistently getting to major finals/winning La Liga, English teams winning the European competitions consistently too.

Just looked in a different menu- they did have a tycoon join at the very end of 27/28, withdraws funding at end of 28/29. All they did was upgrade training facilities. Is that enough to boost reputation to best in the world?

They are 32nd in the rich list with a value of £189m

Interesting situation, then. I figured you could have a scenario where they did well and had great players but just didn't quite win trophies - kinda like Inter Milan in the 90s and early 00s. Or maybe where they didn't elevate so much as other big clubs fell off, perhaps due to league reputation.

If no one else has other suggetions or possibilities, might be worth posting it in the bugs forum.

Did they have many of the players winning the world cup in the last 3 champions?

I doubt it, winners were Mexico, Argentina, Germany in the World cup, France, Germany, Holland in the Euros- they've had mainly Spanish players. One major outgoing transfer to Real Madrid at £11.75m (31 year old Spanish defender)

Perhaps the tycoon boost the rep ... and it didn't drop after funding was withdrawn

This might be the thing then... If it is and the tycoon has withdrawn his funding, their reputation might drop again over the seasons to come. Would be interested to see if that is the case.

UPDATE!!!

Villarreal are no longer the most reputable, sinking down to a lowly 3rd, just ahead of Barca and Real but now behind Bayern in 2nd. So top??? Champions League winners AC Milan? Nope... Man City after scoring 117 league goals this season in the top league in the world??? Nope... It is the giants of...

Real Sociedad. Tycoon takeover number 2 in Spain.

Last year in FM14 I filed a bug report with a similar problem.

My team Red Star FC had only won two French league titles yet the team had world class rep. Also Valencia had world class rep without winning anything. They had a tycoon though.

SI answered that it was too easy to gain reputation and that they would look into it. Probably a good idea if OP would file a new bug report...

The most reputable club in my save for many years has been Ateltico... Mineiro, in Brazil. Followed by the usual suspects of Barca, Chelsea, Bayern, Man U, PSG Real M, us (San Marino) and then Man City and Boca rounding out the top 10.

They have been very dominant in the Brazilian league for many seasons though.

It is currently November 2027

I'm Ajax, been in the semi-final of the Champions League 4 times in the last 5 years, still my reputation is only the 20th biggest in the world. I agree that the Netherlands may be a small country but I'm 4th in the club coefficients table, hence there are only 3 teams that have done better in Europe in the last 5 years. There are clubs with a bigger reputation from Russia and Portugal whose leagues are ranked even lower. Plus, they haven't done anything in Europe. This is in 2022 by the way.

While it does seem excessive, isn't this done to illustrate how rich clubs in smaller leagues like China, Aserbaidjan and Kazakhstan are able to attract (relatively) big stars?

Otherwise the game couldn't show how players choose a contract in the Middle East or China over a European club, which would normally have a much higher reputation. Or show how newly-rich clubs like Monaco were able to sign big stars in Ligue 2 or as a newly promoted Ligue 1 club.

Money talks, it seems :)

While it does seem excessive, isn't this done to illustrate how rich clubs in smaller leagues like China, Aserbaidjan and Kazakhstan are able to attract (relatively) big stars?

Money talks, it seems :)

OP said that Villareal has no tycoon and as for my savegame, I am among the top 15 clubs, finance-wise, I have a transfer budget of 150m.

• 8 months later...

Hello all,

I have the same situation, i am at Real Madrid in 2026, won all the trophies possible for the last 5 years, but still, Valencia is the most reputable team. They were second and forth in La Liga and this year got to the semifinals in Champions League and that is it. i am in 4th place in the world in finance and they are 12th...

This is very strange from my point of view...

Happened on my save as well, around that same period (2028-2030) when Levante was the most reputable club in world football. Their highest league finish up to that date was 5th, and they never got past the last 16 of the Europa league.

Archived